Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rust on my new 2013 Ford Escape 4wd Titanium!

titanium13titanium13 Member Posts: 15
I bought a brand new Ford Escape Titanium (2013) a month ago. During the third week of ownership, we had a few inches of snow. No big deal, the car handled well, overall I was very pleased with the performance of the car. I pulled my Escape into the garage at night, the next morning I noticed that my garage floor, where the snow had melted off from the night before, was stained a bright orange rust color under each of the rear wheels on my concrete floor.

The stain ran from underneath the rear wheels down towards my garage door. I got on my hands and knees and found that my “brand new car”, with less than 1K miles on it, had rust on the undercarriage, exhaust system, the rear wheel assembly (rear suspension knuckles, etc.).

I was told by the dealership that Ford said "that's how it is - AND IT’S HOW IT’S ENGINEERED – IT’S A CHARACTERISTIC OF THE CAR!", and that Ford, no longer put a protective coating under the car OR even offered it at time of purchase. So, both the DEALER and FORD’s recommendation/remedy for me was to just deal with the mess, the ruining of my garage floor and driveway, clean up after the car and pay AT MY COST for replacement of parts and after market undercoating if I should so choose. Also, not to worry about the early/pre-mature rusting...its not a safety issue. How am I to know this????

That’s not the only issue. With all of this rust falling into my wheel well, it’s getting on to my rotors and coming off in higher quantities than typical rail dust. I have a white SUV…and it’s now pitted with orange dots. Also, the rust that it is leaking/flecking off onto my rotors is also staining my BRAND NEW wheels/rims orange as well. This rust-dust-pitting is on my rear tailgate and I guarantee that at some point, these specs will make their way onto my rear window and when the wiper is activated, will grab those particles and then scratch the window as well! How am I to prove that those damages should be covered under warranty??? Oh sure, it will be blamed on me! Again, not even a month old, not more than 1K miles. I wash it every week!

What's the deal???? Anyone have similar issues?? Any luck on fighting Ford to stand behind their product with more than a, "this is how it is - deal with it" attitude?

If this is their stance, then they should put a warning label on the vehicle sticker.."WARNING...VEHICLE WILL SUFFER FROM PREMATURE RUST CAUSING DAMAGE TO VEHICLE'S PAINT, WHEELS AND SURFACE WHERE PARKED!!!"

SUV's aren't cheap!

Comments

• escapeismescapeism Member Posts: 39
    edited February 2013
    I did notice that my spindles? Knuckles? (Not sure what you call it) whatever that big chunk of metal is that connects all the suspension together, mine are uncoated and rust colored. All 4 wheels. But I did read that is SOP. Exactly what parts are uncoated? Can you post a picture?
  • usa1fanusa1fan Member Posts: 68
    Hmm. Mine is parked outside all the time, and I haven't noticed anything. Then again, I was used to the idea that most vehicles have comprehensive coatings or rust-proof/resistant materials for everything nowadays. I'll have to take a look tomorrow, if I remember (and get time). Everything's hectic for me lately..

One thing's for sure, with all the damp weather we've had and have coming, if this is the case, mine should have the same issues!
  • titanium13titanium13 Member Posts: 15
    Driver side rear:
    Driver side front:
  • usa1fanusa1fan Member Posts: 68
    I don't see anything. Did you mean to attach images or links to images?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2013
    If you saw it on your preview, maybe the pics are on your computer. They need to be hosted somewhere so you can link to the URL. Free photo hosting sites include Flickr.com and tinypic.url.

There's some photo posting instructions in the Help link below.
    Thanks...I had em on Picasa...arrrrrgggg
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2013
    Ah, the links worked. :-)

lol, or they did before you edited again.
    edited February 2013

driverrear020213driverfront021913
    I hope not! Its truely a messy pain! :cry:
    My husband spent 2 hours trying to work the stains out of our garage. Certainly not what we signed on for!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
    Yes, that's the same as mine. The 4 knuckles are uncoated on my Titanium.
    Ugh! Your exhaust (muffler to manifold) too?
    I'm hoping that my dealership will spring for an undercoating to stop this mess since Ford is giving me the big No-No Head Shake! Less than 1K for my piece of mind and no longer need to chase around my new cars dribbles. It would be a godsend if they would replace it with a few fresh parts and then coat! Come on Ford...take care of us that invest in the USA!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Rotors will rust on every car... It's just surface, and comes off when you brake....

The rest is sort of ugly...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Oh yes I know about the rotors, but this isn't that. The rotors are fine. This is from behind them, underneath the car on those rusted parts which when wet from rain or snow drips the rusty water onto my rotors and staining the wheels, and the floor also intensifying the typical "rail dust" on the car itself. It's a mess. Snow again tonight and I know I'm going to have an issue again tomorrow. It's not salt either. Just snow at this point. :(:cry:
    Looks like Ford did not think this one through.
    AGREED!
    I'm still waiting for some kind of answer from Ford and my local dealership regarding the car that I bought brand new that is ruining my property as if it was years and years old with all of the rust and all of the staining. This is sooooo aggrivating! I should've bought the Audi instead!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
    If a consumer is soooo unhappy with the quality of the product they purchased, can they return it? I know a car isn't like a pair of shoes that don't fit right...but I can't see having to be stuck with a car for years and years and worry about cleaning up after it EVERY SINGLE DAY there is any kind of moisture on the under carriage. I can't see how a car manufacturer is outside of the typical "consumer is not happy with the quality purchased, may refund", and how we are just STUCK with sub-par quality and basically are told "too bad...we have our money and you have the product", until we get far enough into the car payments where we are no longer upside down in order to trade it in on something else! When did buying a car become a prison sentence for a crime not committed???!!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    The rust staining on the garage floor seems to stop after a while.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • p38flnp38fln Member Posts: 1
    I think it actually builds up a protective rust layer and stops rusting any further after a short time. I've had two brand-new Fords and both were set up the same way. The rust does stop after a short time - I can't remember ever having it run off and create a rust stain, so it must have been within a few weeks that it completely stoppped.
  • rangerdonrangerdon Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    They told me that unless there was a hole it was not covered.
    On another point, my garage floor doesn't have a vapor barrier under concrete , and I never have driven in salt or rain with my vehicle, and its rusted worse than my wife's escape!!!!!!!
  • johnnyumajohnnyuma Member Posts: 54
    I'm curious, any response yet? I've had my Escape since Nov 1, 2012. I haven't seen anything on the garage floor other than the normal water/road salt/dirty grime that's common with a MI winter. What is Ford telling you?
    Horrible service! crazy!
    Ford told me that it is typical for a car to rust and whatever damage it is causing on my property is no fault of theirs since its 'typical' performance of those parts. I can understand that response if the car is old and years of rust have gotten to the parts...but again...this is a brand new car STILL marking my driveway and garage floor like an old rustbucket! I'm so livid. I love the car's performance, the gadgets inside, etc, but this is embarassing!
    Anyone know of anything further I can do to get out of my car?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    I usually open the door if I want to get out of my car. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Funny! :)
    Arg...so frustrating
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • printerman1printerman1 Member Posts: 68
    dont hold your breath, true! unless rust makes a hole, they will refuse. my 2011 has tiny rust forming on the left passenger door lip. I had it rust coated. but was told by the rust guy that this is a common area. Its the type of metal they use, cheaper the better. And they dont give a rats butt after the sale is made. its best to get a dremel and remove the rust. coat it, repaint it.
  • firkofirko Member Posts: 1

well, I just got a brand new 2014 and guess what , I came like that, I just noticed yesterday, what should we do?

• susanb421susanb421 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2012 Escape. Rust was found on rear quarter panel and c-pillar (I think this is correct word). Dealer told me Ford used cheap metal and that's why it is rusting. I was told that this is happening a lot, especially with the 2012 year. Claim submitted to Ford. I am told they will repair it at no charge. We'll see what happens.

• HostasjjHostasjj Member Posts: 1
    I have had the rear brakes completely replaced under warranty at between 40000 to 50000 KM , the discs where extremely rusted and grooved, now at 80000 they are in worst condition with pieces of the rotor peeling from the outside diameter , told by the dealer that it’s driving conditions, lame excuse as my Ram 3500 runs in the same conditions without the disc brake rusting.