Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

rgs3rgs3 Member Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in Acura
Estimated99---

A short time after taking delivery of my 99 3.0CL
I noticed a funny burnt smell emanating from under the hood. It was especially notable upon coming from to a stop. At first I thought it was probably some coating on the engine (or spilled oil) that was burning off, but it did not let up after several weeks. I took it in to the dealer, who discovered a cut in the valve cover gasket(which had to have been there from the factory. They quickly replaced it and I have had no further problems of that type.
My CL is now 10 months old... a little over a month ago I decided to run the AC. I discovered that it did not work. A 'siren' type noise was audible when the AC was switched on. A trip to the dealer uncovered a broken seam in the compressor body.........all the refrigerant had leaked out. They replaced the compressor and related parts, and the critter works again. It took two days in the shop to repair this, as the parts were not readily available. I still like the car, especially because I got a great deal, and think I got a lot of car for the money.....BUT--- my last car was an Integra (made pretty much exclusively in Japan) and I had absolutely no problems with it (that were not caused by the driver) throughout its 165,000 miles. This makes me wonder about the quality control at Acura at present. Will I have more trouble? Does the fact that the CL is built in the US contribute deficiently to quality? Only time will tell.

Comments

• rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    OK, I'm starting to get interested in a Saab 9-3 Coupe primarily because the CL does not have enough headroom. Any reason to belive Acura will attempt to carve out more headroom in the near term, or perhaps offer a delete option for the sunroof?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I answered this question in the 2001 CL topic, but to keep it short, the answers are "no" and "no". I too would just as soon do without the sunroof, which is a useless appendage in the super-hot summers of the Calif Central Valley, but it is the perception of the market that this is something that helps define a "luxury car". Having bought the first 6 of what eventually became 13 Mercedes without a sunroof, this is of course so much marketing blather to me, but it is nevertheless what they believe, and I expect no changes for the life of the current design, which is likely to be 5 years.

Make sure you and your SAAB dealer have a good relationship - you're likely to get to know him pretty well. I might be more inclined to look to a BMW 3er, where at least you can custom-order a car without a SR, if you have the patience. As I mentioned in my other post, I like to sit as high as possible, and find the CL/TL to be a compromise in this respect, but it is not a show-stopper issue for me. Generally, EU cars are indeed better about this, and BMW in particular does not seem to flinch at the prospect of producing cars without holes in the roof.
    I've seen both of your posts, thanks. I just don't see myself as the BMW type at all, so that's out. Besides, I'd actually prefer a front-driver.

I have read very mixed reviews on the Saab 9-3, and the fact that a redesign is due for 2003 will not help resale values. At least it has a bumper-to-bumper 50k warranty (I hear its needs it!). However my current car is 11 years old next month, 175k miles and counting. I need something new, and soon!
    ...any other suggestions in the $28-30k range?
    Yeah, a couple come to mind, but you might have to spend a bit more or less - I've tried the IS300, and it is impressive. Small overall, but headroom is not a problem. Any VW is something you should think about - a Passat is a wonderful design, though like SAAB, it would be a good idea to plan to keep a seat at your dealer as a regular thing. I tried the Toyota Solara when it first came out, but compared to the CL/TL the body is willowy and there are a lot of extraneous motions and vibrations as a result....might not bother you, though.

And dare I say it, the plain old Honda Accord [two of which are currently in our garage, at least temporarily], might be something to think about, though most of the 6s are EXs, which means the roof will have a hole. However, it is my experience that the EX V6 is a significantly and noticeably roomier car inside than the TL. Not much cachet, but most of the virtues of the TL at a price that will pay for a lot of vacation or whatever...[EX V6s in our neighborhood change hands pretty routinely at around $22.5-22.8k]. Std equip includes leather, side bags, CD [but no tape]...just a thought...
    Thanks for the suggestions... or course only the Accord is available as a coupe, although I think the 2002 A4 will offer a coupe at somepoint in the model year.

Solara just doesn't do it for me. Accord might be a possibility, but yes I was looking for something more upmarket this time... hence my original interest in the Acura without account for the headroom problem.

So far the Saab is the only contender... want more choices!
  • axc146axc146 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have any suggestions for bodykits or performance parts for the 2001 CL? I want to put a spoiler on mine. Any suggestions?
  • wgimanwgiman Member Posts: 1
    Is there an outside temperature indicator in the 2001 CL like there is in RL?????
  • hal2001hal2001 Member Posts: 16
    Yes, there is an outside temp indicator in the CL.
    It is part of the speedo display. Only thing missing is an electronic compass.
  • estimated99estimated99 Member Posts: 6
    i have a 99 2.3 CL ---on the highway in 5th gear -going about 80mph --the Tach sits at about 3000RPMs --doesnt this seem like alot --55mph is no longer a crusing speed --id say most people drive somewhere in the 70s and myself right up at 80 on my drive to work ---3000RPMs at 80mph seem like alot?
  • doncheydonchey Member Posts: 1
    I drove this car and was VERY impressed. Quick as a cat and great on the handling. The car looks to be priced right. Can anyone suggest what's a good price? Looking to add the NAV system. Los Angeles area. Also, if you own one of these already, what's the good, bad and ugly? Thanks. dave
    Go to topic 1819 in this forum - but brace yourself, mgt. has not been doing its job, and there are over 1500 posts on the thread. Take a look at the last couple of hundred, and you will get the answers to your questions. In NorCal, a Nav-S would go for $30.5 - $30.8, depending on color and dealer inventory. Base CLs, non-nav, are routinely advertised for $26.8. Have fun shopping...
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Just wondering how all of you find the fit and finish on your CL's. I just took delivery of my CL-S and find the hood/front fenders/headlights very poorly fitted. The hood gaps between the left and right fenders are uneven, there is a gap between the bottom of one head lights and the bumper, etc. Can these body panels be adjusted to make them fit better?
  • wsk0wsk0 Member Posts: 2
    What fit and finish??? This has been a common problem with 2001 CL models. The only misalignment the dealer was able to improve [not fix] on my CL-S was the alignment of the hood which was too far forward and overhanging the bumper at the front. My car has most of the issues you refer to plus the tunk is misaligned somewhat [not as bad as the front,] the passenger's door is misaligned where it meets the front bumper and the center console is skewed [or something] so that the glove box door, NAVI system display, and radio don't properly align. And don't get me started on the rattles!!!

But, I have no one to blame but myself!!! I saw many of these things when I picked up the car but I didn't want to wait to order another and didn't know if another one would be any better. [It probably would not have been!]

Let us know if your dealer is able to fix any of your issues! Also, you should use the Acura 2001 CL -- Part 2 topic as that's where we're hanging out!
    I feel for you, bro! At least mine hasn't started rattling (yet). It just ticks me off big time to pay this much for a car and end up with GM or Chrysler quality. I've vented and ranted at Acura 2001 CL -- Part 2 also.
  • drewwho_2000drewwho_2000 Member Posts: 1
    Wow. I never knew about any of these problems. I just bought my CL-S a little over a week ago and the first few days I just sat in it and marvelled at how nice everything was. I had the upgraded premium black wood kit and it all lines up perfect. Same with all the body lines. Guess Im lucky, hope I dont get any rattles, those are annoying.

I was looking into getting a corvette as well, and I would get so pissed looking at them. Everything was out of alignment on them, and the interior was cheap and rattled even when new. Not to mention I drove some a year and two years old, they were nasty.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    I own a 99 Acura 3.0 CL and when I bought it, it started having rattles. I was back and forth to the dealer getting them fixed, and after the last time it hasn't rattled anymore. I have 24,000 on it now and it is superbly quiet. Who knows? Maybe these cars need time to settle?

Obi
    99 3.0CL
    White/Parchment
    24,000 great miles
  • dean078dean078 Member Posts: 16
    i had one rattle that i fixed myself. i also fixed some possible 'suspects' in the trunk area which i probblaly wouldn't hear if it did rattle. the big rattle was where the center high mount brake lamp was...the bottom part of the edges of the plastic vibrated against the very very bottom of the glass, so i just stuck 2 3/4" square pieces of foam mold replacement there and no rattles since. took 5 minutes to do, but 2 weeks for me to track down the rattle.
  • rev4rev4 Member Posts: 38
    I have 28000 miles (low miles!) and still love this car. I always look forward to driving it....a good sign that you like your car! I still good "looks" and "comments" about the CL. Although the new cl is prob a better car in some ways.........I don't think the looks are quite as elegant as the original design...but I suppose "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...any way..........still love my cl!
  • rev4rev4 Member Posts: 38
    In the previous post in the third line read "get" instead of "good"!!!!!!!!!
  • dgsgdgsg Member Posts: 29
    National Sports Bar & Grill,West Covina, Fashion Plaza, Sunday September 24th, 10:30 AM. If enought people respond that they can
    make it, I will check with the manager and see if we can get our own room. Bring your friends!!!
    What the hell did that last post mean?? What is an FL fan?

????????????????????????????????
  • rgs3rgs3 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone definitively tell me what areas of the seats of a '99Cl 3.0 are REAL leather? Also, what about that little curtain of leather-looking material on the door? I detailed my car today, and I don't know what cleaner/protectant to put where.
    I think only the seating surfaces are leather. The side of back of the seats are vinyl. And I'm pretty sure the material on the door is also vinyl.
  • delawdelaw Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 3.0CL (29,500 miles)developed an interesting problem this weekend.

When I place the car transmission in "reverse", a very loud "screeching" sound comes from the front passenger side wheel.

In forward gear, the sound is much softer, but still noticable.

This sounds to me (am I am not a mechanic) like either a bad wheel bearing or a stuck break pad.

At any rate, I will take to the shop tomorrow (Monday) morning.

I decided not to drive the car on Sunday, so my plans are shot.

I live 120 miles from the nearest Acura dealer, do I am going to take it to my local mechanic.

How does Acura reimburse for warranty work?

Should I have the car towed?

What does the problem sound like to you?

Thanks,

David
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    I would call Acura's assistance line (don't know it by heart.) They may tow to the dealer. When you find that number in your owners packet, you'll find instructions on coverage of such issues.
  • ddg2ddg2 Member Posts: 2
    I CURRENTLY OWN A 1995 INFINITI G20. ALTHOUGH I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH THIS CAR AND LOVE THE HANDLING, THE ACCELERATION IS A LITTLE SLOW. I AM LOOKING AT A USED 3.0 CL (A 1997) AND ALSO A '97 CADILLAC CATERA. AT THIS POINT I AM LEANING TOWARD THE CL BECAUSE OF ITS SPORTIER APPEARANCE AND FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD, BETTER RELIABILITY. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD GIVE ME SOME REALLY GOOD REASONS WHY I SHOULD GO WITH THE ACURA WEATHER IT BE BAD THINGS ABOUT THE CATERA OR GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE ACURA.

THANKS
  • pblevinepblevine Member Posts: 858
    You are mixing apples and oranges. It all depends on what you want in a car. Just for yourself, try to define 1)Your real requirements, 2)Your wish list, and 3)Your gut reactions to various auto attributes. With that, you can form your own conclusions based on critical thinking and practical experience. Otherwise, you could just as easily have included a Hummer and a Geo Metro.
    Acura is very reliable. Parts are expensive, like brake calipers, rotors, and exhaust. Acura typically will go longer without squeaks and rattles than Cadillac. The Caddy probably has a whole lot more toys than an Acura at the same price point. Acura will hold its value better.
  • markz2kmarkz2k Member Posts: 112
    You might want to look in the Maint/Repair conference, there's a topic about Catera's. The '97-'98's seem to have a LOT of problems. There's no question in my mind the Acura will be far more reliable.

I drove a Catera and an Acura 3.2TL at the Edmunds Live! event in LA last week. There was no contest between the 2, the TL was far and away the better choice. The Catera was surprisingly gutless, and handled poorly. My opinion only, of course.
  • silver462silver462 Member Posts: 2
    Hey yall! Im 15 years old, and i just bought my very own brand new 2001 Acura 3.2 CL! I've only had it for a month now, and i havent experienced any major problems with it. One tiny little problem was that the plastic parts inside the car (that is, the little things that go under the seats, or the little pieces that open and close storage compartments, etc.) feel cheap and have fallen off already, and i have no idea (and no time) to get them back on. But so far, i love the car. The ride is responsive and refined, the interior reminds me of a lexus (so luxurious!), and the exterior design with its rounded tail is nearing on "sexy". Its a very different, attractive, smoothe styling, especially for an Acura. I read reviews about how great and powerful the CL-S is (i got the less powerful CL), and it makes me regret a little that i didnt get that instead. Of course, if i had asked my dad about the CL-S i probably would have pushed the envelope w/ him a little too much and i would probably end up with some cheapo Corolla. But in truth, aside from the 17 inch wheels for better handling, there is no difference in exterior/interior look, only a more powerful engine. and when you're 15, a racing-quality engine is pretty much your last priority. Even so, i cant take this smooth and even powerful 225 HP V6 3.2 Liter VTEC engine for granted. Its similarly (but a little less $$) priced competitor, the BMW 323i, only has 170 HP 2.5 liter engine, which the Acura blows away in speed. But its real competitor, as far as engine/torque/features is the BMW 328Ci, which costs $10,000 more and still has less HP than the CL. So why spend all that extra cash for a car that's so similar to the Acura (and still slower)? Probably for the name "BMW" on the front of the car. But dont let that trick anyone into buying that BMW...you can get all the 328 and more in the Acura CL which costs so much less and is truly more impressive, inside and out.
  • silver462silver462 Member Posts: 2
    hey again. Has anyone had buyer's remorse when they buy their new cars? That is, they love their cars (or they dont, i dont know), but looks at another car driving on the road, and maybe wishes he could drive that car instead of his. I'm having that same problem, to a small degree. I'm looking at the Audi A4 2.8, and thought it might be cool to have that car. But i know that the acura's features and luxury interior appearance blow away the A4's. Inside, the A4 still looks like a volkswagen. and the A4 is slow and lethargic. but i cant get over the attractive exterior look of the A4, and in that aspect, its a genuine Audi. I wouldnt trade in my CL for an A4, but im wondering how i would look in an A4 2.8. Might be nice to drive it for a week or so. Can anyone who reads this give me their opinions on the A4 2.8 compared to the CL? Thanx.
    You've got a licence at 15? What part of the country are you from. And you're buying Acuras and Audis at 15? Your last name is not Gates, is it? :)
    As for buyer's remorse, I don't know if that's what I would call it, but yeah, the day after I take delivery of a new car, I would start thinking about what would it be like if I had bought something else. I think all car guys do this. It's like with women. Even if your wife looks like Miss America (mine doesn't), you would still look at, and think about, other women!
    Well, damn!

Sounds like you got some money you lil' bugger!

Obi
  • zoinkzoink Member Posts: 3
    re: buyers remorse

Everybody gets buyers remorse. Don't worry, people are looking at your ride and thinkin the same thing!

As far as my question .. I am ready to buy a black 97 3.0 CL Premium with 18k miles. The car is in decent shape cosmetically and the engine is very quiet. There is a scuff on the very back crease of the trunk which really bothers me. Also, the vinyl that meets the leather is starting to separate on the drivers seat. I also find little white dots on the leather. I feel that the dealer should take care of the cosmetic faults (which he said he would) but we all know how this goes. If they do an average job at fixing these blemishes, Is $18,000 a fair price to pay the dealer?
    For such low miles it sounds like that car is beat up a little. I would have an independent mechanic look it over good before buying.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    paying $18000 on a 3 year old cl?? that's too much.... buy a 2000 leftover accord coupe-- new. agree?
    re: 97 3.0CL Premium for $18,000

I won't pay that unless the trunk is touched up and the seats are taken care of. The car was a trade in by an older couple who didnt put many miles on it (6k per year). I think the driver was probably a heavier guy that didn't really take care of the interior. I'll wait until the dealer prepares the car for the final sale then take it from there.
    I haven't seen any 3.0CL Premiums less than $18,000 with less than 20k miles. If you have, please direct me to that dealer!
  • davejohndavejohn Member Posts: 5
    I have read nothing but good things about the redesigned Acura coupes. I am new to this posting and would like some assistance. I live in a smaller town where there is one Acura dealer, and he really won't deal. I have also heard that the Cl and CLS can possibly be purchased at a discount. I am interested in a three year lease or purchase and was wondering what other CL or CLS owners paid/leased their Acura coupes for. Any assistance would be appreciated.
  • mtv2mtv2 Member Posts: 1
    I have had a 2001 CLs since May and have really enjoyed the car. Just now have it at the dealer to get the annoying moon roof rumble fixed along with a couple other small things.

As a loaner, the dealer gave me a '99 CL 3.0. It's nice to be able to compare the two, and to be honest, I'm pretty impressed by the '99's performance. It seems to be a little smaller than the new model, but that fact notwithstanding, it's a pretty quick car. Good, quiet acceleration - better than I expected.

I really like the styling of the '01 much better, but I can see why people would want to own the previous CL models as well. Just thought I'd throw in a good word on a car I had previously be skeptical on.
  • dean078dean078 Member Posts: 16
    the only remorse i have is wishing i didnt' buy a new car at all for graduation considering my work involves being away from home and my car is at home in the garage...depreciating every day.

that and when i see yugos!!
  • pwc1078pwc1078 Member Posts: 2
    davejohn and the rest of you,

About purchase price. I'll tell you my situation here outside of Philadelphia. Originally, I was going to lease the 2001 3.2 CL. With $1000 down, 15,000 miles a year for 36 months, the dealer offered $469 a month. I then waited (as you should) and I got him down to only 429 a month.

After more contemplating, I decided that buying would be the smarter thing to do. Right now, I am at a standstill. $1,000 down, $530 a month for the CL and $1,000 down, $570 a month for the CLS.

I have been bent over backwards deciding on this topic. I am right out of college and this is my first car buying experience. I don't know if I should spend 25% of my monthly disposable income on the payments or just buy an Altima or something and save up some money.

The price of luxury is costly, but I think it's worth it. This car is an absolute gem. The driver's seat wraps your back like a glove, the acceleration is surprising fast, the interior is very luxurious with all the bells and whistles. Acura is not sneaky since all of their accessories are STANDARD. No hidden charges for options like leather, heated seats and mirrors, 6-CD BOSE(cl) you name it. (except for navigation system).

I say go for it since I think I just convinced myself to do the same. Let me know what YOU'VE been offered so we can compare prices.
  • djdezdjdez Member Posts: 110
    To all those considering LEASING a 3.2 CL-P ... NOW seems to be a half decent time to do it ... I just got mine a few weeks ago, and I think the prices might still be getting better. I saw a number of ads listing offers of $299-$329 a month with anywhere from $2500 - $4500 due at lease signing.

Someone above mentioned $429 a month w/$1000 down ... was that PLUS inceptions ??? or was the $1000 - TOTAL OUT OF POCKET ??? I'm also assuming tax was NOT included ...

I thought about buying, but it's just TOO expensive, plus I like new cars every few years. Even if you DO buy it, 4-5 years from now, you'll definitely be wanting a new car, if not SOONER.

My deal is for 39 months/12,000 miles per year, and my payment is $340 per month and that INCLUDES tax (here in NJ) .. my TOTAL OUT OF POCKET money was $2000. Around $1400 of that consisted of down money ...

This car CAN be had at INVOICE -- you just gotta shop around !!!

Hope this helps someone ...
  • snuffstersnuffster Member Posts: 1
    Selling my 2001 Type S Silver with wing and Air deflector. I'm in Philadelphia. Selling for 26,500 obo. Only 6,000 miles. E-mail me at kristoffermurphy@aol.com if interested.
    Is $18,000 too much to pay for a 97 3.0CL Premium with 18k miles? Warranty is still active until 09/01. I've already talked the dealer down $2,000 (was 19,995). He got it the day I spotted it as a trade so I know he bought it cheap.

Let me know
  • pwc1078pwc1078 Member Posts: 2
    I wrote a message earlier describing the lease offer I got for the 3.2 CL -- 1000 down, 15000 miles, 36 months for 429 a month. The $1,000 down I refer to is TOTAL DUE AT INCEPTION--post tax, tags, destination everything. (the sale offer prices referred in my previous message are post-everything as well). I just wanted to clear that up for the person who assumed otherwise.

As for the person who is selling his CL-S for 26,500, it sounds like an ok deal, but I am more likely to buy new. After tax and financing, it would be just as much if I were to buy a new CL.
  • jayz2jayz2 Member Posts: 2
    Just got my new CL-P. Love it. Drives like a dream. My only complaint is that it does not have body side molding. Even Civics and all other cars built in the last 10 years have it. I know-it would lose some styling, but it would protect it in the parking lots that I have to go to. Is it available anyplace? Thanks.
  • jayz2jayz2 Member Posts: 2
    Just got my new CL-P. Love it. Drives like a dream. My only complaint is that it does not have body side molding. Even Civics and all other cars built in the last 10 years have it. I know-it would lose some styling, but it would protect it in the parking lots that I have to go to. Is it available anyplace? Thanks.
  • leighpleighp Member Posts: 1
    HI, I was wondering if anybody out there knows anything about buying the New Acura CL type S for the invoice amount, if you could please let me know at LDaBudge@aol.com . I have been looking around but there is only one dealer located in Roanoke and I want to explore more but, I do not know where to start. Please help!! Also I have a 1999 4-Runner for sale, it's a limited and if anyone is interested please email me. Thanks :)
  • davejohndavejohn Member Posts: 5
    I have leased my last few cars and the nicer the car (with a higher residual) the better the lease deal. I have shot the Acura dealer an offer of $450 per month (this includes tax @ 6.5%) with security and first month payment down. This is for the type S, and for a three year time period. He said he would check and get back to me, so I will let you know what happens. That seems to be in the ball park with the other responses, but I will stand firm on the $450. Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.