Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• mrdeeenomrdeeeno Posts: 53
    oh, and i had my bumper fixed (it had the film between the body and bumper sticking out.

and the right side of my hood was lower at the front by a 1/8", which i fixed myself by just unscrewing the "pad" underneath 1/2 turn.

that's it...all my other body panels and such match up...and i had one of the first ones out.

the dealer is another story though, so don't get me started on that.
  • All good points. Yes, every car has it's troubles. My Toyota Solara has not been problem free, but when it's 100% it is a fantastic car.
    I take it that most the flaws outlined in this forum will addressed with the 2002 model?
    I have tried to get info on the 2002 CL-S from Acura, but there is no info. I am curious as to what might be new to the 2002 model. I know Honda will make minor changes to tail lights and add/change colors from year to year, and usually make the major body style changes every 3-4 years. Not sure if this is the same with Acura.
    As for the IS300... I am sure it has it's flaws as well. The only reason I am considering it is because of the 4-doors. I like the TL-S, but I can get a better deal on a IS and I like the look of the IS better. Besides the IS, as with the CL are two different kinds of cars.
    Any info on the 2002 CL-S would be appreciated. Also, has anyone seen a CL-S in blue? I have never seen one on a lot before and I am just curious how the car looks in blue. I usually avoid the darker colors, but I do like the color in the brochure.
    Thanks-PNC
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    I have had my CL-S for a month now and not a SINGLE complaint, problem or rattle! I hope it stays that way. Gas mileage for these first 2,100 miles has never averaged less then 21.1. I love driving this car, but I have to slow down so I don't hit my yearly limit of 15,000! ;-))

If you go to the acura-cl.com forum, there is a picture of the new blue. I saw one in FL last week at the dealer in West Palm Beach. Looks sharp.

fastdriver

PS That forum is a lot more active then this one.
  • Fastdriver-
    Can you post the link for the pic of the blue CL? I couldn't find it on the site.
    Thanks-
    PNC
    phatnastycat-

It WASN'T easy, but try this- http://www.acura-cl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003341.html

fastdriver

• I really appreciate that link. I love the blue. I had a blue car ('93 Nissan NX2000) once before. It looked great on the car, but chips and scratches were hard to hide. Since then I have stayed with metallics (golds, silvers and now a pearl white). They seem to hold up well and hide the unavoidable chips and door dings.
    I woul like to see Acura make the pearl white available with the 2002 CL-S like is available with the TL-S. Though that blue will be tempting. I'll have to see which catches me the most.
    Thanks again for the link and info.
    phatnastycat-

No problem. It does look nice in person. Not sure if both the black and parchment interiors are available with this color or just the black. I think it would look good with the parchment.

Has your Solara held up ok? Nice car. My aunt has a 99 SLE with all the options except the moonroof. She's in her 80's! LOL.... Only has about 8,000 miles on the car. If you click on my name, I have links to all my pics on the net. Not sure if the Solara is in any of them.

fastdriver
  • Being a previous 1999 Acura 3.0CL owner, I have created a site for my 1990 BMW M3. If anyone wants to take a look at my new "baby" you can see it at:

http://stevebmwm3.tripod.com

Don't worry, I still have lots of respect for Honda/Acura products!

Obi

• My relationship with my Solara has been love/hate. I had a pulling problem with it for about 2-1/2 years that only recently seems to have been fixed. Outside of that problem, I love everything about the Solara. I'd even consider another one if I knew that it wouldn't be due for a redesign from Toyota during the next 3 years. I always like to get into a lease right at the beginning of car's design cycle. Call it a freakish desire, but I like to have the latest and greatest.
    I think the Solara is one of the best looking cars on the road. It rides great, and has one of the best factory installed stereos out there. The JBL system rocks!!! The Solara SLE is pretty loaded in options and quite a value for the price.
    I consider the Solara the top of the line in Toyota brand auto's, a Lexus with a "T" badge.
    I'd love to see Toyota put an HP boost in the next engine. I have heard 220, but I'd be nice to see 240+. Anyway....
    I think it is great that your Grandmother has one, especially at her age. She must be a young 80 :>)
    -PNC
  • tomsrtomsr Posts: 325
    I have 54k miles on my 98 CL and it has been
    flawless except for brakes wearing out.If I could
    change things I would reduce the turning radius,
    make the rear seat drop down for carrying large
    objects,and give it brighter headlights.I have had the oil changed every 3000 miles but am considering switching to synthetic oil and extending my oil change interval to 6000.Is this
    reasonable? I want to see how many miles I can
    squeeze out of this fine car.
  • ineto6ineto6 Posts: 161
    I used synthetic oil on my previous car for years and change the oil by myself - not fun changing oil filter for that four banger though. I can tell you that it is not a good idea for normal everyday driving - I do rev my car regularly. The advantage of synthetic oil is better performance at high rev and long distance driving. If you are going to leave the oil in for 6000 miles then it will get dirty due to normal wear - under most driving conditions there will be enough dirt collected for that long duration. Also, your car will use up some oil so you might have to add a quart or so if you are going to extend the oil change interval - by the time you drain the old oil at 6000 you might have less than 3 quarts if your car's capacity is around 4 quarts.

As far as brighter highlights, the 2001 CL and newer have standard HID - I really like it.
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    I helped my girl friend lease a CL last week. I love the car, and am kind of wishing I'd visited the Acura dealer one month earlier, before I leased my car. She's even given me seat memory #2. (I must be the luckiest man on the face of the earth, or was that
    Lou Gehrig?)
    But seriously, I do have one problem with the CL. There is hardly any bass from the sound system. I'm not a big Bose fan to begin with. But, even so, there should definitely be more low end there, even from Bose speakers.
    It almost sounds as if the speakers are wired out of phase. The sound system in my new Chevy (Chevy, for cryin' out loud!) literally blows it away. It's not what I would expect in a car of this class.
    Has anybody else noticed this with their 2001 (or any year w/ Bose) CL? If so, were you able to correct it (I hope)?
    Thanks.
  • indysgold1indysgold1 Posts: 6
    I have had no problems with my CL-s.I bought my car in march of 2000.I got a bra for the front,but I only use the nose part that goes on the hood.I haven't had any problems with door dings.My car is sundance gold,people ask me all the time if i had it painted. The TL-S does come in blue,but not sundance gold and the CL-S comes in gold but not blue.I dont know why they dont offer some brighter colors.Who wants to blend in with everybody else.I think you can only get blue ones in Canada. phil
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    The sound from the CL-S Bose system is pretty flat. It is certainly no match for the Nissan Bose system.
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    "Flat" is not the problem. If it were only flat, it would be OK. The term "flat" is usually used by audio professionals to mean uncolored and accurate. I have to turn the bass all the way up just to approach flat.
    My girlfriend didn't like the styling of the Maxima at all, so I doubt if the stereo would have swayed her. Actually, she dislikes Japanese styling in general, and was originally going to buy an American car. I guess she settled for an American built Japanese car! (Bear in mind that she is Japanese.)
    I'm going to call Bose on Monday, and see what can be done. I have a working relationship with their Pro division. Maybe they can steer me in the right direction.
    I would imagine that a lot of folks would like to know a simple way to improve the stock sound system without resorting to subwoofers and huge amplifiers.
    indysgold1-

They do make a blue now for the CL-S. It came out recently. I saw one a few weeks ago when I was in West Palm Beach, FL. There is a picture of one at http://www.acura-cl.com Try either a search for it- not sure how that works because I never used it- or try clicking on page 17 or so. The name, Aegan Blue, is in the title. I'm just thinking now- not sure if it's for the regular CL or the CL-S?? I have pics of my CL-S that I just got on March 28, 2001. So far, I'd have to say that it's the best car that I have ever owned. I think I've had some pretty nice cars over the years. I just want to get in it and drive ALL the time! I hit 2,500+ miles today since 3/28. If you click on my name above, you will find the link there.

fastdriver

• al2001al2001 Posts: 1
    I've taken both the CL and the S-type out for test drives, and found only two things that I really didn't like, but reviews don't generally mention them. First, the seats. They felt confining, with the side bolsters pushing into my back. I'm only 5'6" tall, and feel like my shoulder blades are being cut into. Also, the side mirrors are ridiculously large, blocking forward side vision. Anyone else have similar feelings? Did you get used to these things?
    but that may be because I'm fairly slim. I too find forward side vision restricted but it never occurred to me the mirrors are bigger than normal. I always thought it was due to the design and location of the A pillar.
    Gary, it'll be interesting what Bose has to say about the system. Let us know. BTW, how do mean you have a working relationship with them? You worked for them previously?
  • tomsrtomsr Posts: 325
    I agree the seats are not soft like a Buick but
    if you ever drive agressively they are appreciated
    more.A simple solution is to get sheepskin seat
    covers of a high quality which means thicker.I
    put just one on my 98 CL to reduce wear of the leather and it is more comfortable plus does not get hot.The other solution for me is to lose 50 lbs.