Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    My thinking was that although dogs cool down via their tongues, misting him down might keep him from getting overheated in the first place. In fact, in view of his coat, wetting him down from time to time might be better (and save the misting for yourself).

Better to have a cool wet dog with you in the Jeep than a sad dry one at home. :shades:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The longer I carry this on this monologue, the more excited RA gets.

I think that's bordering on cruelty to animals! But then Ross Allen may already know he's going and gets a kick out of how you carry on for him so he just plays along. ;)

tidester, host
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Last year I picked up a little 12 volt fan that plugs into the cigarette lighter for Ross Allen. I mounted it to the back of the center console, so I could aim it at RA.

The wires had to be spliced, and I don't have a good connection. I could fix that real easily, but I just didn't know how much help that fan would be. Maybe that in conjunction with wetting him down once in a while would help?

Tomster

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    hey,, my animal science degree may come in useful!!

yes,, panting is their main method of eliminating heat from their bodies,,, they have a few sweat glands on the pads of their feet but nothing compared to people .

pigs don't sweat either, lots of hog houses are equipped with misters, and if you've ever been to the county fair and walked through the barns, you've probably seen people spraying their hogs with water. it takes heat to make the water evaporate, as the water evaporates, it takes heat with it, ( same as sweating does for us )

I'm not sure that a dogs fur would allow the water to cool him down the way it will on a pig or a person

jeff

FYI Rabbits have large ears and dissipate heat by pumping more blood through the large surface area
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    They use these :lemon: over in the Buick discussion grroup.
    FYI Rabbits have large ears and dissipate heat by pumping more blood through the large surface area

So what you're saying is that if the dog dresses in an Easter Bunny costume he can be kept cool by spraying his ears? Or, if he shaves his body to look like a pig the misting will definitely work? I'm beginning to think he might be better off at home after all. :blush:
    actually I think Tom is just using Ross Allen as an excuse to get the hard top back out and wheel in the Air Conditioned Comfort of Thelma J.

jeff

my top has been up the last several days and AC crank'n
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lol, and I thought the Subaru post was a bit far afield. We have a invasion of feral Easter bunnies in my neighborhood and we can easily see over 40 by taking a morning or evening stroll.

Ok, pardon this topical insert into the conversation:

Spy Photos: 2007 Jeep Wrangler (Inside Line)

Or maybe those aren't spy photos at all, but Randy and Tom's latest method for keeping bug juice off the paint?

Steve, Host
    Wow. That article got me psyched for the next Jeep. Thank god they're staying true to the roots (though the writer was a bit harsh on the Liberty crowd :P )

I've always thought a nice ancillary benefit of Jeeps is that the designs are long lived, which is to say you don't have to trade in every other year to stay current and, dare I say, trendy.

-Mike
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Yep, dog tongues are essentially it.

With the slow crawl speeds at TB and the fact that with the trees you won't get much wind, a mist system on the roll bars or even under the lip of the rear of the tub that aims around the rear of the jeep, combined with you fixing that fan, would be a good combination for ol' RA. Since you never use your safari top, what about adapting that to cover the rear only for him as well? It would give him more shade as well.

-Paul
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    My wife was never the type to ask, "so...where have you been"??

However, since Saturday, she HAS developed this little thing about asking, "so...what Jeep accessory site have you been into today?"

...was only a matter of time....!

Randy
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    One day, I'll start offering help here instead of pestering everyone with questions, but I am determined to get a cab cover for eXcalibur so I won't have to worry about opening/closing the top everytime I see a tiny cloud (remember...I'm "sick", as my lovely wife says...).

This is a link for a cover on e-bay, which appears to be what I need, and reasonably priced. Think this will suffice, or go with the Mopar cover? I don't see any difference, other than the price.

Tom: by the way, I have a shitzhu who thinks he should be the driver rather than the occupant. He's pretty hyper and gets too excited to drink as often as I think he should. However, most vets will agree that a dog will drink when his body tells him to. I, too, mist him down, but typically just make some stops and offer him water. If he just stares at me with that dumb look, I tell him, "well, if you go get dehydrated, don't blame me!". His tongue is constantly hanging out, cooling his system through the sweat glands in his tongue.

Randy
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42611&item=4554343370&rd- =1
    Personally, I'd only go with Bestop or the RainGear covers. They are waterproof, not just resistant. I have no first-hand experience with Smittybilt tops, so I can't really tell you if they are good at keeping water out or not.

-Paul
  • normisnormis Member Posts: 9
    All -

2 Questions:

First, what do you use to clean your soft windows?

Also, my wife took my baby ('05 unlimited) to the beach this weekend. Before she left, I cleaned the rear window with some windex and a paper towl, dried it off, rolled it up and secured it with the elastic straps. When she got to the beach, she unrolled and zipped up the window, which looked fine (the jeep was parked right next to the ocean). The next morning, she didn't clean the window, but rolled it up, secured it, and drove home. When I unrolled it, it looked "smudged" (I think scratched) all across the middle. Could this have been from not cleaning it prior to rolling it up again (salt air maybe)? Anyway, is there anything to do about the smudges/scratches?

Thanks,

Norm
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Paul is right, why gamble on a cover to save a few bucks? The advantage of the Mopar is that you can use it with a Bikini or the soft top in place. The advantage of the Rain Gear cover is that you can use it with the doors off. I love my Mopar one.
    NORM!

I bet you still get that one a lot. The reason your windows are scratched is because you used a paper towel. Paper towels scratch plastic. You need a very soft towel. I use microfiber towels from Target. You can use some Pledge furniture polish on them to minimize the scratches and to clean them. Bikers use it all the time on their plastic windshields. Works great. You should also invest in a Window Roll or use a towel to roll the window up in.
  • Hi Norm,

First, avoid using Windex on any of your plastic windows. I read it somewhere (manual? this forum? the Wrangler video?)...window cleaners should not be used on the plastic windows. I think the ammonia in window cleaners may risk prematurely clouding your plastic windows. I think quadratec.com sells a cleaning solution especially for plastic windows...I suppose Mopar does, too. I need to look into that myself.

I got the exact same blemish on my week-old '05 Unlimited rear softtop window after having it rolled up with the Sunrider open this past Sat. for a trip to my nephew's graduation party about 160 miles away via highway. I cleaned the rear window using warm water on a soft cloth wiping left to right before rolling it up and had those abrasion marks as you described. I think it's just from all the wind turbulence moving that rolled window around for a few hours. Clean plastic against clean plastic is still plastic against plastic. The lessoned I learned was I should have bought the Window Roll I've heard mentioned in this forum, removed the window entirely, and safely stowed it in one of those soft books of felt rather than leaving it rolled up for the trip.

I hate having anything get blemished on our new Wranglers, especially when they're only weeks old. We can read all the information supplied by the good members of this forum but I'm sure we're still likely to learn some of these things the "hard" way on our own.

I don't want our new Jeeps to get damaged at all. However, even as things get "dirty" or "dinged" on our Jeeps, I'm amazed yet again at the experience I'm receiving owning a Wrangler. I've never owned a vehicle where I could see anything positive about "blemishes" but here again, the Wrangler astounds me! These "blemishes" seem to simply add individual character. Blemishes like these on regular vehicles really are "black eyes" but not the Wrangler...blemishes are showing Wrangler "attitude" and "experience." Again, please don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them not get any cosmetic scrapes or bruises but it does seem the Wrangler wears them well.

Good luck,

Jim
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I have the Bestop cover that looks like the one shown. Keep it in a small sports bag I got at a garage sale. Toss it in the back when I have the top down or off. I have only the soft top, but I take it off a lot. With it off, I need something I can use to cover the TJ when I will be away from it for a while. If the top is just down, I sometime just flop it up if I leave it. I have learned never to trust the weather. I have done the drive home with a couple of inches of water sloshing around in the front thing. Bad sinking feeling when you find it. It is amazing how well it dries out, seats and all.

Terry
  • Hi Keats - Are those microfiber towels at Target a disposable towel or are they a cloth towel you wash when dirty? Are they in Target's automotive aisles?

Thanks - Jim
    When washing the jeep, soap and water works well. Microfiber towels or a clean chamois work well to dry.

When storing, clean them first!

If you want to clean the windows, you can also go with convertible window cleaner. BMW sells some, you could use Pledge, but that will attract dust to it. I think Maguire's makes some kind of cleaner too for plastic windows. Windex and Glass Plus and those type of cleaners will indeed fog your windows much faster!

If you go to the beach, I wouldn't roll the window up when you're leaving. The sand will tear it up bad if you roll it, as I'm sure you found out. If nothing else, lay them down in the back with a towel between them to help, but don't roll them or squeeze them together tightly.

-Paul
    When washing the jeep, soap and water works well...............

Should really emphasize a soap formulated for car washing and not dish detergent. Dish detergent works really well to remove any existing wax or polish from the surface.
    Yep, that is what I meant. I use Zaino. When I know I'm doing a wax job, I'll use the dish detergent though to help get any of the old stuff off. :)

Now, if I could just find something that will get the stuff off my doors that runs down off my soft top, down my window and onto my lower half doors, I'd be happy. It looks almost like some kind of mineral deposit, but haven't found anything that will work.

-Paul
    I'd be happy. It looks almost like some kind of mineral deposit

I was wondering about that. Glad to know it's not just my Jeep.
  • rp05rp05 Member Posts: 20
    Greetings,

I'm looking for some opions on a pending tire upgrade for my Unlimited that's on order.
    My 5 GSA's for:

5 BFG A/T 31/10.50R15 out the door $365.00 / $73.00 per tire.

Is the price decent? Any comments on the BFG's A/T's

Thanks,
    Ron
    I
    They're allowing you about $40 each for your GSAs, a little less than they'd pay for them wholesale. Seems reasonable to me.

The BFG A/Ts perform very well in just about everything except deep mud. I have them in that size myself and I'm very happy with my choice.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Greetings Tom. I have travelled alot with dogs, usually in a convertable. I like the mister idea of MAC's. I also like the idea of a bikini type top to shade him. The other suggestion would be a hair cut. Not to look like a pig of course but a little trim to keep him cool. Is he long haired-can't remember from the pictures. Good Luck, John
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Hey Keats. I've noticed that the rear window can scratch if the zipper touches the window after being rolled This can happen easily when its rolled up when still attached and hung on the loops provided in the upper rear window space. I simply put a towel to cover the zipper, roll and place in loops. I like your idea of the microfiber towels. Have to check it out. Door noise????? My window roll now works well and minor to no crimps in windows. Thanks for the recommendation. Anyone out there ever encounter a Jeep show-like a car show but all Jeeps. I went to a truck show in Connecticut a month ago and to my delight there were 5 various Jeeps there showing their stuff. Just curious. Go Easy, John
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Tom, thanks for posting the pic. I found your email you sent to me several months ago about posting pics on edmunds. Fiddeled around with it today and figured it out. Thanks Again Tom!!!
    Oh Tom the pic i took was not the most difficult crossing i attempted just the only one i could manage to get out and take a pic without falling in the creek or getting wet, and i still almost did that too!!! I had one crossing where the water came up to the door seal and a steep departure where i engaged the lockers. It would have been much more difficult (given my limited offroad experience) to exit without the lockers as my tires were spinning until i locked em.....Im hoping to go back soon and have another jeeper take their jeep, then i will try the mud boggs......lol......
    Yeah, you wash them over and over. I buy 3 packs of them and use them for all sorts of things like washing the car.
  • will_sebergerwill_seberger Member Posts: 6
    Hello all,

Some unfortunate soul decided to break into my '05 Wrangler last night and steal everything in my glove box. Those items stolen include the manual, registration and warranty paperwork. Lucky for the thief that my alarm did not go off, because I probably would have caused him a great deal of 'remorse' for messing around with my 2 week old jeep.

Having vented about that situation, I'd like to know what you folks do to boobytrap/protect your jeeps. As an example to get things started, on my old GMC, I superglued razorblades to screws and bolted them under the steering column and CD player, as well as the box that held my amp. They were removeable when I took the car in for service so that no one was unintentionally harmed, and I told everyone who rode in the car about them so as not to cause unintended harm to non-thieves. This device was tested on one occasion, and resulted in blood all over my floorboards and a CD player still in my dash.

Cruel? Yes. Effective? Definitely. I belive firmly in karma.

Non-lethal suggestions only, please.

I'm also having the alarm upgraded to a motion sensing device too this weekend.

A pit-bull sleeping in the back seat is another option I'm investigating.

Thanks!
    Hey, John,

Door noise is indeed back and now it has company. The passenger seat has started groaning. *lol*
    its worth the $$$ to get something to keep your windows in. I was placing my windows on a soft cloth on the garage floor which worked great. However, there was no protection from my 2 1/2 year old riding over the top of my windows in his Jeep, Ouch!!! It left several small scratches i can live with but i learned fast i need to put em up safely so have a storage bag on order!!!
    my driver side door started making noise about a week ago during opening or closing. I found it to be the rubber seal is rubbing against the frame so can live with that. My drivers seat is also making a very soft sqeeking noise off and on. If it gets louder then i will be concerned for now its not bad enough but i have a feeling once it starts it not going away!!!
    First, sorry to hear about the theft.

We've had a lot of discussions in here about whether or not it's wise to lock the glove box and console at all. Getting your stuff stolen vs. getting your stuff stolen and having the box/console damaged. Was your glove box locked?

I use my box and console all the time, though not for any big ticket items. Others here will advise you to never store anything. Leave 'em empty AND open.

Add-a-Trunk seems a little more secure, though not 100%. The motion sensor is probably the best bet, though again not 100%. Also, maybe welding a lock box into the back?

Once heard that the ol' razor trick was illegal (though I'm certainly not going to disuade you).

Personally, I'm a big fan of the James Bond alarm. Touch the Lotus and it explodes.

-Mike
    sorry to read of your breakin and especially just after purchase! Ive had at least 5 break-in on different vehicles of mine during the past 22 years of driving. Now i stick with stock everything and leave no valuables to be seen if any are in my car. On my wrangler i have no valuables at all and just leave it unlocked including the glove box and console. The only thing to be stolen in my jeep are the doors and top i figure and a stock radio. A jeep buddy of mine needed a radio so we installed a nice one a few months ago, i tried to talk him out of it. Anyway, his jeep was broken into and they attempted to steal his radio which he bolted into the dash. They just tore up the radio and sliced his windows.....i dont know if its worth locking a soft top jeep.......
    Will,

Sorry to hear about your theft. I am one of those people that leave very little in my Jeep that can be stolen. That amounts to a flashlight, tire gage and a pair of cheap sunglasses. I have a slightly upgraded radio (not very expensive) which I hope they don't want. As goofy as it sounds, I generally only lock mine (with the windows up) when the top is down. My thinking is there is nothing to cut through (top or windows). To steal anything, they will have to climb over the side which might attract some attention. If the top is up, I leave it unlocked mostly to protect the top from damage.

As far as scratches go, it seems as much as I have tried to protect them, the plastic windows get scratched. Pretty soon, you just don't notice them. You just have to get over it.

Terry
    Just keep it simple...................leave the glovebox and console open so it can be seen that there's nothing there, and leave the doors unlocked.

Satisfying though the booby traps may be, you could possibly be inviting a revenge attack and who knows how things could escalate.
    To steal anything, they will have to climb over the side which might attract some attention. If the top is up, I leave it unlocked mostly to protect the top from damage.

I agree with this. Don't these thieves realize they don't have to slice the top -- they can just unzip it!!
    I've been meaning to ask.

1) When rolling up the back window and suspending it in those two straps for venitlation, do you remove the cross bar or roll it with the window?

2) Wrangler's got a 19 gallon tank, right? Fuel light comes on, which indicates 2 gallons left. But when I fill up, she fills up to 14/15 gallons which means approx. 4 gallons are left, not 2. Do I have this right? Trying to calculate my mileage.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'd like to know what you folks do to boobytrap/protect your jeeps

Protecting your jeep is fine but boobytrapping may be illegal. I propose we stay away from discussing the latter.

tidester, host
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    Terry - here's a picture of the logos on my hood. Even though my sons are college-age, I think they still enjoy the fact that their Dad is cool enough to own a real Jeep! :shades: If I were to ever trade for something else..... I don't think they'd be too supportive!
    Hood Logo

Hope I did this Url thing right!
    my gas tank low warning light comes on at about the same time as yours,, I've not ran it out yet to see exactly how accurate it is,, ( and don't plan to )

yes,, they are 19 gallon tanks.

jeff
    Mike:
    regarding question 2 - - you should fill your tank, reset your trip odometer to zero, and drive until your next gas stop. Fill up again, note your mileage (which is the mileage you've driven using whatever amount of fuel you just topped off your tank with). So, the number of miles divided by the gallons added to re-fill the tank gives you a close value for mpg. I say close because a single tankfull has too much margin for error.

Ideally, start at zero with a filled tank, and run several tanks through the vehicle. Take your total accumulated miles, divide by the total gallons used (again, after topping off your tank) - gives a much better assessment of your average fuel economy. I think Mac mentioned using GPS info instead of the odometer to try and minimize any errors there as well, but for most people this method works well. At least you'll detect if something way out of line occurs.

Hope this helps!

Gary
    Gary, that really looks good. I have a son in Austin (also an Aggie). He goes to College Station once and a while, I will get him to pick me up one. Thanks for the idea.

Terry
    I've got a husky/malamute who loves to go for Jeep rides, especially top-down. When he was about a year old, my boys, Bandit and I would take every opportunity to cruise out thru the countryside for some Jeepin'. He had great balance, I drove carefully, and he'd often have his front paws standing on the metal edge in order to maximize his "tongue cooling"! He was absolutely in his element during these times!

One day, my wife decided to take her inaugural topless ride with Bandit and me. Seemed like a good opportunity to expose her (not literally) to Jeepin' topless. Anyway, Bandit took his perch and absolutely freaked her out! She was totally uncomfortable with his position, afraid he would plummet out I suppose. I tried to assure her that he did this all the time and was quite skilled....blah, blah, blah. Well, she hated the ride, as did Bandit. We decided then and there: no more topless rides in the Jeep with Mom AND Bandit!

It is a cool look, topless with a "wolf" in the back! Yeeee-hawwwww!

Gary
    Keeping a running total of miles driven and gallons purchased gives the most accurate mpg. The more records you keep of it the more accurate it gets by smoothing out the different cut-off points of the pumps, the kind of driving you did on that tank and maybe even the weather.

Here are the numbers for Red Ryder.

2000 TJ, 4.0, auto, mostly city. 24,804 miles, 1,748.7 gallons =14.18 mpg.

Terry
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I've definitely decided that my better gas mileage is mostly due to my driving conditions - the gas I save going downhill is more than what I lose going uphill. This past weekend I drove the Unlimited (auto) from Frazier Park (almost 6,000 feet elevation) to Vegas (2,000 elevation?) and back. Going to Vegas (downhill and with a tail wind) I got just over 20 mpg for both tanks. Coming back (uphill and with a head wind) I got just over 16. My general average (almost all highway, and about 6,000 feet elevation loss and gain) was 17 mpg until I started driving no faster than 65. Now my general average is just over 18 mpg.
  • jackpdjackpd Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to all (mtngal, oldscout2, embeeduece & tsjay ) who replied to my question regarding hard / soft tops, I appreciated all of your input. I bought an '05 Unlimited with dual tops - (it seemed like a good deal - almost 3K below Edmund's invoice price (including rebates)). It's silver with black roofs (hope to get the hard top off this weekend), "H" package, auto tranny and side steps.

:)

Jack
    sorry,,not jeep related,

my uncle's german shepard ( Yogi ) the best dog I've ever known, used to stand on the truck toolbox, with his most of his body above the top of the cab, with us driving down the blacktop 60+ mph,.

I wish I had taken pictures of that, he was quite the dog!

jeff