Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru XV Crosstrek

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Talk about the XV Crosstrek here!

Comments

• lostlost Member Posts: 64
    I am very interested in this vehicle. Anybody have any first hand experience with the CVT transmission.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I was test driving cars with my sister. She wanted to try a CX5, so we drove that, then a Mazda 3s 5EAT. After that we went to the Subaru dealer and drove a CVT Impreza sedan.

I liked the Impreza the most out of those. The CX5 is underpowered, the Mazda3 was tight inside and had visibility issues.

The Impreza's back seat was roomier then even the CX5! Fold the rear seats in those and they hit the fronts. You have to slide the front seat forward to fold the back seats down.

I like the CVT, too, didn't bother me at all the way it bothers some.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Anybody have any first hand experience with the CVT transmission.

Love the CVT in my lowered XV Crosstrek Ltd (aka '12 Impreza Sport Ltd).
  • krellu7421krellu7421 Member Posts: 8
    the 2014 cx-5 on most of the line has a new 2.5 liter 185hp engine and an added safety feature.it is available now.
    That's good news, but they're not in dealers yet. Fitz has 40 in stock but not a single 2014.

When are they supposed to hit the streets?

That engine was badly needed, IMHO.
  • krellu7421krellu7421 Member Posts: 8
    They are available at Wayne Mazda(about 15-20 in stock,2014's) in NJ and Schwartz Mazda also in NJ.
    I am in NY and I spoke to a dealer a few days ago they call back next week
    and by then should have more info.and possibly some cars.
    Cool, the EPA also added them to the fueleconomy.gov web site.

Looks like the 2.5l AWD model gets the same highway mpg and only loses 1 mpg in the city.

Easily the better choice, in fact I wonder if they should drop the 2.0l, at least with the automatic.

During our test drive, we floored it and got noise with little/no results. To be fair it was a heavily loaded AWD automatic, but it felt sluggish.

The Impreza sedan 2.0i was not what I'd call fast, but definitely better.
  • dkamholzdkamholz Member Posts: 2
    That's all great, but what do you think about the Crosstrek.
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    What are you looking to know, I've owned mine for 5mos now?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    it should be a winner in my book. We have the 2012 Impreza hatch, with CVT. It's a bit too low for the type of work I do, so I've been anticipating trading my aging Forester (2003 with 167k) in for the XV.

I might have made the deal already, but the dealer can't seem to come up with an XV that has just Popular Package #1. It seems like they get many with that option, but then all the cars get upgraded to the HomeLink mirror option at the port. The auto-dimming mirror w/compass that is part of the popular package gets tossed and they tack on $280 for the Homelink mirror.

I can't say I was impressed with the recent Edmund's review. I didn't like the way they said handling was "soft" and it "dived" and rolled. Hmmm.

John
    Been 2 weeks now, what is that you would like to know???
    Over 3 months with no action on this site, then you made a posting wanting to know more detailed info than what was given, well, what exactly it is that you want to know or were you just trying to make a sarcastic point???
  • xian5681xian5681 Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2013
    Hello,

I'm looking to purchase the limited but can't find any prices paid on this forum. Anyone willing to post?

Also does anyone know when 2014s are coming out? I hear there's a hybrid!

Thanks in advance.
    not sure how helpful this is, but I had a quote for $22,800 (Limited, CVT, Popular Package 2). I didn't negotiate on it, because it wasn't the car I was looking for.

There is some discussion about the Hybrid on the Subaru future models thread...along with some links that give more info. The hybrid doesn't really up the ante much at all regarding mileage, it seems to be the beginning attempt for Subaru to get into the market. At this point, the MPG numbers are not looking like they have succeeded.

John
    not sure how helpful this is, but I had a quote for $22,800 (Limited, CVT, Popular Package 2). I didn't negotiate on it, because it wasn't the car I was looking for.

Are you sure that was the price? That is $1600 below invoice.
    Thank you for all the feedback!

I'm really tryin to walk into this with all the negotiating power I can.
    edited June 2013
    well....here are the emails, in case you interpret it differently:

Currently on the lot in the All-New Crosstrek’s I have 2 models that sound real close to what you are looking for. I have a White and a Khaki Crosstrek here with only the CVT option 1 package.

The white one has the following accessories; All-Weather Mats, Auto-Dim Mirror with Compass and Homelink, Rear Seat Protectors, Splash Guards and the rear bumper cover. The Khaki has the following accessories; All-Weather Mats, Auto Dim Mirror with Compass and Homelink, Splash Guards and the rear Bumper Cover.

Would you consider either of these 2 models even though they have the mirror you don’t want? If so, which color would you prefer more? I can make you a deal on either one just let me know which one you like more.

If you would like you can wait but it’s very tough to find a Crosstrek with that Auto-Dim Mirror and Homelink. I can order a Crosstrek for you if you would like because this may be the only way to avoid having a Crosstrek without that mirror. For example the Mirror is $284. On the White Crosstrek I had mentioned, I can sell it to you for $22,812 and the Khaki one for $22,772+Ca Sales Tax and DMV Fee’s. Without the mirror the difference is small and it’s my job to point that out but more importantly maybe the Auto Dimming function you can get some use out of. I’m not sure if your Impreza had it but it automatically dims the rearview mirror at night so that the car behind you doesn’t blind you with their headlights. And it’s the only way to get a compass in the Crosstrek.

Hopefully this helps but if not would you like me to order you one?

John
    Why dealer is this? I'm in SoCal and may jump on this as well.
    Lithia Subaru in Fresno. If you get on their website, there will very soon be a floating pop up screen with an associate wanting to talk with you. But I'd suggest going through their inventory first and if they have something you want, then start a conversation.

John
    Thanks for posting. The pricing seems more in line with the Premium model. I see no mention of trim (Premium or Limited) so maybe they are quoting prices for a Premium instead of a Limited?
    yes, premium. I got them backwards. Intuitively, a premium should be the premium. But it is really the "base" with a name upgrade :-(

And limited, seems like it should have limited equipment, but instead it gets unlimited equipment. Sheesh.

John
    Been a month now dkamholz, still waiting to hear from you about what you'd like to know about the Crosstrek???
  • hornmakerhornmaker Member Posts: 4
    Here is some real world MPG info

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/xv%20crosstrek
    Couple of 400mi trips, losing 45-60mins in NY/CT stop & go traffic, driving anywhere from 70-75 when not stuck in traffic, still managed 32mpgs both times. I'm sure if I kept it under 70, didn't hit any traffic, I would've beat the 33hwy EPA number! Still had 1/4 tank left after 400mi, easily has a 450mi range.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1085467_subaru-swamped-by-demand-for-xv-cros- strek-in-u-s-hybrids-in-japan

I've been asking for something like this for years. This what the Outback Sport should have been all along.

Bob
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    I'm not surprised at all. It's a better looking, more functional Impreza. What's not to like about it?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    Been cherry picking left over 2013s. Had a price for a LTD CVT with no additional packages of $23,600, which I thought was pretty good. Anyone with a CVT tried it out in mountains? Curious if the CVT is annoying there?
    edited July 2013
    It's a better looking, more functional Impreza.

My Impreza Sport Ltd. is offended. She's not short & fat, she's full figured. :P
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yeah, I drove one recently in some hilly areas. If you use the paddle shifters, it's not too bad, but I'm used to driving a WRX. ;) It's a fun to drive car.

Personally, I'd wait for the '14 model, only because Aha audio will be available. Aha only comes with Nav. If you don't want navigation, then go for the '13 model.

FYI: Aha is already available on the '14 Forester and '13 Legacy/Outback w/nav. If your curious as to what it offers and how it works, check out those models. Could google it too. Aha will be available on '14 Crosstrek and Impreza models.

Bob
    for a potential Crosstrek buyer, I'm glad and sad to read that.

The sad part means likely no deals on pricing for a while ;).

I am hoping for a surprise on the hybrid MPG numbers.

John
    350mi of mixed suburban/hwy driving = 29.6mpg That's better than the highway mileage I got on my old 2010 Escape!!!!
    yup...our 2012 Impreza/CVT with 26k miles on it gets an average of about 32 mpg in mixed, mostly country, driving. Have seen it as high as 37-8 on moderate speed, continuous freeway driving.

Watch for it to plunge in the winter though, it loses about 2-3 mpg on the winter gas and cold weather.

John
    edited July 2013
    Bought a Limited with Popular Option Package 1 including dealer fee for $23,800 last week. Promptly loaded it up with three people and stuff and took it on a 2-hour drive into the Rocky Mountains to Vail. A few impressions:

- Impressed by the room and the interior in general. Never felt cramped.
    - It rode smoothly, through bumps and construction and at speeds up to 75 mph. Always felt surefooted.
    - That said, the CVT on a mountain incline from a standstill? No. Just no. We hit traffic near Idaho Sprints and came to a stop on the interstate. When traffic would suddenly pick up again (inexplicably), we were a clear laggard in getting back up to speed. Of course, I don't drive those inclines that often.
    - MPG was 30, pretty good on those steep ups and downs and long grades.

The one puzzling thing to me is the fact the CrossTrek doesn't automatically lock doors when you hit a certain speed. Subaru was concerned enough about safety to make the radio setting controls inoperable when the CrossTrek is moving, yet they didn't have the doors auto lock - a clear safety issue.

So far I like it a lot.
    yet they didn't have the doors auto lock - a clear safety issue.

Are you new to the brand? I haven't had a Subaru yet that does that, for which I am glad. Nothing was more annoying to me when I bought a Ford last year than having the doors lock automatically. Thankfully, I was able to turn off that "feature." Unbelievably annoying. Tip for manufacturers: if I want my doors locked, I'll lock them myself, thank you!

That aside, that's pretty decent mileage for the trip you described! Sounds like your car had a full load, to boot.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    oh....you hit a sore spot...

I hate the auto locks. Have them on an older BMW...we have 2 Subarus, an '03 Forester and '12 Impreza...neither has them.

John
    I used to feel that way about auto locks. But with kids and a worried wife, having the doors lock without having to remember to lock them is helpful. I haven't had a car not autolock in years, other than my base model Jeep with the manual windows. I can live with it.

I tell you, using not even a half tank of gas for that trip was amazing. Really digging that.
    I'm still waiting on more news about the US version. There was a bit of discussion about "what is the point" when the initial announcement was for only 1 mpg additional highway for the hybrid vs the standard.

Bit old, but AutoBlog is saying 45 mpg on the Japan circuit http://green.autoblog.com/2013/06/27/subaru-xv-hybrid-the-companys-first-goes-on- -sale-in-japan/

I'm hoping for 40+ mpg highway on the US version.

John
  • anson_lamanson_lam Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Is it $23,800 out the door price? And if it is, could you please tell me the dealer information? Thanks.
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/volkswagen-alltrack-to-target-subaru-xv-crosstre- k-in-us.html

I wonder what kind of power train(s) they will offer. I might start drooling if they indicated diesel, or even the 1.4 turbo/hybrid option.

Still, I haven't been impressed with VW reliability. That idea was reinforced a couple days ago when a newish VW wore out his battery and starter while in a gas station line in front of me.

I'm still on the fence here, looking for a breakthrough on the mpg in this segment. CMAX is also on the radar.

John
    Non-Hybrid, just got 31.25mpgs doing 75-80 on 400mi trip, hand calculated with 6,500mi on the odometer. Crazy part is on the trip back had cruise on at 68mph for most part and kept it between 65-70 when off, only got 32mpgs. For me there wasn't much of a difference in how fast I drove.
    direction is important, a couple mph with or against the wind could make that kind of difference.

Glad to know it is giving you 30+. Our Impreza hatch w/CVT is doing consistent 33-34 mpg average overall.

John
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    What kind of mileage do you get in city or local driving?
    City driving drives it down to around the 20mpg range, depending on season, summer 20-22, winter 18-20. When it's suburban driving I can get 27-30mpg depending on traffic conditions. Hand calculated mpgs & 10% ethanol, overall I can't complain about EPA sticker figures and what my real world numbers are.
    edited October 2013
    If they put a diesel in the Passat Alltrack, that's a potential winner for me. I'm not confident that VW wouldn't try to rake buyers over the coals on the price, but a diesel AWD wagon would definitely catch my attention. Put it in at <$30K (well-equipped) and ~35-38 mpg? Yes, please!
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Such a vehicle would be very nice, but after ownership of multiple (8!)Audi and VW models including diesel I'm sure they would require tender loving care from the dealer at many inconvenient times. My Subaru experience with 4 vehicles (Legacy, Outback and two Foresters) has been add gasoline and change the oil. If I had kept them long enough for the dreaded head gasket problem to occur, my opinion might be different. The new Subaru designs should end that high mileage costly problem. VW and Audi AFAIK are still very nice to drive but not nice to own.
    I hear the same about VW, and have had the same experience as yours with Subaru. No head gasket problem on my '03 XS after 171k.

John
    I like my Subarus, but I'm likely not going to buy another one unless it comes with a diesel engine. Happily, my '10 Forester w/ MT only has 69,000 miles on it, so I can keep it a good long while before I start to get antsy for a replacement.
    I'm surprised that with your local climate you would like a diesel. My winter Audi diesel experience included adding kerosene to the fuel to prevent jelling.

Starting here in Chicago was better than Mercedes' diesels by about 10 degrees F, but still problematic. A plug-in dipstick heater is a needed accessory. The last car I remember that needed that was my father's 1948 Cadillac which was the last year for a Cadillac with a 6 volt battery!
    Well, we don't use #2 (standard in most places) diesel here during the winter months. All the pumps carry #1 (essentially kerosene) from October through April. Gelling really isn't an issue unless you don't use the vehicle on a regular basis.

I haven't had a diesel up to this point, as the only thing with them is essentially trucks and VWs, and I don't need another truck. I'm excited about the expansion of diesel in the market, so with two relatively new daily drivers in the stable, I'm in no hurry. I just like to watch the offering list. :-)
    #1 diesel probably would have prevented a near disaster for some friends here whose Mercedes got jelled fuel while cruising at 60 mph on a remote country road. They were rescued by the highway patrol.

Since the Subaru diesel seems to need an additive system to meet pollution controls here,and Subaru has not built one.....the wait could be extensive. I believe the new high torque capacity CVT now used in Australian Subaru diesels might solve the other problem of an adequate automatic transmission. Some of us might prefer manual, but most of the public can't drive one.