Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    We're looking hard a new Unlimited and I hope the Jeep experts here can help me with some info. The Jeep will be my wife's car during the week; less than 5K town miles a year. Several times a year we'll use it exploring N. AZ so we want trail capability but not hard-core rock climbing. The Rubicon (add $4400) with lockers at both ends seems overkill to me. I've done some offroading in Monteros (had 3) and never encountered a situation where the limited slip wasn't enough to keep us moving. I'd opt for a rear locker if I could, but not both F&R.

I was turned off by how Jeep packages the options, and the important ones like HD axles and lockers can't be ordered individually. (I know..its part of the selling game.) The Rubi supposedly comes with an "Offroad Pkg", but its not explained and certainly isn't the $2500 O/R pkg on the Wrangler accessories web page (that includes a winch). It seems to me I'd do much better with a std Unlimited and putting the Rubi upcharge into aftermarket equipment.

OK, now for the questions:
    Does anyone know the gearing and final drive ratio for the automatic? Does it run OK on 87 octane at 5000 ft? Does the torque converter in the automatic lock in 4wd-lo? Can you restart the automatic while its in gear? The Jeep website is just about useless for detailed info. Thanks in advance for responses.
  • myboybluemyboyblue Member Posts: 56
    I'll also need a "channel adaptor"??

Yes you will need to purchase a channel adaptor. There are 2 different types or channels: drill and no drill. I would recommend the no drill.

will the adaptor need to be removed when the soft top is raised back up?

No you will not have to remove (at least on the current TJ's).

Hope this helps and if I missed anything I'm sure someone else can fill in the blanks.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    .........saw several posts about disassembling the sway bar(s). Huh?

Disconnecting the sway control bar allows for much greater articulation of the front axle. The existing connection links can be unbolted and pulled up out of the way, or 'quick disconnects' are available aftermarket items from various manufacturers to allow for disconnection and reconnection by the pulling or replacing of a pin.

Disconnection, or the use of other devices to allow greater front axle articulation, can be regarded as virtually essential to get full use of the Wrangler's capability offroad.
    OK, now for the questions:
    Does anyone know the gearing and final drive ratio for the automatic? Does it run OK on 87 octane at 5000 ft? Does the torque converter in the automatic lock in 4wd-lo? Can you restart the automatic while its in gear? The Jeep website is just about useless for detailed info. Thanks in advance for responses.

Manual and autos use the same final drive ratios, Rubicons get 4.11:1 and non-Rubicon Unlimiteds get 3.07:1 as standard, with 3.73:1 as an option.

87 octane is the recommended grade, but I can't speak from personal experience at 5000ft..

The t/c does not lock in 4WD-Low.

No manufacturer makes an automatic vehicle that can be started in gear for obvious safety reasons. The interlock is not hard to bypass but there's no reason the vehicle should stall, and if it did it can easily be restarted in Neutral while holding it with the brakes
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    no such thing as a nuisance question,,,

Regarding your mirror question. I've been driving with the top down / doors off for the past month. we've had VERY LITTLE rain here this summer. the first thing i did after getting the doors off was notice how badly I needed side view mirrors.

I ordered safari mirrors, you get 2 for the price of 1 quick release mirror.

they work great around town, on the highway the wind does shake them. they are very easy to install, they just drop into the upper door hinge and tighten down with a lockwasher and nut.

heres a link to them on quadratech

http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?T1=11046+99&UREQA=1&UREQB=2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&- - FNM=00&checked=Y

Jeff
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    Related question: does disconnecting the swaybar improve the articulation of a stock, non-lifted suspension? Thanks!
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    Jeff:

I saw those on the Quadratec site, but when it said for "safari doors", I blinked. Wasn't exactly sure what that meant (i.e., fitting an 05 TJ), so I mentally excluded that product for the quick release mirrors.

Thanks for the tip. I'd obviously prefer to go with those, price-wise!

Randy
    ...sway control bar allows for much greater articulation....

I've been told often I articulate quite goodly....sure didn't know sway bars could do the same! ;)

Seriously, I now know what you mean. I'm surmising this disconnect is not done prior to arrival at your place of play, but at the site of the off-roading? Your final sentence/paragraph summed it up perfectly. Well said.

Thanks!

Randy
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Randy:

Disconnecting the sway bar, as Mac told you, gives much better articulation than you would have while connected.

Why is this important? It helps keep BOTH tires on the ground while negotiating obstacles that would otherwise cause you to lift a tire completely off the ground.

With an open front differential, when one tire is off the ground, you cannot count on the other tire to pull. The tire that is in the air spins uselessly, and the other tire just sits there doing nothing. This is where a locker comes into play. A locked differential will make that tire that is still on the ground pull instead of just sitting there.

So, even though disconnecting is a good thing whether the front differential is locked or not, it is especially beneficial with an open front differential.

I have to admit that I just leave my sway bar disconnected full time, but you get MUCH more body lean in corners when the sway bar is not connected. I just take corners nice and slow, but if I ever needed to make an emergency manuever, I could lose control easier with that sway bar disconnected.

So, the proper way to do things is to disconnect after arriving at the trail head and reconnecting before leaving for the day.

Another advantage that you can give yourself is to air down the tires. The terrain that you will cover will determine how important airing down will be, but for almost any conditions, airing down the tires will enhance traction.

Unless a person has bead locks, it is not good to air down below a certain pressure. For most wheels and tires, a person can safely air down to about 15 psi, or maybe a little lower. I have never run less than 15 psi on the trails, and I usually don't even air down at all at Turkey Bay due to pure laziness.

Tomster
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?

Articulation (Also called "Flex") with Sway Bar Disco'd

Extremely well said and explained (although I did have to read your post 5 times to understand everything...no reflection on you, just me cocking my head and going, "huh"?..oh, I get it!)

Your accompanying picture, while sorta painful for a novice for me to even look at, shows me exactly the "articulation" mentioned. Oh, to think I'll someday put eXcalibur in this type of situation...poor guy. Well, I guess it's comparable to letting a thoroughbred do what he loves most; Run fast,hard, and long.

Thanks to all my mentors.....

Randy
    Related question: does disconnecting the swaybar improve the articulation of a stock, non-lifted suspension? Thanks!

Absolutely!
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    "Does it run OK on 87 octane at 5000 ft?"

My Unlimited does quite nicely with 87 octane at 6,000 feet. I haven't taken it over 7,000 feet yet, so I don't know about how it'll do there, but I've never noticed any difference between sea level and 6,000 feet (which mine does every workday) and I always run 87 - with the number of miles I drive a day (150 plus) I can't afford to use anything else!
  • nellosfansnellosfans Member Posts: 1
    Hi we just purchased a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited & had issues with it on the drive home. We were on the Interstate (going 65) and all of a sudden the transmission sounded strange and it rev'd really high. We called the dealer and ended up driving it back in (it went into limp mode -"for safety") and we could only drive about 35 mph. They checked it out and figured (after talking with the national people in Detroit because the error code was unrecognized) that it was a transmission valve body issue. It has been replaced and they said it will be fine - along w/there are no issues for it having rev'd so high for several minutes. Should we keep this Jeep or search for a new one. It is our option.... ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! :)
    One more specific question on your channel/header recommendation ....do you have one on your jeep, and if so, which brand? Looking at the tops on Quadratec, it appears each brand requires a different adaptor.

The following is a mesh top that looks good for my needs, and requires a specific adaptor. However, it doesn't specifically say if, in fact, the soft top will fully raise with it installed. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Randy

http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?T1=11024+511&UREQA=1&UREQB=2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4- &FNM=00&UID=2005080317430139
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    There's no way I would ever want to infringe on Tomster's copyrighted "Yehaw" - - but I am of the opinion that he's reflected every time one of us uses it! ;) It's a "Tomster thing".......

(Just to safe and avoid the lawyers, I spelled it differently....... :P )
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    Ironcially, I'm going to school to become...ahem...a lawyer...

Ryan
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats... do you have barristers and solicitors up there or is that just in Rumpole over the pond? Be sure to stop in when you need a break from the books. :-)

Steve, Host
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    Yep, barristers and solicitors...straight from England, though our version(s) mean slightly different things. Weird, eh? (threw in the 'eh' for effect! lol). I'm still in my undergrad (probably last year), but law school is the only ultimate goal, at least still and so far.

My jeepin' has certainly been a good way for me to unwind, and now that I'm beginning to off-road, perhaps too good, if you know what I mean...hope the grades don't plummet! Anyway, sorry...back to Wrangler talk... ;)

Ryan
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    Personally, I would not buy the "it will be fine" line. It IS a brand new vehicle. Assuming it was the valve body, who knows what might have been lodged in it or bypassed when it stuck. I would ask for (insist) on either a new (not rebuilt) replacement transmission or $0 deductible extended warranty to the mileage or time duration of your choice.
    Should we keep this Jeep or search for a new one. It is our option....

I would have though it's a no brainer. Over-revved Wrangler with repaired valve body, or factory fresh new one.....................hmmmmm, which should it be? :shades:
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    I wouldn't care for the mesh top because I assume it is not waterproof. I get plenty of wind in with the top down and doors off, so I don't mind a solid bikini top.

I have the non drill type header and like it overall. I would prefer the drill type if I was buying now. My non drill type has to be removed to put the soft top up. The drill type does not have to be removed. Mine is a bestop header I believe.
    It is hard to say what the best way to have mirrors when you are doorless.

I went with this product.
    http://tinyurl.com/cfevq

It will permantely move your stock mirrors on to the body. Although the passeger is not usable with my half metal doors on. I have my driver mounted on the body but left my passenger on the door so I can use it when my door is on. When I am doorless I just have my drive side mirror and review mirror which is plenty for me.
    Anything new?
    I guess I haven't been around in awhile (nothing new there :) ). I hope all is well with everyone.
    I would look to buy some carpet used. A lot of people pull the carpet from their jeeps and don't put them back in, so it is basically new. I haven't used my carpet and should of sold it a long time ago.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Thanks to 99tj, mtngal and goducks1 for remarks regarding long trips in their Jeeps.Conn. to Fla is looking better. Three days at 7 hrs per day should get me to Fla or the nut hut. Thanks again. KB2
    When I first got the Unlimited with its 30" tires, I checked the odometer against a GPS. The mileage came out about 2% short, which didn't particularly bother me. This past weekend we put new BFG AT tires on. While I looked longingly at the 31's, I figured out the extra cost vs. what I would gain and bought the 30's (only bought 4 instead of 5). I've noticed that my daily mileage has changed - instead of driving 154 miles a day, I'm driving 153. I know that isn't a big amount, but for some reason, I had the impression that the BFG's were slightly smaller than the Goodyears, not the other way around. Looks like I'll need to get the GPS out this weekend and check it with the new tires.
    One last comment about long trips in a Wrangler - when we took the trip to B.C. we had a choice of 2 vehicles - a 2000 Tacoma 4 banger that got much better gas mileage, or the Wrangler. We chose the Wrangler because the seats were far more comfortable, and there was just no way that the money saved would compensate for such a long, uncomfortable trip.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    texasjeep is absolutley right, the passenger mirror is unusable with those brackets. I tried for a weekend with my Full doors and it drove me nuts. I had to take them off. I think I'm gonna go the way of the quadratech safari quick mirrors or something similar.

-Dan
    Boy, where have you been? I believe someone PROMISED that they would not disappear again after their last return.

Tomster
    Texas Jeep is right on. But I didn't have to remove my Bestop Header. :confuse: Maybe just depend on the year.

But I would also go w/ water proof, whats the point of putting on a bikini if its not going to protect your electrical components?
  • drperez007drperez007 Member Posts: 30
    Randy,

On my '04 X, I went with Quadratec's QUICK MIRROR II (Black). The kit includes a bracket that attaches (bolts) to the windshield (in the preexisting holes). In the fall, I turn the knob, loosen the set screw and yank the mirror. During the winter the bracket (with the knob) stays attached to the windshield, but is hardly noticeable. In spring, the doors come off, I pop the mirror in, tighten the set screw and the knob and I'm ready to rock 'n roll. I have one on each side and yes they are about $50 each. But I don't have to screw around with relocating or using the door mirrors, or, as I have read, lose my right-hand mirror use when the half-door goes back on. I would also consider the mirrors that pop into the door hinges, but I just liked the Quick Mirror set-up better (less vibration, as I'm told). Let me say, however, I would not even pull out of my driveway without both mirrors (maybe from my experience driving school bus in college). Good luck.

Thanks all who responded on my Rubicon wheel and tire question.

And remember, let's be careful out there...

Steve
    I've noticed that my daily mileage has changed - instead of driving 154 miles a day, I'm driving 153.

I'd have been surprised if the displayed mileage hadn't changed!

The same size tire from manufacturer A as compared to manufacturer B is almost guaranteed to have a different rolling radius. Not only is the tire nominally different in its actual size, but the sidewalls will likely flex by a different amount.

Finally, the Goodyears you removed will probably have been worn considerably, thereby reducing their diameter.
    When I picked my Sport in had a 4" lift and 33's. While I was driving I noticed I was speeding, even though the speedometer said I wasn't. I used a gps like mntgal and I am saving 10% mileage on my Jeep.

example: 10,000 miles on odometer = 11,000 actual miles

Because I bought my Sport new I am not going to complain to the dealer, now with my warranty I am getting more miles for my money.

(bumper to bumper) 36,000 = 39,600
    and
    (powertrain) 70,000 = 77,000

I know not much, but more is better.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    ARGHH I wish I had checked the board earlier, I would have told you to try these:
    http://www.jeepit.com/bracket_gallery_2.htm

Cheaper than the quadratec option by a long shot.
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    boyblue said......
    Because I bought my Sport new I am not going to complain to the dealer, now with my warranty I am getting more miles for my money.

the local dealer here has already picked up on that trick, they warned me to not wait until 36,000 miles if I wanted warranty work.

jeff
  • capitalkcapitalk Member Posts: 1
    Just introducing myself to this forum (first time posting.... ever).

We were Jeep newbies in March last year when we bought our first unit (Rubicon).

Being completely unfamiliar with offroading, we elected to try out the Jeep Jamporee in Rocky Mountain House Alberta. As stated by folks in this forum, it is indeed a blast! We had no idea how capable this vehicle was until this experience.

As a result, and now being hooked, we're heading back again in a couple of weeks to do it again!

Our Jeep has been problem free, and the 4.0 Litre six seems bullet proof. I noted a lot of traffic related to gas mileage, and we weigh in with a consistent 20 mpg in the city (that's a Canadian Gallon mind you).

There's great info in this forum; thanks to those who make it all happen :D .
    Thanks for the warning.

But wouldn't you think it should be the dealers responsibility if you do these changes before you purchase the vehicle so everything is under the bumper to bumper warranty? Any lawyers or people with first hand experience out there with some legal input?
  • denmasterdenmaster Member Posts: 8
    the information i can give you is after going thru my shop manual and reading all about the PCM= PowerTrain Control Module... I just purchased a 97 TJ (first Jeep) and I'm installing my own Kill Switch to flip when i get out so nobody can start it..... Anyhow, first thing is to check your ground connection and not at the battery..... The one against the firewall aft of the engine, I believe it's on the right side as you face aft... All of the PCM drivers need a ground to work, as the manual specifically states that.... especially for ignition!!! Other than that I would have to seriously sit down and look further at the exact sensors would cause your problem and how to troubleshoot - Let me know.... Problem I have is i only have the 97 manual for myself... I'm an ex- freq'n United Airline mechanic after 17 years.. I will solve your problem if needed - (have a little too much time on my hand and besides, i'll gain alot out of it..... DenMaster Kevin .. SnapOnTools@comcast.net
    It all depends on the person on how long you drive for. My brother would make the trip from Conn. to FL in one day easy. I have made several trips from Houston to CO. I did it once in one day. It was rough and will only do it in two day trips for now on. Highways and interstates are mostly smooth so I have no problem taking a Jeep on a road trip. What I don't like about them is the poor gas mileage, wind/road noise (which isn't too bad), and no security. I have a soft top so everything you have is vulnerable to theft when you stop at a restaurant, sight seeing or overnight in a hotel.
    Boy, where have you been? I believe someone PROMISED that they would not disappear again after their last return.

Tomster

I can't believe you fell for that! Just kidding. Maybe I can manage to stick around this time.

How has Turkey Bay been?
    Do they have camping and showers?
    Now those are something to consider. And, you're certainly right about the price. Appreciate the link!

Randy
    I see you also have an 05, as I do. If you didn't need to remove yours, I doubt I would, either. Do you happen to recall which header from Bestop you purchased?

And, you're right about the water proof bikini....why worry about saving a few dollars if it rains and your instrument cluster gets shorted out??!!!

Thanks for the advice.

Randy
  • jimmymjimmym Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying an older wrangler with a bad engine. I would like to consider putting a mercedes benz diesel engine in as a replacement. Anyone ever done this or know if it can be done. What are the complications.
    It's not a common conversion and I've not heard of it being done, but with the right machining facilities I see no reason why it shouldn't be done. The 4.0 is a large heavy lump which makes it easier to take the weight of the Mercedes engine into account. Make sure you use a manual transmission vehicle for the conversion. Whether the time and effort will be worthwhile only you can decide.
    oh, I thought you had already ordered the quadratec ones, now I see that was someone else. I would order them myself but the cops around here seem to care not one wit whether you have side mirrors or not so why bother, also I am going to eventually order a pair of Rock Gear soft doors and you can get those with mirrors.
    Got the new header installed today and WOW what a difference! It's so quiet and I think I gained at least 20 HP from my cracked one. And boy was it cracked. I had only noticed the tear down near the collector, but there was a huge one right below where the back 3 cylinders joined together. Check it out:

Here's the new one installed:

The header is from 1 A Auto and ran about $150 with shipping and has the expansion joints and a lifetime warranty.

Got a local boy here to install it for $160 and he did a great job. So I spent about $310 altogether. Not a bad deal.
  • mike_cmike_c Member Posts: 8
    Although side mirrors are not required in TX, these are the mirrors I use with the doors off: http://www.4x4xplor.com/doorless-mirror.html
    $15 each from the local Pep Boys!
    Tex:

Wranglers Camp is within LBL and is only about five miles from Turkey Bay.

Wranglers is a super nice campground with bathhouses for showers. There's even a small restaurant.

Come on up! Wait for cooler weather, though, unless you can only come now.

Tomster
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Thanks for the reply. I have taken it to Toronto and your concerns are the same as mine. I do like having it at my final destination and I love road trips. So it will probably be a go for the trip in April. KB2
  • drperez007drperez007 Member Posts: 30
    I believe the X does come with 3.07, but the Rocky Mountain Edition substitutes a 3.73 axle (and a HD Dana 44 rear), and adds the 30" tire and wheel group with 30x9.50R15 Wranglers. If I use the Rubicon Moab wheels with a 31 inch tire with that axle, will I notice a difference?

Thanks

Steve