Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 Sienna ABS/Trac Off/VSC lights

bill384bill384 Member Posts: 4
My wifes car, the ABS, Trac Off, VSC light come on now and stay on. She has to turn off the car and then restart to get them to go away. Any ideas why these three come on and stay on at the same time?

Thanks

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    In my experience a marginal battery voltage will have that effect. Could also be caused by low brake fluid.
  • bill384bill384 Member Posts: 4
    Did this happen to you? What is your experience.

Thanks
  • 4grandsons4grandsons Member Posts: 22
    edited October 2012
    These three indicators all lit at once indicate that an "event" has occurred. Either get yourself a diagnostic code reader or take it to an auto parts store (Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, etc.) and have them read the diagnostic code. Take that code and description to your dealer or mechanic and have them look up any related TSBs (Technical Service Bulletin).
    The diagnostic code reader at auto parts stores typically only read if your check engine light is on. Anyway, as of right now an abs module is on order and I'll let you know if that fixes it when the part is replaced. It's currently removed and the car is operable without blowing the tail light fuse. It just doesn't have abs right now.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    edited October 2012
    VSC and Tracs sometimes come on along with the CEL to further get your attention and push you to fix some emissions issues. Reading out the OBD-II port will get you a P0xxx (emissions related) code only when using a basic $100 meter. But you don't have an illuminated CEL - but you do have a ABS light. So you are correct - you probably have an ABS system problem, and as the stability and traction control systems use the ABS, they are showing up as well.

Just like OBD-II, there are diagnostic codes for the ABS system, but without Techstream (Toyota) or proprietary modules for other laptop bases systems, you aren't going to be able to retrieve these. There is a way to get the ABS system to flash the dash light to show the code, however. I'll have to pull up some info from the service manual if you need to know how. There are dozens of ABS codes, pointing you to wheel speed sensors, brake light switch, etc. Did you have some info that prompted you to change the ABS module?
    Just process of elimination using the schematics in a chilton's manual. Pretty much disregarded the "codes" on the dash. Just started troubleshooting the blown tail light fuse.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Hey, sounds reasonable! Let us know how this works out.