Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cruise control accelerates downhill

eddietgeddietg Member Posts: 1
In 2011 Legacy with CVT, the cruise control maintains speed downhill only about 10% of the time. Otherwise, it remains on, but vehicle accelerates downhill. This did not occur with my prior 2005 Outback, or my wife's 2013 Impreza. Dealer claims downhill acceleration to be normal. Since I live in a mountainous area, cruise control requires constant monitoring, cancellation and re-set. Any one else with this problem? I had no such problem with prior Accord and Odyssey.

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's what I've always observed, i.e. the cruise actually sets a minimum speed.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Agree... manufacturers will sometimes note the potential upward variance in the owner's manual, mentioning conditions like downgrades.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • Options
    raysayraysay Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2010 Legacy with the CVT and expect that on long steep downhills the car will gradually accelerate if I'm using cruise control. In general I don't consider that using cruise control is wise on anything but flat to modestly undulating roads with long open curves. And never when there is traffic around me.

On mountainous roads I generally use my paddle shifters to control downhill speeds and through twisty sections, and sometimes (though relatively seldom) in climbing situations.

I'm noticing more and more that drivers use cruise control to hog the passing lane - often at exactly the speed limit or a little over it - impeding the progress of those of us who want to get clear of them and the backups they create. I may be biased here but my impression is that the more expensive the vehicle and the bigger it is the more likely that the driver is a cruise control road hog!