Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Just bought an 09 Odyssey... Dealer pushing for extended warranty

boomschtickboomschtick Member Posts: 2
I wanted to get a few more opinions on the deal i just got. I found a 09 Odyssey EX for 18,500 with 22,000 miles on it. I'm pretty content that is a solid deal.

The part that I need help with is on the extended warranty. It's NOT through Honda. It is through a company callled Alpha. The dealer says that it's a zero deductible bumper to bumper warranty and that all issues will be dealt with directly between them and the Honda dealership. They are quoting a price of about 1870 for 6 years or 100,000 miles.

The sales guy started telling us that we WILL have to have work done on the power door motors, the engine mounting bolts, CV boots, among a few other things.

I have read threads here on Edmonds about problems with the transmissions in the 09.

Personally, I'm with Clark Howard and believe that extended warranties are all about money in the dealers pockets, and are not in the best interest of the consumer.

I was wondering if these things that are "sure" to happen are really a ticking time bomb like he wanted me to believe.

If I need to get it to cover myself, I will, but it just seems like a suckers game to me.

What do you folks think?

Comments

• trystanj23trystanj23 Member Posts: 1
    Actually Clark Howard has changed his opinions on extended warranties on vehicles. He says he is all for them as long as they are bought through the factory dealership. I would also have to agree that a warranty on an odyssey or any mini van with all the new electronics is a good idea.
  • boomschtickboomschtick Member Posts: 2
    Yea... I have heard him say that, but I didn't think that I could get a Honda warranty once the original bumper to bumper expired.

Is that right?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Not that I'm aware of.

Extended warranties are nothing more than an insurance policy. An expensive insurance policy. How risk adverse are you?

And be careful, aftermarket insurance companies come and go and often people are left holding the bag. Check them out!
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    There are a lot of rip off's in that business so check them out with the BBB first if your planning on getting one. Depending on how old the van is and how long your going to keep it, that insurance could be a good idea. There is so many electronics on these vans and the cost to fix them has gone way up. Just fixing an A/C if the compresser goes out could run close to a thousand.
  • suzyrsuzyr Member Posts: 3
    I agree, BBB rating is very important! Don't forget to do your research before extending your warranty.