Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003 Outback timing belt

chrisp813chrisp813 Member Posts: 2
edited September 2012 in Subaru
I have had a lot of repairs in the past year and a half on my 2003 outback (well over $5,000). The timing belt just went and I was told I need a new engine by the shop AAA towed to. Looking back at my records I see that Subaru replaced the timing belt in May of 2011. I only put 12,000 miles on the car since then. Is there a warranty on the belt /work? Waiting to hear back from Subaru. I thought timing belts were supposed to last a lot longer. Is there any chance they would replace the engine since the timing belt caused the problem. I really do not want to put more $ into this car. The plan was to get a new car and part out the old car until I realized the timing belt was replaced only 12,000 miles ago at 93,707 miles. I now have 106,459 miles on the car. Would love for Subaru to replace the engine w/o any cost to us. Any chance of that happening? Don't know much about cars. Is there anything that will help our case?

Comments

• chrisp813chrisp813 Member Posts: 2
    I have had a lot of repairs in the past year and a half on my 2003 outback (well over $5,000). The timing belt just went and I was told I need a new engine by the shop AAA towed to. Looking back at my records I see that Subaru replaced the timing belt in May of 2011. I only put 12,000 miles on the car since then. Is there a warranty on the belt /work? Waiting to hear back from Subaru. I thought timing belts were supposed to last a lot longer. Is there any chance they would replace the engine since the timing belt caused the problem. I really do not want to put more $ into this car. The plan was to get a new car and part out the old car until I realized the timing belt was replaced only 12,000 miles ago at 93,707 miles. I now have 106,459 miles on the car. Would love for Subaru to replace the engine w/o any cost to us. Any chance of that happening? Don't know much about cars. Is there anything that will help our case?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    Well, I think it depends on the details. Did the timing belt itself cause the failure (due to defect) or was it something else, such as a seized pulley, that failed, causing the belt to snap? Also, was it an OEM unit that failed? In other words, was it a Subaru branded belt, or another manufacturer?

Your default warranties are long since gone, but then the maintenance schedule is 105K on these belts, meaning that they should always last longer than that. If it truly was the belt that failed, that is a definite manufacturing issue and should be addressed as such. It's a tough situation; especially since many shops offer a 1-year, 12,000 mile warranty on work performed. Any way you slice it, there's no warranty coverage per se.

I think it is important to establish the cause of the failure at this point.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They also call for an inspection at 90k miles. If that was done, they may have caught the problem early.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    True, but that 90K inspection makes the assumption that the original belt is in there. While I agree that an inspection might have caught a faulty belt before it snapped, that would have been shortly after the belt was replaced. I'm not sure it is reasonable to expect an inspection so soon (if we're talking grounds for denying a warranty claim).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Actually, the 90K inspection, if done, would have been on the old belt. The new belt was installed at 93,707.