Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Valve cover gasket?

kdon1124kdon1124 Member Posts: 7
Hi all, Im new here but i have a question. I own a 1993 Subaru Impreza L sedan. I was recently changing the timing belt and noticed my driver side valve cover has oil and gunk all over it. I feel that the cause is that the valve cover gasket has kicked the bucket but could it be anything different?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That and check that the PCV is working, venting air properly.
  • kdon1124kdon1124 Member Posts: 7
    thank you! also how should i check to see if the PCV is working properly. Is it something i can just put my hand by? Im new to cars so im still figuring out the boxer engine as well.
    It is a cheap part so I'd just replace the PCV when you change the valve cover gasket.
    Ok thank you very much!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    And by cheap, he means like $5 cheap, so it really is something to simply replace periodically. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    haha perfect! I just bought the parts today, the PCV valve was only 3.99 and gasket was 29.99, not to shabby! thanks for all the help!
    Glad you sprung for the extra $4! :D
    Hi again, so i replaced the gaskets and PCV valve and you guys where right! it wasnt too bad at all, took me a total of 6 hours but i took my time and also replaced brakes and had a nice dinner break! But im wondering, i looked at the covers today and theres still a small amount of oil coming from my driver side cover on the top. Its the same side that had a oil soaked cover before. Did i maybe not seal it properly or is it something else?

thanks!
    Both surfaces were clean and level?

This is beyond my expertise but I wonder if some of that sealant goo specifically meant for gaskets would help in this case?
    thanks! ill take a look and make sure its level and i was sure to clean the mating surfaces before but ill look into the sealant stuff as well.

thank you
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    Making sure it is clean (no oil at all) by using a solvent cleaner, then allowing it to dry, is important for sure. Another thing is making sure you torque the bolts carefully and evenly. I always use ultra blue gasket sealer in addition to the rubber gaskets, and put a thin layer on each side of the mating surface with the gasket in the middle.

I hope you don't have to redo it, but best of luck to you as you sort it out. It sounds like you made good on your first attempt. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    My guess is that the bolts are not torqued enough. It only recommended 4ft-lb and i very loosely tightened it. im hoping i dont have to do it again either but thank you very much!