Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Toyota RAV4

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited August 2012 in Toyota
Seen on the street. Big news is no spare tire hanging off the back and no more rear door hinged on the wrong side.

The real thing is supposed to debut at the 2012 LA Auto show.

2013 Toyota RAV4 Spotted in Southern California (Straightline)

Comments

• gene22gene22 Member Posts: 34
    Here it is October 2012 and the 2013 model has not been released, announced, etc? Hello, Toyota!
  • 02whttrib02whttrib Member Posts: 39
    I agree, this is ridiculous, November 2012 and no 2013 RAV4 pictures or even a hint at what it'll look like!! (I've seen the camo'ed versions) I'm on the wire to buy a Ford Escape but wanted to see, at least, what the new RAV4 would look like before I got the Escape. If no V6 is offered I'll be going with the Escape.
  • empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    edited October 2012
    Obviously you'll see it in LA soon, but I wouldn't expect a V6. Toyota hasn't been selling them, and the CRV can't stop selling with it's 4-banger.

Why get the Escape when IT DOESN'T offer the V6 you want? The Rav4 offers a V6 now, so......get it! :confuse:

You contradict yourself well....
    BD
    I would expect the Camry's 2.5 engine, plus the Camry Hybrid engine. I'd be surprised if the base Rav4 isn't more efficient than the class-sales-leader CRV.

And Lexus will offer a version next fall.....
  • ilikecars562ilikecars562 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the same market. Two words, "Ecoboost Turbo". I had one on rental some time ago. Unless you're looking for the towing torque of the V6 Toyota, the Escape feels just as lively to drive. Too bad it doesn't compare to the current Rav 4 for cargo space.
    Expect to see the All-New Rav4 in LA at the end of the month..... ;)
  • kjtg1kjtg1 Member Posts: 12
    emailed the dealer and toyota to findout when the rav4 would be on the lot and got no response..
    The Toyota press releases say January they should start to hit, so expect to see a reasonable stock of them by the end of February
  • liz00liz00 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove one earlier this week, didn't have a problem finding one to test drive, but each dealer only seems to have a couple so no choice on which model to try out. It was very nice to drive - I was concerned since I haven't owned an SUV before, but it was easy to drive. The dealer said it hadn't offically launched yet so no sales brochures, no info on pricing for various options. The 2 cars on the lot had the price stickers on them based on the options they had. I also emailed Toyota and they also said there are no sales brochures yet and no eta on when they will be available.
  • tklientklien Member Posts: 20
    Rav 4 2013...wonder why no release yet. This is like Feb. Is there a problem with vehicle. There is no other 2013 not for sale as of now ???????
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2013
    Toyota let Edmunds Road Test one and the review was posted just yesterday (but the editors had it for a few weeks and put 800+ miles on it). That's gotta be a good sign. From the link:

"That said, the 2013 Toyota RAV4 is among the best in almost every other category. It's comfortable with a full load of passengers, has plenty of cargo space when there are no passengers and delivers predictable, if tepid, performance no matter what's onboard. And even though it won't change the world, it delivers all the things an SUV of its type should to those with more reasonable expectations."

About the only negative was the gas mileage.

You may want to go to Toyota.com and sign up for the updates.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    A local dealer has a XLE and a Limited on the lot, looks like a nice improvement from the previous generation, only thing missing is the V6 engine.

Much better looking w/o the spare tire on the rear of the vehicle.
  • rav4dustinrav4dustin Member Posts: 1
    I can't wait to get behind the wheel of the 2013 Rav4!! It is so sleek and from the reviews, it sounds like it is top-notch! Although there are a few less-than-perfect attributes, it is considered among the best in its class and that is good enough for me... I will be purchasing one of these this year! I'm sure it will be worth the wait... Now, if I can only decide on a color... Hmmm ;)
  • lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    stopped last saturday to check out the new rav, i do not like it at all. reminds me of the new ford escape,felt cheap inside and it was the limited model. i understand that car manufacturers have to reduce the weight in vehicles now to try to meet the epa mileage standards but it looked cheap. i hated the old one having the tire on the back so that was good but do all of the vehicles really have to look alike? i expected better from toyota, i am a disappointed toyota owner. rav will not be on my list of suv's to consider, thats a shame
  • dennisgdennisg Member Posts: 12
    That's not my observation at all. I have a Highlander Limited, and I think the 2013 RAV4 Limited I bought this past weekend is every bit as well made as -- and even more attractive than -- my current vehicle. The engine on the RAV feels smoother than the V6 in the Highlander, and it gets much, much better mileage. I'm looking forward to many happy years with my new vehicle.
  • mickeymmickeym Member Posts: 10
    I was anxiously waiting for the new 2013 Rav 4 to come out, I am very disappointed with the some of the changes for one, no V6 engine offered. I own a 2008 V6 limited the car is great the new Rav has cheap look to the inside on the limited. My mileage with the V6 is pretty good, I almost 29+ on long distance travel & city is over 22+. I owned 4 other Toyotas in the past & this may be my last.
    edited February 2013
    Just curious, but have you visited a dealer and looked at them (or do you intend to), or perhaps take a test drive?
  • mickeymmickeym Member Posts: 10
    I have not seen it in person, I read reviews and saw it reviewed on "Motor Week" there are some nice added features but not having a V6 available was a big turn off. I think Toyota made a mistake not having the V6 option.
    edited February 2013
    Thanks. The V6 was popular, especially since lots of owners got as good of mpg with it as people did with the old available four cylinder.

I do like that Toyota got rid of the spare on the rear and went to a lift-hatch.
    I got my rav4 Mondayand like it more everytime I drive it. there is nothing cheap looking about I had a 2006 & 2010 this is the best car (I have had.
  • bpollenbpollen Member Posts: 11
    I haven't made it to the dealership for a test drive yet of the 2013 RAV4. I test drove the 2011 a while back, but ended up not buying a new SUV that year. But I dread having to deal with the aggressive sales people at my local dealership to get to do a test drive, but I must. Anyway, when I test drove the 2011, I had also test driven the Subaru Forester, the Honda CRV, the VW Tiguan, the VW wagon, the Mutsubishi whatever, and the Hyundai Tucson. My impression of the 2011 RAV was that it was sort of truck like. I had to step up a bit to get inside, and it rode more like a truck than a crossover. A nice ride, but I felt like I was in my brother's truck, sort of. I had many other thoughts, too, and had a good impression of it, except for the truck feel. I was wondering if anyone ever had that impression of the RAV, or if the 2013 is not as much like a truck, since the seating has been lowered from the prior models. Any opinions on the feel of the ride would be appreciated.
    I had a 2006 and 2010 rave4 this one is rough rideing compared two those. This one is the liminted with 18 inch wheels.
    "The redesigned 2013 Toyota RAV4 earned a poor rating for performance in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's small overlap front crash test.

Toyota made additional changes to models built after April, improving the stability of the steering column and adding more padding under the footwell carpeting.

"The changes, however, weren't enough to lift the RAV4's performance in the small overlap test," said the IIHS. "A combination of poor structure and inadequate control of the dummy's movement prevented the RAV4 from earning better than a poor rating overall."

2013 Toyota RAV4 Earns Poor Rating in Small Overlap Crash Test
    "Everything that made the RAV4 stand out in the previous generation is gone for 2013.

Instead of being a unique, outlying data point in the category, the 2013 Toyota RAV4 is just like every other crossover in the segment. Without that uniqueness, the Toyota is outmatched."

2012 Honda CR-V vs. 2013 Toyota RAV4 vs. 2014 Mazda CX-5 Comparison Test

• jpatrick2jpatrick2 Member Posts: 17
    Does the dash display that includes outside temp, trip meter and so on, include a digital speedometer?
    The power tailgate I tried at the dealer was extremely slow--is it possible to override the power function and push it down manually? I don't necessarly want to disable the motor, but it would be nice to be able to help it down.
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Ok, so I am looking at the rav4 for new purchase.

1. A sales men told me that there is no longer a power steering pump, that its electronic. Ok so I know a little something about cars so I looked this up. When he says electronic, it really means that the power steering is now a motor. Something that can break still is this true?

2. Same salesmen told me that you cant fill the transmission with fluid anymore. He said you no longer have to do it its lifetime, no dipstick. From what I read you still have to change it but have to do it from the differential on the bottom. So he is also misleading there and can also cause harm to your car. Anyone know the answer?

3. One dealer is saying they are the only dealer that gives a lifetime warranty on the power train. No mileage of year limitation. Yet they hide this sign in the back and don't display it where the customer can see it. Sound like a scam to you?

Just some questions?
  • jpatrick2jpatrick2 Member Posts: 17
    Electric power steering and sealed transmissions have been around awhile and both seem to work well. As far as changing fluid, let your manual be your guide.
    My Dodge Dakota has a lifetime power train warranty provided by the manufacturer. It is simple enough, bring the truck in every 5 years for a free inspection. Have not had occasion to use it yet.
    However, if this is a dealer supplied warranty, I'd read the fine print long and hard, and I bet there is a lot of it.