Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Acura MDX

ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
edited December 2013 in Acura
Upcoming Detriot Auto Show 2014 MDX Prototype reveal, and since Santa is coming to town what would be your 2014 MDX wish list of new features, etc?

Jake
Tagged:

Comments

• 15maggie115maggie1 Member Posts: 7
    in comparing the MDX to the new Infiniti JX, here's what the JX has that the MDX doesn't that I'd like to see:

push button start and intelligent key
    cameras all around
    bigger 3rd row, and easier accessibility to the 3rd row (ie 2nd row slides forward to allow access and more space)
    touch screen navigation

part of me thinks we should just wait for the 2014 MDX and then compare the 2 then...
  • jimsinyjimsiny Member Posts: 5
    - HD Radio
    - Blu-ray Player for RES
    - NAV system that allows you to enter/change destinations while in Drive, if a passenger is in the front seat
    - No pink lenses on reverse lights
    - Larger 3rd row seats with easier access
    - 2014 RL style headlights
  • ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    edited January 2013
    The 2014 MDX Prototype revealed: see this link ( http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_vehicles/1301_2014_acura_mdx_prototype/- - ), and Acura's revised website ( http://www.acura.com/future/MDX#1 ) with many more details and photos to come.

Jake
    edited January 2013
    No interior photos yet, but I would like Acura to change the split center arm rest to a solid one piece like on the RDX or the RLX, as I find the MDX split center arm rest too uncomfortable while driving. Also, it would be nice for Acura to totally revise/modernize the center control stack on the dash to one large screen, instead of two small to intermediate sized screens, (with a few knobs or buttons, if necessary), like the Tesla Model S ( http://www.google.com/search?q=tesla+model+s+control+screen&hl=en&sa=X&tbo=u&tbm- - - =isch&source=univ&ei=AtL2UM3iHoP2igLDwYCQAQ&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1106&bih=864 ),or Model X 'floating' control screen (http://www.hybridcars.com/pre-production-tesla-model-x-features-updated-interior- / )or something like it, for greater visibility and ease of use. Another change/addition I would like to see would be adding auto-dimming/electro-chromatic side mirrors, which I consider an important safety feature when night driving.

Any other ideas, or comments on these?

Thanks.

Jake
    edited January 2013
    So far from early MDX chatter from Acura it appears that most of 15maggie1 and jimsiny's hoped for changes will occur on the new 2014 MDX.

Click on following link for some nice Hi RES pics of 2014 MDX Prototype:http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1081733_2014-acura-mdx-prototype-live-photos-- 2013-detroit-auto-show

Jake
    edited February 2013
    Although Acura has not yet posted any interior/dash pics of the 2014 MDX, they have posted interior pics of the new 2014 RLX ( http://www.acura.com/FutureVehiclesGallery.aspx?model=RLX&modelYear=2014#2014-rl- - - - - x-interior-with-advance-package-with-ebony-interior-full-dash-center-rear ) and 2013 RDX (http://www.acura.com/RDX/2013/Photos#2013-rdx-interior-with-technology-package-a- - - - - nd-parchment-interior-dashboard-details ) and we can take from those pics pretty much most of what the new MDX dash/interior will look like, since Acura's interior design/layout across it's upper platforms are nearly identical.

However, I hope Acura adds: 1) auto dimming/electrochromic side mirrors, and 2) a heated steering wheel to the Tech Pkg to the MDX, like BMW (X3 & X5) and Mercedes-Benz (M & GL Class) offer.

Jake
    As in the previous post, these are actually better interior shots of the 2014 RLX, but they will be virtually (with only minor mods) the same as the 2014 MDX (click through; there are several): http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-acura-rlx-first-drive/med/#photo-5643383

Jake
    edited March 2013
    As anticipated, and announced today by Honda/Acura, the production version of the all-new 3rd Gen 2014 MDX will be revealed at the NY Auto Show in just 9 days (Wednesday 3/27). For additional comments from Honda/Acura click on the press release of the following link:link title

Jake
  • jbaum86jbaum86 Member Posts: 15
    Looking forward to being there an seeing it.

My dealer is trying to push me into a 2013 MDX, they told me the 2014 is coming out until the fall. Sounds like I can buy a 2014 in May.
  • seaclusionseaclusion Member Posts: 22
    Anybody got any ideas for replacing tires. Michelins are Original but pricey.
    No surprises; virtually same as 2014 MDX Concept. Here are first look 2014 MDX (production version) pics; click on link:link title
  • qaliqali Member Posts: 60
    I dont know about 2009, but I had BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A on my 2005 which lasted 60k miles, quiet, decent handling and gave a great ride. Really good for long drives.
    edited March 2013
    2014 MDX---> A Winner!

And worth the wait!

Check out the following links:
    1.) link title
    2.) link title
    3.) link title

Jake
  • miss54321miss54321 Member Posts: 1
    I have 06 MDX and have been waiting to see if the 2014 MDX will have 3rd row AC vents...from all the pics I see online, I don't see any...any insight?
  • spartanincospartaninco Member Posts: 1
    Brother works for company supplying interior molded plastics so I have him spying at plant in AL. One USB port in dash. Power retractable mirrors on some trim levels but not sure which ones
  • asp_mdxownerasp_mdxowner Member Posts: 15
    2014 styling looks subdued. It look more wagonshish compared to 2013. again this is personal opinion and subjective.

Inside space will be more (bigger wheel base and increased length ). But biggest gain (if turns out real) is the fuel economy.

how will be the pricing , when we go to purchase one from dealer including all incentives, discounts etc added.
    edited May 2013
    2014 MDX's to hit a showroom near you soon---by July 4th, or sooner!

Check the link:link title

Jake
    edited May 2013
    Availability: July 4th or sooner; that is in 4-5 weeks!

For pricing, more pics and first drive reviews/impressions, check these links:
    1) link title 2) link title 3) link title

Youza!!!

Jake
    edited May 2013
    A couple more insightful 2014 MDX first drive reviews, plus an excellent video critique (first link).

Check these links: 1) link title 2) link title

Enjoy!

Jake
  • davidb18davidb18 Member Posts: 2
    Are the color schemes, both exterior and interior, available? Same as 2013 or changed?
    edited May 2013
    Colors for 2014 MDX, not many changes from 2013 MDX (why mess with success).

Exterior Colors: Crystal Black Pearl (2013 MDX), Fathom Blue Pearl (2013 ILX), Forrest Mist Metallic (New color; No info yet on FMM), Graphite Luster Metallic (2013 MDX), Dark Cherry Pearl (2013 MDX), Silver Moon (2013 RDX), White Diamond Pearl (2013 RDX)

Interior Colors: Same as 2013 MDX (Ebony, Graystone, Parchment), but discontinues Umber, and adds Eucalyptus (New color; No info yet)

Color Combinations:
    Crystal Black Pearl/Ebony
    Fathom Blue Pearl/Graystone
    Crystal Black Pearl/Parchment
    Forest Mist Metallic/Parchment
    Forest Mist Metallic/Eucalyptus
    Graphite Luster Metallic/Ebony
    Graphite Luster Metallic/Graystone
    Dark Cherry Pearl/Parchment
    Silver Moon/Ebony
    Silver Moon/Graystone
    White Diamond Pearl/Eucalyptus
    White Diamond Pearl/Parchment

Refer to previous posts showing pics of some of these 2014 MDX Ext/Int colors (esp. silver, cherry, and graphite), and to following link for additional review and extensive graphite pic examples (link title ); also, refer to the Acura website to see Fathom Blue Pearl on the ILX ( link title ), and Silver Moon and White Diamond Pearl on the 2013 RDX ( link title).

Not all 2014 MDX options (FWD) and colors (FMM) will be available for first 3-6 mos of build.

Happy hunting!

Jake
    edited June 2013
    I found the following four vidoes about the 2014 MDX helpful, and if you haven't seen them yet you may find them helpful if you are considering purchasing a 2013 vs 2014 MDX, or one of the MDX's competitors: Infiniti JX/QX60/QX60h, Lexus RX 350/450h, Volvo XC90, BMW X5, Buick Enclave, Audi Q7.
    Videos 1-3 describe the differences between the 2013 vs the 2014 MDX and 2014 MDX features, and the design/engineering goals by the 2014 MDX program manager/chief engineer. These are very interesting and informative, but you may need to turn up the audio on your computer/tablet, esp. for vid #2 and vid #3. Check them out: vid #1 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RDPI0218cw ); vid #2 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5qSmvS967o ); vid #3 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNH8X08IP0s ).

Video #4 is excellent and unbiased, esp. in comparing the 2014 MDX with the competition from Infiniti, Lexus, Volvo, BMW, Buick and Audi. It's also great at giving a tutorial on using the initially complex 2014 MDX Nav/Infotainment system of dual monitors on the center stack. Vid #4 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX1ebP8yeF4 ).

While many attractive options will be offered on the 2014 MDX, reportedly a heated streering wheel option will be available on all trims as a dealer only installed option. Some may find this a nice addition, esp. on cold winter days.

Jake
    edited June 2013
    Check updated Acura website for all the details, here ( http://www.acura.com/ModelLanding.aspx?model=MDX), including new colors, trim level features, pricing, options and accessories.

There is a hefty/pricey bump in MSRP when going from Tech Pkg (TP) to Advance Pkg (AP) of $8K, and while it is true there are several features that the AP offers over the TP, most buyers will go for the TP. Two features that I like on the AP (but don't want to spend $8K to get them) are the Rear Back-up Sensors, and the Remote Engine Start System; these are available as accessories on lower trim levels for $526 and $399 respectively (excluding installation fee).

Another option I'm considering is the heated steering wheel accessory, although it seems somewhat pricey ($500, avail. on all trims, excluding installation).

Another safety/security feature that is currently available on many MDX competitors (Infinity JX/QX60, BMW X3/X5, Audi Q5/Q7, and M-B ML/GL) and reportedly will be available on the 2014 MDX, but (at least initially) only those MDX's sold in Canada (check third from last paragraph of this Canadian review: link title ) is the Surround View Camera System (SVCS). SVCS gives a bird's-eye top down view of the vehicle and it's immediate surrounding and can be very helpful in close quarters parking. Take a look at this BMW Top View video on You Tube: link title . This feature could also be a great security tool when linked to your iPhone in checking the area around your MDX at night for any bad guys nearby before or as you approach your MDX. Why is SVCS only available in Canada at this time? Test marketing? This safety/security feature should be offered as an accessory option on all trims!

Happy hunting!

Jake
    Refer to posts #'s 12890 and 12891 (in the MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience Forum) for info and discussion about pros/cons of Tech vs Adv Pkgs and an iPad4 alternative to the 2014 MDX 16.2" entertainment display.

Jake
    edited June 2013
    Check this link (link title ) for additional commentary/perspective on the new tech features the 2014 MDX brings to the table, and whether these MDX changes motivate you to get the new MDX vs the 2013 MDX or an MDX competitor.

Jake
  • packaging propackaging pro Member Posts: 32
    I went to an Acura Dealer in South Florida today. They had 8 different varieties of 2014 MDX's. I wanted to see the new green color as well as the Eucholyptus Interior which they did not have. I told the sales hole what I wanted. I was told they did not have the money factors or residuals and a Manager would call me back. Low and behold I received a call 3 hours later.

I was quoted $519.00 per month for a 10K, 36 month Lease. They wanted $2,700 + first month and inception fees. The vehicle was a 2WD Tech and the sticker was $48,000. I laughed at him and asked for the details on residuals and money factors. I was told they could not provide mw with that.

I still liked the vehicle. I will keep trying!
    edited June 2013
    If you want to get some MDX features (SVCS) you will need to drive north to Canada and pay a hefty price differential ( link title ) and buy the Elite Package, or wait 1-2 years when I predict SVCS will be available at US Acura dealers.

OR, go to your local Infiniti JX35/QX60 dealer and check out the Around View Monitor system and the JX35/QX60 up close and personal. Check this link: link title and this: http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/avm.html

Jake
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The 2014 Acura MDX will arrive in showrooms on Thursday, a few weeks earlier than originally expected.

American Honda did not explain the reason for the early launch of the 2014 MDX, but the automaker is clearly ready to see its redesigned crossover do battle with such competitors as the 2013 Buick Enclave and 2013 BMW X5."

2014 Acura MDX On-Sale Tomorrow
  • pete2815pete2815 Member Posts: 20
    Received email from Acura yesterday which stated that they are available so stopped by local dealer tonight. They received 6 and sold 3 already. They have 1 FWD. Does anyone know what this forest mist green resembles? Will go by dealer Monday to drive one. I am still driving my '07 MDX which replaced the '04 which replaced the '01 that my son-in-law is still driving.
    edited June 2013
    For colors and other stuff go to Acura's website (click on next to last color box for Forrest Mist Metallic = charcoal green?): link title

Jake
    Charcoal green sounds nice; thought it might be a dark grayish-green as in mist. I went to the Acura site but the examples arent't very good. My MDX is Dark Cherry and the site rendition is a shade or so lighter than it really is
  • thejaquesthejaques Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Canada and made an advance purchase on a Navi package (different configurations here) with black exterior and parchment. I prefer the greystone interior since it is more neutral but that only comes on Blue exterior for some reason in Canada. I'm wondering if anyone has seen the parchment interior in person. My fear is that it is quite yellow and that there's a whole lot of it throughout the vehicle. Some of the pictures I see online make it look a bit muted (which I want) and others make it quite vibrant - such as the ones on the build and price applet.

Look forward to hearing your impressions.
  • theadmiraltheadmiral Member Posts: 4
    I really want the ventilated seats but I don't need the entertainment system. Can I get a Tech package with the vent seats as an add on?
    edited July 2013
    Hopefully, when the Surround View Camera System is available in MDXs at US Acura dealers in 6-18 months (currently only available on 2014 MDXs at Canadian Acura dealers), it will include a surveillance mode like Ford just announced it will put on new Ford police cars (check following video) (link title), but has obvious civilian applications and security benefits, and also be able to be activated by and viewed on your smart phone as you approach your parked MDX (especially on a dark nite).
    Hey Acura, when will you make this happen?
    Jake
  • lcw1lcw1 Member Posts: 36
    Maybe so but why Accura did not bother adding Lumbar support to the passenger seat. That was a killer for me since I plan to use it for long trips and my wife won't come near a car without it. Even a manual one would have been sufficient.
    edited July 2013
    Hey lcw1, if a third row is not essential in your new vehicle decision, you might consider the newly refreshed 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (JGC) AWD, which does have the power lumbar seat adjustments for both the driver and front passenger in the upper trim levels (LTD, Overland & Summit). I like the new 2014 MDX AWD alot, and have test driven the 2014 MDX AWD and JGC AWD (V-6 gas and V-8) and find the on-road manners of the JGC quite good and compares quite favorably to the MDX. The JGC has the added advantage over the MDX of much better towing/hauling, and much better mild to moderate off-road capabilities than the MDX, if those are things you are interested in. Check out the following two excellent video and print reviews by Alex Dykes about both vehicles: For 2014 JGC video review click on this link (link title); For 2014 MDX video review click on this link ( link title ). If better fuel efficiency is important to you the 2014 JGC will add a 6 cyl diesel (in Q4/2013) which reportedly will get 28-32 MPG (which is very impressive for a 5,000 lb vehicle), according to the automotive press reviews; the extra initial cost of the diesel engine will be paid for by the fuel efficiency/savings in 2-3 years.(@ 15,000 miles/yr). Good luck!

Jake
    lcw1, if 2014 JGC AWD won't work because it has only 2 rows, consider JGC's cousin the newly revised 2014 Dodge Durango R/T or Citadel AWD (which have 3 rows), have power lumbar adjustment for both driver and front passenger on upper trim levels, and will be available w/ same diesel power plant & 8-spd AT in Q4/2013 or Q1/2014.

Jake
  • krimkrim Member Posts: 6
    The review said the seat positioninag system was very limited. (Front seats offer limited adjustability) I guess 8-way seat adjustment - plus lumbar is 10 - isn't enough? To quote Acura: The driver enjoys a 10-way adjustable power seat, including a power lumbar support.
    The front passenger is given similar consideration with an 8-way power adjustable seat.
    I think your otherwise fine review needs editing.
    edited August 2013
    Although Consumer Reports still recommends the 2014 MDX in their just released review (check link:link title ), they were not exactly enthusiastic in their assessment and downgraded the 2014 MDX Tech with a 79 rating vs an 85 rating for the 2013 MDX. This may affect sales in the months ahead.

Do you all agree with CR?

Jake
    Just traded in my 2007 MDX for the 2014 with a tech package. The 2014 is very quiet and more comfortable. It adds safety features as well. CR may have down rated it because of the complexity of simple operations related to its dual screens such as with the stereo system. It is not for quality of build.
    edited August 2013
    Pete, have you found the dual screen control center/stereo on your 2014 MDX annoying or unusually complex or user unfriendly, compared to your 2007? Learning curve to get comfortable with it? The new dual screen set-up on the 2014 MDX looks very similar to the layout and functionality of the dual screen center stack on the newly redesigned 2014 Infiniti Q50.

Jake
  • baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    edited September 2013
    Hi everyone, I currently have a 2010 GMC Acadia and my husband drives a 2008 MDX. We're considering a new 2014 MDX or RDX to replace to Acadia. With my carpooling days over, it feels like I'm driving a bus around. However, the Acadia is a great asset when we are moving our son to college and on family vacations. Plus, we'll have another child to move to college in 2 years. My idea was to downsize the Acadia to an RDX and keep the MDX but our MDX doesn't hold nearly the amount of cargo as the Acadia. The other alternative would be to get a new MDX instead of the Acadia, however, comparing the dimensions on each vehicle, the '14 MDX is still almost 7 inches shorter in length than the Acadia. It is only 2 inches longer than the previous generation.

Those of you who have the 2014 MDX, have you done any family vacations or college move-ins with this vehicle and what is your experience with the cargo volume?
    Traded in my 2007 MDX for the 2014 MDX. Don't think there is any significant increase in room for storage. It is quieter & more comfortable but there is a steep learning curve in the 2014's controls that has me missing my 2007. Also, the 2007 sport suspension was tighter. The 2014 is getting better gas mileage. FWIW we used the Odyssey to transport our children to & from college and traded it for a CrV when we downsized. The RDX is nice but my wife won't part with her CrV.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    You should consider renting a minivan or an SUV for the couple of days that you will need a bigger car. No need to drag big wheels around when you don't need them for 99% of the time. :)
  • bulldogdiverbulldogdiver Member Posts: 8
    My short 85 year old mother had a wreck yesterday and we are car shopping. I am interested in a vehicle that is low enough that she won't have to climb up to get in but is higher than a regular sedan so that she won't have to pull herself up to get out. What is the height of the driver's seat from roadway in the 2014 MDX?
  • seaclusionseaclusion Member Posts: 22
    I own an MDX 2009 and I am 6' 5". Suggest an RDX which is a smaller vehicle but easier to get into it.
    edited September 2013
    Also, you might consider the following: 2014 Subaru Forester, 2014 Subaru Outback (or wait for complete re-do of 2015 Outback which will probably be avail. as an early release in ~ 6 mos), 2014 Ford Escape, 2014 Toyota Venza, 2014 Audi Allroad, 2014 Volvo XC60, 2013 or 2014 RDX, 2014 Audi Q5, 2014 Honda CRV, 2014 Toyota RAV4.

Safest of above and probably most value for dollar = Forester, Escape, CRV; for more lux = Allroad, Q5; lux + safety = XC60; lux + safety + value = RDX.

2014 MDX dual screens (too complex, steep learning curve) and size of vehicle (too large), probably inappropriate for a petite 85 yo grandmother.

For additional info and ratings, check out the following links: Consumer Reports (www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/suvs/ratings-reliability/ratings-over- - view ), and US News and World Reort Auto/SUV/CUV Ratings ( http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/suvs/ ).

Jake
  • jsdtxjsdtx Member Posts: 11
    I drive a 2013 Accord EXL and that car is tops in safety features. We also have a 2009 MDX that has been an excellent car. We were interested in trading the MDX on a 2014 AWD base model but when we found out: (1) No Lane change assist, (2) No backup beeping system, (3) No front collision warning, we are going to wait for the Highlander.

How can a company built on safety force us to buy the technology model for 6-8K more when we think your navigation system is worse than a $200 garmin. The Honda 2013 Accord for mid 20s is better equipped safety wise than the $44K MDX. We wont buy another Acura until they bring the safety anti collision features into the base. Shame on you Honda for doing this to your elite line. Embarrassing. Lexus will pass you buy quickly on this one. I agree with consumer reports.