Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Subaru Forester

Comments

• saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    am kinda down to a Forester or CX-5.

Be sure to check local dealer service availability of each. Both makes have few dealers in some areas.
  • cpmunkeecpmunkee Member Posts: 2
    I am just starting out and I am interested in the 2014 forester 2.5i...but I kind of want the rear view camera. is it worth it to spend the extra $ for the next trim up?

How did you guys get below invoice what is invoice? on Edmunds its pretty high...
    I am just starting out and I am interested in the 2014 forester 2.5i...but I kind of want the rear view camera. is it worth it to spend the extra $ for the next trim up?

The higher trims also have a MUCH better driver's seat with lumbar support, and privacy glass that reduces air conditioner load. The standard seat is a back killer.
  • robhangdog823robhangdog823 Member Posts: 17
    I've been told there's a 3 month wait to order a Forester. I'm looking for the Premium w/Nav in Black and was told there's none of them in the country. I can get a Limited but I don't want the leather and I need the satellite radio, the only way to get that is with the Nav. The salesperson told me there are very few of the Premium w/Nav, if someone wants Nav they get the Limited.
  • cpmonkeecpmonkee Member Posts: 12
    how much more did you pay? what was ur invoice? what was your otd price? its hard to find a standard premium with no options
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,761
    In the grand scheme of things, three months is a drop in the bucket. If you can negotiate a good price, order the car you want. Those three months will be gone in no time, and often they show up well before the anticipated date.

When I ordered my 2010 Premium, the estimate was 6-8 weeks. The dealer called back in two to say that it was on the lot. :shades:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • cpmonkeecpmonkee Member Posts: 12
    do you negotiate a different price like add on for ordering? before or after ordering? when do you negotiate the price?
    I apologize for the delayed reply.

You don't have to treat the car any differently for an order than for a vehicle on the lot. When you order the car, you make any and all decisions about trim, "packages," accessories, etc. Some of them are factory-installed, others are port-installed, and a few may even be dealer-installed. After determining all items included with the car, you negotiate the price. Once everything is agreeable, you place the order (often requires a deposit [$500 is typical]) and wait!

If you are financing the car, the rate is dependent upon the applicable rates at the time the car is taken into inventory; the dealer cannot sell the car until it is included in inventory. They don't necessarily have to take physical possession of the vehicle, but they must have a VIN (vehicle identification number) and MCO (manufacturer's certificate of origin). The good news here is that rates often improve ofter the wait time. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • nvflashnvflash Member Posts: 4
    I have an odd problem. My wife picked up a 2014 Forester 2.5i last month and loves it. I drove it and found that I had problems seeing the speedometer especially when I'm wearing sunglasses. I figured it was due to the gray interior. I decided to get one myself after seeing her 32 MPG. I picked up a 2.5i Premium with the all-weather package with a black interior thinking it would have better visibility with the speedometer. As it turns out it didn't help. I asked the dealership, this morning, if they had anything after market to replace it. They didn't but showed me the one in the XT turbo model that was dark black with white numbers and it was perfect. I called Subaru and they basically said too bad we can't interchange the speedometers.
    Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    File a complaint with NHTSA. Maybe, if enough people complain, they will ask Subaru to issue a recall since this could be considered a safety problem.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Any other '14 Foresters owners receive surveys? I've had two so far, one from JDPower and one from some private group apparently hired by Subaru.
  • krellu7421krellu7421 Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2013
    '14 Forester LTD owner.
    I also had two surveys first from the private group hired by Subaru
    and then from JD Power.
  • firstsubarufirstsubaru Member Posts: 1
    Need to find out if I am about to over pay for a new 2014 Subaru Forester. I like the car and trusted the people I dealt with, but after reading some numbers on here, I feel like I am not getting a good deal. Here are the numbers - appreciate any and all feedback.

2014 Forester 2.5i premium
    All Weather Package
    Popular Package #2

MSRP $26,961
    Dealer Invoice $25,203

Price $25,403
    Tax $1028.00
    Other small fees

Out the door price $26,802.89

Dealer is throwing in cargo tray and offers two oil changes a year, free state inspections for the life on the car, and a 250,000 mile/10 year transmission and drive train warranty.

I can't get the car until August, because the color I wanted was nowhere to be found, so I have only paid $500.00 to order the car.

I am excited for the car, but want to make sure I am getting a good deal.
    I got the same model, but the next package up, for $1,236.00 under invoice but not the free oil changes ($73.00 each) or the extension on the warranty. The final price was 26,803.00 with all fees and taxes out the door.

I had the same issue as I wanted a pearl white one. I had made arrangements to sell my car the following weekend. They looked all over the state and to the west but couldn't find one and I couldn't wait until July when it would arrive. They offered more off on a black or dark gray but living in the mountains on dirt roads those colors wouldn't work. I walked the lot and decided on silver or bronze. They found a bronze. I'm very happy with the color as it is different than what's out there.

If you got the CVT in it you'll love the mileage. You have to learn to light foot it but I'm getting more than the 32 mpg highway advertised. Going from an SUV that got 17 mpg I'm overjoyed and the Foresters clearance is higher. Come on snow. I'm in Nevada.

The safety of a Subaru is amazing. I bought the first station wagon in 1979/1980 and ended up hitting a horse on a highway going 55 and walked away. I saw an accident by Lake Tahoe on Tuesday where a 1992 Cadillac was on the wrong side of a 45 mpg highway and hit a 2010 Forester head on. The Cadillac driver was lifeflighted out, the Forester driver walked away after ending up on top of the steel barrier on the side of the road. Both cars were totally demolished.

This would be our fourth Forester. I liked the new size and design and after my wife bought a 2.5i base model in June I bought the one described last weekend.
    After talking to and emailing to Subaru of America, the dealer, the parts person, even the shuttle driver a solution was found. The shuttle driver recommended polarized sunglasses. I went and bought a pair and it worked. At least I can see the gauges clearly now. Pretty funny the shuttle driver figured it out when the rest were baffled.
  • ronaries10ronaries10 Member Posts: 64
    edited July 2013
    I am looking to buy 2014 forester , auto w/ backup cam , all weather pkg, heated seats, and have no time urgency on buying. As a retired person, I'd like to find best price I can . I'm in Ohio but could travel to buy elsewhere. Eventually likely to relo to Seattle area. I can afford to finance thru bank, or special Mfgr rate if available...but major issue is total price.
    My questions are-
    1. Which models will have equipment I want, and
    2. When is the most likely best time to buy the model indicated? I could wait til intro of the 2015 possibly...
    Thanks all advice!
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited July 2013
    The Premium trim level (and above) will get you those features. Note that the AWP is an option on the Premium CVT, but is standard on the Premium 6-speed, Limited and Touring trim levels.

Usually your chances of getting the best deal is at the end of the month, as dealers try to meet sales quotas.

Good. Luck. The new Forester is very nice. :)

Bob
  • laszlo9laszlo9 Member Posts: 36
    If you add the All Winter Package or get it factory installed there is not much difference. To get deals is on items that the dealer does or outsource. Undercoting - paint protection etc.
    I would see on the Internet what is available at what cost and with those figures go to several dealers and see who would really want to sell you a car. The winter package is great and it is worth the investment in snowy winter country. You should haggle for a set of winter tires on rimms. All those can add up to a fairly good figure. Drive the car on a really crappy day to see how it behaves. In nice sunshine all cars will run well.
  • rose920rose920 Member Posts: 14
    I drove the Forester today with polarized sunglasses and could not see the speedometer or the data on the top of the dash where the temp and time should be. It is the only thing holding me back from buying one.
    I did notice when I first tried the polarized sunglasses that the cheap ones, $25 at CVS, didn't work as well as more expensive ones. Maybe try this? Keep your receipt just in case it doesn't work.
    I bought expensive polarized sunglasses with a gray lens and it was really difficult to see. My daughter was in the passenger seat and could not see it and she has phenominal eyesight. I also had difficulty with the backup camera screen. Not while backing up but trying to read the other info on there. I do have cataract which will be taken care of in a couple of weeks (1). what kind of sunglasses did you buy? And how is the screen at night?
    Someone on here said that if you do not have 20/20 vision, then you can't see it at night either.
    edited July 2013
    So far in a hot NW summer my '14 XT's black exterior gets hot, but not quite as hot as I expected it to. Perhaps Subaru put more IR shielding into the vehicle glass this iteration? Also, the XT's windows don't fog up like those in my older black interiors did (am so glad there's little vinyl inside the Subie !!). :D

Still, I wish Subaru offered warm gray as alternative to Black interiors.
    Also, the XT's windows don't fog up like those in my older black interiors did (am so glad there's little vinyl inside the Subie !!).

You must have the Touring. My 2014 XT Premium has lots of vinyl as part of the seats. I don't notice a plastic smell so far..It is just one day in my garage!
    Yes, mine is a touring but minus eyesight and the other new tech. Leather's pretty darn stiff but hopefully will wear well.
    Have you gotten used to the nearly silent engine yet? It only sounds like a Subaru under max throttle. I don't really miss the noise from my 2010 XT. :)
  • gene28gene28 Member Posts: 9
    buying a new one? We found a 2014 Forester that apparently owner decided she wanted to go back to Honda CRV. It is at a Honda dealership as trade in. I compared to buying one new and we may save $2000.00 give or take maybe not even that much. Dilema I like the Honda dealership location and sales person much better than the one at the Subaru dealership. While it is of course still under the warranty with Subaru if anything comes up lets say I get oil change and various servicing done at the Honda and I in big trouble if any major comes up? I know very little about this and would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
    The factory warranty is still in place, which means any warranty issues come up, you should take it to the Subaru dealer of your choice. There aren't any issues with purchase vs. service location.
    The '14 XT's drive train's definitely quieter, and the new CVT's more responsive than the '09 XT I drove before. :)

Consumers Union says Forester ride's not cushy, and granted, the '14 XT telegraphs undulations in roads. But ride's not harsh - potholes are better handled than by Allroad or Outbacks I compared Forester to, and speed bumps get dispatched quickly.
    Not only quieter, but way more efficient: It is too early to put an exact number on my city mpg increase and it could be almost 1/3 better!
  • seven_upsseven_ups Member Posts: 10
    Rose920,

Any polarized set of sunglass lenses will make it difficult to read the Subaru display, as polarized lenses are incompatible with LCD displays. Indeed, polarized lenses are not authorized for flying - so keep them out of Subaru and Gulfstream cockpits alike. Wayfarers or original Ray-Ban Aviators will do just fine.
  • garry21garry21 Member Posts: 1
    We have the same speedometer trouble with our 2013 Forester 2.0D in Australia.

Dark cloudy weather, driving through forest on a sunny day, fog, built up areas with high rise buildings - at night, just about everywhere the speedometer is either difficult to read or can't be read at all.

Subaru Australia have pulled the shutters down on this. My complaint has obviously hit a raw nerve. The Australian standards for speedometers are advisory, not mandatory but the matter could be pursued under the common law - not suitable for the purpose, insufficient opportunity to test the product before purchase, withholding important information, misleading conduct etc.

Are you any further ahead?

Garry 21
  • jmf100jmf100 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a 2014 Forester Limited and have a question on the gray leather. The color seems to be a light shade of gray. My question is whether the light color will wear well?....does it show wear and tear like scratches, etc. easily because of the light color?....will I be happy with the gray leather or should I choose one that comes with the black leather interior?
    As a reference point, my '09 Forester XT's gray leather seats did, after around 45000 miles, began to show small dark gray/black wear lines in the drivers seat. It wasn't dirt or grime - cleaning didn't restore the leather's uniform gray color.

Have any Forester owners with black leather seats noted any light cracks or other wear features over time? Mine are too new to show anything just yet.
    edited August 2013
    I actually bought 2 new 2014 Subaru Forester XT's. Unfortunately the first was totaled after not even 3 weeks. Because of the construction of it next day went back to the dealer and ordered another one

Regards

Laszlo Kovacs
  • aktennisaktennis Member Posts: 8
    Do you realize that Forester's steering wheel is not parallel to the car front? The left side of steering wheel is 1 inch further away from the center of driver's seat than the right side of the steering wheel. Also, the center of car seat does not line up with the center of steering wheel and the center of the meter panel. It is also 1 inch off.

I love the performance of forester. However, very disappointed about these alignment mistakes that should not happen to Forester!

The new Subaru logo plate is not as good looking as 2012/2013's model.
    That is very odd. I do like the performance of the XT but still think the CVT is not the right transmission for it. For the 2.5 yes but the XT's turbo engine is really being held back by it.
    Have you tried S# wide open throttle? Way faster than my previous 2010 XT leaving the toll booths to merge with traffic! And much faster than my 2005 6 cylinder without the excessive noise of either.

Perhaps we'll see some road test numbers soon that will confirm the seat-of- the-pants feel.
  • photoflowphotoflow Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I recently purchased a 2014 Forester XT Touring model. On the dash, just to the right of the speedometer, there is a button called Select, its a push button similar to the Trip button on the left side of odometer.

My question is about the functionality of the Select button, apparently it does nothing in my Forester. From reading the owner's manual, it seems like the Select button is deactivated in models that have the multi function display and its only active if you have the standard information display.

Is my reading of the owner's manual correct that the Select button does nothing in my Forester Touring model? Appreciate if anybody else can confirm if my understanding here is correct that the Select button is basically a useless button in the Forester Touring model.

Thanks!!!
  • cafe_con_lechecafe_con_leche Member Posts: 1
    When the sales was doing a walk through of my 2.0XT Touring, he specifically mentioned about this. He said the speedometer module is made the same for all Forester trims, and some of the lower end trims do not have the "info" button on the steering wheel, so the "select" button is the only way to control the multi function display. But for touring trim, that "info" button on the steering wheel replaces that select button, but since it's the same speedometer, they are not making new design/parts just to take out that button, so it's just a left over thing there.
    Our local Subaru dealer, so far, has had two '14 XT's. I'm driving one, the other was traded to another dealer.

Does anyone here know what percentage of '14 Foresters are XT's? They seem to be rarer this time out.
    Also interesting that Consumers Reports remarked they don't plan to fully test the XT this time around :confuse: (they've driven it but have said little other than it "requires" premium fuel (wrong: premium is recommended, not required).
    I have one and I think they are testing the waters with the CVT without any other option and that is why they are kind of scarce. I find the CVT is a mediocre transmission for that engine. It does not give justice to the rest of the car. I would not be surpriced if by next year it will be changed to a maybe dual clutch system or something like that. Personally I use premium fuel only. Don't forget the engine is a high performance sTi engine that needs high octane fuel without ethanol. You can put regular in the tank of a Ferrari as well and could drive with it. Would you do it? And if not why? So that applies to this engine as well. If you really want to use regular you should reset the timing to accommodate the the different level of detonation or you will pay some serious figure for an engine job down the line.
    "I find the CVT is a mediocre transmission for that engine. It does not give justice to the rest of the car. I would not be surpriced if by next year it will be changed to a maybe dual clutch system or something like that."

I also have a 14 XT and do not agree. I would not be surprised to see the turbo 2.0 replace the six in the Outback and Legacy. When driven with a very light foot the economy is quite good....and the problematic five speed automatic in the six could be retired along with that engine.

OTOH the economy when using the available performance is middling at best. I only have about 1,000 miles on mine so fuel economy is not yet at max. My previous 2010 XT took 5,000 miles to reach its max economy. My 2014 XT currently gets about 27 mpg at 70-75 mph.
    We will see what the fututre will bring. Who will be right. I have about 4000ML on mine and yes in I drive it runs about 2100 RPM at 75Ml. You can barely hear it.
    There is one problem that I found in these blogs. The fact that people talking about economy with a 250 HP turbocharged racing engine. This is NOT an engine for economy but a performance motor that is replacing the WRX engine.
    Why would you want to buy this car with economy in mind. Get the non turbo with the CVT. They match perfectly and you will have a great car with great economy. If you don't intend to drive it in the Sport modes than what is the point to have one. But watch if you press the Sport or the Sport Sharp it will drink fuel like a drunken sailor. Also there is where the CVT sucks.
    Driving WRX for more than 6 years I know what I was expecting from a Subaru Turbo and it is NOT that.
    We will see what the fututre will bring. Who will be right. I have about 4000ML on mine and yes in I drive it runs about 2100 RPM at 75Ml. You can barely hear it.
    There is one problem that I found in these blogs. The fact that people talking about economy with a 250 HP turbocharged racing engine. This is NOT an engine for economy but a performance motor that is replacing the WRX engine.
    Why would you want to buy this car with economy in mind. Get the non turbo with the CVT. They match perfectly and you will have a great car with great economy, if you don't intend to drive it in the Sport modes than what is the point to have one. But watch if you press the Sport or the Sport Sharp it will drink fuel like a drunken sailor. Also there is where the CVT sucks because it tends to over rev, shifting becomes erratic and there is no clutch to solve the problem.
    Driving WRX for more than 6 years I know what I was expecting from a Subaru Turbo and it is NOT that.
    Remember I traded a previous turbo Forester for the new one. Economy was not my objective particularly with either one! However the 2014 seems to get about 25% better mpg than the 2010 and with far less noise and vibration. For CAFE reasons, that is important for Subaru if not for you and me. I see the XT as a lower insurance rate WRX wagon with better outward vision.

The only downside from the update is a firmer ride which is balanced by better high speed handling.

If the XT turbo had not been offered this year I probably would have purchased an RDX. The Premium XT's pricing was enough lower than the RDX to convince me to buy. The Touring XT would have lost to the RDX. I doubt that the loads of garbage accessories on the Touring will hold their value at trade-in time. Of course an RDX is likely to depreciate more than the XT Premium.
    Comparing my '14 XT to former '09 XT, the 14's more responsive (particularly in sport mode - in sport# mode it gets confused), yet still manages to get the same or a little better fuel economy.

Granted, if you want max. mileage out of a Forester, the '14 2.5 engine will give you better fuel economy with slightly better acceleration. Also, that's the only version you can get the new 6 speed manual on, though you'll burn more gas with that one.

My only worry is, being a direct injection engine, it may suffer from carbon buildup.
    "the 14's more responsive (particularly in sport mode - in sport# mode it gets confused), yet still manages to get the same or a little better fuel economy."

A little better fuel economy surprises me. I'll have to try that and see if I get the same result.
  • zombiebombiezombiebombie Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2013
    I am looking at a 2014 Forester 2.5i Premium with Manual Transmission and the All Weather Package. Are there any other must have options/accessories any current owners would recommend that are really good to have, but difficult to install afterwards? As I meet the dealer this weekend, I would like to get additional accessories bundled if they don't back down on price much.
  • colocatecolocate Member Posts: 6
    I need to disagree with your speculation that a 2014 Forester 6 speed will "burn more gas" than the CVT. I purchased my 6 speed Premium in late July and have 1700+ miles on it. My best highway MPG (in the Colorado mountains--primarily on Slumgullion Pass between Gunnison and Creede, and then between Creede and Denver-- has been 38.4! Not a fluke. I've driven the pass three times now. Denver to Gunnison? 36+ mpg. And the 6 speed has plenty of pep and acceleration. (*I* have no idea who would want a turbo...seems like a waste of money and fuel.) So please don't speculate on subjects not tested. I will be posting my own review soon.