Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord CVT Problems

Comments

• rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    I rewrote my post. Read it again. Yes, colder cylinders wear faster. The keyword is "friction". It's like sex. At cold there is a lot of friction. As things get heated up, the cylinder gets dilated, so the friction drops a lot (wider cylinder, and better lubrification). Less effort required, so lower gas consumption. Also less wear. I hope you got it now.

About the valves I agree with you. When disabled, they do nothing.
  • choppedntubbedchoppedntubbed Member Posts: 39
    Rodut, thanks for your additional insight. I wasn't aware that the 6th speed of the 6 speed gear box is exactly the same ratio as the former 5th speed of the 5 speed older gear box.

Coincidentally, and without having the benefit of your insight, I have been skipping 5th and going from 4th to 6th, in view of no real appreciable difference from 4th to 5th. i guess I could just feel it. I, too, am in the 99.9% that never go racing, so while the close ratios are neat, they are lost on my driving style. :)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Yes I wish 6th was taller. A short 6th does nothing to help acceleratiing. After all if you are racing and taching out in 5th you are over 120 mph is a taller 6th really going to be a problem?

I think part of the problem is cruise control. They don't want the car to seem weak by needing the occasional shift up steep hills, so they gear it so it won't need one.

While the ratio may be the same as the 8th gen, it is a little taller than my 7th gen - about 130 revs at 60 mph lower.

While I agree the transmission is very good, my 7th gen feel like it has about half the effort. 9th gen feels a little clunkier. Hopefully that is just because the 7th gen has 161k miles of breaking in.
    edited March 2013
    I agree. The 9th gen (year 2013) and the 8th gen (2008-2012) has identical ratios on the last gear (the 6th speed of the 6 speed gearbox, or the 5th speed of the 5 speed gearbox). Specifically at 100 Km/h (63mph) the engine stays at about 2,340 RPM.

But the previous generations (your 7th gen, and my 2001 so 6th generation) at 63mph ran at 2,500 RPM, so the last gear was a bit shorter. It's good they made the last ratio longer in 2008. It's a pity they didn't make it even longer in 2013 (especially after going through the trouble of switching to a 6 speed gearbox).

Obviously this discussion applies to manual transmissions only. Automatics have a longer last ratio (which is the only thing I like about automatics).
    Whoa!

My cars are nowhere near those numbers. The 7th gen is 2380 rpm at 60 mph and the 9th gen is 2250 rpm at 60 mph. Which would make them 2,975 and 2,813 rpm respectively at 75 mph.

I always use 60 mph (and most mags as well) for comparing rpm since at that speed revs per mile and revs per minute are the same. You could also just use revs per minute in top gear then it does not matter what speed you are talking about.

VW had an interesting solution to this in the 80's they called it 4 + E. 5th gear just said E and was a double overdrive. 4th was overdrive and 5th was a second overdrive. The car hit top speed in third gear (98 mph). It wasn't super tall like some cars, but for a 74 hp Quantum, 2100 rpm at 60 mph is about as relaxed as you want to go.

Anyway the thinking behind calling it E for economy was that then people wouldn't consider it a normal gear, just something for faster highway cruising. Would love it if the Accord had something like that. I would have been perfectly fine with the same 5 gears as the 7th or 8th gen and a real tall 6th gear. Another problem is the super tall gear would never be used in the EPA test (they might not even use 6th as it stands now) so while it would help a lot in real world mpg it would do nothing for the ratings.
    You are right. I fixed my previous post. It's correct now.
    I had screwed up the conversion Km/h to mph. Our numbers are proportional now. (100 Km/h is ~63 mph, not 75 mph !!!)

Here in Canada we use 100 Km/h. Canadians ...
    OK - that makes sense.

Had me going for a bit. Canadians get more MT models as is, not fair if they also get better gear ratios. :)
    LOL ! Funny !
  • fair2usfair2us Member Posts: 26
    trainingwheels: Please contact Honda's Customer Care center about your experience with the 2013 Accord. I don't know if you have seen any of my previous posts, but I have been trying since November 2012 to get the Honda Corp. to acknowledge, whether they have a solution or not, that issues with this generation Accord need to be addressed. Especially the car hesitation or stuttering, which is an ongoing embarrassment for those forced to deal with it.

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    Honda Automobile Customer Service
    1919 Torrance Boulevard
    Mail Stop: 500 - 2N - 7A
    Torrance, CA 90501-2746
    By Phone: 1-800-999-1009
    By Fax (310) 783-3023 (24 Hours)

I know it takes time to write a letter or pick up the phone, but I can't type you in words how much other Honda Accord owners appreciate your effort.
    van123: Did you trade in your 2012 Camry SE? I am surprised to see that you chanced the 2013 Accord after reading your previous posts.
  • ar39ar39 Member Posts: 61
    There is a software update available at the dealer. Didnt you get a letter from Honda yet?
  • marcus216marcus216 Member Posts: 78
    I bought my Accord EXL v6 about a month ago and just hit 1,000 miles. I have not experienced your hesitation/stutter issues, nor any transmission issues, but I have experienced the radio distortion issue. It has happened to me about 6 or 7 times and the only way to cure it is to turn the car off and then on again. That "resets" the audio system and the distortion is gone. There is a new software update for the HondaLink. I just received a letter from Honda asking me to make an appointment with the dealer and get the update. I will do that next week. I hope this solves the occasional radio distortion issue. I also have had an occasional situation where the Sirius XM does not show the station names on the small screen. Again, turning the engine off and on again solves this. I am also hoping the new software update will solve this issue.
    The software update is supposed to solve those issues.
    In response to: "There is a software update available at the dealer. Didnt you get a letter from Honda yet?" Which issue are you referring to? The update is to fix what?
    Which issue are you referring to? The update is to fix which of the issues that I posted?
  • ar39ar39 Member Posts: 61
    The letter didnt specify fix for any problem in particular. But, the slow (buggy) navi menu is faster after the update. Also, music streaming from my cell phone via blutooth was intermitent and looks like the update fixed that as well. I experienced bad/noisy audio only once and cannot comment on that. Apart from the mentioned annoyances, my touring has been trouble free.

Hope this helps.
    Since I originally read you post, I started paying more attention to your experience of a hesitation around 1700 RPM. And I do experience the same thing and I believe it is the transmission downshifting. Now that I am paying attention, the transmission in this car does considerable downshifting and upshifting, especially around that RPM mark. If I am going about 40 mph and I let off the accelerator, the transmission will down shift as the car decelerates just a few MPH. I have no idea if this is related to the VCM or it is just how the transmission is programed. I feel it and can see the tach spike a bit. It does not annoy or bother me, but I don't remember any other automatic transmission cars that I have owned or driven downshifting so frequently with just a small deceleration. It is interesting. I have to take my Accord EXL V6 in for a HondaLink software update. i will speak to the service manager about the frequent downshifting.
  • daneeldaneel Member Posts: 19
    Marcus216, the 2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 comes with a 6-speed automatic transmission, NOT a CVT.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    blame the EPA. that is how Honda (and every other maker) gets the big MPG #s. it is a 6 speed that tries to get into 6th before you are off your driveway. SO at 1700 RPM it is essentially lugging, so lots of downshifting, plus you have the torque converter locking in and out.

the VCM just adds another little wrinkle.

Now, I have the same basic drivetrain in an RDX, and yeah, it often has to downshift around town, but I expect it and don't find it objectionable. Especially when I floor it and get slammed back into the seat!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• bluesocksbluesocks Member Posts: 3
    I got the Honda Accord V6 - 2013. This is my first Honda which I've heard very good things about!

I was offered a Honda Maintenance Program for about $900-1,000 upfront. This will allow me to get oil changes and my maintenance checks at 15, 30 and 45K at any Honda service location. Do you think this is worth it?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    not really. 15K is probably an oil change/rotation. Ditto for 30K, but throw in a brake fluid flush. 45K another OFL.

and most likely the plan only covers what the MM says, and that may not include the brake fluid.

figure at the deal (they have coupons!) max of $40 each for oil changes at 7,500 mile increments (ballpark) with rotations at every other (maybe $100 total). You get multi point inspections every oil change anyway.

overall, hard to see you paying nearly that much for the basic services the car will need.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

If you don't mind, let us know what your dealership says when you question the hesitation.
  • halreadshalreads Member Posts: 1
    Planning to by a Honda Accord EXL and got an offer of 24900 -- any idea how good this is
    Yes, I know the V6 comes with a 6 speed automatic transmission. I stated that I did not know whether the transmission frequent downshifting was related to the VCM,(vehicle cylinder management system), not the CVT.
    If it includes everything but tax and title, 24.9 is a very good price.
  • mvperez4jesusmvperez4jesus Member Posts: 231
    Hey guys, has anyone noticed water on the top edge of their break lights? I do get some on the top side, kind of likea line that seems to drain aafter a while. It doesn't get to the middle or anything. I contacted Honda and went to a dealership and the dealer said it was ok as long as it doesn't get inside the main lamp???

Also, I noticed a gap in the right side bumper area. If u look at it from the side and direct sunlight, u can see the black spacers. Meaning is not tight as the other side. Again, th dealer said is normal to have some gaps here and there as no car is perfect???

It isn't the end of the world, but it bothers me that Honda has the same culture of not honoring their warranties. That's why I don't believe in any type of warranty. Any suggestions ir anyone noticing these issues with their 2013 accords? Thanks in advance for your feedback on these 2 issues.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Been buying/leasing Hondas/Acuras since 1989 - some with hondacare extended service contracts - have never ever had a problem with Honda not covering something under warranty. My son even had some motor mounts replaced on an Accord under warranty even though his car was way past coverage.
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • billartbillart Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2013
    I've had my 2013 Accord EXL since Dec. 14 & dropped XM in favor of the free Aha radio. I'm beginning to think I made a mistake. Aha, even after the recent Honda software update & the Hondalink smartphone update, is incredibly unreliable & frustrating. The most I can get is maybe 10 minutes of uninterrupted music when I can connect at all, but then the signal is lost every 5 to 10 seconds. Sometimes trying another channel will help for a bit, then the same issue. Other times I'm unable to connect al all - I might be told to "stop & check my device," other times it'll just say "no data." Or I might be told the station has no content, when I just listened to it the prior day.
    I emailed Aha, & they told me I needed to work with Honda regarding the Hondalink app, but that was just updated. I've tried listening to Aha channels with headphones through the phone, & that works marginally better, but after a while the same issues arise.
    I have an HTC Thunderbolt phone on Verizon. The problems seem to occur whether or not I'm getting 4G.
    Anybody else have similar experiences and, more importantly, were you able to get them resolved?
    I think you are quite right regarding how the new modern transmissions are programmed to get the best gas mileage. The downshifting is not an issue with me. When I punch the accelerator, the car just bolts forward comparable to the 2010 Acura TL that I previously leased. While the Honda V6 does not handle like a TL, it is a very competent automobile. I am very happy with it, especially when I see what I paid for it. I looked at a comparably equipped 2013 Lexus ES 350 before I made my Honda purchase. That car was $12,000 more and was not an appreciable improvement in any area.
    Well, God bless you and i whish i had your luck when dealing w my local dealerships in nj. I will try my other dealer, but they are always trying to avoid to fix anything or duplicate problems. Same experience w other warranties. but it might be just me, but i personally avoid them as they are also big ticket $$$$ for me.

The issues i am having are annoying and i wish someone would comment on those and check ther break lights after a storm or car wash and let me know if that is normal on the top edge of the break light. Thanks for your input.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Have you considered going to the dealer after a storm and looking at others on the lot?
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Good idea - sometimes which dealer you work with makes all the difference. If you can, seek out a service advisor and/or service manager who demonstrates "good" people skills and a genuine willingness to resolve your issues (I know - not that easy - but they're out there). Good luck - I hope you get your concerns resolved - the new accords seem to be head and shoulders above others in their class.
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
    No, but good point, i will see. The technician i drove with, said he had a new accord and noticed the same thing and from their point of view as long as it doesn't get in the middle part is fine.
    Thanks, i love my car don't get me wrong. Is just that i think that after u pay for a new car, u would get outstanding service or at least like u said a genuine concern or attempt to resolve your issue. Will try another dealer for sure, thanks.
  • frank603frank603 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    First, I would like to thank you for all the work you did investigating this problem - hopefully it will save many other people a lot of time and heartache.
    I got my wife a 2013 Accord LX with CVT back at the end of February. She loves the car, however like you and others here, she is experiencing this stuttering with the transmission. After a little investigation I found all the information you entered here. So I called the dealer today to book her car in to get this sorted out (assuming that they would apply whatever update they applied to your car). The service manager told me that he never heard of any problems like this, and there are no TSBs for the 2013 Accord. Given the volume of Hondas that this dealer sells, I am forced to question his honesty/ability. Anyway, I'm going to call American Honda tomorrow to see if I can get any more joy from them.
    But in the meantime, I was wondering if you ever got any more information on what they did to your car to resolve the issue? I don't want to give you even more work, but you seem to be the only one here that has had this problem resolved, so it would certainly help the rest of us if you had any information that we could give our dealers.
    Many thanks for all your good work on this. I hope that you continue to enjoy your Accord.

Frank.
    KKUHNS: I am having issues with this on/off again stutter and would like more information. You stated Bob Rohrman Honda did a, "firmware update to the transmission software on the car." Do you mind checking your receipts and finding a fix number or something that I can refer to the next time that I speak with Honda?

You also said that your LX's, "stutter greatly diminished and all but disappeared." Do you still feel that way? Have you noticed any more issues? Another words, do you still think this "fix" is worth pursuing for those of us faced with this problem? I don't want to press Honda for something if this firmware update is still not the answer. You know what I mean?
    Hey Frank: Keep in touch with us, please. I am interested in what your dealership says, as well as American Honda. Something tells me Honda is trying hard to get their stories straight with the dealerships, just from my experience. I would recommend not contacting American Honda until after your dealer visit.
  • kkuhnskkuhns Member Posts: 8
    FWIW, I decided to sell my 2013 Accord LX and get something else. After 5 months, the car was getting good gas mileage (over 30 MPG overall, even after winter), good acceleration, good electronics and drivability. What didn't work for me was the seat, the road noise, and wind noise. My butt went numb after an hour in my commute - I couldn't get comfortable. The road and wind noise was worse than I expected. Maybe I had high expectations, but it just wasn't comfortable to me, though I'm sure it is comfortable and highly desirable to many others. I sold it for a good price and bought a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid, which has so far proven to be much more comfortable, quiet and great gas mileage. I'm signing off of this forum now. Best wishes to everyone else here.
    Curious about the Fusion hybrid mileage. According to consumer reports it is barely better than the I4 Accord. Fusion does handle well.
    kkuhns: You are the second person, that I know of, who ditched the 2013 Accord LX in less that 6 months. I don't blame you, and I hope you continue to enjoy your Fusion.

Dear Honda Corporation: You should be ashamed. Wake up!
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Sorry you didn't like yours. We are really loving our EX-L CVT. We find it extremely comfortable on trips, and surprisingly quiet (given my previous experience with Hondas). It's all subjective, but given the reviews and the responses from buyers in the first year, I'm not sure Honda has too much to worry about. :)
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Please take a few minutes to answer our survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums

It's really important for us to hear from our members and visitors to get direction going forward. Only good things are planned for the future, but we need to gather insights to get there! Whether it's your first time or you're a regular, we'd love to hear from you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• iugrad10iugrad10 Member Posts: 5
    The right rear tire on my 2013 accord LX CVT cracked on the inside shoulder last week. I took it to the bridgestone dealer as as expected it was termed to be a road hazard so no warranty coverage. It happened while the car was parked overnight in my garage, so I'm not sure if there was any damage earlier as I didn't hear any air leakage until after when I tried to fill air myself.

Has anyone here experienced problems with their firestone affinity tires that came on the 2013 accord LX CVT?
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Cracked? Or got cut? Big difference. If it is *cracked* already from use of probably that hard Chinese rubber, then is wty without a doubt. I have so many items ranging from vehicle tires to 2 wheel hand cart and wheel barrow tires to even rubber stoppers on stuff that all cracked prematurely. All Chinese rubber..How can you tell if you have Chinese rubber? Perhaps not exclusively, but certainly with many products is to just just smell the rubber. If it has an extra rubbery smell...it is probably from China...and I don't mean just manufactured there...I mean sourced there also..
  • iugrad10iugrad10 Member Posts: 5
    It is a crack, probably half an inch long on the chassis side of the tire. The OEM replacement tire is expensive and not available on the shelf, I ordered for $170 installed.
  • jsin1jsin1 Member Posts: 5
    Wow, nice to see I'm not the only one. I've had my 2013 Honda EX-L 4 Cyl Coupe less than a week, and I'm seriously underwhelmed by the audio. Sound quality from all sources is like an AM radio station, and the radio stations themselves are full of static. Soooo disappointing, and I'm not an audiophile.

Has anyone found any solutions? Even after-market? Can we install firmware updates ourselves or do we have to go to a dealer? Any help is appreciated!
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    It's actually quite a good audio system but the presets are terribly off. Bass is muted for some reason. You have to manually re-adjust them.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I received a letter from Honda alerting me to a software update for the Hondalink system. I took my car to the dealer this morning for the update. We will see if this solves the occasional distortion issue. I would say the issue would appear about 10% of the time I turned the system on. So I should know within a week or so whether the update solves the problem.
    I agree, the default settings are not the best. I have manually adjusted my settings and that has greatly improved the sound quality. It is a decent audio system, but it is also not a $40,000 car.
  • lucien4lucien4 Member Posts: 68
    This is comparing the Fusion hybrid with Accord. CR did get these numbers:

city/highway/combined:
    Accord LX: 21/40/30 mpg
    Fusion Hybrid: 35/41/39 mpg

So as expected big jump in city mpg and not so much in highway for a hybrid.