Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ram Pick-Up Problems/Transmissions

enetheneth Member Posts: 285
Never owned a Dodge truck, but was misfortunate enough to have owned two Dodge cars.

You might want to have a look at

http://www.thegrid.net/thedrivetrainpage/whtobuy.htm

it's a transmission-mechanic's web page, with opinions on the relative durability of car and truck transmissions and drivetrains.
Tagged:

Comments

• mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    Hammerhead, Most auto transmission problems come from abuse, or lack of proper maintenance. Most likely both. If you follow the procedures, and recommendations in the owners manual + a little common sense, you should have no trouble.
  • panmanpanman Member Posts: 25
    Hammerhead, I have not owned a Dodge myself, yet, but my brother and step-grandfather have both had problems with their older model Dodge automatic transmissions. They pull boat trailers and cattle trailers so that might have something to do with it but everyone I know who have a standard transmission have not had any problems. I agree with mharde2 that probably if you take good care of your truck, you shouldn't have problems.
  • mendelsohnmendelsohn Member Posts: 3
    I have a 91 Dakota V8 with 125,000. The transmission overdrive was rebuilt around 42000
    (under warranty and with improved parts) and it has been fine since. I have not towed anything with the truck.

Regular maintenance is important. I have heard that if you tow anything significant don't put the
    transmission in overdrive. It will cost a bit in
    gas mileage but it may save you a transmission
    repair.
  • scagscag Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if Dodge will offer any incentives this spring for the 1998 Quad cab..and any word on these new quad trucks.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    Armadillo is 100% correct. Don't put too much weight on one person who was unfortunate enough to get a lemon off the line. Dodge and Ford both make good trucks.

Obivously, I disagree with Armadillo on his final choice. I conducted the same analysis and found Ford heads and tails above Dodge. The only area that I could find an advantage for the Dodge was with the diesel and, of course, the new Powerstroke hasn't been thoroughly tested. Bigger cab, more advanced suspension, brakes, tranny, clutch, and, of course configurations options. You still can't go wrong with either vehicle, but....
  • pullerpuller Member Posts: 4
    the only one dogging out the Dodge transmissions is usually Ford salesman.As far as the differential there Dana .Ford Chev Dodge all use them.The automatic is a spin off of the old 727 torque- flite use in the 426 hemi's of the 60s with proper maintenance& don't overload and you should'nt have a problem.As far as the big three they all have a lemon in the bunch once in a while.
  • 34363436 Member Posts: 25
    TO RAM TRANS, I WORK IN A BODYSHOP WE HAVE HAD 5 DODGE TRUCKS IN FOR REPAIR IN THE LAST MONTH EVERY ONE OF THEM MADE UNREAL NOISES WHEN IN REVERSE LIKE NO FLUID IN THE TRANS ALL TRUCKS WERE [96- 98] I WOULD NOT BUY ONE.NOT MUCH PAINT ON THEM COMPARE IMPORT TRUCKS.
  • marlboromarlboro Member Posts: 1
    My 1995 Ram 2500, 4WD, 4 spd auto, short cab, long bed, has only 22,000 miles on it. But it got it's second stabilizer bar today; and has to go back next week for a new steering column. This truck has never been used to tow or plow. I commute 2.5 miles per day (over paved roads). Any idea what the story with the front end is?
  • sshumwaysshumway Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are in the process of looking for a new tow vehicle for a 32 ft. 5th Wheel camper. We have been using a 1992 GMC 2500 without problems but are about to retire and make extended trips out west.
    We are looking at a 1998 Dodge Ram w/ 4.9L Cummings Diesel standard shift. Any comments as to problems, etc. with this vehicle?
  • J24J24 Member Posts: 17
    I thought this page was about transmission problems with the RAM/Dakota. My step father had problems with his transmission on his 1500 series Ram. It made a lot of winding noises and just could not seem to shift smoothly from gear to gear. He eventually had to get it replaced and has not had any problems since then. I do not know if this is one of those so call lemon trucks that everyone referrs to, but as far as I'm concern it is not a chance I want to be taking with my money. However I do hear a lot of good things about the Dodge built trucks, but I also believe that like most makes a vehicles they all have their problems. Any comments?
  • mydinomydino Member Posts: 1
    Believe what you hear about the problem transmissions in the Ram 1500 series. Today I got my 1996 Dodge out of the shop for the second time. It has a little over 50,000 miles on it.All maintenance procedures have been followed by the book, give or take a few hundred miles. All miles have been straight highway. Nothing has ever been towed by it and never has it been loaded down with anything more than light weight furniture.
    First time it was in, the overdrive module was said to be the problem with delays in automatic gear changes into 4th and 5th. $250 Okay, being a woman I just said fix it. Well that didn't correct the problem. The following week I started having trouble with it not changing into every gear except 1st. I took it to another dealer service center to have it looked at. I was told the damage was bad. I had the whole thing reconditioned. I thought maybe the other dealship was partly to blame for the extensive repairs that had to be made due to the fact they never fixed the problem nor did they look deep enough to find it. After paying for basically a transmission overhaul, on a 2-year old Dodge, and a few other rip-off repairs,I was told a new transmission was only a couple hundred more!! Why didn't they just put a new one in?
  • nascar6nascar6 Member Posts: 113
    Anybody got any sour things to say about the 5-speed manual transmissions?