Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ford Escape Gas Mileage

Comments

• johnnyumajohnnyuma Member Posts: 54
    We did try the Mazda CX-5. Overall I was favorably impressed. The big negative was the lack of HP - 155 HP is not enough. Of course that problem's been corrected with the 2.5L available in the 2014. But even then the HP doesn't approach the 240 HP of the Escape 2L. Yes the fuel efficiency is a bit less but overall I'm at 25 MPG with my 2L Titanium.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    Our '13 AWD Titanium is averaging just over 22 mpg, but it hasn't been on any road trips. This is already better than our '09 Limited, which went on lots of road trips.
    We have a good test coming up in a couple of weeks, heading to the Outer banks for vacation, so about 1700 miles.
    There will be 3 people, a bike or 2 out back, and maybe a hamberger on the roof.
    One thing I just noticed is a 110v outlet in the back of the console.
    Maybe I'll volunteer to sit in the back so I can watch movies. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2013
    and maybe a hamberger on the roof

Okay, I'll bite. Hamberger? Is that slang for a cargo carrier?
    edited July 2013
    Yes, I asked if anyone has used one, but haven't gotten a reply.
    I have one that I used on my Explorers, but it's too big for an Escape.
    I'll have to check that one out, Thanks.
    We took our first road trip in Feb with our AWD Titanium. Went to the FL panhandle from MI - about 2500 miles. Overall 27 MPG for the trip - snowing in MI when we left for FL, torrential downpour in FL when we left to come home (but a lot of nice weather while we were there), some city traffic and a lot of highway. Two people, no bikes and no hamburgers (mostly ate seafood). :shades:

Enjoy OBX. We were there a few years ago and had a great time!
    edited July 2013
    We were just in MI a week and a half ago, but we took my Fusion.
    If we had been able to stay a day longer, I could have done some exploring at the Packard plant with someone who knew it well.
    We headed to Hatteras, more our speed than Corolla.
    Hamburger not Ham(berger meister meister berger). :)
    I'm from the Detroit area originally. The Packard Plant is an interesting site to see. Another plant I suggest to see is the Ford Plant where Henry developed the Model T. it's now a museum. I haven't visited the museum yet but I hope to soon:

http://www.tplex.org/1_overview.html

In the fact the whole area is a historic district of old auto plants:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piquette_Avenue_Industrial_Historic_District

If you want to ride in a Model T go here:

http://www.thehenryford.org/village/transportation.aspx

Since this is a fuel mileage thread I better post something about MPGs. On my last trip to Greenfield Village I averaged 29 MPG (about 400 miles round trip) @60 - 65 MPH. That's the best I've seen in state. When I filled up my DTE indicator said 400 miles. BTW I've never had the TSB done for the screen change. I don't have the quad screen.

I have a Titanium AWD
    I've been to the Henry Ford/Greenfield Village several times and really want to go back again.
    I'm kind of familiar with Warren, my SIL used to live off 8 mile about 3 blocks from Van [non-permissible content removed] near the Dodge truck plant.
    I remember seeing the dirt thrown up by the tanks as they were being tested further up the street, closer to the GM Tech Center.
    Our 13 Escape averaged 23.8 last time it was filled up.
    We had a 2008 Fusion SEL AWD before (great car btw my daughter has it now) we got our AWD Titanium. The Fusion had the 3.5L V6 (221 HP). The 2.0L Escape gets 231 HP if you use regular gas (like I do) or 240 HP with premium. My overall mileage (about 66,000 miles) was 22 MPG with my Fusion (rated 17 city and 25 Highway). Compared to my 25 MPG (10,000 miles) with my Escape.
    I'm going to go with this rooftop carrier

It only opens from the rear and attaches with U bolts, which isn't ideal, but the side opening/built in attaching mechanism type are a couple of hundred more.
    edited July 2013
    Looks good. You can test it out and write the first review. The rocket boxes from Yak and Thule are amazingly expensive. Nowadays, unless I'm toting canoes, everything lives inside the minivan. In the old Tercel days, I'd cram all sorts of stuff up under the canoes. :blush:
    Funny thing is, Thule has a manufacturing presence here in CT.
    I'm a bit concerned because the antenna is positioned just in front of the rear hatch, so there isn't a lot of room between it and the rear cross bar(about a foot).
    Since we haven't been on a road trip yet, it will be difficult to determine the effect of the cargo box on the trip fuel mileage.
    My guess is 1 to 2 mpg, but I've seen lots of stories claiming a 3 to 4 mph hit. Maybe pointy canoes do better, but unless I hit a headwind, my mpg rarely suffered more than 1 mpg with a boat up there.

Or so I like to tell myself. :-)
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I considered this one a couple of years ago. It doesn't impede the airflow.

Saddlebag Cargo Carrier

I didn't buy it because my 2008 Escape Hybrid can't easily be fitted with a hitch.
    I have tons of drybags from boating but for most any of these, it would be a good idea to put stuff in garbage or heavier disposal bags in case of leaks.

The hitch carriers and this carrier would interfere with my frequent use of the back hatch, but it shouldn't hurt your mpg like something on the roof.
    That's an interesting option, which I had not seen before.
    We are going to have a bike hitch attached, so I'm not sure they can work together.
    I bought the box I was looking at and took the Explorer to pick it up, as it fits inside.
    The Explorer must have been mad because the rear hatch was reluctant to open all the way and when I tried to help it along, one of the struts snapped off.
    After a few minutes I was able to re attach it, but it's broken, so point made!
  • tjack129tjack129 Member Posts: 2
    Just returned from 525 mile (each way) trip to Daytona for July 4th race. Lot's of interstate driving with some 4 lane highway driving. Running 75 on the I and 60-65 on highway when possible. My cute little Escape Titanium 2wd gave me 24.5 going down and 27.3 coming home. More than pleased with that mileage cause I was pushing it pretty good for an old man like me. Mileage improves greatly when you drop speed down around 60. Around 6500 miles on it and mileage seems to be improving some. Use regular gas all the time.....might do better on premium but I have not tried it yet. No other problems with it......just a pretty neat little ride over all and est of all the little wifey just loves it.
  • pdawg1pdawg1 Member Posts: 22
    Our Escape 2.0 4WD has been improving on mileage consistently since purchase new. The Trip 2 figures are never reset, so I know my overall mileage for thousands of miles and it has gone up to 24.2 from less than 22.0. I am right at the mileage for the first oil change and tire rotation, 5000 miles and expect mileage to improve even more.
    Side Bar: We have the full sun roof with automatic shade, with the windows down and the shade closed, this thing flaps like a wounded bird. Anybody else notice this?
  • escapeismescapeism Member Posts: 39
    Oh yes, I've noticed. Not a good design at all.
  • automelon48automelon48 Member Posts: 105
    SEL 2.0 FWD
    After 33 tanks and 10,000 miles my overall average is 24.25 Mpg. Best tank so far is 30.0Mpg which was all highway at 68-69 Mph with cruise control. (round trip, same day)
    Overall average and Highway mileage are right on EPA figures. (with my driving style)
    (I could get worse mileage if my right foot was as heavy as it wants to be)
    I am still gathering data on fuel grades and with / without Ethanol.
    I have done a bit of trailer towing as well, so I am quite happy with the mileage results.
    Had the dealer apply TSB 13-2-1 while I was in for the works.
    When I left home the DTE read 355, just filled up.
    Drove 20+ miles to the dealer and when I got the Escape back, the DTE read 423!
    That's more like it.
  • the3fordmigosthe3fordmigos Member Posts: 2
    That's nothing, I've been averaging 34mpgs on the highway doing 65-70 with my 2.0L Titanium, averaging 28mpgs overall!!!!
    FWD or AWD? Hand calculated MPGs or indicated?
  • the3fordmigosthe3fordmigos Member Posts: 2
    Fwd, trip computer readout.
    The update for the DTE took about an hour, so it was a lot more than that.
    My wife likes the quad info display. I only saw it briefly, but I think it displays fuel mileage, distance to empty, distance traveled, and gallons used.
    Still pleased with my gas mileage and it is getting better, but also still have a concern on the size of the fuel tank. At 50 miles to empty, we put in only 11 gallons, which means there should be 4 gallons left in our 15 gallon tank. However, getting close to 25 mpg, we should be putting in 13 gallons. Has anybody else noticed this calculation...............?
  • izedamanizedaman Member Posts: 16
    the extra 2 gallons is a 'reserve' most places dont list the reserve tanks as the full capacity. they should have stated its a 13 gallon tank.
    edited July 2013
    There has been a fair bit of discussion about this. The original program in the Escape shows a Distance To Empty which is very conservative. You can have that re-programmed by the dealer. (as noted in recent posts)
    Also, the DTE is based on your Running Average Fuel Economy (RAFE) which is your average fuel economy for the last 500 miles. So, if your previous tank of gas was (for example) mostly city driving, idling etc, then that mileage would be factoring into your current Distance To Empty.

I have run my DTE all the way down to zero miles and put in 14.X gallons of gas.
    Do you mean to say that after the DTE update, you have a "new" quad display? Showing gallons used etc???
    I assumed that the DTE update would only affect the numbers seen for DTE. I didn't know that it would add more information into a "quad display".
    Please confirm or post a picture if you can.
    Yes, I am saying there is a new display option in the screen between the tach and speedometer.
    You can try googling it.
  • printerman1printerman1 Member Posts: 68
    unless you are an egg shell driver, I dont think one will see much difference. IN Europe, the escape is called a KUGA. They see much better gas mileage, than emission. we are too emissions conscious here, ie Ethanol (corn). Here in Ontario, the govt makes a money on Etesting. Pure BS
    I have seen the Kuga's in Germany. I parked beside one which was a 2.0 Turbo Diesel (Duratorq)with a manual 6-speed. I wish that was offered here.
    Not sure where you get the fuel economy information from.
    The gas powered Kuga's have less powerful 1.6 engines than what we run here in North America, so it is not quite an apples to apples comparison. Their entry level Ecoboost is only 150 Hp, so it better get good mileage!
    Their 150Hp version also has auto-stop-start for city driving which makes it even thriftier.
    I am loving the torque of the 2.0L Turbo and I find the mileage / power trade-off to be quite acceptable.
    We are fortunate that our fuel prices are very affordable compared to Europe.
    Update on the quad display. It show miles traveled, distance to empty, MPG, and engine hours.
    Right now displaying 273 miles traveled, 99 to empty and 25.3 mpg.
    That works out to 14.7 gallons (total range/MPG).
    Leaving on our vacation tomorrow. Just put the box on top.
    3 people plus luggage outbound. 4 people plus luggage back on the return trip.
    Thanks for the info, explorerx4.
    I was able to find a picture of the new quad display on the net as well. Looks interesting.
    I have a question about it. Now that all 4 of those variables are displayed at the same time, if you hold down the (OK) reset button to reset the number(s) do they all reset at the same time? With the "old" display, I can reset the variables individually. (ie, reset the fuel economy without affecting the trip hours or trip distance.
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    Yes...if you hold down the (OK) button for a couple of seconds it will reset all 4. That's what I do.
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    EPA just downgraded the 2014 1.6L FWD HWY to 32mpg, well that's just shocking!!!
    Drove from Hartford, CT area, via Wilkes-Barre PA, down to Hatteras, NC and back.
    1519 miles using 62.8 gallons of gas.
    It would seem disappointing, but we we had a cargo box on top, 3 or 4 passengers, and ran into lots of traffic/bad weather. A/C was on 100% of the trip.
    Ride, handling and seat comfort were pretty good.
    We listened to 'Classic Vinyl', just about the whole trip.The vacation was great. :shades:
    edited July 2013
    So, 24.19 times three passengers. 72 mpg is pretty good. :shades:

How'd that cargo box work out for you?
    edited July 2013
    The cargo box worked out great. It's kind of simple, attaches with u bolts and only opens at the back, but the boxy shape held lots of stuff. The contents didn't get wet despite driving through heavy rain for over 100 miles at one point.
    for about 60 miles yesterday. The mileage readout went from 24.5 to 26 by the time we got home. Closing in on 13k miles.
    I'm guessing we will have no problem averaging the EPA of 28 or more on a trip.
  • nsechsnsechs Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1.6L 4WD SE with 2659 miles on it already. I will agree, when I purchase my escape i was getting 18mpg city and 22 highway. for the first 1000 miles i was getting that. Note, I am using 87 octane with 10% ethanol. It wasn't till after the first 1000 miles that I started to note a increase in mpg. Just finish taking a trip (total of 510 miles) 90% highway, and I was getting between 29-31mpg. The computer was reading 32.5mpg but my calculation was 29-31, I was going 65-70 mph. This was with a combination of going up and down hills. So I will agree that this all has to do with driving habits, because when i did a trip going 75-80 mph I got 24-26mpg. When my girlfriend is in the car i drive slower and thus get better mpg's. Since my last car was a 96 Grand Cherokee with a V8 engine getting 9mpg city and 14 highway, I am doing the happy dance because I am doubling my mpg's now.
    Double is good!
    2013 SEL 2.0 FWD
    Now with 40 tanks of fuel, 20,000km (12,500 miles) my lifetime fuel economy average is holding at 24.25Mpg (9.7L/100km)This has included some trailer towing for the last 4 months.
    My most recent highway trip (no trailer) was 30Mpg (7.8L/100km)(31.5 on dash display) with the cruise set for 110Kph (69Mph) and sometimes faster. Regular 87 octane. No Ethanol.

Just for fun, I spent 5 minutes and removed the cross rails on my roof-rack.
    I never use the roof rack anyway, so why bother having them drag though the air for the next few years........

Quite pleased with fuel economy. I am glad I ordered FWD, as I know this uses about 7% less fuel than AWD. Runs great in the winter with snow tires.
  • mjlambiemjlambie Member Posts: 1
    Did they fix this for you. We've had ours for about 10 months, and have silmiar mpg results driving city (los angeles) and highway/interstate. I really hate the lag on the acceleration! Also the navigation calibration is never on. It makes it so hard to follow any directions when it always thinks we're 50 ft off in another direction.
  • nr7000nr7000 Member Posts: 6
    I admit that this is a really stupid question, but I'm going on a road trip soon and I need the peace of mind. What is the pressure at which I should inflate my 2013 1.6L FWD Escape's tires?

There is a lot of jargon on the plate on the B-pillar where I'm supposed to see this, and while I am fairly sure all tires should be at 35 PSI when "cold," I would greatly appreciate confirmation. Googling yielded surprisingly little help.

Thank you for your time and help!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    No... not all tires should be 35 psi when cold.. For instance, my car recommends 32 psi front/38 psi rear. I've had other that recommended as low as 29 psi.

Follow the information on the B-Pillar, and make sure it correlates with the size tire that you have on your vehicle (in case you have an optional size).

If you are taking a road trip with a large load of luggage, you may want to increase the psi by a small amount (1-3 lbs.)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    Don't know where you live, but if you're going from a warm climate to a cold, you may want to over inflate because for every 10 degrees drop in temp, you lose 1 pound of pressure. When I travel to AZ from MN in January, I have to lower the pressure when I get there and when I leave in mid Feb., over inflate so when I reach the colder temps as I travel north, I'm properly inflated.
  • biltoskbiltosk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 ford escape 4wd with the 2-0 liter engine. I live in Pittsburgh,Pa. I was told to wait until there was 2000 miles on car before I could get the Ford Ecoboost avertised MPG I now have over 4000 miles on the car and get 16 to 17 MPG (5 MPG below the Ford estimate) in city driving.when I inquire at the Ford Dealership about the low MPG the question "well how do you drive" is always asked,"normal" is my answer.I am very DISAPPOINTED and am always filling the tank. is it me or do others have the same problem?
    It is not you, most of us with the 4WD 2.0 have the same issue with city MPG. Last summer, mostly non city driving, we got close to 27 over all, we have since moved temporarily to town and the MPG went to what you are getting. I keep hoping Ford will come up with a fix, but nothing yet. We need to keep the pressure on to Ford to know this is not acceptable.
  • lexan1965lexan1965 Member Posts: 118

I've had my 2013 Escape (1.6L) for 8 months now and have 20K miles on it. I drive 80 miles round trip a day to and from work. I'm averaging 26.8 mpg this winter, and summer it goes up to 29.8 mpg. I've taken it on a long trip to Florida and got 28.5 at 70-80 mph. I drive about 70%hwy and 30% city, mostly flat. I have nothing to complain about on my Escapes gas mileage.