Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord CVT Problems

Comments

• rossm1rossm1 Posts: 13
    I think Honda would be smart enough to change the cylinders that work every cycle

I have v6 2002, I wonder if anybody trade it in for new model and has some comparison

Thanks
  • I have the same car and it does the same thing every time I come to a complete stop. It sucks, so I try to put it on N if I need to make a complete stop or slow down quickly.
  • Regarding (2) issue on your post, I have Samsung Galaxy Nexus (pretty late Android model) and I have Pandora problems via Bluetooth:

1. Just like you've described, my phone and/or Honda iMID would not sync with each other.

2. When I turn off my car, sometimes Pandora app would be still running on my phone instead of turned off once the Bluetooth is disconnected.

3. Lastly, I can never seem to sync my phone directory to iMID

But other than these, I love the car.
  • fair2usfair2us Posts: 26
    I have only dealt with the Russell Honda team over the phone, and I have to say, my initial impression of them is a good one. I may have to give Russell Honda a try before it's all said and done, and I will post what transpires. I would like to give Orr Honda another try, though. Now don't get me wrong from what I wrote about my experiences so far with Orr Honda, I do like the crew that I have met there. Let’s face it, my frustration stems from Honda (the manufacturer) and this 2013 Accord LX's on and off again issue with the acceleration hesitation. It’s just sad. I also have a 1997 Accord EX and I absolutely love it. So the issues that I am experiencing with the 2013 are heartbreaking. Do you know what I mean? I hate the fact that I have found something wrong with this vehicle.
    I am happy that the manual owners seem not to have issues. As a repeat Honda owner, that makes me feel good about Honda's Accord lineup for 2013. No one wants to buy a brand new car and have some of the things that I have been reading happen to them.
    kkuhns, thank you for starting this thread, by the way. You have been a big help to all of us. I just hope my dealer's Honda repair shop will be as diligent and conscientious as your dealer was.
    Hey, trusso69, I don't know. Good question, but at least the dealership didn't just send me home without at least looking at something on the car like they did to me recently. I did check the ECO button after reading a post from a while back. Mine was turned off.
  • If you press the econ button with the A/C at coldest temp/highest fan speed. You can definitely tell a difference in the A/C. Also, from a dead stop a hard acceleration will be quite a bit different in econ mode.
  • 532532 Posts: 6
    Guys,

Any updates on CVT issues?

I'm about to buy EX CVT !!!! Should I NOT ?????
  • kkuhnskkuhns Posts: 8
    Yes, thanks for posting that. You mentioned before that there should be a TSB number, but I looked at my dealer receipt and they didn't include the TSB info anywhere. I never got around to calling them to ask for details.

I'm happy to report that the fix they applied (presumably this TSB you referenced) on my 2013 Accord LX has worked and I have not noticed the stuttering any more. So I think it is safe to proceed with purchases on this car.

And FWIW, I am happy with the MPG too. My overall MPG, from November 2012 through today, is 30 MPG, which is pretty good for winter driving. In good weather, I regularly get 36 MPG on the highway driving 70-75 MPH.
  • van123van123 Posts: 14
    I have 5052 miles on my EX and I have not noticed any issues with the CVT. I would not hesitate to purchase this car. Enjoy your Accord, I know I love mine.
  • 532532 Posts: 6
    Thanks guys.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    Buy the 6MT you won't have any problems. ;)
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,306
    edited March 2013
    Problem #2 is not a problem, It is how Pandora works. Everyone has to turn off Pandora on their cell. Just cutting the Bluetooth off does not kill off the app.

I am specifically talking about Samsung Galaxy Android phones.

Chris Skalski: Network Engineer 2012 Kia Optima EX

• Agreed. It is not a problem, whatsoever. You simply have to turn the app off on your phone, just like you would any other app. You simply hit "Quit" and you are good to go.

And, when you turn the car on, it loads and synchs up seamlessly. Very happy with it's performance, and I now have no use whatsoever for Sirius/XM, which I have been listening to for the past 8 years.

Also, the aha app synchs up seamlessly, as well, by adding the Honda Link app to your phone. Great song categories, news stations, podcasts, etc.

My phone is the Android Motorola Razr Maxx. :)
  • I have the I4 EX 6MT coupe. Honda has the absolutely most amazing standard transmission....the clutch shifter combo is silky smooth and extremely fun to drive......yes,,,,,even, in traffic!!! :D
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,915
    I'm confused here. why would the cylinders that were shut down wear out faster? How would that happen?

the pistons are still going up and down. The only thing not happening is combustion.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• Below are the issues I’ve experienced in my EX-L V6 No Nav sedan, in the 1000 miles driven to date. Any comments or suggestions for me?

1. At about 1700 RPM, the car hesitates or stutters. This happens at various speeds, both when accelerating and when de-accelerating. This happens whether or not the “Eco” button is engaged. This happens frequently because the car keeps going in and out of the RPM range during much of my driving on level surface streets.

2. The transmission has a noticeable vibration at roughly 1500-2000 rpms in most gears. The problem is inconsistent but observable on almost every vehicle trip I have taken.

3. Screechy Audio: The audio sound quality on occasion will be extremely poor, screechy and so distorted that speech cannot be understood. Changing channels within the same source, changing between sources (XM, FM, AM, CD), or turning audio off and back on does not fix the problem. Only shutting down the engine entirely and restarting it will cause normal audio sound quality to resume. The dealer told me it was an iPhone problem, but I do not have an iPhone, and this has happened even when a cell phone is not in the car at all. I have an Android but don’t always have it with me and seldom use Bluetooth.

4. Silent Audio: On several occasions (January 24, January 31, February 3), the audio is completely silent. This is in the same locations where the audio has functioned fine, so does not appear to be a “dead spot” issue. Changing channels, changing the source, or turning audio off and back on does not correct the issue. Only shutting off the engine completely and restarting it causes normal audio to resume.

5. When my Android phone is synched with the car via Bluetooth, there is no audio from the Google Navigation on my phone, even if I have not made or received any phone calls. The Google Navigation is still engaged; I just cannot hear the audio directions. This is a problem if I am driving alone because I want to hear the audio from Google Navigation when I am not using the phone, the same way I can hear the radio when I am not using the phone. It means that if I want Navigation audio (in order to get to my destination without having to pull over and look at the map), I have to disable Bluetooth and cannot use my phone through my car.

6. On Sirius/XM, on some of the channels (including channels 74, 75, 76) the display will not scroll to show the full information.

7. There is a noticeable smear on the LCD, which sits behind a clear plastic lens and cannot be cleaned.

8. Steering wheel on left side, where left hand rests, has irregular stitching.
  • rodutrodut Posts: 343
    edited March 2013
    Stickguy, yes, all the pistons keep going up and down at all times. But when VCM is enabled on V6 engines, in 3 cylinders there is fire (explosions, combustion, whatever you call it), and in the 3 disabled cylinders there is no fire. It's a relatively safe assumption that steel subject to fire heats way more than steel subject to nothing. The colder cylinders (disabled) will wear faster, because any engine is designed to work hot, not relatively-hot. The cylinder tolerances are optimized for the normal operating temperature, which is hot. At colder than that you get extra friction, which means wear. For instance the highest wear on an engine is at cold starts. This is common knowledge.

Choppedntubbed, I agree the manual transmission is a dream to drive. It beats me why they raised it to 6 speed (the 6th speed of the 6 speed gear box is exactly the same ratio as the former 5th speed of the 5 speed older gear box). Probably the marketing guys wanted to show off. Useless switching. 99.9% of us never go to racing, so the race style close ratios are useless.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,915
    that is not going to make the cylinder wear out quicker. Valves will get less wear too!.

Besides, the primary reason the engine needs to be hot is for combustion efficiency, and in the VCM cylinders, no combustion so no issues.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

I rewrote my post. Read it again. Yes, colder cylinders wear faster. The keyword is "friction". It's like sex. At cold there is a lot of friction. As things get heated up, the cylinder gets dilated, so the friction drops a lot (wider cylinder, and better lubrification). Less effort required, so lower gas consumption. Also less wear. I hope you got it now.

About the valves I agree with you. When disabled, they do nothing.
  • Rodut, thanks for your additional insight. I wasn't aware that the 6th speed of the 6 speed gear box is exactly the same ratio as the former 5th speed of the 5 speed older gear box.

Coincidentally, and without having the benefit of your insight, I have been skipping 5th and going from 4th to 6th, in view of no real appreciable difference from 4th to 5th. i guess I could just feel it. I, too, am in the 99.9% that never go racing, so while the close ratios are neat, they are lost on my driving style. :)
    Yes I wish 6th was taller. A short 6th does nothing to help acceleratiing. After all if you are racing and taching out in 5th you are over 120 mph is a taller 6th really going to be a problem?

I think part of the problem is cruise control. They don't want the car to seem weak by needing the occasional shift up steep hills, so they gear it so it won't need one.

While the ratio may be the same as the 8th gen, it is a little taller than my 7th gen - about 130 revs at 60 mph lower.

While I agree the transmission is very good, my 7th gen feel like it has about half the effort. 9th gen feels a little clunkier. Hopefully that is just because the 7th gen has 161k miles of breaking in.
    edited March 2013
    I agree. The 9th gen (year 2013) and the 8th gen (2008-2012) has identical ratios on the last gear (the 6th speed of the 6 speed gearbox, or the 5th speed of the 5 speed gearbox). Specifically at 100 Km/h (63mph) the engine stays at about 2,340 RPM.

But the previous generations (your 7th gen, and my 2001 so 6th generation) at 63mph ran at 2,500 RPM, so the last gear was a bit shorter. It's good they made the last ratio longer in 2008. It's a pity they didn't make it even longer in 2013 (especially after going through the trouble of switching to a 6 speed gearbox).

Obviously this discussion applies to manual transmissions only. Automatics have a longer last ratio (which is the only thing I like about automatics).
    Whoa!

My cars are nowhere near those numbers. The 7th gen is 2380 rpm at 60 mph and the 9th gen is 2250 rpm at 60 mph. Which would make them 2,975 and 2,813 rpm respectively at 75 mph.

I always use 60 mph (and most mags as well) for comparing rpm since at that speed revs per mile and revs per minute are the same. You could also just use revs per minute in top gear then it does not matter what speed you are talking about.

VW had an interesting solution to this in the 80's they called it 4 + E. 5th gear just said E and was a double overdrive. 4th was overdrive and 5th was a second overdrive. The car hit top speed in third gear (98 mph). It wasn't super tall like some cars, but for a 74 hp Quantum, 2100 rpm at 60 mph is about as relaxed as you want to go.

Anyway the thinking behind calling it E for economy was that then people wouldn't consider it a normal gear, just something for faster highway cruising. Would love it if the Accord had something like that. I would have been perfectly fine with the same 5 gears as the 7th or 8th gen and a real tall 6th gear. Another problem is the super tall gear would never be used in the EPA test (they might not even use 6th as it stands now) so while it would help a lot in real world mpg it would do nothing for the ratings.
    You are right. I fixed my previous post. It's correct now.
    I had screwed up the conversion Km/h to mph. Our numbers are proportional now. (100 Km/h is ~63 mph, not 75 mph !!!)

Here in Canada we use 100 Km/h. Canadians ...
    OK - that makes sense.

Had me going for a bit. Canadians get more MT models as is, not fair if they also get better gear ratios. :)
    LOL ! Funny !
    trainingwheels: Please contact Honda's Customer Care center about your experience with the 2013 Accord. I don't know if you have seen any of my previous posts, but I have been trying since November 2012 to get the Honda Corp. to acknowledge, whether they have a solution or not, that issues with this generation Accord need to be addressed. Especially the car hesitation or stuttering, which is an ongoing embarrassment for those forced to deal with it.

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    Honda Automobile Customer Service
    1919 Torrance Boulevard
    Mail Stop: 500 - 2N - 7A
    Torrance, CA 90501-2746
    By Phone: 1-800-999-1009
    By Fax (310) 783-3023 (24 Hours)

I know it takes time to write a letter or pick up the phone, but I can't type you in words how much other Honda Accord owners appreciate your effort.
    van123: Did you trade in your 2012 Camry SE? I am surprised to see that you chanced the 2013 Accord after reading your previous posts.