Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Can You Make Gas Pedal Stiffer, Firmer, Less Sensitive?

dav19pt5dav19pt5 Member Posts: 2
edited July 2019 in Subaru
hi. having a hard time finding a place to relax my leg/rt foot while driving. it has made my knee hurt and has continued to ache today. the pedal is very sensitive and resting it accelerates the engine. i have seen other complaints online but no solution was posted. some advice would be greatly appreciated. any safe way to make the pedal stiffer/less sensitive would help.

Comments

• steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    Glad I'm not the only one. I test drove a VW Golf 2.5 automatic and a Subaru Impreza CVT.
    The Golf was slightly too stiff on the gas pedal but the Impreza was way too easy. I have a big foot and it was difficult to make smooth starts from a stop.
    Could be a deal killer
    Plus, noisiest car I've ever driven, but otherwise it feels solid and I like the interior
  • dav19pt5dav19pt5 Member Posts: 2
    subaru people say there is nothing that can be done... i am stuck with it trying to get used to it. many people do - and i have gotten a bit better at it. however i generally have to drive with shoe off and just use my first toe. otherwise it keeps accelerating. ridiculous. i test drove a couple before buying this, and didn't notice this issue so it makes me wonder if i have one looser then others...

otherwise it is a great car. the way it shifts is amazing, and it is solid. it is louder - sometimes truckish sounding. but it matches its rugged-ness.

i tried the golf and wanted the golf - but the sporty bolsters on the seats were digging into my thigh. in retrospect i'd rather deal with that though then the sensitive throttle.
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    It is definitely loud. I wonder if any changes are being made to the 2014 version, maybe they will also change the pedal sensitivity. It really is too much
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I like lighter controls. I feel like I can be more precise. YMMV.
  • yankees1960yankees1960 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 8 cylinder truck my leg was cramping up as I had to keep pulling back on the gas peddle so I got a little spring screwed it into the side of the gas peddle then screwed the other end into the front part of my truck so it gave a little bit more tension to the peddle and it worked like a charm no more leg pain
  • yankees1960yankees1960 Member Posts: 2
    you can stiffen a very sensitive gas peddle I bought a long light spring attacked it to my gas peddle and then attacked it to a upper part of my car it was perfect no more leg pain just had to find the right spring tension bought several to see what was the best now when pushing the gas peddle you get that little extra tension from the spring