Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Suburban Stabilitrak Issues

slyder941slyder941 Member Posts: 3
Hello, I own a 07 Suburban 1500 LT 4x4. I was driving and the stabilitrak activated my abs brakes and reduced the power to the motor making the vehicle un-driveable. I limped into a big box auto store and they read the code for me before the tow truck arrived ** Code C0455 ** Steering Wheel Position Sensor. I just replaced this and the truck still does the same thing.
I then went through the DIC center and noticed that the tires were not registering any pressures. So I then proceeded to reprogram the tire position in the computer. This failed I tried 3x's to now have a failure in that system ** service tire monitoring system ** I figure this is because of to many failed attempts.
I read the OBDII codes and there are now in the computer.
It did read an B0110 but I think that was in the history of CEL's not entirely sure.
I also inspected the front speed sensors and the connectors are clean with no corrosion.
Brake fluid level is also fine, motor idles fine as well the reduced power is a safety feature not a symptom
Any I mean any helpful input would be great !!!!!
thanks
-Scott

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hi Scott,
    I checked my resources to see if I could come up with anything helpful for you as you troubleshoot this but as I am limited in technical information was unable to do so. If you decide to work with a dealership, let us know as we're available to assist in that process. Otherwise, I hope that you get some great feedback from the community and are able to get this resolved!

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • slyder941slyder941 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Sarah,

The vehicle was towed to the nearest dealership this afternoon as I was unable to diagnosis any further with out the equipment to read body chassis codes.

I hope so as well. I have seen that you also represent on the Chevorletforum.com and I have also posted my issue there with a ton of pictures. Same user name.

It is very frustrating to have read literally hundreds of similar posts with limited to varying results to resolve what seems to be a design issue across many GM platforms: Tahoe, Silverado, Suburban Envoy, Trailblazer. GMC sister models in addition to Cadillac sister model even Corvette was not immune which screams recall or at least a better TSB to resolve this issue.

I will definitely post the results of what the dealer reports back to me. The failed part, why it failed if they can identify that, the fix required and the over-all customer experience. I have been treated fairly by this dealer in the past. I just need to step back as currently my emotions have the best of me. I may have the wife talk with them until I am able to. I am not accustomed to requiring service on my vehicles as you may have noticed from my posts. I am not a mechanic but I have a very strong background in automotive repair.

Thanks for letting me vent Sarah and Edmunds I will keep everyone posted with a possible resolution to this issue.

-Scott
    Looking forward to an update, Scott, and my apologies that you are so frustrated right now! :(

If you wanted for us to follow up on this with the dealership, you can contact us directly at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, the name of your dealership, and a brief recap of the situation).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • sbarksbark Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 Suburban LT with over 120,000 miles. Because of my line of work, I spent quite a bit of time over the road. It started to snow last night and as I was heading home, the engine light was on and the compression to the engine seem to have disappeared while traveling 60 miles per hour. At first it was apparent that some vibration was taking place in the engine And the transmission seems to not have any power transferred while driving in drive gear. It was snowing and I didn't want to be stranded, So I drifted to nearest ramp And shifted the transmission to manual and was able to limp to nearest hotel and put the vehicle in reverse in order to park facing outward. Once I shifted to park the engine sounded like it was sputtering and about to shut down. I had to stay in the hotel overnight. Since this is a first for me, I want to know if the symptoms that I began to see in the vehicle could indicate what went wrong. Since the car is only 1 year old, I did not think that I would have problems with the battery charging but several times in the past few weeks I have seen the battery die and have to be charged. I recently bought a battery to back up this original battery, but have not installed as yet. The check engine light has been intermittent sometimes not coming on at all.. the message Control Panel indicates for the very first time, that there is a stability link traction control problem. I am glad for my sake that there was not a family in the vehicle with me due to the nature of my business, I can't have this occurrence again. Any assistance from the customer service side would be very helpful as we would like this resolved promptly if there is data that suggests that there is frequent product failure in this regard. Limping to a hotel in a snow storm for a problem that is well known to repeat itself with the data that you have collected so far, is of concern.
    We're glad to hear that you're okay after that incident, sbark, and are available to help work with you through the process of getting this checked into by your dealership (although as your vehicle is outside of warranty by mileage, we can't guarantee anything in regards to assisting with expense). Email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a brief summary of the situation).
  • carole12carole12 Member Posts: 2
    Same exact thing happened to us yesterday on the highway at 120 km per hr with our 2011 LTZ Suburban (120 000 km - highway mileage for work mostly). Side of the roads quite icy and not a great place to be with a young 3 year old aboard. Exit was close by, so made it barely, as the engine power was reduced and could barely go up to 40km per hr on the highway!! Stabilitrak and control traction system lights on as well as Engine light. Engine also sputtering as we parked. Will see the dealership tomorrow for a 3 rd time in 10 days...! (Sensor for gas pump at first - engine light on & engine sputtering, then Service suspension system light on with the air compressor not working as the wires under the gas tank were completely rotten. The cover over them had been cut off by a piece of metal rubbing on it - I guess was not assemble properly, and all the crap got in there ! And now this !!
  • calimomof3boyscalimomof3boys Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Suburan that we bought brand new. Have had to put in a new battery twice since purchased. Never really thought anything of it until. On Monday, same thing happened to me as many of the people posting. As I was exiting the fwy, lights came on that said I had no traction, the car sort of shook in the back and then the stability/traction light came on and then it said my car was reducing engine power. Luckily I was exiting the fwy. Pulled over, shut it off and waited about 15 minutes. I originally took the car to my personal mechanic who said the codes were leading to my wiring harness. He did not want to even touch the car and said I should take it to the dealer as this should be a recall issue. Dealer says they want to replace my exceleration pedal, my harness and get my fuel system cleaned up and throttle body cleaned up at the cost of $820. I dont mind paying for my car to be fixed, but from everything ive read, it is not solving the problem of the lights coming on and the car shutting down. I have asked a lot of questions and have come to believe this is an explosion of the electrical system. I am not a mechanic, but it seems as though Chevy has put a lot of bells and whistles on an electrical harness that is not big enough to handle the load. So when anything goes wrong with the car, the electrical system seems to be going haywire setting off the series of lights, and shutting the car down. We also put in an after market alarm that was professionally installed (tried to get one from the dealer, but they said they didn't have them). The dealer is saying that they need to disable my alarm in order for my lock light to shut off. That is going to cost me an additional $100. Sounds like they are just playing a guessing game because they really dont know what to do. Does anyone out there know how to research the wiring on the 2007's as opposed to the year before? I do not, but it seems like this should be addressed before we continue to pay thousands of dollars fixing our cars and have the same problems recur or have a bad accident. I have three young boys and we bought this car thinking it was the safest for them. What a joke!
    calimomof3boys,
    If you would like for us to check into this further with your dealership, we're happy to do so. Please send us the following information at socialmedia@gm.com so we can get a Service Request set up: your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation.

• jtdoubleejtdoublee Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem recently: can went out of stabilitrak without prompting from me. after reading hundreds of forum messages, I thought checking my electrical system might give me a hint. after I opened the hood, I noticed my fuse box cover was not secured properly. considering it is directly above the front left wheel well, It seemed to make sense that it might affect electrical problems.

it been 2 weeks now, including a significant amount of additional rain, and its been running great with no stabilitrak or electrical issues.

Summary: check how we'll the fuse box cover is situated. it's not a good design to get on and off correctly. make sure all 4 clips are secure and good luck.
  • keeciatkeeciat Member Posts: 2
    I have 2007 suburban.....lots of issues since we bought this. Oil consumption problem, many others and now traction/stability issues twice now! What steps can I do to get some where on this. I can't keep going into the shop and forking out money when nothing seems to be clearing up the problem. I understand I will have problems since we are getting up there in miles but this is absurd!
  • slyder941slyder941 Member Posts: 3
    Keeciat, It sounds like you have my truck. Honestly I don't say this lightly but factually, sell it. GM did nothing on the oil usage. It is a ring problem that they know failed and they won't fix it properly. The stabilitrac is also a known issue with no resolution from GM.

My truck was a money pit with all these issues and more service than a 07 should ever see.

Oil usage test was a complete waste of my time and money!!!!!
    I believe the oil usage was addressed in the 09 model and newer. I'm not sure about the stabilitrac issue though.

I can go on and on but the best decision I made was to trade it in. Sorry for the negativity but being all the issues I had, dealer & GM non-addressing of these issues and the anger I felt for fixing many issues on my own.

Again sell it, as you will see from hundreds of posts here & on many other forums there is no answer just tons of complaints, that speaks volumes as to the issues are not being addressed by GM nor are they being taken seriously
  • sgtducttapesgtducttape Member Posts: 1
    I have 2006 Suburban LT w/ 150k. I truly love my Suburban. I hate Stabilitrak. I Hate Stabilitrak. I HATE Stabilitrak. I have spent THOUSANDS trying to permanently resolve this recurring issue. I have had to have it towed several times as it comes on and applies the brakes and reduces throttle. Then it goes away for a while. I've replaced the steering column sensor, master booster, throttle body sensor, and it's on the side of the road again. It's been to the dealer, it's been to the dealer, don't come back with "I recommend you take it to the dealer" story. The dealer was completely worthless. When the Stabilitrak isn't interfering with my life I love my Suburban, I wish I could just rip out all that Stabilitrak crap. My Suburban is on the side of the road AGAIN!

I just paid off my 2011 Silverado Z71 and now I'm just terrified as to when it's Stabilicrap system is going to ruin my life. Did I mention that I hate Stabilitrak?
  • justiciajusticia Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a used 2007 Chevrolet Suburban from a person who works at Chevy, and he was really uncomfortable during the sale, and now I realize it was because he was well aware of the stabilitrak issues and he was feeling guilty about selling an innocent person a piece of junk for alot of money. I will be contacting headquarters, and if they don't assist me effectively, I will be filing a class action lawsuit against Chevrolet. It looks like there are enough of us to be successful in filing the lawsuit and winning, so if you are interested, please let me know. We cannot stand idly by when this type of stuff occurs.
  • kgreg62kgreg62 Member Posts: 1
    Justicia, I'm interested to know the status of your situation now. Did you have to file a suit? Bought a used 2007 Suburban and I have almost spent more on repairs than I have made in payments! Vehicle runs great until it gets warmed up. Then it kicks and backfires. Stabilizer light comes and goes during this time. Dealership and mechanic shops have combined to replace plugs, intake gasket, 2 catalytic converters, o2 censors, and said they found multi vacuum leaks which I paid for that labor. Both say they are at a loss as to why it continues to do this. This has been going on for 3 weeks now and during that time I have driven a whopping 82 miles without trouble. More time down than running!! Frustrating!
  • debbien1debbien1 Member Posts: 2
    My 2011 Suburban has had stabilitrak trouble 5 times in FIVE months! Happened AGAIN tonight! My car is UNRELIABLE, and I have 3 kids at home. I have spent nearly $3,000 on the problem. It used to only happen while I was stopped at al light, but tonight, it happened WHILE I was driving down a busy 2 lane road. I am so angry! I want to join any class action suit--GM needs needs to take this seriously!
    Debbie
  • debbien1debbien1 Member Posts: 2
    BTW, I feel RIPPED OFF by GM! I was considering not buying another, because they messed the new console and drink holders in the new models, but now I have BIGGER issues! I am going to contact 20/20 or 60 Minutes! Now I have to lose weight since I will be on TV:(
  • hasnogoatshasnogoats Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Chev Suburban. I am having the same problems with stabilitrak. I will never go to a Chev Dealership to investigate the problem. I will consult my auto mechanic today about this problem. I was put in a very dangerous situation while driving to the hospital yesterday. If it begins to look like something that cannot be diagnosed and repaired, I will utilize the usual channels to file a consumer complaint with the state that I live in. I will also contact one of the local TV Stations, and speak with the person that handles consumer complaints.
  • hasnogoatshasnogoats Member Posts: 2
    Justicia,
    Did you start a class action lawsuit?
  • shittychevyshittychevy Member Posts: 1
    Have been having similar issue with my 2012 Chevy Suburban LT 1500." Stabilitrack on/ traction on" poped up while driving on highway and all door suddenly unlocked and a lot of noise from the transmission and 5 seconds later back to normal. Please update me if you guys gonna file a law suit. Thanks
  • allstaryouthallstaryouth Member Posts: 2
    We love our 2007 Tahoe LTZ. Recently our camera stopped working, then stabilitrack warning came on. While driving about 50 a very hard shift or jolt of some kind happened. Power is very poor with a lot of knocking sounds. Oil pressure warnings to shut off engine. 

Had diagnosed.. So far these things have been done -Replace lifter, rebuilt valve heads, coolant temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, all sensor on engine, new plugs, coils tested fine. 

Im now being told it could be electrical. After I turn off ignition I hear an electrical buzzing sound. 

Suggestions? We've dumped a ton of money into this. I'm in ministry and my husband is needing surgery and we are praying it is an easy fix! We need a working vehicle ASAP. Thank you. 
  • allstaryouthallstaryouth Member Posts: 2
    Also A/C not working and closing hot air.  It's kicks really hard when shifting to second. 
  • jsst916jsst916 Member Posts: 2

I have a 2009 Chevy suburban. It seems to always have one issue or another. Today I was driving with my 3 children and my car started vibrating and making small ticking sounds. I received messages on my dash to service stabilitrak and traction control and my stabiltrak light came on. When I drove at faster speeds the vibrating and noise were minimal. As I slowed down and stopped it was much worse. Even in park in vibrated quite a bit more and made horrible noises. I’ve read several posts in your forums of many folks experiencing the same problems and no dealership or mechanic can seem to figure out how to fix it. Many people have paid thousands of dollars trying to solve this ordeal but do not have a good outcome. When is a recall going to happen? How can I be a help to myself and others and try to get a recall going on this? I’m beyond frustrated with this car and I want a solution. I will never buy a chevy again!!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    There isn't any one solution. In your case, it sounds like you have a misfire. This would cause vibration and also light up your dash. You need to plug in a good scanner and see what the ECM is telling you, for starters.

Many different maladies can trigger the Stabilitrak response. Another person's solution might have nothing to do with your car. That's what makes this tricky, and why you or someone you hire has to do a methodical diagnosis.
  • jsst916jsst916 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you! Now the suburban all of the sudden has no stabilitrak or traction control lights, warnings and engine is running normal-no vibrating and no noise but the new warning is low oil pressure. I’m frustrated. It’s seems as if the electrical is acting up. Have an appointment at GM dealership tomorrow for diagnostic.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Dr. Shiftright has you on the right track. Changing symptoms often are related to a weak or damaged battery not able to keep the voltage up to proper levels for various computers in the car. OR a bad ground(s) or bad positive connections.

Hope the dealer is able to find the problem for you.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• DatGuy808DatGuy808 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I went to take my daughter to school testing for kindergarten. I own an 07 sunuban LT 4x4. As soon as we got up the mountain where we supposed to go, the check engine light started flashing, the car started idling very rough, and it said to service my stabilitrack. Going into gear from 1st to 2nd it shifts very hard. In idle the engine sputters and literally shakes in the engine bay. And it also smokes and smells very rich! It said that my parking assist was off as well and I have not touched any of those buttons. Anyone ever got any good positive fixes on theirs???? Seems like a really crappy and costly problem and I am afraid to dig into this. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated. Aloha from HI!
    Keola
  • TammykTammyk Member Posts: 1
    First check mass air flow sensor before going to any mechanic. Seems it was not done in any of these post. For the people getting ripped off thousands with no solve to the issue at the dealerships im sorry this is happening to you. 
  • Large5Large5 Member Posts: 1
    I bought 2007 Chevy Tahoe last year. We have been experiencing stabilitrak air bag engine light shutting off while driving and engine power lose. We have replaced plugs cleaned throttle body and replaced pedal position senso. Any ideas
  • Has anyone started a suit against Chevy/GMC, regarding the stabilitrak issues? I have a 2012 Chevy Suburban 4x4 and my stabilitrak/traction lights just came on. I can’t afford to have a mechanic go on a ‘fishing trip’ on my vehicle... any answers?
  • MPBMPB Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2011 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 with 115,000 miles. Over the past year I’ve experienced sporadic episodes where I’ll be driving and suddenly the door locks start unlocking and locking as if the vehicle is possessed followed by a loss of power. I’ve pulled over and waited a few minutes, then turn the ignition key only to find the instrument panel to be completely lifeless, no lights illuminated. After another few minutes I’ll turn the key again and the car starts. I’ve read considerably on this, some say it’s the Body Control Module. Other suggested fixes involve tracing all the grounds on the vehicle to be sure they are attached. Still other suggestions target the electrical wiring that runs over or along the engine, suggesting that perhaps heat fatigue is implicated. This latent defect is very troublesome as I have no confidence in driving the vehicle with such uncertainty in its reliability. Is there anyone with similar complaints and has the etiology or cause of these problems been sufficiently identified, fixed, and what cost is involved to trace and fix? I welcome any input.
  • DeLargoDeLargo Member Posts: 1
    MPB - here is the NHTSA Complaint I filed Dec. 26, 2018- seems we are experiencing similar issues and I have just recently experienced the stabilitrak issues others have reported. I suggest everyone file complaints with NHTSA.

NHTSA Complaint Number: 11163558
    On three (3) separate occasions in the past year, the vehicle enters what appears to be an "Electrical System Reset" of sorts. This has occurred on long distance trips during operation at highway speeds. The entire electrical system will suddenly power off and on repeatedly, the electric door locks will unlock and relock, the engine will lose power (quite scary at highway speeds) and the vehicle must be removed from the road, powered down, let sit idle for 5-10 minutes and then can be restarted to a normal operating condition. It is almost as if the computer system is resetting itself while the vehicle is in operation and moving. This has happened three (3) times in the past year - all on long trips - March, July, and November. The most recent, instance occurred about three hours into a return trip home and recurred again about 1-1/2 hours later (10 minutes from home) during the same trip. By restarting/resetting the vehicle, I was able to get home. I took to Advanced Auto and the diagnostic came up negative - no codes, battery and startup all good. I have a large family and use this vehicle to transport them around town and for vacations and such. This is quite a dangerous situation when it occurs and I am afraid it may leave us stranded at some point in time, or worse.