Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ford Escape Gas Mileage

Comments

• tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    edited January 2013
    Automelon, go back and read my posts, it's a hell of a lot more than just the mpg's that I'm slamming Ford about. I had a 2010 Escape that had better mpgs & range than this beast & regretted opting for the "better" "superior" Escape!

Well, if I'm only 1mpg below the EPA figures driving in the winter & using the winter blend, then the Escape was a complete disaster this summer. I guess comparing the two isn't "apples to apples" but considering the two are close enough in epa mpg figures (same hwy, 2mpg difference in city) then the Escape should've had better #s driving in better conditions this summer. I never got better than 22mpgs in mixed driving & it's only when you combine the mixed with the straight highway miles did it go above the 23mpg city rating (23.5). I hand calculate everything & keep a spreadsheet.

As far as the comparison in weight & hp/torque, the added 500lbs has a HUGE impact on real life comparisons between the two. I subscribe to Consumer Reports, here are the comparisons of the tested vehicles:

0 to 30: Escape(4wd) 3.4 Crosstrek 3.8
    0 to 60: 9.9 9.7
    45 to 65: 6.5 6.6
    Quarter-mile: 17.5 17.5
    Quarter-mile: 80 82

So the Escape is quicker to 30 but slower to 60, with passing time (45-65) a statistically insignificant .1 second difference. So all that HP & Torque advantage the Escape has is completely wasted because of the weight.

Fuel Economy Tests:

CR's overall mileage: Escape 22 Crosstrek 26
    CR's city/highway: 15/31 19/34
    Crusing Range: 335mi 420mi

So much for the "ECO" in that ECOboost. The Crosstrek came out +1 in EPA hwy and -6 for the city. The Escape -2 in EPA hwy and -8 for city.

Yes, I'm slamming Ford, not on the old Escape, but this new Escape that sucks eggs as far as I'm concerned!!!
  • automelon48automelon48 Member Posts: 105
    tinycadon, Glad you have found a vehicle you like. For whatever reason, I am able to get 24+ MPG combined in winter driving conditions, with the bigger engine and have trailer towing power and passing power to spare. I have had zero problems with my Escape. Perhaps I am lucky, or perhaps you are unlucky. In either case, happy motoring in the future!
    There are far more "unlucky" new Escape owners than lucky, maybe you live somewhere where they have pure gas and not 10% ethanol??? I had issues with the MFT system as well, things working, not working, turning on and off for no reason & then 3 recalls for engine fires was enough for me. Glad you are satisfied with your car, I wasn't and I loved it at first, sad.
    I used the Fwd EPA #s instead of the 4wd EPA #s when I calculated the Consumer Reports test figures, the Escape did get +1mpg for hwy and -7 for the city not -2 hwy & -8 city.
  • johnnyumajohnnyuma Member Posts: 54
    I understand the variable factors that contribute to the actual MPG that one may see (ie ethanol content, outside temp, head wind/tail wind, snow/ice on the road, driving style etc).

However, my 2013 Escape Titanium is the 5th new vehicle I've purchased since 1998. With the previous 4 vehicles I was able to obtain the EPA hwy mileage (cruising on the interstate @70 mph - the posted speed limit where I live) after a reasonable break in period. I've yet to come close to attaining the hwy mpg on my Escape (the best I got was about 24 mpg cruising @70). The best I've achieved - about 27 mpg was cruising @ 55 - 60. I'm at 24 mpg overall - just like the sticker says. But I live in a small town and I don't really drive in city traffic. My vehicles have always had a bias towards the highway mileage.

I have 2,700 miles on my vehicle. I understand the 2,000 - 3,000 mile break in period stated in the owner's manual before we should check the mpg. So far it's not looking too good for the hwy mpg (in my case). But I'm not officially disappointed yet. I'll be patient and give it more time.

The final exam will be next month when I head to Florida (from SW MI). I'm planning a round trip of about 3,000 miles with quite a bit of time spent on the interstate. I'll post the results after my trip.

But I'm beginning to think Ford engineered this vehicle to perform on the EPA test and not on the road (wrt to fuel mileage). If so, they may be technically correct and passed the EPA test but could lose in the court of public opinion.

Overall, on all other factors I'm extremely satisfied with my new Escape! The vehicle's performed flawlessly so far (even the My Ford Touch)!
    "There are far more "unlucky" new Escape owners than lucky, maybe you live somewhere where they have pure gas and not 10% ethanol???"

What's your source for this conclusion? or is it simply an emotional knee jerk reaction? I'm interested in the hard data source.
    Hey Johnny, read the thread before attacking my assertion, unless you go around personally testing out every single Escape on the road yourself where's your "Hard Data" to support your assertion that most people ARE getting close to EPA ratings? You want "Hard Data" then buy yourself a subscription to Consumer Reports like I did, their "Hard Data" is right there in their "Hard Data" tests. In a 4wd 1.6L SE the "Hard Data" they came up with was 15mpg in city driving, 7mpg under the EPA rating of 22mpg. Is that "Hard Data" enough for you???
  • escapeismescapeism Member Posts: 39
    Pretty much mirrors my mileage experience. Not sure I made the right choice with this turbo.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Let's try to keep the focus more on the Escape and less on each other please.
  • dons8dons8 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2013
    I have to agree with FortherRock - I have a new 4WD Escape Titanium and a new Focus Titanium in the drive and neither is coming close to their city or highway MPGs. I just did a 3 hour drive down from the Sierras and even with an hour coasting down hill for a 38 MPG average it was down to 24 by the time I got home - virtually all the last 2 hours at 70 MPH on interstate. I like everything else about the two cars and I quickly learned the quirks of the Ford information system, but the gas mileage is a real disappointment ..... especially the Escape which has been averaging around 17.5 MPG in city driving for my wife. I'm really concerned that since MPG ratings have suddenly gotten important Ford is rigging their ratings. Both cars are over 1000 miles now and I'll watch carefully and try to take the Escape on a long level drive (btw - it only did 19.5 MPG going up to the Sierra's).
    I'm not even remotely close to questioning my choice about the 2.0L turbo. I wanted more hp than the 4 cylinder competitors (Honda CRV, Toyota RAV 4 and Mazda CX-5) that I test drove before I bought the Escape. As I recall, all 3 of those vehicles have about the same City mileage rating and a slightly better Hwy mileage rating than the Escape EPA rating. The 2013 versions of those 3 vehicles are also unavailable with larger engines with more hp. That's why I chose the Escape (I really liked the CX-5 and maybe would have bought it if not for IMO an underpowered engine). I also thought about the Chevy Equinox. The Equinox is available with a 3.6L V6 (301 hp) that has an EPA Hwy rating of 23 MPG. I was not impressed with the Chevy. Overall my Escape is an excellent vehicle. My overall mileage is right on at 24 MPG and maybe after several thousand miles the Hwy mileage will approach 28MPG (In the vehicles I've purchased in the last 15 years - I've generally seen improvement in fuel efficiency once the mileage has climbed beyond 10,000 miles).
  • usa1fanusa1fan Member Posts: 68
    I'm glad to see someone else that is satisfied with their Escape's fuel economy.

In my latest update, our 2.0l SEL 4WD, since around Christmas Eve, has returned an average closer to 25.5 mpg overall. This also needs to take into account colder temperatures during this period. We got snow XMas Eve and again 2x since, just in large enough amounts and with enough cold air to keep most of it around for two weeks, and even now there are small patches that haven't melted completely away yet, but mostly where it was piled from shoveling or plowing. The worst average tank for this period was just over 23 mpg.

Overall, taking into consideration the 'ideal' nature of the EPA testing process, this is right in line or even a bit better than the car is 'supposed' to return- I have a mixed drive of rural highway, town, city, and interstate, with speeds anywhere from 25 to 70 mph, and these tanks were with me driving five over wherever the speed limits were under 70, or 70 in 70 mph zones.

The most recent tank, with temperatures in the mid-upper-50's, is already over 25.5 mpg, and looking to hit 26 (warmer weather, slightly higher % hwy affecting the numbers). I've had over 29 on occasion, without ever having a single tank of *all* highway driving.

I'd love to get the opportunity for the latter, but time and opportunity have to get together first.
    edited January 2013
    Forgot to mention- while I drove at reasonable speeds, I still very rarely do jackrabbit starts, and always attempt to ease up to lights and away from them (reasonably, NOT supergranpa-style). I don't mind if the guy in the next lane over gets ahead of me between lights, especially if it means that I get to keep moving, while he's coming to a stop, taking off, accelerating, then braking hard[er]. One of us is getting significantly lower fuel economy for no more return in terms of time, distance, or frustration factor. :D
  • sparky1011sparky1011 Member Posts: 1
    for better gas mileage you should only be driving 50 to 55 even on freeways-- that is why 'they' (govt) changed ALL freeway speed limit(s) to 55 miles per hour back in the 70's & we were NOT paying any where NEAR $3.00 a gallon!!
    Most people don't seem to understand -- Supply & Demand!!! -there goes your money!!
  • dizneydizney Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2013
    55 MPH LOL LOL
    NOT ME ! NO ONE will tell me that I can't drive 70 MPH !!! LOL
    AT 70 I get to cry and complain about my mileage !! Waaaaaaa.....

At 55 MPH I got 38.1 MPG 1.6L FWD Now that makes sense :):):):) LOL
    The choice is YOURS!!!
  • lip1122lip1122 Member Posts: 5
    I have the 2013 Escape Titanium 2.0. The only reason I got rid of my GMC Envoy was I believed i would be getting 22/30 mpg in the Escape. I have gotten between 13/17 in the 4 months I have owned my Escape. The dealer tells me there is no problem! Has anyone had any success in dealing with Ford to get this problem resolved? I feel like I was lied to and am extremely disappointed with Ford. I need advice on how to go about dealing with Ford with this issue.

Thanks
    lip1122 Sorry to hear about your troubles with fuel economy. By the look of your expected numbers, you appear to have the 2.0 FWD, is that correct?
    If so, I have the same setup. I have recorded the first 12 tanks of gas and have been between 20.6 and 27.6 MPG with my average at 24.2. All winter driving with snow tires.
    If you are convinced that it is your vehicle (and not your right foot, traffic patterns, etc) then you should try to take some proof to the dealership. I have used the OBDII port with a wireless "dongle" and an iPad app called DashCommand to monitor my engine functions and fuel-economy while driving. See post 435 and subsequent posts on that topic, under the 2013 Escape forum.link title

Maybe you could monitor your mileage on a short trip with a mechanic and discuss your results?
    Let the mechanic drive, to see what mileage he/she can get.
    The DashCommand app shows instantaneous mileage, one minute averages for 5 minutes, 5-minute averages for 30 minutes and 30-minute averages for 3-hours. (and the overall average, which you will find, agrees with the overall average you see on your Escape dash)
    Good luck!
  • tl9tl9 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2.0L 4WD SEL I live in Mississauga and my driving is a mix of hwy and city. I thought my gas mileage was horrific at 420 km a tankful, but yours is even worse. I am way past the so called "break in" period. I have 13500 km. Don't let them fool you into the old break in period speech. I even had my torque converter replaced because of stalling issues and that didn't even help the fuel consumption.
  • h3ll3rh3ll3r Member Posts: 16
    Yeah, I think these cars are really geared towards relaxed highway and light traffic. Stop and go kills fuel economy on this car. I suspect the Turbo engages a lot on acceleration despite our best efforts at taking off slowly.

Last few tanks were slightly better for me. It wasn't that cold yet (nothing like the last week) and I did 376km over 46.9L (12.4L / 100km avg), 95% city.

Now that it's really cold outside, I'm back into the mid-13s.

I drove to Quebec City back and forth over X-Mas, and managed roughly 600-610km with these tanks (averaging 8.4 L/100km), going at 112-114km/h. Quite the difference...

Agree with you on the "break-in" period, there has been little difference for me over time... I'm at 8500km now.
    I have done a bunch of monitoring of the turbo boost pressure while driving. My normal acceleration, pulling away from a light (in a 2.0 FWD) takes my RPM up to 2500. There is virtually no boost when I do this. (smooth throttle application and likely no more than 10%)
    On the other hand, a couple of days ago I had the cruise control on, and my speed was approx 70Kph (44mph) and the tranny was in 6th gear. It produced 4 lbs of boost at just 1200 RPM. This is because the cruise control was opening the throttle further and further to maintain speed as I went up a gentle hill. (transmission then downshifted)

I have really found the turbo to be a function of throttle position more than RPM. It is amazing how much pull these engines have at a very low RPM, and how much boost they can produce at a low RPM.
  • gmen97gmen97 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my wife the same engine and transmission combo; she complained and after a little research I found out her registered mpg was not 18.5-19.5 but actually 23mpg. My wife stated she could not fill the fuel tank when on empty with 15 gallons, the vehicle would only take 10.8 when the fuel hand was behind the red marker. when I divided 11 gallons into the 255 miles she was using it comes out to 23mpg. Ford for what ever reason has made its fuel sensing gauge not read a total of 4 gallons of gas reserve in the tank. I have argued with the Dealer who says they can't adjust the unit. And Ford hasn't given an answer yet if they will fix it. Most of her driving right now is 95 percent city.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2013
    Folks may want to manually check their mpg for a while to see how their numbers compare to the mpg readout gauge.

"Edmunds Testing Finds Overestimated MPG Is Common."

Your Fuel Economy Gauge Is Fibbing

That said, I've real a lot of posts around the forums where people were getting very close to what the instrument panel was telling them.
    Gas left in the tank (reserve) doesn't impact the mpg calculation. mpg is all about the number of miles driven and the gas that was used to drive those miles. What's left in the tank isn't part of that calculation.

What's impacted is the range, i.e. it'll tell you 0 miles left but there are a few gallons left in the tank. It's the same for me, my biggest fuel-up was exactly 13.0 gallons, and just before I did, the trip computer was telling me a range of 0... and I could probably have added a bit more gas in the tank but it was clicking and I didn't want to risk overflowing...

I calculate every tank manually and compare with the mpg readout: it's always been within 1 mpg or so... most of the times within 0.5 mpg. The difference is usually not in my favor, i.e. my manual calculation comes out a bit worse than the mpg readout, which is a little bit optimistic.
    In my own testing I have found the Escape Fuel Economy Guage to read anywhere from 6% optimistic to 3% pessimistic. About half of the time the hand calculated numbers and the displayed numbers are virtually identical.
    Average out those numbers and my display is 1.5% optimistic.
    I am quite impressed by that, as my previous vehicle from another manufacturer was about 15% optimistic on average.
    How many gallons do you consider a tankful? I am used to filling all of my vehicles up at around 1/4 tank or just under indicated on the guage, which is actually between 9.5 and 10.5 gallons to fill, on average (annoying, as others have pointed out, for a vehicle with a 15+ gallon sized tank). Based on that, and on the fact that 420 km is about 261 miles, it doesn't sound like your mileage is very horrific at all. It's anywhere from 24.8 to over 27 mpg, for a vehicle that is EPA rated at 24 mpg combined (mixed, as you say your driving is).

If you're running it to the red on the fuel guage, you could be using up to about 13 gallons for the tankful, though many times my low fuel warning comes on at around 11.8 gallons or so.. Which is why I ask how many gallons you are calling a tankful. That same 261 miles becomes something between 20.1 mpg and 22.1 mpg if you consider your tankful to be running it to indicated 'dry' on the guage.

If you're like most of us, your tankful is probably the 1/4 tank mark or around. If so, you are exceeding the EPA estimates, and are actually in line with my own observations for my 2.0l AWD SEL.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    You can't use your gas gauge or the size of your tank to calculate fuel mileage...

Fill your tank
    Reset trip odometer
    At next fill up, note mileage on trip odometer and divide that number by the gallons needed to fill up.
    That number is your miles per gallon..

Nothing else matters.. doesn't matter how big your tank is, how much you have left, how accurate the gas gauge is, etc, etc, etc....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

600km! That's amazing. I had to convert to US units, then mpg to do the comparison (for most of us US types). 8.4L / 100km = 2.2gal/62.1mi. Total trip distance of 610km comes to 379mi.

Doing the math, 62.1mi / 2.2gal = 28.2 mpg <-- the important part to compare, for us. Not unreasonable, but many here might claim otherwise.

It's the 379 miles for that tank that sounds most interesting though, because that means you used 379 mi / 28.2 mpg = 13.4 gallons of gas for that tank, which tells me you probably ran it down at least far enough for the low fuel warning chime / indicator, and probably to the red fuel guage mark. Yet, you still had around 2 gallons left in the tank.

Sure wish Ford would recalibrate the fuel guage on these. I can adjust (filling up with a lesser amount indicated on the guage), but it drives my paranoid wife nuts to see me waiting until it gets down close to 'empty'. :P
    LOL yep! I was happy with the highway range, for sure...
    BTW no need for manual calculations, you can simply type this in google:
    "8.4 L/100km to mpg"

So the trip was roughly 800km one-way... In fact I did 8.2 (28.7 mpg) on the way there, and 8.6 on the way back (27.3mpg). Might be some slight differences in speed, elevation, temperature to explain the difference...

It was done with cruise control set most of the time, at 112 km/h (69.5 mph) but I did do a little higher at times to pass and stuff.

So yeah, around 28mpg, it's not the best out here but it's not bad either, I was not trying to get the best number ever. And it's during winter in Canada, pretty cold weather (was around -15C out there). Definitely satisfied with that however, now if only the city numbers would be that close to the rated numbers!

Yep I often fill up when the fuel gauge is deeply in the red!! But I don't feel too bad about it, knowing that there's still a lot of gas left due to the huge reserve...

Also, what I typically do to estimate my "true" range, is take whatever value I drove (ex. 365km) and add to that the estimated range left that the computer provides (ex. 20 km to empty) so then I'd tell myself that my range was 385km with that tank. I know it'd probably eeke out an an extra 40-50km if I really wanted to push it and run dry but that wouldn't be too wise, especially in the eyes of the missus... lol...

In what I said above (600 km for the roadtrip), it was truly driven kms on the odometer, but with almost nothing left in the tank at the end (playing it a bit risky).
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    My in-laws have an Escape 1.6L SEL AWD they had as a factory order and took delivery Oct 1, 2012. It has gotten no better than 19.5mpg average and sometimes less. It has been in the shop for over 3 week total for other various issues. While the car is pretty to look at and has lots of features, it is obvious total quality control during manufacturing is not consistent. Ford better fix it fast because the press around these EcoBoost engines is souring really, really fast.

CR just bashed the Fusion and this Escape Fuel Economy thread is starting to look like the Elantra Fuel Economy thread.
  • lax4545lax4545 Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody seen a drop in their mpg's after the most recent recall? Before the most recent recall on the 2013 Ford Escapes, I was seeing 26-28 mpg's. But afterwards I have been through 9 fuel ups and have been averaging 23-24 mpg's. I checked tire pressure, I use all synthetic oils and fluids, I use the same gas station (Shell), I put gas line anti freeze in to help aide in the colder temps in New England, I put fuel injector cleaner in one tank and am lost to how I could lose 3 mpg's. Ford is saying it is because of the cold temps but it does not make any sense cause it has been cold since November and I was still seeing 26-28 mpg's. I do believe the Ford computer fix also included running the engine richer to help aide in keeping the engine cool. Any thoughts would be well appreciated.
  • gmen97gmen97 Member Posts: 2
    h3113r if you read my post I was referring to gas used only not the reserve in the tank. I'm complaining that the 4 gallon reserve does not allow a person to gauge what additional miles they can travel. My MPG calculations were in fact based solely on gasoline used and miles traveled. My wife used 11 gallons and traveled 255 miles = 23 MPG. These numbers have nothing to do with the 4 gallon reserve in the tank.
  • judybilljudybill Member Posts: 1
    Prior to purchase of the Escape 2013 Titanium 2.0 engine, the spec sheet on the glass advertised the Escape as getting 21 mpg city and 28 mpg highway. Mileage started at 11.8 mpg. I discussed with the dealer's salesman. He advised me to wait until I got 1000 miles as it will improve. In reading the owners manual, I found this in writing. At 1100 miles, I drove to Los Angeles, a 3000 mile one way trip. I ws quite disappointed as the highest mileage I got was 23.7. On my return trip I put on an additional 3600 miles, making a total of about 7700 miles on the Escape and the mpg was still only 23.7 to 23.8 mpg. I do feel that this vehicle has ben miss represented to me. I still have the window display with the mpg sheet. If the mpg of this Escape is incorrect, I would like to have Ford correct it as the dealer has told me everything is working as it should. In the meantime, I have checked this mpg many times by topping off the tank and checking at the next tank full of fuel. In with the advertisement that Ford is putting out now, the Titanium Escape should be getting 24 mpg city and 33 mpg highway. I feel that this is fraud! Maybe the owners of this car should get a class action suite against the Ford Motor Company for correction.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,305
    My wife has the 2.0 with AWD and is averaging around 22 mpg.
    She got it mid way through October, so I don't have any mileage measurements to fall back on.
    I do have a couple of Explorers that I split my driving between.
    Since November, they have each taken a 10% mileage hit.
    I'm in CT.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • escapeismescapeism Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2013
    They do that all the time. It's not Fords fault. This false advertising you are referring to has been around for years. They put the highest trim level on TV and tell you it gets great gas mieage but that mileage is only attained with a less powerful, lower trim level model. Those numbers are with the 1.6 engine, which isn't offered with the Titanium trim level.
    Agreed, those are 1.6 FWD numbers.
    I really don't understand why AWD's are being pushed so much anyway. Here in Canada, any Titanium is 2.0 and AWD. Can't get one that is FWD. I wanted the 2.0 and most of the goodies but NOT the AWD, so I had to special order an SEL 2.0 FWD.
    I run snow tires in the winter and have never needed AWD. It uses 7% (or more) additional fuel, it makes the vehicle weigh 150 lbs more and it is not needed by likely 90-99% of buyers. Just my $0.02
    What were your speeds during the Los Angeles trip? 70-80, most likely, when not creeping around in gridlocked or slow-n-go traffic, right? That seems to be the description most often used for people in the CA urban drive dominated car rags. If so, 23-24 is pretty good. 24 is the combined rating for the AWD 2.0l (don't know if yours is 2 or AWD), and I see 23-24 running at 70ish with less stop-n-go here in the east, with colder weather (not Canadian cold, h3ll3r :D) with my AWD.

So far, personal experience combined with everything I've read everywhere says these Ecoboosts get better than rated highway numbers by a bit, but equally offset by worse than rated city numbers, all in the real world. The overall effect is that, in a true 50-50 mix, the numbers often end up in the range of the EPA rating, too.

In any case, so long as Ford adhered to the EPAs specified testing regimen, and obtained the numbers on the sticker from that, it's not false advertising, even if your real world results vary. I too get annoyed by the ads showing a top-trim vehicle while also listing the more 'eco' model's fuel economy ratings. All of the manufacturers do this, because they know:
    1) We all want the nicest car we can buy (and the top trims are usually sexiest looking)
    2) We are all rank fuel economy higher on our list than in the past
    So, they show us the best of each in the ad, and leave it to us to find out that you can usually have one or the other, but not both.

If, on the other hand, Ford has fudged their actual test numbers (like Hyundai / Kia), I look forward to the yearly checks too! (even if my own experience says the Monroney is showing reasonable numbers, though not exactly *my* numbers).
  • izedamanizedaman Member Posts: 16
    I was brave this weekend and drove around till it got to 4 miles to empty. I was able to fill it up at exactly 13 gallons... so when it says 0 your running on your 2 gallon reserve.... I will stop filling up when the light comes on now, as the range bites already with low mpgs
  • jenrgjenrg Member Posts: 1
    Hi explorerx4,
    I am having the same issue with my 2013 leased Escape. I only drive highway miles to and from work 20 miles a day and only get 22 mpg after a month, it was 19 mpg the first couple of weeks, which makes me really angry that Ford has lied about the mpg. Everyone I know that has one is only getting 20-22 mpg. If someone decides to go after Ford, I'm in, because I leased this car for the great mileage it supposedly had and now I feel had.
  • dizneydizney Member Posts: 19
    FORD did not lie ??????
    Just yesterday I took another trip 80% highway RT 123 miles and got 35.9 MPG driving at 58 MPH !
    Plain and simple just like the TV ad. Drive faster use, more fuel! The choice is yours! 1.6L FWD
    Just put in the most fuel ever. 53.2 liters (14.07 gallons.) I drove with the low fuel light on for a long time. The distance to empty was reading 4km (2.5 miles) I did however know how much more fuel was in the tank.
    On level ground, with engine shut off, hold down the OK button on the left side of steering wheel and press the start button. Continue to hold OK button for a few seconds and you will be in diagnostics mode. Then use the down arrow to scroll through the diagnostics. This will show fuel level in % (among lots of other variables) Mine showed 6% fuel which is about 1 gallon) This agreed with what I filled at the pump.
    When you are done scrolling through your diagnostics, just hit the start button again.
    These numbers are what the "computer" and sensors are actually seeing. The gas guage and the Distance To Empty display have the buffers added in.
    Hope this helps.
    Cool trick!! I assume the "start" button you refer to is for cars with the push-button start option? Any idea how to get in Diagnostics mode with regular key ignition models?
    I would assume you would just turn the key to the "Run" position. That should be basically the same as pressing the start button. (when the start button is pressed (without pressing the brake at the same time) it brings on all of the dash lights, climate control, stereo etc, just like turning your key to the Run position)
    Let me know if it works.
    Great information! Thank you. I'll have to try it when I fill up next time.
  • dan5678dan5678 Member Posts: 28
    Only have about 250mi on my '13 2.0-awd-SE. Have yet to do a manual calculation of mpg at a fillup yet, and figure I won't be hitting the mpg sweet spot until thousands of miles from now.

Just did a mostly interstate trip, top speed around 68mph (still taking it easy on the new car), with about 15mph headwind. The trip display showed 26mi, 30min (so... 52 Mph average?) and 25.2mpg .

The trip home, over a hillier,windier 2-lane state road, came up 43.6mph average speed and 28.2mpg. If these numbers are within 6% I'm fairly happy.

The dash display is not as happy in city driving(high teens), sure would have been nice if Ford had managed to lighten the vehicle up some more, oh well, it probably would feel flimsier if they had, so I'll take that tradeoff.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,305
    I think you missed the point I was trying to make. All my vehicles are down about 10%. Since the Escape is getting 22, I expect it to go up to 24 when the weather warms up/gas formulation changes.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    Why are people so obsessed with distance to empty and running the tank as close to empty as they can? It's a good thing that there's fuel in the tank when the needle reads empty, you won't run out of gas and the fuel pump stays submerged.
    Because some people like to know what they have to work with incase some emergency situation arises where someone does not have the ability to get gas, sometimes things happen beyond ones control, it might be an important thing to know???
  • izedamanizedaman Member Posts: 16
    when you plan a trip, its nice to know when you need to fill up. Unfortunately with this suv you dont get very far on a 13/ cough cough 15 gallon tank
  • wistrodwistrod Member Posts: 14
    It's not an obsession, simply a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]! I traded in a vehicle with a 19 gallon tank that got 16 mpg. On average, I drive 350 miles a week -- so, in the past I had to stop twice a week to fill up. When I got the 2013 Escape, with the "promise" of 26 mpg combined (note, 80% of my driving is highway), I looked forward to a range of about 400 miles -- meaning I would only have to fill up once a week. In actuality, I get 21.5 mpg (combined) and seemingly have only a 13 gallon tank (according to the "miles to empty" readout), so my new range is about 240 miles (if I fill-up when the warning light goes on). I am stopping to fill-up more often now than I was before! I was really looking forward to having a vehicle that I could run for 400 miles without stopping for gas -- just a big disappointment that I'm still stopping multiple times per week. Really can't understand, especially on the 2.0, 4WD, why they didn't figure out a way to stick a 19 or 20 gallon tank on this thing. Heck, I'd even give up another mile or two in mpg, for a 400 mile range! The other point being, I don't appreciate having a readout telling me I have 40 miles to empty, to find that the tank will only take 11 gallons when I stop and fill-up, although I'm getting 21.5 mpg! If my math is correct, the readout ought to tell me that I have about 90 miles to empty! Is an accurate readout really too much to ask for!
    One of the things I have discovered is that the DTE indication is based on some period of average fuel economy from the past, which may be why the readings seem inaccurate. (in addition to having a safety margin built in)

Here's an example.
    Lets say you drive the first 3/4 or 7/8 of your tank in heavy traffic, or poor winter conditions and are averaging 15MPG. Then you are freed up to some nice 60 mph highway cruising at 30mpg. Your DTE indication will still be using a big rolling average of fuel economy to let you know when you might run out. Since it cannot predict what kind of fuel economy you will see in the future, it will use the economy that you got in the past.
    So in this case, it may indicate 30 Miles to Empty, when it is really 60 miles at your new fuel consumption rate, plus a little reserve. (maybe another 20 miles, for a total of 80 actual miles to empty)

We certainly can't fault the Ford engineers for helping us to "never run out of fuel". They have accomplished that !
    I think we would all be quite upset if we were running out of fuel, because there was no safety margin designed in.
    Certainly the small fuel tank is the "bigger" issue here.