Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

Comments

• cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    Hmm.. it must be due to the wheelbase... I should have waited for the TL type S :)... oh well... next car maybe...
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    I think the engine is one of the 2 or 3 best as it is (the others would be the BMW 3.0 6 and the Maxima plant). What I do hope they've done is provide for better feedback in the steering, and stronger braking.

If it's more power you want, according to AutoNews your best bet may be to wait for '05 or '6 when the TL may be released on a small version of the RL frame and with its new V8. That could be fun.

I've never owned a coupe. Do you folk find that you miss the other two doors?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Only when I have to pick up my kids from school.
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    My 98 CL has 63K easy miles and is almost perfect
    but the trade in value is only $10k.I need to be convinced to keep my car and not get the CRV I
    crave.I love the sportiness and luxury features of my car but I sometimes need a hatchback.I tried selling it for $13k but no takers.
    and there is nothing else you prefer on the CR-V over your CL, then I would say keep the CL.
    jwilson - yup, I would want the brakes to be bigger since I think that the brake pedal feels responsive as it is. Hmmm.. I gotta find that news about the next TL. As long as Acura can keep it reasonably priced then I am there!

2 doors? Not a problem, but I have to wonder about that hump in the middle of the legroom for the rear seats. They removed that from the Civic. They should do it for the FWD Accord platforms as well. I guess I would miss the middle seat in the TL sometimes. I like the exclusivity as compared to the TL, but that might means a lower resale value... who knows.

Tomsr - I'd keep the car until it is around 100k miles then sell or trade-in. That would mean another three years or so for you. Maybe there will be a wagon version of the Accord again.
  • danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    I have my first consistant rattle (it's not the sunroof), and I was planning on taking it to the service center soon when I get my oil changed. This is my first Acura so I'm not familiar with their customer service yet. My last vehicle was a Ford, so I'm used to hearing "there's not really anything we can do about that." Will Acura actually fix the rattle and try to make me happy? If anyone has any experience in this area, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.
    It depends - the rattle probably go away when the weather is warmer. I'd have to know how loud the rattle since some rattles are due more to rubbing of leather with rubber than bad assembly. The rattle is probably on the right side????
    you have a fifty percent chance on that one.

But on a new platform and V8 I'd bet it would be +$8k or even $10k, wouldn't you?

Take care.
    Joe W.
    well, they might use a new platform, but I can't imagine that they will use a V8 for the TL... a small chance for the RL as well.. who knows for sure. Although, I might imagine another model in the line-up that will use the RL platform. Something that will compete against the IS300 or the G35.
  • The TLS and CLS already compete to a certain extent with those models. With the intro of the 6 speed in the CLS, it will only add to the competetion.
    Personally, I think we will see an increase of CL sales, once the 6 speed is added.
    Honda is predicting a figure of 18,000 CLs per year. I like the "exclusivity" over the TL :)

I don't miss RWD for everyday driving in this car. My old RWD Olds wasn't half as fun as this car :)
    For the current (March 02) CL 6 at least Edmund's says some of the technology adjusts for torque steer AND makes it feel like rwd. Gettin' excited.

So far as the V8 goes, if they switch to that for the RL or any other, they will need a new platform. The current platforms are, as I understand it, designed exclusively for fwd. And yeah, cyranno, there's no reason from the company, to believe it's at all guaranteed. One other option being discussed (and in AutoNews) is to go to a larger V6 for the RL (no V8) and make it AWD. That would be nice, imo.

The mention of the TL didn't mention the CL at all, so our discussion of it is even more supposition than what is usual.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Yup, Edmund mentioned ATTS for the CL-S manual. Honda used that in the Prelude SH. That would make the car handle better, but I wish that they could put that in the automatic as well.

The current platform is a great way for Honda to cut costs and made almost 80% in profit for last year. I'd say that a larger V6 for both the TL/CL and RL would be a logical next step. They might switch to hybrids in the future... something else to consider. The V6 engines would be easier to meet both CAFE and emissions standards. AWD? That would be a plus for many up north from me :)

I think the CL will be around as long as the market is profitable for Honda.
  • motokichimotokichi Member Posts: 48
    cyranno99 and canadiancl,

I am guessing at the size of the dog, since i kept going down the road, not wanting to confront the mess that would be back there. there was a wad of fuzz around the right rear brake hose, so the dog clearly passed underneath. It looked almost big enough to be a hog, but hey, it was dark, and it ran too fast to be a hog. It did break the front spoiler, but not in a real noticeable way.

going back to the 50k miles comment, my wife commutes 110 miles round trip every day, and the car usually makes that trip on the weekends. things slowed down last fall after she found employment nearby, but this spring we are back to making the same commute.
    we've had the car since july 00 and other than the dog, it's been trouble free.
    "Ouch!!!", said the dog.
  • ticktock4321ticktock4321 Member Posts: 41
    Are all '03s getting the change? Can anyone tell if there is any amber in there? Thanks
  • Will they be made of clear plastic, so the $30K CL will look like a used boy racer Civic worth about $5K?
    Yellow calipers would help in that direction too.
    well... I almost ran over a dog that was indecisive... it stopped in the middle of the freeway then decided to run right in front of my car. He was almost roadkill. I think you might consider putting in a clear bra to protect your car from any more mess :)

2003 tail lights.... those are what I wanted my car when I decided to buy the CL because I thought that they look nice on the TL.... oh well.... a few more years .....
    yeah, i ran over one with a bicycle once. fortunately, it walked (actually, ran) away.
    you're lucky that dog has no bite! :D
    Now I recall that when I was about 16, and driving a '75 Civic, I hit a large German Sheppard. The thing crossed the street between cars right in front of me, I jammed on the brakes but couldn't stop in time. It picked itself up, didn't really look the worse for wear, and scurried away. I remember hoping that it wouldn't collapse and die a block later! Well, Civics were pretty light back then, about 1600 lbs.
  • I've heard that German vehicles are a bit sturdier than Japanese ones. Apparently, their dogs are too.
    you were lucky that the dog didn't take a chunk out of that little Civic :D I guess animals are more resilient than humans... we're fragile compare to them.

garypen - it's also true that those dogs are rear legs drive as well...
  • Unfortunately, they always need rear end hip work at about 8 years / 80,000 miles.
    I heard that they don't depreciate as fast as a Japanese dog either.... or a brit dog...
  • vineee1vineee1 Member Posts: 16
    hi,just got my zaino order with the "zfx" just wondering ,the little bottle with the zfx is approx. half full. is that how much i should have gotten or should the bottle have been full?? thanks in advance.

vinny
  • At least it wasn't half empty.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    This discussion has gone to the DOGS!! LOL....

12,300+ miles- no problems!

fastdriver
    on what's in the bottle.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    How much is it going to cost?
    No plans to get rid of car.
    97 CL 2.2.
    Appreciate advise and opinions.
    Thanks, Bob
    yeah, the Premium would suggest that the car is well-equipped ( you are almost maxed out with any comfort features) I test drove both models and I didn't notice a difference in noise level.

Bob - you should do it since you might have to replace belts, liquids and such... could be several hundreds dollars for that type of maintenance.
    I think the S engine really howls when you hit 4000 - 4500 RPM and the afterburner kicks in.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Is it possible to get the CL-S ('03) without the black leather interior? Is there a tan or other interior available?
    provided that you choose the right exterior color, it might be possible. ( you could call it a light tan color)
  • vineee1vineee1 Member Posts: 16
    i think u can get the tan (parchment)with a black,red,blue,or white exterior.. i take it u dont care for the black(ebony)
  • waferwolfwaferwolf Member Posts: 1
    My CL3.0 has the Boss audio system, but I think that the bass is not enough. So I am thinking about to install a subwoofer by myself.
    I'd like to hear your suggestion such as subwoofer choosing, good car audio dealer, some online information website or forum.
    Thanks a lot.
  • wolfxwolfx Member Posts: 72
    i know the blackwood is fake, but dont know if the brownwood is.. anyone know?
  • mdanielmdaniel Member Posts: 47
    Its all plastic.
    To all-

According to the current issue of Motor Trend, the 2003 Acura CL-S will be out this month with the 6-speed! Guess they do listen. I prefer the automatic,

Also, their long term test was good too except their CL-S had some rattles! This even astounded them considering Acura's reliability.

fastdriver
    crutchfield will give you a nice installation diagram and a harness kit with a purchase, so you might consider that even though they are generally more expensive than other mail order places.

dear motor trend,
    is rattling a reliability issue? true, it's annoying and sometimes an indication of shoddy craftsmanship, but it won't make your car die on the freeway, will it?
  • wolfxwolfx Member Posts: 72
    possibly, can the rattles be due to the laxed standards at the CL assembly plants in the U.S. ?
    I think so, although there are others who will discount this factor. My CL had developed more rattles within the 1st year than my wife's CR-V (built in Japan) in 5 years
    Of course Accords and TL's have been built here for a long time and we don't hear the compliants about rattles. I think it has more to do with it being a 1st year model. The rattles seem to be confined to a few specific areas. The moonroof (fixed by magic tape), the rear shelf (fixed with foam suffed between shelf and glass), something in the vicinity of the passenger door latch, and something around the stereo head unit. I have all 4. The first two have been fixed but I haven't seen the dealer about the last two.
    mdaniel -

Mmmm..... this rattle thing seems to be something new here. My CL-S will be 1 year old on 3/28. I have 12,670+ miles and NO problems, rattles, squeaks or leaks.

After owning the "award winning Motor Trend Car of the Year" for 1999, I can't tell you how thrilled I am with my CL-S in comparison!

All I can say is, so far, so good. I love this car!

fastdriver
    fastdriver-

Mine will be two years old later this month. The rear shelf rattle was present almost at delivery. The moonroof took a few months to develop but was fixed on the 1st try. The headunit rattle just appeared a few months ago. I have 34,000 miles. Don't get me wrong. Its a great car and the only thing I would trade it for right now is the 6 speed. But rattles on a car make it sound thousands of dollars cheaper. Its not like the cars rattle all over the place. Different members report pretty much the same rattles in the same places. So I'm hoping that its something that was fixed at the factory on later production cars.
  • elivingselivings Member Posts: 5
    Sorry if this has been asked a few times.... Does anyone know if the bulbs in the "road lamps" on a 02 CL can be replaced with a bulb from PIAA of a HID type? If so do you know the model number. Are would it even matter if the lense is not changed? Thanks. E.
  • In every test I've seen, PIAA always scores among the lowest, plus they tend to be the most expensive.
    FWIW
    elivings-

I replaced those lower, useless lights on my 01 CL-S with these:

208-M6-Plug in bulb-Single filament. Manufactory part no: 921,912. They were $7.99 each. I got them from http://www.eautoworks.com

They give a whiter light like the headlights instead of that yellowish light. I have had them since August. No problems. I leave my headlights on all the time my car is running. Hope this helps.

fastdriver
  • elivingselivings Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the input. elivings
This discussion has been closed.