Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Ford Escape Gas Mileage

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,171
    We're back. :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• johnnyumajohnnyuma Posts: 54
    Here's my 8 month update:

9800 Total Miles
    Overall 25.0 MPG (I keep a spreadsheet - but I've never reset my trip2 - that indicates 25.2 MPG)
    High 31.0 MPG - Cruising 50-60 MPH (great weather in FL in Feb)
    Low 18.5 MPG - Short trips (lousy winter weather in MI in Dec)

Now that summer's here (warm weather and summer blend gas) I'm consistently getting 28 - 29 MPG cruising at 65 MPH.

2013 Titanium AWD
  • redhyde6redhyde6 Posts: 4
    I've also seen improvement in my MPG over all since it's gotten warmer here in NC. Overall since I've been tracking it (2/2013) I'm at an average of 28.4. The last few tanks have been especially great (as long as I don't let my husband drive) where I've been averaging 30-31 mpg. And I've gotten these going 70-75 on the interstates. :) We took a trip last weekend to Chimney Rock, NC, and still averaged around 28mpg.

1.6L SE FWD

I like the prior poster have been keeping a spreadsheet. In addition to tracking the normal things, I've been tracking what gas brand I've been using. I know they say that doesn't matter, and it's more the additives that can effect the MPG, but I've noticed consistantly I get the better MPG's driving the same routes each day on certain brands. Any one else tracked and noticed this? I consistantly get better MPG on Shell, Exxon and Sunoco.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,784
    "... I know they say that doesn't matter, and it's more the additives that can effect the MPG, but I've noticed consistantly I get the better MPG's driving the same routes each day on certain brands. Any one else tracked and noticed this? I consistantly get better MPG on Shell, Exxon and Sunoco. "

Shell and Exxon are top tier gas. I don't know about Sunoco, they don't have that one here in LA.
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    As "they" say, all gas is the same... except the additives. I use BP every time I fill up. I am back to 27+ for my daily drive of 3 city, 7 hwy miles to work and miscellaneous errands throughout the week.

2.0/FWD
    I don't have any loyalty to any particular brand of gas. So I don't bother tracking where I buy my gas. I'm aware of the top tier gas designation but I've never worried about buying gas from a top tier supplier. I buy gas based on price when I fill up locally and convenience when I'm traveling. Close to home I usually buy at an Admiral station (I think they're only in MI) and sometimes at a Shell or Marathon stations.

I track my mileage because it's a good overall indicator of engine performance. In the past 25 years or so (I'm thinking of fuel injected vehicles I've owned) I've never had a problem with a clogged injector (in fact never even had one replaced). Before then with carbureted cars I had some carburetor issues and I on occasion used gumout or some variant of a fuel additive. Today I don't use any fuel additives. I generally keep my cars until they have over 100,000 miles on them. I've had two vehicles with over 200,000 miles (1988 Chevy Cavalier and a 1993 Ford Probe GT) and again never had a problem with injectors or any fuel system issue (never even had a problem with a fuel filter).

If you conclude there's a difference in MPGs based on brand of gas I'd be interested in hearing about it. But for now I don't believe there is a difference.

BTW ethanol content in gas does make a difference. The higher the ethanol content the lower the MPGs.
    "... If you conclude there's a difference in MPGs based on brand of gas I'd be interested in hearing about it. But for now I don't believe there is a difference. ..."

Well, I have noticed difference on occasion, when filling up on trips, but I seldom fill up except at Shell or Mobile (both happen to be the cheapest around). So I don't have a good comparison. But I avoid really cheap stuff like Arco or Costco.

There is a whole thread about top tier gas...
  • s4oakss4oaks Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    Have had 2013 Escape 2.0 Eco-boost for about a week and am really disappointed in the mileage. The first tank is an average 18.5, city and highway combined, I realize that it may just be a breaking in period, but this is so much lower than what the sticker and gov't ratings say. I have read the other messages, so will continue to watch and wait. We're in So. Calif in 100+ heat, so hoping that the break-in combined with A/C usage account for the low mpg.

Using Shell unleaded for first tank.
  • All I can say is I wish those considering a Ford Escape would try the Mazda
    CX-5. My 2013 gets 28 MPG city/highway from day one, 6,000 miles and no problems/no recalls.
  • s4oakss4oaks Posts: 2
    We did try it, but since I am 6'5 ( long torso) I wasn't comfortable in the car, and the sunroof only made it worse!
    We did try the Mazda CX-5. Overall I was favorably impressed. The big negative was the lack of HP - 155 HP is not enough. Of course that problem's been corrected with the 2.5L available in the 2014. But even then the HP doesn't approach the 240 HP of the Escape 2L. Yes the fuel efficiency is a bit less but overall I'm at 25 MPG with my 2L Titanium.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,618
    Our '13 AWD Titanium is averaging just over 22 mpg, but it hasn't been on any road trips. This is already better than our '09 Limited, which went on lots of road trips.
    We have a good test coming up in a couple of weeks, heading to the Outer banks for vacation, so about 1700 miles.
    There will be 3 people, a bike or 2 out back, and maybe a hamberger on the roof.
    One thing I just noticed is a 110v outlet in the back of the console.
    Maybe I'll volunteer to sit in the back so I can watch movies. ;)
    edited July 2013
    and maybe a hamberger on the roof

Okay, I'll bite. Hamberger? Is that slang for a cargo carrier?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited July 2013
    Yes, I asked if anyone has used one, but haven't gotten a reply.
    I have one that I used on my Explorers, but it's too big for an Escape.
    I'll have to check that one out, Thanks.
    We took our first road trip in Feb with our AWD Titanium. Went to the FL panhandle from MI - about 2500 miles. Overall 27 MPG for the trip - snowing in MI when we left for FL, torrential downpour in FL when we left to come home (but a lot of nice weather while we were there), some city traffic and a lot of highway. Two people, no bikes and no hamburgers (mostly ate seafood). :shades:

Enjoy OBX. We were there a few years ago and had a great time!
    edited July 2013
    We were just in MI a week and a half ago, but we took my Fusion.
    If we had been able to stay a day longer, I could have done some exploring at the Packard plant with someone who knew it well.
    We headed to Hatteras, more our speed than Corolla.
    Hamburger not Ham(berger meister meister berger). :)
    I'm from the Detroit area originally. The Packard Plant is an interesting site to see. Another plant I suggest to see is the Ford Plant where Henry developed the Model T. it's now a museum. I haven't visited the museum yet but I hope to soon:

http://www.tplex.org/1_overview.html

In the fact the whole area is a historic district of old auto plants:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piquette_Avenue_Industrial_Historic_District

If you want to ride in a Model T go here:

http://www.thehenryford.org/village/transportation.aspx

Since this is a fuel mileage thread I better post something about MPGs. On my last trip to Greenfield Village I averaged 29 MPG (about 400 miles round trip) @60 - 65 MPH. That's the best I've seen in state. When I filled up my DTE indicator said 400 miles. BTW I've never had the TSB done for the screen change. I don't have the quad screen.

I have a Titanium AWD
    I've been to the Henry Ford/Greenfield Village several times and really want to go back again.
    I'm kind of familiar with Warren, my SIL used to live off 8 mile about 3 blocks from Van [non-permissible content removed] near the Dodge truck plant.
    I remember seeing the dirt thrown up by the tanks as they were being tested further up the street, closer to the GM Tech Center.
    Our 13 Escape averaged 23.8 last time it was filled up.
    We had a 2008 Fusion SEL AWD before (great car btw my daughter has it now) we got our AWD Titanium. The Fusion had the 3.5L V6 (221 HP). The 2.0L Escape gets 231 HP if you use regular gas (like I do) or 240 HP with premium. My overall mileage (about 66,000 miles) was 22 MPG with my Fusion (rated 17 city and 25 Highway). Compared to my 25 MPG (10,000 miles) with my Escape.
    I'm going to go with this rooftop carrier

It only opens from the rear and attaches with U bolts, which isn't ideal, but the side opening/built in attaching mechanism type are a couple of hundred more.
    edited July 2013
    Looks good. You can test it out and write the first review. The rocket boxes from Yak and Thule are amazingly expensive. Nowadays, unless I'm toting canoes, everything lives inside the minivan. In the old Tercel days, I'd cram all sorts of stuff up under the canoes. :blush:

Funny thing is, Thule has a manufacturing presence here in CT.
    I'm a bit concerned because the antenna is positioned just in front of the rear hatch, so there isn't a lot of room between it and the rear cross bar(about a foot).
    Since we haven't been on a road trip yet, it will be difficult to determine the effect of the cargo box on the trip fuel mileage.
    My guess is 1 to 2 mpg, but I've seen lots of stories claiming a 3 to 4 mph hit. Maybe pointy canoes do better, but unless I hit a headwind, my mpg rarely suffered more than 1 mpg with a boat up there.

Or so I like to tell myself. :-)

I considered this one a couple of years ago. It doesn't impede the airflow.

Saddlebag Cargo Carrier

I didn't buy it because my 2008 Escape Hybrid can't easily be fitted with a hitch.
    I have tons of drybags from boating but for most any of these, it would be a good idea to put stuff in garbage or heavier disposal bags in case of leaks.

The hitch carriers and this carrier would interfere with my frequent use of the back hatch, but it shouldn't hurt your mpg like something on the roof.

That's an interesting option, which I had not seen before.
    We are going to have a bike hitch attached, so I'm not sure they can work together.
    I bought the box I was looking at and took the Explorer to pick it up, as it fits inside.
    The Explorer must have been mad because the rear hatch was reluctant to open all the way and when I tried to help it along, one of the struts snapped off.
    After a few minutes I was able to re attach it, but it's broken, so point made!
  • tjack129tjack129 Posts: 2
    Just returned from 525 mile (each way) trip to Daytona for July 4th race. Lot's of interstate driving with some 4 lane highway driving. Running 75 on the I and 60-65 on highway when possible. My cute little Escape Titanium 2wd gave me 24.5 going down and 27.3 coming home. More than pleased with that mileage cause I was pushing it pretty good for an old man like me. Mileage improves greatly when you drop speed down around 60. Around 6500 miles on it and mileage seems to be improving some. Use regular gas all the time.....might do better on premium but I have not tried it yet. No other problems with it......just a pretty neat little ride over all and est of all the little wifey just loves it.
  • pdawg1pdawg1 Posts: 22
    Our Escape 2.0 4WD has been improving on mileage consistently since purchase new. The Trip 2 figures are never reset, so I know my overall mileage for thousands of miles and it has gone up to 24.2 from less than 22.0. I am right at the mileage for the first oil change and tire rotation, 5000 miles and expect mileage to improve even more.
    Side Bar: We have the full sun roof with automatic shade, with the windows down and the shade closed, this thing flaps like a wounded bird. Anybody else notice this?
  • escapeismescapeism Posts: 39
    Oh yes, I've noticed. Not a good design at all.
  • automelon48automelon48 Posts: 101
    SEL 2.0 FWD
    After 33 tanks and 10,000 miles my overall average is 24.25 Mpg. Best tank so far is 30.0Mpg which was all highway at 68-69 Mph with cruise control. (round trip, same day)
    Overall average and Highway mileage are right on EPA figures. (with my driving style)
    (I could get worse mileage if my right foot was as heavy as it wants to be)
    I am still gathering data on fuel grades and with / without Ethanol.
    I have done a bit of trailer towing as well, so I am quite happy with the mileage results.