Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Repair Malibu or go for Civic Hybrid or Prius? Advice?

raferafe Member Posts: 5
Ok, my 2006 Malibu needs at least $3000 worth of work and has 350,000km on the odometer. It hasn't been bad on gas - been getting 32mpg on my commute (I drive 75% highway, 25% city).

I am trying to decide whether to fix the Malibu or get a decent used hybrid so the better mileage gas savings can go towards the monthly payments.

So far I have found:

a nicely maintained 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid with 100,000 km on it and a brand new battery. (I am nervous about the recent battery lifespan claims since the battery is $2000+ and it had to be replaced after just 100,000 km)

OR

an in decent shape 2007 Prius with 90,000 km on it.

They are both $10,500 CDN.

Not sure what to do. They get about the same highway mileage (as posted by EPA and average user claims). Prius gets better in-town of course, but I don't do that much city driving.

What could I expect in ongoing maintenance for the 2007 Prius or the 2009 Civic Hybrid?
(That will help me decide which will be the most economical including payments if I buy, plus gas and expected maintenance costs).

And, what kind of mileage would I realistically get with the Prius (including winter driving commuting across South Western Ontario with very little stop-and-go traffic? i.e. not Toronto)

p.s.
The Malibu is costing me an average of $1700 a year to maintain (primarily replacing brake pads, rotors, etc. due to the 40,000 km I drive each year).

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I'll leave this post up, but you might also want to post in our "To fix or trade up?" discussion here:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef469d7/

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• raferafe Member Posts: 5
    Thanks! Didn't know about that thread. I have now posted there.
    Thanks again.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You're welcome!
    If you want to read perspectives on the Civic Hybrid and the Prius from other members, just use the search tools on the right-hand side of the forums page. You can use the make/model drop-downs to get a list of all discussions about a particular vehicle, and pick & choose what interests you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews