Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ford Escape Gas Mileage

Comments

• cbc410cbc410 Member Posts: 20
    edited February 2013
    I have around 3300 miles on my Titanium FWD. Since I got it, it only gets around 14 - 16 mpg in all city driving. Freeway is 26-32 depending if the road is flat or not. I drive very conservatively and always get the highest marks on their little Eco Driver read out. I have taken the car to the dealer to be checked out and they say I am getting that mpg because of the winter fuel (which is less efficient), because I live in the Bay Area hills, and because of city traffic conditions with lots of stop signs and lights. Even with all that, the mpg shouldn't be off by more than 30%. My 2001 Volvo wagon gets the same mpg and it isn't suppose to be as fuel efficient plus it is an old car. Also, city driving is suppose to full of lights. And even on flat roads, the mpg is bad unless I can coast through all green lights. It is so frustrating to me that Ford feels no shame that they misrepresented the mpg on this car. I never would have purchased the car. I told them my concerns on day 3 of owning the car and they just told me to wait until the break in period is over. Now I feel like I have spent a ton of money on something that will have a horrible resale value and has already lost $10,000 in value just from no longer being brand new.
  • chrishappelchrishappel Member Posts: 1
    I just leased a 2013 Escape a couple days ago and immediately drove it for 130 miles. The trip was about 115 miles highway/15 city and I averaged around 22 MPG. I then reset the MPG calculator for just highway cruising at about 70 MPH and only got about 24 MPG on a relatively flat freeway. Even when I dropped the speed to approximately 63 MPH, the car was registering only 26 MPG. This is not consistent with the 23/33 advertised mileage and curious if others have experienced the same results. Will the MPGs increase when the engine is 'worn in' more?
  • dizneydizney Member Posts: 19
    1.6L FWD
    On highway as you described with constant speed at max 60 I ALWAYS get 35 to 38 MPG :):)
    " Why should I have to drive 50-60mph"

Answer : Look at your RPM's above 60 a lot more on the 16L !
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    1) I got rid of it a couple of months ago, took a 2,500 hit, but worth it.
    2) If you drive 60mph on the highways in the DC area (when it's not totally clogged) you're taking your life in your own hands.
    3) It's being marketed as a "have your cake & eat it too" in regards to MPGs. So if you need to change your driving habits to get the high MPGs compared to your normal driving habits (got better MPGs in my 2010 Escape) then it's completely misleading advertising by Ford.

I'm not a Ford basher, I've had numerous Ford's in my lifetime, but this 2013 Escape IS NOT what it's being made out to be. I would've been better off with a V6 Edge.
  • johnnyumajohnnyuma Member Posts: 54
    We're on our first road trip with our 2013 Ford Escape 2.0L Titanium AWD. We left cold and snowy MI with a little over 3600 miles on the vehicle. Drove about 925 miles and arrived in Panama City Beach, FL. We averaged 27 MPG on the way down (that's city/hwy combined). We've driven the FL panhandle from Pensacola to Tallahassee and averaged 29 MPG (again city/hwy combined). We're very happy with the overall performance of our Escape.
  • lip1122lip1122 Member Posts: 5
    I agree with you. We should all start a class action suit against Ford for false advertising in regard to the 2013 Ford Escape. I have the Titanium and it has been in the shop for 2 weeks as they try and figure out the problem with the gas mileage. They told me it is getting 24 mpg with them. I was getting 13-17 mpg. I just drove it out of the shop and unlike the dealer who stated they were getting 24 mpg on the dash I got 15 mpg! We all need to come together to get a solution from Ford that is acceptable.
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    edited February 2013
    Good luck with that. Remember though, Individual Mileage May Vary.

As a foot note:
    Trip from Phoenix to Minneapolis, speeds at 70-75, overall average 25.6
    Best mpg's on relatively flat terrain, 5 mph tail wind, 75 mph 30.6
    Current MPG's, Hwy/City combined, temps in single digits 24.4
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Read a review of the RDX. On a road trip, the reviewer averaged a fill up every 242 miles.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    My wife put in about 10 gallons of SUG a couple of tanks ago and the mileage is up over 10%.
    She put super unleaded in because all the regular was sold out due to a pending snow storm.
  • rbest27rbest27 Member Posts: 1
    With regular unleaded, in the city I average about 20 mpg. I expected better than that with 1.6L engine. It can be frustrating. I haven't been on too many road trips with car yet, but only noticed I was in the 26 mpg range for freeway driving.
  • dlk413dlk413 Member Posts: 2
    We bought this car new three weeks ago and have since taken it on two pretty big road trips: Philadelphia to DC and Philadelphia to upstate NY. On both of those trips we traveled mostly on highway and averaged a whopping 15 mpg. At one point (on the highway) we managed to get it down to the low 14's. Brilliant. Then there was the added bonus of having to stop every 2 hours to fill it up with gas. Anyway, we have just taken our lovely little Eco friendly gas guzzler back to the dealership to try and get it sorted. Glad to know we are not alone.
  • pdawg1pdawg1 Member Posts: 22
    Our Escape Titanium after 1400 miles is getting less than 24 mpg highway. Driving it very carefully the best I could get was 22.3 a far cry from the 28 listed. I have notified my dealership of the results and they want to do an mpg test themselves. I think we are not alone with what is stated and what is actually happening on these vehicles. I also think Ford needs to either make the stated mpg's happen or give us options as in a fuel reimbursement or full trade in on a different vehicle!
    At 60mph. I always get 35 to 38 mpg with 1.6L FWD Moral of story drive fast higher RPM more gas !
  • izedamanizedaman Member Posts: 16
    and if you only go down hill you can get upto 40mpg while in neutral !
    With my 17mpg city you would think i was getting to 100 mph between lights....
    edited February 2013
    No, but the key work there is between lights. If it's a typical city there's a light every two/three blocks or less. If you accelerating and braking hard that affects mpg's. Hurry up and stop! Slow steady acceleration anticipating the next stop, coasting and using the deceleration fuel cut off saves fuel. The car behind you can only go as fast as you and who cares if it pisses him off. The funny thing about the reports on bad mpg's, no one mentions how fast they're traveling.
  • dlk413dlk413 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2012
    I just tested it on the highway driving a steady 45MPH: 17.2 MPG. Ford dealership says there's not much they can do about it because on the sticker, below where it says 24 city/28 Hwy, it also says (in much smaller print) "small suvs may average between 16-21 MPG". Basically 24/28 is a gimmick. Look elsewhere if you want a car that actually gets good MPG.
  • mikeo56mikeo56 Member Posts: 16
    The FWD models get really good gas mileage, the AWD not so good
    I am getting about 23 in town "not city" and about 28 HWY going 65-70 more if at 60. That is why we bought a FWD even though we live where it snows in the winter. GAS MILEAGE W/ FWD
    In the same time period, my wife's Escape went from 20.6 over a couple of tanks to 23.2 and my old Explorer went from 13.6 to 15.7.
    Not sure if the gas changed or the weather or something else.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I just tested it on the highway driving a steady 45MPH: 17.2 MPG. Ford dealership says there's not much they can do about it because on the sticker, below where it says 24 city/28 Hwy, it also says (in much smaller print) "small suvs may average between 16-21 MPG". Basically 24/28 is a gimmick. Look elsewhere if you want a car that actually gets good MPG. "

Wow, that is low. What does it do at 60 MPH? Is that with a 2.0, or 1.6?
  • automelon48automelon48 Member Posts: 105
    edited February 2013
    2.0 FWD. I have now recorded 16 tanks of fuel. (lifetime) Average = 24.33 MPG measured at the pump, on the Escape display and through the OBDII diagnostic port. (they all agree)

That's City/Hwy, idling, etc. Snow tires and Canadian winter driving.

My configuration is rated 22/30 with a combined rating of 25.
    I am not trying to rub salt in your wound, just stating my experience.

I expect mileage to improve when the weather warms and when we switch back to "summer gas". (and when I put my all seasons on for the first time!)

PS, If you have a 2.0AWD then it is rated 21/28 24-combined.
    The real funny thing is how people think they know how everyone who's getting bad mileage are driving, it's because they race between lights or they drive to fast on the highway, but the truth is most people who are upset with their mileage KNOW HOW TO DRIVE for maximizing mileage! The problem is THE WEIGHT of the vehicle. Turbos are great for maximizing mpgs in LIGHTWEIGHT vehicles, not SUVs. It's really that simple, anyone who is getting great mileage in this vehicle is the Exception not The Rule, so please spare the driving lessons, this vehicle is not getting close to EPA numbers in the real world, it's just not.
    Read the posts, never a mention of driving to maximize mileage, how they drive, conditions, highway or city, hilly or flat, cruise control or not. It's just, my mileage is horrible, the dealership won't do anything so they're crap, class action suit, false claims by Ford... In my opinion, the only other thing it can be is driving style. If it's the weight, why do I and others get the posted mpg numbers and others don't. I don't baby mine, but I drive sensibly and anticipate traffic. All the engines are identical and the build and assembly process is the same for every vehicle. Forums are full of complainers who are looking for people who feel the same way they do and that justifies their anger. I drive everyday and I'm sure you do too. Look around, how many drivers on the road are driving for mileage?
  • cbc410cbc410 Member Posts: 20
    edited February 2013
    I am in to do a class action or social media campaign. How do we band together? The problem with class action suits is that all they really benefit are the lawyers that administer them. The claimants get a small return and the lawyers get the real money. But I think that we should band together and pressure Ford. I know they have just blown me off and have taken no responsibility for the fact that the car gets nowhere near the mileage claim unless it is driven in absolutely perfect conditions - flat roads with long stretches of no stops.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's one to watch.

And you're right - pay close attention to what the class members get compared to the lawyers.

Hyundai Agrees To Settle Fuel-Efficiency Lawsuits
  • h3ll3rh3ll3r Member Posts: 16
    hmm, have you read my posts? Very detailed...

I'm sure there are some idiots that gun it all the time and complain...

But the way I drive in the city, I don't think can be beat. Ultra-slow acceleration, maximize coasting between red lights (foot off pedal as MUCH as possible without driving everyone around me absolutely crazy).

Stop and go traffic just kills this thing. Doesn't matter how hard you try. Sure if you can coast on green lights with no traffic you'll get OK mpg.

If I'm forced to drive that way (super-maximize mileage) then I don't even need the freaking turbo! I could drive the way I drive with a 120hp engine... There should be an ECO button which reduces the turbo involvement or something. People reviewing the paltry SkyActive engine of the Mazda CX5 were saying the engine didn't have enough guts, but I'm sure it'd be PLENTY for the driving style imposed on Escape owners.

I cannot get anything over 375 km (235 miles) out of a city tank in normal Toronto, Ontario conditions. Can't imagine what it'd be like if I was driving "normally", not like a Prius owner trying to get to 600 miles on a tank.....

Also it annoys me that you'd have to drive at 55-60 mph to get decent hwy mileage. That's just not reality, not one bit. Optimizing fuel ratings for that speed (so that the marketing department can have a field day with stupid claims) is just playing the system and pissing people off. If someone drives 55mph on a 60mph highway, then he's selfish, a danger to others, and probably causes all kinds of episodes of road rage around. In 2013, a car should provide decent mileage at an average speed of 70mph.

I love the car otherwise, but let me say that once this lease is over, I will not be looking at any EcoBoost model from Ford.
  • h3ll3rh3ll3r Member Posts: 16
    I can't report on time driven and average speed, because the trip computer, for some reason, keeps counting time even when the car is in accessory mode (engine not running). So I regularly stay in the car 10-25 minutes after I arrived at my destination to keep listening to my audiobook, and that messes up the time spent, so I don't have an accurate average speed.
    Again, people who are getting the mileage like you're getting are the EXCEPTION not the rule! I can't explain why you're getting better mileage than most on here just like YOU CAN'T EXPLAIN why people aren't getting just as good. But what I can tell you, which completely gets drowned out in the "it must be this or it has to be that" is that I got MUCH BETTER gas mileage in my 2010 Escape than I did in this 2013 Escape, end of story. I had both, drove both the same way, and the new & improved Escape didn't come close. And I'm not sure where this "all these other drivers are getting good mileage" is coming from because I still read this thread to see what "all these other drivers" are getting and I'm sure as Hades not seeing what you're seeing??? I see A LOT of people posting truly horrible numbers and I'm willing to bet they're not all driving the same route, the same time, the same weather, the same traffic conditions as you are. Like I've said in the past, I've owned MULTIPLE Ford's and this one has by far been the worst experience, so I'm not a Ford basher or whining complaining troll on here.
    Our Escape is the 2.0L 4WD, is yours 4WD?
    I just got back from working in Arizona and was provided with a 2010 Ford Flex, we called it the "Toaster". This was in Prescott, very high altitude over 5000 ft and very hilly. The Flex with a 3.5 V6 EcoBoost got better than 21 in town and close to 25 on the highway, much better than our new Escape! So I think there is an issue with these vehicles............
    We completed our first road trip. Over a two week period drove 2600 miles from MI to FL panhandle and return. 27 MPG combined city/highway.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    For those who are getting the supposed bad MPG:

How many miles on your vehicle? If it's less than 5000, come back when you have completed the break-in period.

And how are you calculating MPG? Looking at your trip computer? BS. Fill your tank and reset your trip odometer. Drive until you need gas. Fill your tank again. Divide miles traveled by the fuel used, and THAT is your MPG.

For anyone with bad highway MPG... SUVs are more sensitive to faster highway speeds than regular cars, because of aerodynamics. You probably don't have to slow down a lot... just a little will make a difference with these beasts.

My commute is 20 miles one-way... 17 of it is on the interstate. Those 3 miles off the interstate are enough to put me closer to the combined number on my car. Don't expect to hit the highway number unless it's almost ALL highway.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
    Another lecture on how we don't know how to drive, add, subtract & divide.

1) Break in periods today are complete BS. That may have been the case 20/30/40 years ago but todays cars are so computerized they can make adjustments on the fly. Every new car I've had in the past 10yrs came within 1-2mpg of their numbers right off the bat. The only thing the so called "break in period" does is break in your tires, or wear them out, which leads to better gas mileage. Ever see a NASCAR tire, smooth as a baby's [non-permissible content removed].

2) Everyone knows how to correctly calculate mpgs on this thread, if you read through it you will see a lot of people who do it both ways, and the computer mpgs are always HIGHER than the hand calculated numbers!

3) As far as Highway MPGs go, I could drive 70-75mph with a full load in my 2010 Escape (which is as aerodynamic as a box on wheels) and get 27mpg on a 400mi trip. That's 1mpg lower than the EPA est. of 28hwy!

The 2013 Escape suckered me, plain an simple, it drove fantastic, but it wasn't anywhere near the fuel miser it claimed to be and with the MFT acting possessed 1/2 the time & 3 recalls for fire related issues with the engine I had enough & gave up. If it's working out just fine for you, congrats, you're a lucky one, but just because you're one of the lucky ones doesn't mean the rest of us with problems/issues with it are whinny, complaining little trolls.
    Well stated. I've had my Titanium AWD 5 months and have 6300 miles on it (overall 25 MPG).
    "I just got back from working in Arizona and was provided with a 2010 Ford Flex, we called it the "Toaster". This was in Prescott, very high altitude over 5000 ft and very hilly. The Flex with a 3.5 V6 EcoBoost got better than 21 in town and close to 25 on the highway, much better than our new Escape! So I think there is an issue with these vehicles............ "

I've noticed with several vehicles that they do better at high altitudes.
    "... I know they have just blown me off and have taken no responsibility for the fact that the car gets nowhere near the mileage claim unless it is driven in absolutely perfect conditions - flat roads with long stretches of no stops. "

The only thing Ford would have to do is prove they administered the EPA test accurately according to EPA standards. If they tested correctly and posted those results as required by law, they did what they are supposed to do. End of case.

Hyundai got caught doing bad testing.
    edited February 2013
    Good point. The EPA is investigating Ford's claims for their hybrid mpg, just as they did with Hyundai.

Lawsuits claim fuel efficiency overstated in Ford C-Max, Fusion hybrids (Detroit Free Press)

There's talk of reviewing the whole certification process.
  • craign1craign1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the SE AWD 2.0 which is a small rocket with the ability to two 3,500 lbs. I haven't done the research but this has got to be one of the more heavy and solid small SUVs out there. Others I've been in feel light and tinny. I average 21 MPG when I'm mostly around town, 24 or so with about 50/50 town/highway. Yesterday a 2 hour trip averaging 55 mph with premium gas got me up to 29 mpg. Mind you I'm starting slow off the line and gliding to a finish when possible, using the sport shift to downshift, so the economy computer loves me. I really don't think Ford mis-advertised the MPG but I think all manufacturers should advertise only the average MPG and eliminate a lot of people's misconception. I will say that my mileage has improved since I turned 2,000 miles so I think the "break-in" period is a real thing.
    Is premium recommended for your Escape? If not, you're just wasting your money. (link)

Is your winter winding down? Warmer weather can help your mpg too.
  • sbro1sbro1 Member Posts: 1
    First time poster here. Bought my 2013 Titanium Escape 2.0 4WD in late October and have 3,300 miles on it so far. I drive about 60/40 on the highway and haven't seen MPG anywhere close to what was on the sticker. I only use premium fuel and am a very conservative driver. My best tank average is 20.1 MPG. I probably would have made a different decision had a known I would be getting such poor gas mileage. Plus, how big is the tank anyway? I don't think I've ever put more than 11.5 gallons in when I am on E. Ford screwed up big time on both these items and hope they are investigated for deception. With that said, I do love the new Escape.
  • wistrodwistrod Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2013
    Agree with your question about the tank, and asked it myself months ago. I have the SEL 2.0 4WD. The most fuel it has ever taken was 11.3 gallons. Tripometer said I had 32 miles to empty. I average 22.1 mpg (70/30 hwy/city). I have strong doubts there is a 15 gallon tank on this thing. Last years model had a 13 gallon tank - almost certain they carried it onto this model as well. Still waiting to hear from anyone on this forum that ever put more than 13 gallons in at fill-up. I do like the vehicle. I am ticked off about the mpg (I ought to be averaging at least 26 mpg per the specs and my driving habits). But mostly just wish they had engineered a way to stick a 20 gallon tank on this thing and not a 13.1 (which I'm sure us what's actually there)!
    No. The owners manual specifies regular.
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    I ordered a Titanium AWD in the first week of December. Got my window sticker a few days ago and it's scheduled to be built March 5th. I've been watching these gas mileage posts and it looks like Ford made a mistake in putting in a gas tank that's too small. They did the same thing with the F150 when they introduced the 3.5 ecoboost and it took them a year or so to rectify that. You may see a bigger tank in a year or so but it won't do the rest of us any good.
  • rjak707rjak707 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2.0L SE FWD with 1500 miles on it and my wife has a 1.6L SE FWD with about 6500 miles on it. We don't see any appreciable difference in mileage between the 2 cars and generally average 25.5 to 26 MPG, with about a 60/40 hwy/city split.
    See post link title
    The manual says for the turbo engines regular is recommended, but you can get more power using a higher octane.
    edited March 2013
    Thanks.

Now the question is whether you'll take a mpg hit with this engine going for the more power option. They seem to be competing goals. :-)
    edited March 2013
    Steve, I am trying to do some tests on various fuels in my Escape (2.0 FWD) to see if I can track any difference. So far I don't really see any, but I want to run lot's more tanks through, before I draw any conclusions.

Generally speaking, a Normally Aspirated engine that is designed to run on regular, will not see any benefit to running Premium. Agreed.

These Escapes with the turbo MAY be a bit different. In my opinion, these engines should really run Premium, as they push 18 lbs of boost through the turbo. That being said, modern engine control systems (like the one on the Escape) are very good at utilizing any fuel you feed them. They don't knock or complain at all.
    When the specs say that the Escape will make more Hp on Premium, that tells me that it is able to adjust and utilize all of the octane in the fuel. (unlike a lower compression NA engine like the ones generally referred to in the article) That being the case, it should be running at designed efficiency also, while utilizing all of the octane.
    I also have a Normally Aspirated car in the driveway and it is designed for Regular. I never run Premium in it, as I know there would be no mileage or HP gains. (and perhaps even mileage and HP loss)

The one big factor here is that some gas stations advertise somewhere between 0% and 10 % Ethanol in their Regular fuel. (depending on region, season, local laws, availability etc etc)
    Many gas stations (depending on region) advertise that their Premium fuel does not contain Ethanol. This can be a mileage benefit.
    It's a real crap-shoot trying to figure out what you are ACTUALLY getting at some stations.

I have been cycling through 5 tanks Premium, 5 tanks Regular and 5 tanks with UP TO 10% Ethanol. If I ever get conclusive results I will share them. It's quite difficult when there are weather changes etc, to have consistant testing.

By the way, when the turbo is pushing at full boost, it raises the effective compression of the 2.0 motor from 9.3:1 all the way up to 20.7:1 (calculated for sea level)
    No doubt a little extra octane could be used !!!
    edited March 2013
    That's great; I really don't drive enough consistently anymore to try that. A tank these days will last me a month or more unless we do a road trip.

Guess it's time to mention pure-gas.org again for those wanting to try ethanol free gas. It's around here, but like your area, it's only available in the premium flavor.
  • usa1fanusa1fan Member Posts: 68
    That's awesome, steve! I sure wish I could get by driving so little that a tank of gas lasted that long.

For those asking, yes, we do have a 15 gallon tank. Ford's fuel gauge calibration is very conservative, as posted above.

And some of us do actually routinely get above the EPA combined numbers. I've been able to exceed the EPA highway number too, but only with a whole lot of effort and driving 55 mph maximum everywhere. My 'normal' (based on driving with regular traffic- higher speeds, quicker launches and all) is between 24 and 26 though, with a 60/40ish mix (it's fun estimating these %'s too- what exactly IS city for EPA versus me, or highway?).. 2.0l AWD SEL.

For what it's worth, since the EPA's updates, I've had a lot harder time beating the numbers posted on windows stickers than with other vehicles. Example- the 2008 Malibu LTZ V6 I owned prior to the Escape always was in the range of the posted sticker, but only rarely got to 30 mpg or above (again, acheived it, but VERY hard to do). It was probably right at 26mpg in the same conditions I get 24-26 for the Escape. Given that one is more aerodynamic, FWD, naturally aspirated, and the other had more frontal surface (higher C/D), AWD, and a turbocharger, I don't feel robbed. I do however, think cars produced since the change in testing standards tend to be harder to get above the numbers on the sticker.

My favorite cars for fuel economy are still older cars- our 2004 Malibu LT V6 (the first 3.5l GM offered in them, rather than the later version), routinely got over 32mpg, with a best-ever tank of over 38 (all hand-calculated, because I kept logs back then, too lazy now).