Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

Comments

• verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    Just saw the CL ad where the couple is racing up the mountains for a house-showing appointment. The guy is staring over the cliffs, dreaming of driving his CL-S around all the curves again, and says "we'll take it" to the real estate agent.
    Acura has a great ad for this car!

I see plenty of CLs around. No one else makes affordable upmarket personal coupes anymore, so it makes sense for Acura to do so.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    verozahl-

LOL... That's a good one too. My favorite one is where the guy drives from NY- I think- to Maine for LUNCH! The guy in the restaurant asks if he's on vacation. He says no- LUNCH!! That's me! I love to drive this car.

The only thing I don't like about the ads is there is no talking until the END! I have the TV on next to me while I'm on the computer. I always miss their commercials unless I'm looking at the TV! They need to jazz them up a bit to catch your attention at the BEGINNING of the commercial.

fastdriver
  • Isn't ther also one where a guy from LA drives to SF for a blind date?

The one I don't care for is the one where they push the sound system. Quite frankly, it isn't a very good sound system. Not terrible. But, not very good.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    have it that Acura will kill the CL after the next TL redesign due to poor sales.
  • janjohnsonjanjohnson Member Posts: 9
    Yup. Heard the same thing. Here's the quote from ConsumerGuide review:

"Acura had planned an early sendoff for the 2003 CLs, which are now in showrooms, but the model's long-term future is in some doubt. That's according to one recent Japan-based report saying that Honda is thinking of dropping the CL unless sales improve fairly soon."

Not only that, here's a picture of the 2003 Accord Coupe that will probably have a 6-speed with 240 hp. Picture and info is from Edmunds. Check out the link:

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2003/honda/accord/2drcoupe/photo_1.html

Looks very much like the Acura CL but will probably cost $10,000 less. Bummer!

• Thank goodness for the poor sales. It enabled us to get a CL for under invoice.

IMO, I doubt very much the Accord coupe will be $10,000 less than a comparable CL. My CL was $25,595 in April 2001, with about $300 worth of dealer options at no charge. An Accord Coupe EX V6 was $23,000, IIRC. I was comparison shopping the two at the time.

Overall the CL is a much better car, even if they share "platforms". The sound system was better on the Accord though.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Under invoice?

Gee... I'm looking into the 2nd car thing now and keep wondering about that CL-S 6-speed... I wonder how much it'd go for...
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    I owned a 99 3.0 CL from May of 99 to March of 2001. Besides the rattles in the dash and mis-aligned body parts, it was a good car. I never had difficulty driving it in the rain. I would go up to 70 in torrential downpours here on the SoCal freeways (I know, not very smart). Never gave me any problems. Stuck to the road like glue. Never drove it in the snow though.

My 2002 Maxima feels more drifty in the rain than my CL ever did. That could have to do with the 17 rims and tires, though. Who knows.

Hope I helped!

Obi
  • tjbee1tjbee1 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your responses. when i first got my 99 cl, i drove it at 70mph in driving rain, and nearly drove it to heaven; it was all over the place. in dry weather, it grips like glue. also find it noteworthy that cl may be on its way out. one of the reasons i like the car so much it that it is a rare bird at relative low cost. obi, i read a # of your emails--surprised that you hung in this group. thanks again.
    sorry to hear that, obi. Has any doctor been able to help? :)
    But no! :(

I need more help than you will EVER know!

Obi
    And you just got engaged/married too, didn't you? I hope those mis-aligned body parts didn't ruin the honeymoon :)
  • mdanielmdaniel Member Posts: 47
    I got a 6 speed with navi for $31,800 including destination, spoiler, splash guards, and wheel locks.
    Congrats! Did you trade in your 2001 CL-S, or did you sell privately?

Just curious, but did you consider waiting for the G35 coupe, and did you cross-shop against cars such as the BMW 330ci?
  • mdanielmdaniel Member Posts: 47
    bodydouble-

I sold my 2001 CL-S w/navi and 38,000mi for US$22,000 privately. Classified ad in the county newspaper started Saturday, had an offer Sunday, closed the deal Tuesday morning. I didn't really consider the G35. I'm pretty loyal to Honda/Acura and didn't really like the looks of the G35. I didn't consider the 300ci either. For one, US$43-45k for a comparably equipped car would have killed my budget. And since I plan to keep this one a while, I didn't want a car that would kill me on maintenance after the warranty runs out. Besides, this is SoCal and every self-absorbed prick has a BMW. They're a dime a dozed out here. No thanks. I liked my 01 CL-S, just not the auto transmission.
  • badpiece1badpiece1 Member Posts: 1
    hello everyone, its been about a year since i posted a message. well, i have a 2001 cls i bought in june of 2001. i have about 28000 miles on the car on the streets of new york city. i was having exceleration problems. i took to car into acura. they told me the transmission had to be replaced. the transmission was changed at no expense to me. i find this strange considering the car is fairly new. it took about a week becuse they were having problems with the celanoids communication with then transmission. a day after i picked it up, the engine & vsa lights went on. took it back again and now they are telling me the celanoids arent any good and they had to be replaced again. if that doesnt work, they would have to change the transmission again. this car shouldnt be having these types of problems. i believe the new manual/automatic transmission (honda/acura) has it problems. has anyone here had a similiar problem and if so, what did you do. anyone who is famailiar with the lemon law, any advise would be helpful.
    I don't think you have a case, yet, for lemon law. The problem has been identified and Honda hasn't had enough cracks at it in terms of trying to fix the problem. Tranny replacement like what you've described is not uncommon for CL/TL unfortunately. Go read the TL thread in the Maintenance and Repairs forum about a lady who's having a similarly frustrating problem with the tranny in her TL.

Now, I'm not saying your case might not turn into one that qualifies for lemon law. So, my advice is to start documenting everything. By that I mean get copies of all service orders, write down everything the service reps say, even seemingly off-the-cuff remarks, note all the symptoms of the problem that you've encountered. If this case turns into a lemon case, all that will be invaluable. I went thru an arbitration case and that's what my experience was.
  • Go to the NYS website, and search for "lemon law". You'll probably find all sorts of answers there.
    Here in California, the manufacturer has four attempts to fix the problem before you can file. If it's safety related, such as airbags or brakes, I believe it's only one or two attempts.
    We haven't had any problems with our '01 CL, except for the moonroof squeal/rattle.
  • charliemikecharliemike Member Posts: 87
    This is just food for thought, I'm not saying it's the cause of your problems ...

It could be that the heat shield for the catalytic converter has broken its welds and is rattling. I think the shield is just tack welded on there.

A mechanic would be able to tell. *shrug*
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get the dealer to look at it the next time I'm in.
  • mapman1138mapman1138 Member Posts: 68
    ...but I'm going to go ahead and NOT complain about my car anyway. I took delivery of a 2003 CL-S 6-speed in late March, and I've put 5400 miles on it since then (add that to the 250 miles that were already on the clock, and total mileage is just shy of 5700).

The car so far has been nearly flawless. I typically use it for a 25 mile round-trip commute, all on surface streets, and in that role, it has returned a steady 21 mpg. I drove from Chicago to Dallas and back in late May, and the CL really hit its stride on the Interstate. Peak mileage just brushed 30 mpg with the cruise control set at 75 mph. The car is a wonderful highway cruiser, making the return trip (just under 1000 miles) non-stop, without any driver fatigue. Great seats.

Complaints: The fuel lid release can be balky, even after adjustment by the dealer service department. The engine idle seems a *bit* lumpy at times. Styling is a bit bland. The car rides too high on its suspension.

That's it!
    Wow, those would have been my complaints too! The ride height is the most perplexing. It doesn't affect the way the car drives (for me anyway), but it is weird that the Accord sedan actually seems to ride lower. A sedan of all things! One would have thought the reverse would be more logical. Wonder if the ride height is necessitated by wheelwell clearance issues caused by the wider wheels/tires on the CL-S?
    I wonder if Honda doesn't *expect* at least some of the Type-S buyers to do their own suspension tuning. Maybe they're in cahoots with Mugen, Comptech and Eibach. Food for thought, anyway!

Also, just a little nitpick - technically, the CL *is* a sedan. A 2-door sedan, but a sedan none the less.
    I never thought of that. Might be something to it, although I wouldn't think the CL-S would be that prevalent amongst the "rice" market. I think there are more tricked out Accord coupes.
    My younger brother actually likes the CL more than the RSX, but he thinks Benzes are tops, so you can just ignore him. >;p

Several of my friends have expressed desire for Accord coupes. The "old man and his wife" marketing for the CL is working, apparently, because young people don't want em as much as Accords. That's a pity, because the CL needs more customers.

mapman, personal luxury coupes have always been "2-door sedans." Big and rooooomy.
    I'm satisfied with my CL-S, but I would have gladly taken an Accord Coupe - except for the inability to combine the V-6 with a manual transmission. I'm actually a bit anxious to see what the new Accord will have to offer in this regard. I've heard rumors, but nothing concrete yet.
  • charliemikecharliemike Member Posts: 87
    From what I've seen, the new Accord is a total bomb (like Pontiac Aztek bomb), not "The Bomb".

Ugh ... what a waste.
  • All the Japanese automakers are using far too much ugly in their new models.They've always followed trends. Ugly shapes and plastic interiors are the current trend.

Even the new Mazda 6, which is easily the best looking of the new sedans on the outside, has that same "silver/gray plastic everywhere" interior that is in the RSX, Altima, 350Z, IS300, Celica, Rav4, etc.

I think they think it looks "sporty". I think it looks cold, harsh, and cheap. Give me wood, leather, and smooth lines anyday.
    Keep forgetting to check in here because this CL-S is so reliable compared to my former ride! ;-)) 16 months old, 16,700 miles, 4 dealer visits for oil/filter changes and tire rotations! That's it!

BEST car I EVER owned! 18 coats of Zaino so far- I think. Last coat applied last MARCH? and the car looks great! Been too busy doing other things. No time for Zaino! I'm losing my addicition here! LOL... If the car didn't look so good, I would have had about 10 coats of Z on by now! ;-))

fastdriver
  • 18 coats? Do you have trouble fitting into parking spaces at the mall?
    garypen-

LOL.. how'd I know that you would be the first to respond! Hate mall parking lots! Don't go there often. Nothing I have to buy!

As for the Z, I'm losing count. It's either 15 or 18 coats.

fastdriver
    PS Is this site SLOW today or is it my DSL? Just got a new eMac, so it can't be that! Seems to be taking forever to navigate. Could it be their NEW servers here?

fastdriver
  • They didn't have any men's computer's in stock? ;-)
    LOL.... I wouldn't own a PC if THEY paid me! My Macs have done everything that I want them to. STILL don't know WHAT a PC can do that my Mac can't. No viruses or security problems here! ;-))

Sometimes I think Chrysler is involved in the PC world with the way they work sometimes! ;-))

Anyone hear anything about any changes coming with the CL's or TL's?

fastdriver
    2004 TL based on new Accord, 2004 CL may or may not exist, depending on how Honda-Acura feels on Judgment Day. >:(
    verozahl-

Thanks. Too bad because I like 2 doors! Oh well. When my lease is up, there are plenty of other choices. The new G-35 Infiniti coupe coming out in Novemeber looks interesting.

fastdriver
  • Unfortunately, like so many other new Japanese cars, the G35 interior is hideous, like a low budget movie spaceship. The "edgy" exterior doesn't appeal to me either.
    The mechanicals sound great, though!
    garypen-

Take a look at some of the American cars with their new Star Wars looking interiors. Like they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If it comes to that, I'll take "UGLY" and RELIABLE anyday over good looking and unreliable!

My previous "looker car" was enough for me! I'll take my "boring" looking CL-S, reliable car anyday!

fastdriver
  • I have a CL too, bro. It's interior looks great.

I agree. A lot of ugly in many US cars, too. But, the new Japanese cars have more of that "Star Wars" stuff, easily. I've never seen so much silver/gray plastic in widespread use.

It's the current trend. And they have a very trendy culture.

As for ugly and reliable vs. good-looking and unreliable? It depends on how unreliable, because I refuse to drive an ugly car. Of course, beautiful and reliable would be my choice! :-)
    Cars, or women? :)
    Wouldn't it be too early to pass judgement on the G35 coupe's interior? After all, no one has seen one in the flesh yet.
    "What are we talking about here, guys? Cars or women?"

Must be women, because I don't think of Honda-Acura products as unreliable! >:)
  • I've seen pitchurs of it. To quote the horse from Ren & Stimpy, "No sir. I don't like it".
    You're lucky not many women cruise these forums :)
    Town Hall is now faster! If you were having troubles with your DSL, it wasn't your system, it was Edmunds. It was super slow for me, and I have a T1 connection, so what does that tell you?

Good to see it is working properly again!

Obi
  • lednameledname Member Posts: 96
    I'm eager to purchase a CL Type-S 6 Speed (no NAV). I'm trying to determine what a fair price is. Anyone have any purchase experiences?
  • vonlinzvonlinz Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone noticed a passenger seat rattle in their 2001 (or later) CL? I took it to the dealer who couldn't identify it after he fixed the moonroof squeal but it's definitely still there.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I apologize if this has been brought up before. Does anybody know the advantage of using an SOHC VTEC setup on the CL/TL Type S as opposed to the more traditional DOHC VTEC setup used in the high powered Honda 4s (& NSX)?

How does the LSD in the current CL Type s 6 speed compare to the ATTS in the Prelude Type SH? I can only think that the ATTS system is active and does not aid in launching the car from a stop, but is phenomenal in the corners while the LSD waits for wheel spin to occur and helps eliminate torque steer and makes the car easier to launch.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

But I think a SOHC design is less peaky. You can tune it for a flatter torque curve.

I think LSD basically activates when there is a difference in wheel speed whereas the ATTS will reallocate power based on a combination of wheel speed, yaw rate, lateral acceleration, and steering angle.
  • I thought LSD activated when you put the Grateful Dead on the truntable.
This discussion has been closed.