Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fuel Guage intermittent...

wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
For more than a year now. Sometimes reads (seemingly) correctly otherwise shows empty. Opened the fuel guage wire at the front of the firewall. Open, the guage reads above full, guage input shorted to ground the guage reads empty.

Ignition key must be cycled off-on to get guage to read new input.

Tank actually half full.

Finally unbolted the bed today to get to the top of the tank, unplug the tank connector = full, connected = empty.

Float element was partially filled with gas.

Heated (slowly/carefully) the float element and flame shot from really tiny hole. Burned all the gas out of the float element, soldered the pinhole shut, re-installed.

Covered the wire "clamp" holding the float element with shrink-fit tubing to avoid a repeat.

Works fine.

Comments

• bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    This was a 'usual' problem on 'old' cars. I didn't think newer cars still have a metal fuel float. What year is your truck?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    '93, 140,000 miles, I4, stick, RWD.
  • sirsimssirsims Member Posts: 2
    try replacing the Anti slosh module or as the dealer calls it a signal booster I had the same problem this is a circuit board that in mounted in side the instrument cluster you will have to pull it completely out to get to it