Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    Hi guys...again, much thanks for the plethora of help and tips so far...

Anyways, I'm slowly prepping my jeep (97 tj)for offroad and possible jamboree :D , and my next step seems to be a CB radio...However, I have a few questions:
    1) where can I install one (i already have a CD player in my 97 tj)
    2) are they difficult to install, as I am electronically ignorant--can I get them installed affordably by some shop (i.e. best buy/future shop, etc.)
    3) is theft an issue, as I only own a soft top?
    4) do i need any kind of license?

Again, and as always, thanks for the help!

Hope to be (as Tom would put it) WHEELIN' soon!!
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Allow me to refer you to post #13774 (the 'search' works well) for details of a popular Cobra unit that has all the controls on a detachable microphone, allowing the small main box to be easily concealed.

• jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I'll second Mac's suggestion for the Cobra, thats what I have. They are not hard to install, I just always seem to take more time getting it done than others say it takes. Give it a shot yourself, if it doesn't go well then you can take to someone else. Give yourself permission to try before giving up on it............

I always hated hearing my dad say " Can't never did anything" but it really is the truth.

there is a small connection box that can be put almost anywhere, mine is in the plastic housing just behind the gear shift. I hooked into power at the cigarette lighter ( sorry power outlet) and a cable just slips underneath the plastic housing to hook into the CB.

here is a link cobra's page for this CB.

http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=5&id=1&ps_session=b6955a02067e- 259bdcc550946da7a85942dc73e4

Theft issues?
    you can take this one out in seconds. stick in your glove box, console, or take it inside,

I don't believe license are required for CB's, I've never had one.

jeff
  • utahjeeputahjeep Member Posts: 24
    You seem to have found the only drawback to the TJ in your first question - there isn't much real estate where you can install radios. You can check out the following for some ideas that add real estate made for installing radios, and provide great security to solve question # 3.

Tuffy Overhead Security Console

Tufffy TJ Center Stereo Security Console

As for quesiton # 2, they are not hard to install. You need to run an antenna cable and a pair of wires to the battery or another source of +12V like an acccessory (switched) line. Ideally, when you screw the mounting bracket in, the screws go into grounded metal.

As for question 4 - no license required. If you want to go with HAM radio (much greater distance, greater flexibility, and more fun) then you need a license. There is information on my site about that. It's not difficult to get an entry-level (Technician) license. 35 question multiple choice test, no Morse code requirement.

The Cobra 75 WX ST unit recommended by many is very easy to install and does not take much real estate, but I find it lacking in audio quality and signal output. I personally recommend going a bit more and getting a CB that is SSB-capable. You may not use that feature much, you you get a lot of other features includingg improved audio quality. I recommend the Midland 79-290 since the Cobra 148 NW ST was discontinued.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I have the 75WXST. I mounted it under my Tuffy console (the small box that is) and it hooks just behind my wiper blades on the knee panel. Audio is hard to hear on the highway, but offroading, it is great! I have toyed with the idea of installing an external speaker for it (yes, it does have a speaker jack on the box), but just haven't gotten around to it.

My CB is currently on a switched circuit, but I think I'll be running it directly to the battery.

I have an antenna mount from www.arizonarockyroad.com that mounts to the 3rd tail light. With a 2' antenna, it sticks up about a foot over the roofline, which works well for places like Turkey Bay and lots of trees. I had a 4' antenna on it, but it stuck up WAY too high for low clearance branches. :)

-Paul
  • pstpst Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the fog lights, harness, wiring.. OUCH.. this aint easy. Has anyone ever installed fog lights by themself? is there an easy way? thanks, any help will be graciously accpeted!
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    Took my wife to visit the dealership yesterday; I wanted her to test drive a U.R. I had driven one last week and was still waffling, but I knew based on the online inventory that the dealer did not have what I wanted (white, dual tops, auto). I knew the only white U.R. was a manual that the owner had ordered for himself so I it was safe to venture back to the lot. She drove one and loved it. The salesman asked me if they had what I wanted would I "buy one today". I confidently said yes! because I knew he didn't have one. He scurried around the lot for 10 minutes--left me standing in the heat, getting pissed--then drove up in what I assumed was the UR manual. I very smugly said "I told you I wanted an auto", he pushed open the door so I could see the shifter and beamed "just rolled off the truck!". Uh oh! Now, my pride was on the line! I did escape the dealership to do some research online, but returned last night to take delivery after lengthy phone negotiations. This was my deal:

MSRP: $32,335
    Invoice: $29,446 (per Edmunds)
    Empl discount: $28,035 (per Jeep.com, after $500 rebate)
    My price: $27,200 (+ $495 admin fee, read: profit)

Bought in Tallahassee, FL. Overall, great dealer experience.
    I've never installed the whole kit, but I've probably had all the individual pieces apart at one time or another. What's the specific problem?
  • krispykeithkrispykeith Member Posts: 19
    did you pay 27,200 after the rebate or did you get the rebate on top of that?

Either way it sounds like a good deal and congrats on the new toy!
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    O.W. Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.
    Price was $27,200 after rebate. Probably more accurate to say $27,700 which includes the $500 dealer "admin fee" In other words, $27,700 plus tax, tag & title only.
    and used no factory wiring for it.

I wish now I had gotten a Mopar switch and wired them into that. But I also wired em to run independent of the low/high beams for those real dark nights. :)

-Paul
  • eagle41eagle41 Member Posts: 54
    Mark
    Good Job !
    I almost traded in my jeep fri night $15k( not bad) but my salesman and I couldn't come to terms on the mustang Gt. It's along story . It still could happen but not with the guy that I was dealing with.
    Enjoy your Rubicon !

Steve
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    ..well I know I posted a note last week describing the miserable time I had when I first removed the hard top and installed the soft top.

Let me tell you what a difference a week makes.

I let the soft top "stretch out" for a full week before I tried putting it down. Removing the windows and soft top was a breeze, and when I put the soft top back up, to my amazement, I did it in about 10 - 15mins with little problems.

So hopefully I didnt disuade anyone from getting the dual top option. It gets alot easier, and you'd be surprised how you remember all the steps after spending 2 hours on it the first time.

Oh, and I did my first morning commute with the top down. Makes it a whole lot more enjoyable. In the morning it was nice, in the lower 80s, but I brought a change of clothes for the ride home so I don't melt in the 90 degree evening heat!
  • jack41jack41 Member Posts: 7
    Long time jeeper, have a friend who recently purchased a 99' Wrangler, his steering locks (intermitently) in a left hand turn, jiggling wheel will allow left turn.
    Feels to me as if in column itself, and all steering components not binding below ?
    Anybody have any experience with this ?
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    I like that!! KB2
    How hard is it to get Jeep colors? I've been thinking about getting my 97 TJ (green) painted and have considered:

Repainting same color
    Solar Yellow
    Patriot Blue
    Jeep Red (don't know the actual name)
    Inca Gold

When a place repaints a vehicle, do they paint all the surfaces or just the outside?

-Paul
  • riddlebucksriddlebucks Member Posts: 2
    I have a Jeep 2004 Unlimited and recently bought a light rack for it...Has anyone ever had a problem when the rack is installed the soft top will not come off??? Basically the top hits the rack and the screws from the foglights and will not raise unless I were to uninstall it...Let me know thanks
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    .. so I'm driving home from work today, the FIRST time I've done so with the soft top down... and after I make a left turn to go to a grocery store, I feel a sharp pain in my back right shoulder blade.

Turns out some @#$% decided to throw a water balloon at me, which didn't break. I now have a nice purple bruise on my right-side back. The unbroken water balloon landed in my back seat.

I swear I don't know what these a-holes are thinking sometimes. At the speed they threw it, if it had hit the back of my head I seriously could have lost control of my Jeep.

I was totally relaxing and had the radio up loud, so I have no idea who did it - whether it was from a passing car, or some @#$% hiding in some bushes. But now I'm ready. It kinda sucks because with the top off I was hoping to experience a relaxing ride, but, at least for the near future, I'm gonna be on the lookout for anyone throwing crap at me.

Ah, to live in the spoiled suburbs of Chicago. The kids got nothing better to do than whip balloons at passing Jeeps.
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    You are exactly right. The softie takes a little bit of stretching out to get easy. I ran mine for 3 months the first summer, putting it up and taking it down just to get it easier to work with. Its in the garage waiting for another trip to Camp Jeep or wherever.

Dual tops, with a garage hoist and door dolleys are the way to go - best of both, or all 3 (is it 4?) worlds!
    How hard is it to get Jeep colors?

Any color for any vehicle can be mixed on the spot.

When a place repaints a vehicle, do they paint all the surfaces or just the outside?

Entirely dependant on the size of your wallet! :shades:
    Is this a genuine Jeep™ accessory, or an aftermarket item?
    It's hard to tell from this far away, but don't forget to include the steering box in the list of things to check.
    I rather like, "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.".
  • clnchfieldpaulclnchfieldpaul Member Posts: 7
    I don't let it warm up much. But this happens occassionally when the jeep is fully warmed up.
  • riddlebucksriddlebucks Member Posts: 2
    It is an after market however I bought it from "4 Wheel Parts" right from the dealer (walked in) which they said would fit...I have already called the dealer back and they say thats whats in there book... But without major bending it will not let the Soft top come up..:(
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    That is a good one!
    The most practical solution will probably be to return it, then look for one that will work. However, is it possible that the light bar can be tilted forward, after loosening it, to allow the top to be opened?

Interestingly, the '4 Wheel Parts' site was down when I went to look at your lightbar, but I came up with THIS which you may find a little disturbing. :(
    As a brand new Unlimited hardtop owner, I have an idea that must either be unworkable or unoriginal. Does anyone make receiver hitch mounted hardtop hoist? It would seem that a collapsible (or multi-part), swiveling boom with a hand operated winch would be a workable set-up. Of course the winch would have to have a clutch to allow a controlled descent of the top. Dumb idea? A dozen of them readily available?
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    If it was L.A., they would have shot you.
    No need for a winch with a clutch, a regular 'boat trailer' model will suffice to handle the weight up or down, it's all in the gearing. A regular 2" receiver will be fine to mount it and would make an ideal pivot point. Very little will be required for construction apart from a welder and a hacksaw.

However, I don't know of one that's commercially available. Most people use one that attaches to the ceiling of their garage. Maybe you should get together with the manufacturer of the frame/cart that holds the hardtop at floor level?
    Thanks for the reply. I think I'll give it a shot. If it works I'll post details; if it doesn't you'll never hear from me again ;) It just seems that this would be much more versatile than a fixed mounted hoist in the garage, although it would require a little more effort to set up.

On a somewhat related note, I ordered a Drawtite hitch for the Unlimited from etrailer.com. They had three Class 3 options and I ordered what appeared to be the beefiest. Price was $122.97. I also ordered a wiring harness for $30.70 that is supposed to plug into the existing harness. Received e-mail notification within 2 hours that it had shipped (UPS ground - $14).

Lastly, in keeping with the tradition of many of you regular posters, I have chosen a name for my new Wrangler. She is an Unlimited Rubicon and she shall henceforth and hereby be know as Hoochie--lots of bling and will spend almost her entire life on the street :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    I have had the same issue but only when my Jeep does not warm up for a few minutes. Mac, any ideas? John
    Wow, tons of advice guys--as always, thanks! Perhaps I'll give it a whirl myself; I would like to think I could figure it out...

Anyhow, yeah, thanks a bunch to everyone that replied!
    Well, hopefully I can finally offer some help, returning the favour of the numerous times I've received it from this board!

I recently installed fog lights on my 97 TJ with little trouble at all--we (I admit, my very electronically capable friend and I) grounded the wires just inside/under the hood directly infront of the battery. The wiring and instructions were pretty simple, and I used the factory holes in the bumper to mount--no drilling! :D

Anyhow, it was pretty simple, and they work great! They are hooked up independently from my other lights, and turn on with a simple switch. If you need a specific question, ask and I'll (or someone else for sure) do my best to help.
    Don't know what year yours is John but the original question was for an '04, which would probably have too low a mileage for deposits to have built up in the throttle body. Having eliminated that possibility I'd look at the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and/or the Idle Air Control (IAC) motor. Finally, it could possibly be an intermittent vacuum or inlet manifold gasket leak, but that's pretty unlikely.

However, as it's still under warranty I'd let the dealer puzzle over it. :)
    Hope you had a great trip to Tellico! Tell us all about it!

-Paul
    Thanks..feeling really stupid..after about six hours of head scratching / tearing the dash apart..finally found the oil filler cap lodged on the left side of the coupler at the steering box ! My two cents..don't overlook the obvious !
    A perfect illustration of why it's sometimes so hard to identify problems at a distance................it would have taken a very long time to guess that one correctly.

Just curious, but was this an oil filler cap that was lost, abandoned and replaced, or was the the cap actually missing from the engine?
  • 05rubisahara05rubisahara Member Posts: 25
    Does anyone know of some good sources to obtain a vehicle owners manual? Not for my new Jeep but for my wife's car. I suppose the old one is in the Twilight Zone for those of you who are old enough to remember that show.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Harlan
    Actually he just bought it used off a lot here in California, and from what I can tell, the dealership changed the oil and just left the cap on the radiator support...with the crossover air tube for the air cleaner, I didn't even notice that it was missing on my initial exam ! Changing the oil for him right now !!
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    you could have just told us it was the "spetzer vavle" or some other non-existent part.. most of us would have believed you.

I tore into my dash several months ago to find out what was loose and rattling in there. Could not find anything loose, disgusted and PO'd, gave up on it for a several days. Finally noticed that the noise went away after I removed the papers that I had shoved between the drivers seat and the console. The speaker was vibrating the papers, it sounded like something loose in the dash.

I had another noise in the rear of the jeep that was driving me crazy, turned out to be the hitch pin through the receiver.

jeff
  • jakekjakek Member Posts: 3
    1997 Jeep Wrangler stalled and check engine light came on while driving. I have been told shows both the Camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor. Was told I could replace both or it could be the computer itself. Is there a way to know exactly what is wrong? I would hate to replace sensors and then have to replace computer. Appreciate any help! Thanks!
    Are you saying that you have codes that show problems with both CPS's, or that you've been told that the 'check engine' light means you have problems with them?

Either way it's unlikely that the PCM ("computer") is at fault.
  • jakekjakek Member Posts: 3
    I was told codes displayed indicate both the crankshaft and the camshaft sensors. I was told unlikely both would be bad so it could be the computer. Is there a way to pinpoint if it is one or the other and/or the computer? I hate to replace both sensors and then have to replace the computer. Thanks for any help!
    While it's unlikely that both sensors have gone bad at the same time, it's quite possible for one of them to be functioning at a less than optimum performance level, and when the other one failed you then had occasion to read the codes, one of which would already have been there had you looked previously.

One common cause of codes from those sensors is a high resistance connection at the harness connector. Next, rather than replace the sensors, have them tested. Both can be checked with an ohm meter.

Finally, if your PCM does turn out to have failed this post should cheer you up! ;)
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Well, my good Jeep Buds, the Old Tomster had a good time at Tellico. When I got back from that trip, I stayed home less than 24 hrs and then took a trip up to Hammond, Indiana, to see my old home town. That's why you haven't seen any posts from me this week.

Here are some pics from Tellico.

The first one is Thelma Jane on Trail 6. The second one is the stream crossing on Trail 5. The third is the famous Slick Rock on Trail 9. Only one Jeep tried that obstacle, and he didn't get too far.

Tomster
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Tom, is that Landon ahead of ya?

-Paul