Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X1 Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    You're very welcome voldermort.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • voldermortvoldermort Member Posts: 67
    Hi Car_Man, so I've ordered my X1 and because I only wanted cold weather package and leatherette seats I have to wait 6-8 weeks. That seems like a long time. Also, the lease quote they gave me is $369 36months @ 12k. I don't know if it's high or great. Would you know?
    Hi voldermort. I certainly can take a look at this deal and give you my opinion on it. Do you know this vehicle's MSRP and selling price? Those figures would be very helpful in my analysis.

Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
  • joshdentjoshdent Member Posts: 15
    Car man,
    I was in the BMW dealer yesterday negotiating a lease on a BMW X1 xDrive 28i with 15k for 36 months. The money factor used was .00140 NOT .00130 as listed above in a previous email exchange, although the residual was identical. It was clearly displayed on the auto lease calculator we page the dealer went over with me, and this was for top credit class. I don't know where your sources are for this information- is it possible the salesperson had it wrong? Do I have to review it with them? "Could you please recheck the money factor?" Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Hi joshdent. The .00130 money factor is definitely correct. If I was working on this deal I personally would make sure that the dealer used it to calculate my monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • timc01timc01 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car Man,

Can you please advise MF and Residual for X1 10k 36mths? Are the Feb rates available yet?

Also do you have the rates for a one-time payment lease? I know these are different.

Thanks!
  • collurapcollurap Member Posts: 1
    If you leased the x1 as described, would you mind posting the final details (purchase price, monthly payments)? I'm looking for pretty much the same specs and terms. thanks
    Certainly timc01. According to the latest information that I have seen, BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 X1 xDrive28i with 10,000 miles per year are .00130 and 60% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

I don't often see information about advance-pay leases, but the last time I checked into BMW's program it provided a .00080 money factor reduction for them.

Car_man
    Host
  • voldermortvoldermort Member Posts: 67
    Hi Car_Man, well I've asked them for the paper work, and they haven't sent it to me. I'm not sure if it's a great deal......also, I'm wondering if you know if the $500 i gave them is refundable if for some reason, I don't like the numbers? It's really taking a long time, and I'm begining to think there will be surprises with the numbers!
    Thank you! :cry:
    Hi voldermort. If you haven't physically taken delivery of the vehicle and it wasn't some sort of special order then any deposit that you made would likely be refundable. Though this should be clarified prior to making any deposit to begin with, you should have a strong case for getting the $500 back if you don't go forward with the deal. Having said that, the fact that it should be refundable and actually getting the dealer to give you money are two entirely different things. I have found that it is often very, very difficult to get dealers to give money back once it's in their hands.

Car_man
    Host
  • sepi60sepi60 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2013
    Hi everyone,

Can someone please post the latest numbers for money factor and residual value for 10,000, 12,000, and 15,000 miles 36 month lease of xDrive 28i X1?

I appreciate your help.
  • jasonmdbmwjasonmdbmw Member Posts: 117
    .00130 and 60, 59, and 57% residuals
  • residual_riskresidual_risk Member Posts: 5
    Hi Jasonmdbmw, could please share the RV for the X1 for 19000 miles?

Thanks
    The residual will stay at 60% for 15,000 miles but there will be an $1800 charge for an additional 4,000 miles at $.15 per mile
    Jasonmbmw,

You probably mean:

"The residual will stay at [57%] for 15,000 miles but there will be an $1800 charge for an additional 4,000 miles at $.15 per mile"

right?
    Hello everyone:

So, I'm trying to practive my calculations before going to the dealer today, but something doesn't add up. For the lease special offered at:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/Vehicles/2013/X1/xDrive28i/

with MSRP of $38,345, $725 Acquisition fee, $750 loyalty rebate, and $3,624 first month (including $2500 down, $725 acq. fee and 399 first month payment), I get monthly payments of $412 (pretax and excluding license and reg), when I use 0.0013 for money factor and 0.6 residual factor for 10,000 miles per year.

Here is my calculations:
    Net Cap Cost = 38345 (MSRP) + 725 (acq. fee) - 2500 (down payment) - 725 (acq. fee paid upfront) - 750 (rebate) = 35095

Month depreciation = (35095-23007)/36 = 336
    Interest = (35095+23007)*.0013 = 76

Total = 336+76 = 412

Am I missing something? why do I get $412 and not $399? Does this lease special come with lower money factor maybe?

Thanks much
    Thank you!!
    Thank you Sepia!
    Yes you are right. Sorry about that, was looking at the wrong residual.
  • spydervr4spydervr4 Member Posts: 5
    Does the MF posted above for the 28i apply to 35i as well?

Thanks
    Yes it does
    Hi Everyone,

The dealer that I'm negotiating with tells me his money factor is 0.0017 for X1 because they are in red. I guess they want me to think that they are selling at loss. (I got a price about $800 above Edmunds.com invoice price, and $300 above the dealers invoice price - Their invoice price was $500 more than Edmunds.com apparently due to advertising fee).

So, anyways, I walked away, saying that the market rate is 0.0013, and if they can't afford it, I won't take the deal.

Now, the dealer has called me again, offering to cut from the price to account for the higher money factor. (They need to cut at least $1200 to match the difference).

What do you think about it? Should I go for it? or this is just another gimmick of a dishonest dealer, and I better avoid them altogether?

Thanks,

sepi
    Hi sepi. I personally don't see why the dealer insists upon marking up your vehicle's money factor to the point that they are willing to sell you the vehicle below invoice minus incentives. I personally prefer to do deals as straight forward as possible with the buy rate money factor and whatever real selling price I can negotiate.

Having said that, if you have shopped around and this combination of a higher money factor and an abnormally low selling price results in the lowest monthly payment for the vehicle that you want then I personally don't see any reason not to go for it.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks much Car_man,

In fact they didn't offer me $1200 discount, but just $200, plus a bmw rebate that I was already eligible for, and had taken it into account myself elsewhere.

So, I passed on their offer.

Thanks,

Sepi
  • hugo5hugo5 Member Posts: 68
    Hi Car Man,

Can you please advise MF and Residual for X1 10k 36 months for April?
    Are there any incentives or cash backs this month?

I am looking at this car:
    http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x1/2013/options.html?sub=suv

Thanks,
    Hugo
    I just heard back from the dealer (via email, so didn't have chance to discuss and ask). I told him I was looking for a basic X1 8 speed automatic, rear wheel drive, base color and interior (no extra charge), possibly with sun roof and heated front seats, (but not a must, to keep cost down), $1000 out of pocket, everything else rolled in.
    With those extras, on Edmunds it has a
    Total invoice Price $30,825
    and an MSRP of $33,445
    He told me that he found two matching cars and the monthly would be around $600!!!!
    I had an X3 three years ago and paid less a month. Can somebody help me do the math?
    Are there any incentives? I am not a returning customer, as we had a Jetta for the last three years, and what are the numbers for April?
    My wife would like to come in around $350/month, and looking at last months without incentives (didn't see if there were any) I can tell that I will probably not be able to get there, but anything close would be good.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Hugo
    MF .00129 and RV 59% for 10k/yr for 36 months. There is a $500 lease/APR cash on X1's for April
    edited April 2013
    Thanks Jason,
    I am using webcalcsolutions auto lease calculator and am not sure if I am doing this right and maybe you or somebody else can help me here:
    I priced out the car I want on Edmunds with an
    MSRP - $32,195.00
    calculated at $1000 above invoice price (29,685)
    so $30,685.00
    -$1000 out of pocket
    -$500 lease cash you mentioned

and ended up with this monthly:
    $375.84
    I am trying to get to the monthly having rolled everything asides the out of pocket into the monthly (tax, etc)
    Am I doing it the right way, or am I missing something?
    The BMW advertisement mentions acquisition fee ($725) and destination fee. Edmunds only accounts for destination fee. Looking at this calculator, I see that I have not filled in the following:
    Tags/plates
    title fee
    registration fee
    acquisition fee

How do I get this and do I need it to get to the right amount?

I was also looking into a Tiguan, and after pricing it all out on Edmunds, the dealer told me that I have to pay for first aid kit and floor mats, which added another $1000 that I didn't account for. Is this something BMW will do as well and do I have to get this. Sorry, for the long question and being somewhat uneducated about this. I try to be prepared going into negotiations and they will always find a way to come up with something I didn't calculate, which throws off all calculations I have done, and am not sure wether I can contest it.
    Thanks again
    new quote from the dealer:
    MSRP $31695
    aprox. selling price $30695
    $1000 out of pocket
    $450/month

is this a fair deal?
    Whats the sales tax for where you will be titling the X1?
    Hi Jason,
    I am in Brooklyn, NY (kings county), so I think it's 8.875, correct?
    Yes it looks like that is correct. And the payment they told you seems to be correct. You could probably get alittle lower but overall its good
    Hi Hugo,

If you live in a place with enough competition (e.g., at least 3 BMW dealership within 100 miles distance), you should be able to get the invoice price with no markup on the MF or the acquisition fee. I personally won't pay more than $500 above the invoice under any circumstances. (I got an X1 this Saturday for $100 below invoice and no markup).

And if in-stock X1s don't have the options you'd like, or if the dealer that has the one with your desired options is not willing to give you an acceptable price, remember that you can always order your car from another dealer. It just takes 6-8 weeks.

Also use the Multiple Security Deposit program, where you put in security deposit equal to 7 monthly payment (rounded up to $50), and that reduces your MF by 0.00049. (Google for BMW Multiple Security Deposit program if you don't know what that is).

Also, depending on where you leave there may be about $200-$400 training and ad fees charged by the dealer. That's normal. Plus title and registration and 1st month payment, you will be looking at around $1000 drive off (plus ~$3000 security deposit). Put zero down. You're payment for the car you initially asked about (MSRP $33,445), should be around $400 including tax if you can get the invoice price.

Remember to always negotiate the price, and not the monthly payment. Make sure it is clear that you want to lease and you're asking the buy rate money factor and BMW's acquisition fee with no mark up.

Sepi
    Oh, If you live in NY, I've heard MSD is not available in NY state. Not sure though. I've heard people buy in NJ to use MSD program.
    Thanks Sepi,

That's some good information. Googled and seems like that program is not legal for dealers in NYC.
    Any chance you (or anybody else for that matter) might be able to give me a quick help on trying to work numbers myself?
    If I know the MF and residual, the tax %, MSRP and invoice price of the car I want to buy, what else do I need to put into my calculations and where do I find out about these?
    To explain: Edmunds includes destination fee
    what about acquisition fee, title, plates & registration in order to figure out what I have to pay upon signing.
    edited April 2013
    The math is actually pretty simple, and you need to learn it well before going to the dealership, if you want to get a good deal. There are many websites that teach the details of how to do the calculations. Edmunds.com has the following page:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/calculate-your-own-lease-payment.html

I personally have never depended on online calculators. The math is simple enough to do it using a calculator and a piece of paper.

Here is a short version of what is described in details in the above link:

What you need to know in order to calculate your monthly payments:

1- MSRP (Say $31,695)
    2- Residual Factor for your desired annual mileage. Multiply this with MSRP to get residual value. Based on what Jason said above for 10K miles on X1, April RF is 0.59. So for the above MSRP, the residual value is $18,700.
    3- Money Factor. The buy rate money factor offered by BMWFS is the one Jason mentioned above. Dealers usually say 129 instead of 0.00129. They are allowed to mark up the MF by 40 base points and keep a cut. Since you live in NYC, you should have no problem getting the buy rate money factor.
    4- Acquisition Fee: $725 is what is asked by BMWFS. Dealers are allowed to increase it to $925.
    5- Negotiated Price: Start $500 below invoice, get you first best offer from one dealer, and try to get counter offers from other dealers over the phone. Keep your "ordering" option open so they don't pressure you on what they have in stock. Make sure they don't mark up MF or Acq fee to compensate for their discounts (ask them if they do over the phone). Note that you have to add about $500 on what Edmunds.com says as invoice price to account for training and MACO fees.
    6- See what rebates you can get. Jason mentioned $500 incentive for 2013 cars (I guess they are trying to clear their inventories for 2014 models).
    7- Decide how much down payment you want to pay. People usually pay $0 down, since if you total your car, you lose your money.

Ok, here to calculations:

Capitalized Cost = Negotiated Price + Acquisition fee
    Example (assuming you negotiated 30695) = 30695+725 = 31420

Net Capitalized Cost = Cap Cost - Rebates - Down Payment
    Example = 30695 - 500 - 0 = 30920

Depreciation = Net Cap Cost - Residual
    Example = 30920 - 18700 = 12220

Monthly Depreciation = Depreciation/36
    Example = 12220/36 = 339

Monthly rent = (Residual + Net Cap Cost) * Money Factor
    Example = (30920 + 18700)*0.00129 = 49620*0.00129 = 64

Monthly Payments Before Tax = Monthly Depreciation + Monthly rent
    Example = 339+64 = 403

Monthly tax = Tax rate * Monthly payments
    Example = 403*0.08875 = 36

Monthly payments after tax = 403+36 = 439

To drive off, you have to pay first month payment + Title + Registration + some other small fees and taxes that should not exceed $100.

That's it. Simple :)
    Wow, thanks so much for taking the time. This is exactly what I needed.. Title and registration, etc, I can just ask dealer?
    Yeah, for title and registration, you can ask the dealer. They can't mark it up anyways AFAIK.

The ballpark is around $400 for X1 in CA. It should be pretty similar in NY.
    You're welcome Sepi. A $200 discount? I would have passed as too.

Car_man
    Host
  • ranjohnranjohn Member Posts: 17
    Hugo5's MSRP was around 33k and the monthly payment is 450??!! Am I missing something here?
    Because 3 series usually have better residuals: 64% for 2013 328i Sedan with 12k mile per year vs 59% for 2013 X1 xDriave i28.

If X1's residual were 64%, Hugo's payments would have been $393 instead of $438.

Sepi
  • ranjohnranjohn Member Posts: 17
    I know BMW plays with its residual values a lot. Do you know the app. X1 with a MSRP of 42000 (top credit, 0 down, 36/12k) lease will be?

Thank you!
  • ahdannaahdanna Member Posts: 52
    Hi guys - can someone post the May MF and Residual for X1 2.8 for 3 years with 10K and 12K miles per year. Thanks!
    Hi guys - can someone post the May MF and Residual for a 2013 X1 2.8 for 3 years with 10K and 12K miles per year. Thanks!
    .00127 MF and 59 and 58%
  • dgklidgkli Member Posts: 11
    And what are the May MF and residuals for 2014 X1 xDrive 28i?
    Thank you Jason!
    Same MF and 58 and 57% residuals for 10 and 12k miles/yr. For the 2014's you will lose the $500 Lease/APR cash
  • kdraregkdrareg Member Posts: 56
    What is the May 2013 MF and Residuals for X1 sDrive28i for May 2013?
    10k/12K for 36/39/42 months.
    Thanks.
    Here's the information that you're looking for, kdrareg. BMW Financial Services' May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 X1 sDrive28i with 12,000 miles per year are .00127 and 58% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 42-month lease are .00127 and 51%.

The residual values for leases with 10,000 miles per year would be 1% higher.

There is a $500 cash incentive on leases of this vehicle in May.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.