Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Fusion Hybrid

Comments

• pricefam1pricefam1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the information, acdii. I am sorry to hear that you're having trouble with yours. You said you have a "CEL", what's that?
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Check Engine Light. The one that looks like an engine. I dropped it off this morning, it was on solid still, and when I pulled out onto a highway at half throttle, it stumbled again and the CEL was blinking for a bit then went solid again.
  • mvazquezmvazquez Member Posts: 1
    The 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid are been held due to repairs, and I have not received my yet. I ordered the ford fusion hybrid around the end of April. It is January now and still working on the 2013 fusion hybrid. Do not look forward to he beginning, but toward the midle of 2013. :cry::cry:
    Got the car back after 3 days in the shop, total of 5 days now. All four plugs were carbon fouled. Test drive resulted in No Problem Found! Still only getting 36 MPG according to the dash. Ford told the tech, release the car and have customer drive it to see if problem returns. So then what? Replace the plugs again when they foul?

Seems to me that Ford can't put two and two together, the car does not get good MPG, and the plugs were carbon fouled at 4500 miles. I may not know how the Ford system works, but I do know that when you run too rich fuel setting, you foul the plugs, and waste gas.

Smells like :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    acdii how has the car performed since the plug replacement?
    Not much change. Took a trip the following sunday to Waukesha, and got 36 MPG going no faster than 65 MPH. The next couple days I drove it going no faster than 2000 RPM, and using as much EV as possible, getting up to 55 very slowly and saw 41, did that 2 days and have not been able to get it to 40 since. Took another highway trip going no faster than 65 on ecocruise last Sunday got 36 with a tail wind, and only 31 on the return trip. It was a 50 mile trip.

On Monday I took my 2010 in the interstate, set the cruise at 65 and over a 20 mile trip got 36.5 MPG, .5 over EPA highway.

Drove the like I normally drive the 2010 and only got 34 MPG, I usually get 38 in the 10.

So did it fix it, NOPE. :lemon:
  • b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    With the cold weather we've been having in California for the past three weeks, my average MPG has been in the low 30s. However, it has warmed up to the mid 60 degrees for the past two days and my commutes (mostly 65-70 mph) have been between 39-42 mpg.
  • socalfusionsocalfusion Member Posts: 10
    Purchased my 2013 Fusion hybrid yesterday (blk on blk w/ luxury, tech, nav, driver assist packages along with the sunroof). Took it on a 184 mile drive thru the SoCal hills into the desert. Mostly rural roads at about 45-60mph and some freeway. Filled it up after returning where it took 4.278 gallons. That's 43mpg. After reading the posts here that's much better than I thought it would do.

Other observations so far - car feels very tight and well built. Headlights are pretty lame in terms of brightness. Not sure that the lane departure system works at least in the "normal" setting. I purposely wandered over on a deserted stretch of road and nothing happened. Reset it to "high" intensity and it was way too sensitive. One time after backing out and shifting to Drive the rear view camera stayed on so I just stopped, shifted back to Park and then back to Drive again and it went away. Had a little problem with the touch controls for the sunroof. Either I wasn't hitting the exact spots on the overhead console or it was acting up. Also wish Ford had installed a motorized tilt/telescoping steering wheel adjustment. It's a hassle (and unsafe) to try and adjust it while driving. Probably more of an issue on long road trips where one position gets a bit tiring.

All in all though its a great car with tons of technology.

John
    Sounds like you got a good one! The lights are a bit low, might want to adjust them up a bit, I think they purposely point them down. They are OK for city driving, but out on dark roads they suck.

Lane keeping works fine, just remember to engage it on the turn signal stick when you want it, it only works when you turn them on. you also have to let the car drift by itself and it will autocorrect, but dont take your hands off or it will yell at you.

You can turn the BUC delay off in the settings, its got a delay to keep the camera on until you reach 5 MPH going forward.

Takes some getting used to the sunroof controls, I gave up the first couple times, couldnt quite figure out which one to touch to vent or open, stopped fiddling when I finally got it closed.

You didn't mention if you have the Adaptive cruise, but that is a hoot to have on the car, but has its quirks too, a car turning in a left or right lane on a 2 lane road will cause the car to slow down even though the car is in another lane. It also gives you an eye opening experience if spray gets into it on a rainy day, it feels like the car hit a wall when it disconnects.
    edited January 2013
    Yes, I have the adaptive cruise control which I used quite a bit today ( I also used the "Ecco Cruise" feature). I had it on my previous car and really like it. I agree that it can be a bit quirky with traffic turning in front of you or on a close curve with opposing traffic.

I'll have to work on the sunroof controls. Maybe a piece of colored tape would help find the proper spot when driving.

I think that I am just used to higher quality headlights than what Ford chose to install in the Fusion.

Thanks,

John
    Needs HID's.
  • laramarlaramar Member Posts: 1
    Does your Hybrid SE with the luxury package have the cool built-in dual tailpipes, as seen on the Titanium? I'm thinking of getting the Titanium for that feature alone, but would go with the SE if I could get the pipes. That, plus the fact that apparently you can't get Dune leather on the Hybrid Titanium - only Charcoal!! (I like the Dune over the Charcoal!)
    No, just a single tailpipe on the SE Hybrid. I prefer the Dune interior also, but it's not available on the Titanium.
    Neither Hybrid has dual tail pipes. Not happening. It may have something to do with the hybrids exhaust system not capable of having 2 exits, maybe not enough restriction, or maybe not enough room underneath for the muffler.

Going to be a long wait before the HyTi hits the showroom, they have yet to build one.
  • lucien4lucien4 Member Posts: 68
    I noticed Consumer reports got 41 mpg on highway. They test on a flat road at 65 mph (going back and forth to eliminate wind factor and I assume they coast without acceleration).

There are 2 other factors: temperature and battery charge. Temperature shouldn't be underestimated especially for short trips but if it's a long trip you should get at least 41 mpg I'd think.

Battery charge level is dependent a lot on stop & go obviously which is often why city mpg EPA is higher (or you could hypermile...).

Looking at Fuelly.com you do see several people hitting 45 mpg+ but most likely they drive around 55-60 mpg.

I'm considering either Fusion Hybrid or the Accord Hybrid which is coming in fall. Might do a test drive and see if I can reach close to EPA.
    If you want to get anything over 40 MPG on the highway in the 2013 Fusion Hybrid you will need to learn pulse and glide. It is not easy to do. If you wish to do the interstate speed limits, 65+ you can forget 40 MPG, you wont get it. So far I have been able to surpass the MPG in the 2013 Fusion with my 2010 Fusion.

In city driving, where you have stop and go traffic and can maximize regen and EV, the 13 does very well, often over 50 MPG, but you have to reduce your stopping as much as possible.

I test drove both a Camry Hybrid, and an Avalon Hybrid, and in both cars was able to hit 40 MPG on the test drive with a mix of 35 MPH city and 55 MPH highway with some steep hills involved. Both cars hit their EPA marks in the test drives, in cold weather below 32*.

I recommend driving all of them before you decide. In the Fusion, dont be locked into the car, it is very nice, but if you are buying to get the best in MPG, you wont get it in the Fusion. You will be more likely to get the best MPG out of the Camry. If you don't mind getting 30's in the Fusion though, it is a very nice car.
    Interestingly CR got better mpg with the Camry hybrid just like you say, but then got better mpg with the Fusion in the city (probably because of larger battery).

If you do only highway miles then you most likely get similar mpg with some of the non-hybrid sedans (e.g. Nissan especially and Camry/Sonata slightly lower).

The energi sounds interesting too but not seeing many local dealers having it in stock.
    You nailed it. The Camry/Avalon Hybrids do very well Highway, while the Fusion excels in city driving.

The Energi just started production about 2 weeks ago, so it will be a few more weeks before they are physically on the lots.
  • faircrestfaircrest Member Posts: 1
    I got mine for about $1500 less than invoice and mine is loaded with 18 in wheelsd and all the safety extras. Only put 400 miles and I am getting 34 mpg in most city driving but some highway but for pretty low distances. Love my Fusion.
    edited February 2013
    There's 1 dealer that had Energi in stock but it's 80 miles away so I first checked out the hybrid today.

The interior is really nice. Huge improvement over previous Fusion. It's also quite spacious. The trunk is reasonable for a hybrid as the batteries are pushed to the outer sides (instead of blocking pass through).

I got around 37-39 mpg at highway at about 60 mpg. With a non-hybrid sedan I usually get slightly better but with little bit pulse & glide it went into 40's. It was a short drive so not sure where I would have ended up. Overall I got 54 mpg. The stop & go is where it increased quickly.
    I had no problem with brakes either. Felt fine to me.

Still contemplating between PHEV or HEV since I do a lot highway miles but they offer carpool access here and $1500 state rebate. But cargo space is a big compromise with no foldable rear seats and only little bit more than 8 cu ft. The C-Max is better there but don't like design too much.
    edited February 2013
    I've had my Fusion Hybrid for about a month now and thought I'd post the mpg so far. I calculate this the old fashion way by filling the tank and dividing the miles driven by the gallons used.

Total miles driven so far is 1,900. My commute is 50 miles roundtrip with about 60% freeway. I use the intelligent cruise control quite a bit in the Eco cruise mode when traffic allows. I usually cruise between 65-75 on the freeway. Haven't tried pulse and glide yet. Doubt it would work very well on congested SoCal freeways as the driver behind you would quickly get annoyed. The car has run flawlessly and overall I'm quite satisfied with it. I researched the mpg issues before I bought it and didn't expect to achieve Ford's claimed 47/47 mileage. I'm quite happy with the mileage thus far. The car feels very solid and well built. Love the iPod integration, seats are comfortable, brakes are excellent with none of the grabbiness noted in some reviews, handling is better than I expected for a fwd car. I find the driving experience in the Fusion somewhat relaxing actually given its quiet interior and leasurely pace. Even got a wave from another Fusion yesterday!
    edited February 2013
    I noticed this C-Max review by Wayne Geerdes:

CleanMPG C-Max review

He also found that city mpg is good but highway not so much.
    Interesting is the speed to mpg graph. So at 60mph you'd hit EPA.
    The Fusion according to CR is slightly more efficient than C-Max but should be similar in behavior.

The Camry Hybrid should be more efficient on highway if you look at cleanmpg's review but little bit less in city. The car though is so boring especially compared to the Fusion imo.
  • pricefam1pricefam1 Member Posts: 3
    Well, today is Feb. 25 and I am still waiting for the HyTi I ordered on Dec.4 to be built. They haven't even assigned a VIN so who knows how many more months it will be until I take delivery...unless I become completely fed up and take my business elsewhere, and that's the direction I am heading. The biggest frustration is Ford not being up front about why there's a delay in starting production on this model. The original date was 1/7 but it continues to be pushed back and Ford offers no explanation. I could be a lot more patient if I knew how much longer Ford plans to make me wait.
    Rumor has it that they are going to start producing them at the Michigan plant, instead of in Mexico, mainly due to the line being over run with orders. The plant produces the S, SE, Titanium, Hybrid SE, Energi, Energi Titanium, MKZ, and MKZ Hybrids, and cant keep up with demand.

As it stands now, since I cant get Ford to even call me to work something out on mine, because I know something aint quite right with it, I road tested another Fusion Hybrid and was easily able to get better MPG in it, and also in a Cmax, than I can get in mine, I am more than likely going to get rid of it for a Toyota instead. I test drove a couple Toyota Hybrid sedans and was easily able to hit EPA in them, where I cant even get close in the Fusion even with hypermiling the crap out of it.

All I asked for was a nice car that got good gas mileage, and I got one that doesn't even come close. :mad: What I got was a :lemon: At 4500 miles all 4 plugs fouled and no explanation as to why. Car runs cold all the time, my feet are never cold in my 2010, but they get cold in the 13, in fact I have to turn the heat up to 74 to get it warm enough, in the 2010, its at 69.

I easily get EPA in the 2010 Fusion Hybrid, and I should be getting at least as good if not better in the 13, but I dont.

When you factor in that its cold, burns too much fuel, and fouled the plugs at 4500 miles, That is a good indication something is wrong, but their fancy pants computer tells them otherwise, and they road test using extreme pulse and glide to get 42 MPG out of it, so no problem found.

Adios Ford.
    "I find the driving experience in the Fusion somewhat relaxing actually given its quiet interior and leisurely pace."
    socalfusion: Thank you for posting this. It is what almost every FFH driver is feeling.
    Lucien4: The Fusion Hybrid is the right choice. You won't regret it. I now have 4,100 miles on mine.
    A TCH owner just posted this on the Toyota Nation site:
    "Now you're making me feel even more buyer's remorse. I really liked the FFH but in the end, I chose the TCH because of proven technology and because the FFH's fuel economy ratings turned out to not be based in the real world. I'm not at all saying that the TCH is a bad car but I just don't feel a connection to it that I have with other cars."
    The emotion you will feel from owning and driving the FFH is a major factor that sets it apart from all other cars.
    Taking the FFH on a little road trip this weekend up to the Eastern Sierra. About 800 miles or so round trip. No snow expected. Be interesting to see how the mileage works out. Mainly freeway miles so perhaps not as good. Good time to try some pulse and glide on hiway 395 as its not a busy road.
  • bboozebbooze Member Posts: 34
    Hi. I ordered a Fusion Hybrid on December 31 and was told it would be 8 weeks for delivery. Was getting updates during the production process but suddenly it is March and the dealer is telling me the car was finished in mid February but is now being "held" for some issue. He said it sounded like some sort of quality recheck.

Does anyone else have one on order and delayed? Just trying to figure out what the deal is.
    I've heard some models were sent to Ford US for quality inspection as they had initial quality issues. But not sure if that's still the case.

You could check and track your order with Ford if you have the VIN.
  • bboozebbooze Member Posts: 34
    I've been told that my Fusion was actually finished being built on Feb 3 but it has been on hold from Ford for reasons they won't tell the dealer. Nor will they tell the dealer what the timeline is for shipment. This is a first for me so I don't know what to make of it but it just smells odd. Hard to believe they can simply finish a car and hold onto it for over a month without giving ANY color as to why.

I'm also told this is affecting other people as well but given the lack of complaints on here of vehicles not being delivered I'm suspect this is actually the case.

:mad:
    Not the first time. They had held back something like 20,000 cars between October and December for quality issues. They shipped a bunch to other locations for further quality issues. Which would you rather have, a car delivered with defects, or one that Ford went over 100% before delivering?

Me I wish they had done more QC checking on mine, since it cant get anywhere near the EPA ratings, nor what my 2010 can get without a LOT of hypermiling. :lemon:
    edited March 2013
    Achieved a personal best today of 44.5 mpg (195.8 miles, 4.404 gallons). These were commuting miles with about 60% freeway. Total miles on the car is now 3,600. So far I've gotten 40+ mpg on five tanks. Worst was 36.6. This is certainly the best Ford I've ever owned, if not the best car overall.
  • husky6husky6 Member Posts: 1
    I am deciding between the 2013 Fusion Hybid Titanium and the 2013 Lexus 300 Hybrid. I drove them both for an hour+ each this week, and I personally like the suspension and style of car of the Fusion over the Lexus. However, I am very concerned about MPG, interior color, quality, and trade-in value.

Regarding MPG, my test driving was roughly 50% highway and 50% city. The Fusion trip mileage was 23 miles per gallon, whereas the Lexus was 35 miles per gallon. Both were brand new cars from the dealer. I am concerned from what I'm seeing in this Forum that the Fusion rated 47 MPG is incorrect, and may actually be worse than the Lexus, which is rated at 40/39 MPG.

Regarding interior color, the Fusion Hybrid Titanium is only available in charcoal (black). I assume this material would be very hot when parked outside during the summer. Can anyone in a warm climate confirm this?

Regarding quality, Lexus/Toyota is known for quality, and has the most experience producing Hybrids, whereas Ford is not. The interior of the Fusion appears to be generally made of cheaper materials than the Lexus, such as leather trim seats, but I guess that's what you expect from a less expensive car. I wonder if it will wear faster?

Trade-in value is directly related to quality. I would expect the Lexus to retain its value longer.

Having said all this, I prefer the design, suspension, and style of the Fusion over the Lexus. I would probably buy the Fusion over the Lexus if I was confident that the gas mileage would be 40+ MPG, and/or simply higher than the Lexus, with my driving style.

Comments??
    Where did you find a Fusion Hybrid Titanium? Are you 100% certain it was a Hybrid? Reason I ask is they just started producing them and no dealers that I can find have one on the lot that has not already been snapped up. If you only got 23 MPG I suspect it was not a Hybrid. A lot depends on driving temp and traffic on the Fusions, they are really sensitive to cold where the HSD is not. However when you can get the Fusion to work right, the MPG is outstanding. There are many owners starting to see mid to upper 40's now with warmer weather.

The quality of the Fords has been much better than Toyota with the Fusions if you compare to a Camry, to a Lexus though, you need to compare apples, the Lincoln MKZ is the closer comparison to the Lexus.

The new Fusion is a really nice car, but has some growing pains to over come with the new generation Hybrid drive, the Lexus is still old school HSD so it will be dependable and will return its EPA numbers more than the Fords will, for now. Ford eventually will get its collective head out of their asses and get the software working right so the cars do return their rated MPG.

If you can afford a Lexus, I would suggest checking out the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, they are some really nice looking cars and share the Fusions chassis, so they should drive the same.
    edited March 2013
    I'd suggest take another test drive with Fusion and check mpg including instant mpg. That's what I did (I definitely got lot more than 40+ mpg).
    Note though for short trips you can't really compare well unless you know battery charge level was same.

Looking at fuelly.com there isn't huge difference between Fusion hybrid and ES300h averages and CR found these numbers:

ES300h: 28/44/36 mpg
    Fusion hybrid: 35/41/39 mpg

So the Lexus will do better than Fusion on highway and worse in city (no surprise since it's larger and heavier I believe). But still ymmv of course.

Even if Lexus was slightly more fuel efficient the price difference is huge. Lexus ES 300h typically starts around $45K and that's not fully loaded.
    And depreciation might be less in % but still more in absolute numbers.

I haven't seen any Titanium hybrid models either yet. I skipped the Titanium since it wasn't available in dune interior and I'm fine with the 17" wheels which should give little bit better mpg.
    I agree with everything Lucien4 has said. I passed a brand new ES300 on my way home last night and, although I know I'm prejudice, it is a very bland vehicle. You would give up the push button start and Sony stero by not selecting the Titanium trim, but the SE will give you the Dune interior (which I wouldn't live without) and much better looking Luxury wheels. So far, the reliability of the FFH has been excellent. You won't regret choosing the Ford. The money you save is an extra bonus.
    http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130322/CARREVIEWS/130329976

This review of the 300H from Autoweek might help. There is no doubt it is an excellent car, but it's 45K and they report MPG closer to 30.
  • moose95moose95 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I second the comments from acdii - I am pretty sure you were not driving a Titanium Hybrid. I have yet to find any on a dealer lot, and I just finished several weeks of research, finally purchasing a Hybrid SE one week ago. Dealers have ordered them, but actual sightings are extremely rare. Not one of the 6 dealers I checked with could tell me when one would come in. Did the car you drove have the "EV" gauge on the left and the "leaves" on the right side of the speedometer? 23 MPG in the hybrid would indicate a fundamental problem with the car, or you were flooring the pedal at every opportunity. So far in the first 500 miles of commuting in the last 8 days, I have averaged over 42 MPG, and temps have been in the upper 20's to low 30's on my morning commute, and 40's - low 50's on the way home. I expect this to get better as the car breaks in and temps rise - the one 35 mile trip I took with temps near 60 averaged 49.2 MPG. I am thrilled with the car so far - the quality on mine is excellent, and with the 505a luxury package, My Ford Touch, sunroof, and a few other options I have everything I would want in the Titanium, but with the "dune" interior instead of black.
  • samadams1samadams1 Member Posts: 1
    I am very happy with my 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE. This is not my first hybrid and I think the reason this car is getting mixed comments about MPG is that it is SOOOO sensitive to how you drive it. Trying to get the MPG up by driving it more and more gently will not work. Around the city, if I am in a position where I can accelerate from a stop mostly with EV I get upper 40's. This doesn't happen often because there has to be nobody behind me. If I accelerate fairly rapidly to speed then back off and let the EV take over I get about 40MPG. This is typical. If I accelerate to speed slowly on the gas engine so the gas engine is almost always on I get low 30's. This is a big difference. I suspect that people who are not getting very good gas mileage is because they are trying to accelerate slowly keeping the gas engine on. As an example, to get out of my sub division I have to drive 1 mi with 5 turns. If I try to accelerate slowly the gas engine will never go off because I am not up to speed before the next turn. Look at your instaneous MPG while accelerating. MPG will be very bad. If I get up to 30MPH in the length of 2 or 3 houses then let the EV take over I am on EV most of the time and MPG is very good. There are 2 schools of thought on this. My wife drives it without paying attention to anything. This is OK it is what she wants and is happy. I view the advantages of slightly altering my driving for more MPG as using an available "tool" that is not available in non-hybrids.
    See this excellent review from Car & Driver Csaba Csere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SikJ3lC-lY

At 20:55 notice this graph which matches C&R 60 mph mpg:

40 mph: 56.9 mpg
    50 mph: 41.2 mpg? 49?
    60 mph: 41.2 mpg
    70 mph: 36.3 mpg
    80 mph: 30.1 mpg

I assume the number at 50 mph is a typo and should be 49 mpg but otherwise matches what I got with my test drive.

Fusion hybrid is further away from EPA at highway speeds than other hybrids and one comment I've seen is that at highway speeds the Fusion keeps going in and out of EV charge mode. That hurts highway mpg. So that's something Ford might be able to fix with software update.

Still as in the video mentioned it's still good mpg just not EPA ratings.
    I have Fusion SE hybrid on order and hope to get it in 1-2 months. Still could opt not to buy it but so far seems best for my needs.
    This is what I found too. I would say I do 85-90% highway driving, and found it does very poorly at 55 when it kicks in and out of EV. If I keep the pack at or above 75% charge, I can keep the instant at or above 40 like I do in my 2010, but when SOC drops below 60%, the instant plunges to low 20's. When I took an Interstate trip I was trying to do a lot of EV driving at or below 62 MPH and the MPG was no where near 40 let alone 47. What was really disappointing is the fact the 2010 FFH gets better MPG than the new Fusion does when driven the same way. The new one cannot be driven the same way with it kicking into EV all the time. The recharge from ICE sucks up more gas than if I just stay on ICE.
  • stan_amarillostan_amarillo Member Posts: 1
    How was your mileage on the trip to the Sierra?

Stan
    Between 36-39.
  • patcicpatcic Member Posts: 3
    I just got my FFH and have 300 miles on it. It's a base model built in early to mid January. I am coming out of a 2012 MKS, I am in sales and I drive about 25,000 miles per year. What a difference in ride! Very quiet, more comfortable seats and it handles road imperfections with ease, very muted. The MKS was harsh, noisy, hard seats - not refined at all but this FFH is amazing! I am getting 41 to 42 mpg in 50/50 mixed driving - very impressive and very satisfied! I agree - it's relaxing to drive.
  • sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    edited April 2013
    Got new Fusion Hybrid 2013 five days ago.
    For the first 200 miles my average lifetime mpg was slowly rising from 31 to 34 just city drive. Hoped for more...
    So I tested it on a trip, odometer is showing 200 miles.
    1. Indiana Interstate at 75 mph, not so many cars around, 60 miles: 34 mpg (trip mode)
    2. Nice empty highway at 60 mph cruise control, 40 miles: 42 mpg (4 miles in EV mode)
    3. Small city drive, with stops, lights, 25-45 mph):
    Distance: 43.9 mi (30.4 ev)
    Average: 47.1 mpg
    I guess one could get more than 50 mpg in city (I had 52 mpg for the first 15 miles), but you must learn how to get most mpgs out of it.

I have driven Prius 2006 in past, and I guess in city these two cars will be on par in terms of mpg, but Fusion is more fun to drive. On Interstate Prius would probably give me ~44 mpg in these conditions, i.e. much better than Fusion.
    It also looks like in city Fusion should be driven more aggressively for better MPG - you accelerate normally with engine on and then it switches engine off and cruises on electric only (engine is on only 25% of time). Fusion has more powerful electric motor and being purely electric is easy while cruising at city speeds, with Prius one had to let it slow down from 40 mph to keep elecric, Actually you do not have to think about EV with Fusion - just drive it normally and will be still in electric most of the time.
    With Prius I had to "coast" to keep EV only mode, slowly slowing down after accelerating ("pulsing"), Fusion, in contrast, can accelerate reasonably in EV mode without engine turning on.

Anyway, I did not expect to get the stated 47 mpg, but it will deliver 47 in city with ease. On the Interstate - I will wait to see if engine breaks in and numbers become better. In either case I like the car very much, most my driving is in the city anyway...

BTW: I drive Boxster myself, kind of a midlife crisis, Fusion is my wife's car - but I like it already as much as Boxster (for different reasons - I like hitech and paying engineers instead of oil companies).
    The line assist and adaptive cruise - these are super cool. Line assist actually managed to keep me on a road with my hand off the steering wheel, but after a while it beeped and wrote "keep you hands on steering wheel". The adaptive cruise control actually braked hard all by itself when a car in front braked hard. Very cool stuff. It might save my life some day when I am sleepy... Or my wife's life, even more important...
    Hi Sergeis, the mpg numbers sounds about right and most people get. Unfortunately 47 mpg highway is about impossible unless you drive about 55 mpg or you use hypermiling techniques (see my previous reply with table for mpg per mph from C&D).

I also really love the ride of Fusion. I'm fine with not getting 47 mpg highway. Overall mpg is still pretty good especially city.
    Something I found on the highway, get the battery charge up to 80% or more then above 65 MPH using the instant MPG screen with some practice you just might be able to get 47 at interstate speeds. As long as the ICE doesn't need to charge the battery pack, it does OK at speeds above 65.
  • dcarson777dcarson777 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my Ford Fusion Hybrid and despite the reports from Consumer Reports I am averaging 45 MPG combined City and Highway. I will admit though that I enabled the Eco-cruise and EV + features which I believe are disabled by default and I also drive between 55-60 on the highway to keep the EV mode enabled. On a number of trips I have hit 51 MPG. I am still on my first take of Gas and I am approaching 500 miles, the way you drive definitely dictates the MPG that you will get.
  • rick7250rick7250 Member Posts: 1
    I am an investigator looking into Ford's false claims or the 47 mpg on the 2013 Fusion Hybrid and the C-Max Hybrid. I am formulating potential clients in the San Francisco bay area for a class action lawsuit.

If you live in the bay area, have purchased one of the above mentioned vehicles and are not getting the gas mileage Ford has advertised please contact me. My email address is spyglass7250@hotmail.com.
    If you dont get at least 47 in the car, either there is something wrong with the car, like the one I had, its cold out, or you arent driving it right. Those in warmer weather and driving it right are getting and exceeding EPA.

Good luck with that, from what I have experienced with Ford, its not going to go very well.