Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado 2500 & 3500 - II

Comments

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    I know some people have had problems with Steeltex...but I am saying that if you have a 2500...and replace the 245's....get 10 ply LT rated tires...

- Tim
  • sf0383sf0383 Posts: 204
    The 2500HD has a GVWR of 9200#. Which actually qualifies it as a 1 ton. I think the 1500HD will actually be a 3/4 ton with a 8600#? GVWR. One thing I would check is the brakes. The 2500HD has big 4 wheel disc brakes with some kind of set up that will apply more power to the rear when needed to make for more effective braking. My experience so far is that they seem to work pretty ding dang good. I am curious to get some reports on the 1500HD. Had it been available when I ordered mine I might have went that direction although I have no complaints about the 2500HD
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    My 2000 2500EC with the HD suspension and trailer towing package has got the oversize disc brakes with the "dynamic proportioning valve" you speak of. Folks can argue about anything they want on these trucks, but if they don't think this is the most awsome braking system ever on a pickup truck, they better get them checked out because something must be wrong.

BTW: The 2000 2500 with the HD suspension falls between the 2001 2500 and 2500HD. Mine came with a little addition on the window sticker that stated it was rated for 9200lbs towing capacity. The sticker also shows "GMC Sierra 2500HD" and yes, it is a 2000 model.

Jim
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Posts: 125
    On a long bed over the rail, I paid $395 or $399. I forget exactly what it was. Very happy with it so far, but will reserve my full opinion until it has been in use for a couple of years.

For anyones information, I weighed the pickup yesterday - 8.1, Allison, 4x4, long bed, with about 2/3 tank of gas
    6370 pounds
  • I have been researching the HD line for some time to determine what would be more appropriate for myself. I consluded that unless you are going to do significant towing, you can get all of the benefits of the HD series without paying the extra for the 8.1 / Allison option. I have driven both and can say the the 8.1 rocks, for my self, it is needed considering the cost of the truck and the gas mileage. don't forget, the 1500HD is rated the same as a standard 1500 as mentioned in earlier posts. I finally ordered my this week 1500HD 4x4 373 SB. does anyone have information on how long to get a TPW at this time?
    1500HD is rated at 8600 GVW....same as my 2K 2500...

a 1500 is rated at 7200GVW?

- Tim
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    1500 is 6400 GVW. But the truck weighs about 2000 lbs less than that, so it has a 2000 lb load capacity. My 2500 has an 8600 GVW and has a load capactiy of about 3000 lbs.

The 1500HD is the Crew Cab model. That is a very long and heavy model. Maybe the reason it is called a 1500HD is the load carry capacity is closer to a 1500 than to a 2500.

Mike L
    7200 is the 2500LD....bed capacity may be similar to a n-n-crew cab 1500...but comparing crew to crew...we are talking like 1/2 the capacity!

1500HD to 2500HDCC

- Tim
  • crunk1crunk1 Posts: 3
    I have a new 2500 ext cab-short bed waiting at the dealership. Finally got them to take back by 2000 1500. Wanting advise on location of 5th wheel in this truck. Seems like I saw something about this topic earlier but can not locate that post now. Thanks
  • n75v111n75v111 Posts: 243
    Over on 8100/alli topic -

75v
  • I just took my truck on my first long trip. The truck had 1400 miles on it when we left. My wife and I drove from Philadelphia to Mont Tremblant in Canada and back. About 1100 miles round trip. Other than my wife, myself, two bags and two pairs of skis, the truck was empty. I kept it on cruise at 75 mph about 95% of the way (except when the radar detector would go off, damn those brakes do work good). I only averaged 11.4 mpg. I've read people getting around 14 with the same truck. I know we were going through the mountains, but the Adirondacks aren't really that steep. I've been getting around 10.5 with heavy loads and a heavy foot with my everyday driving. I really expected the milage to be far better than what it was. Is this what I should expect the milage to be, or should I be a little concerned? The truck is a 2500HD XC 4WD LB 6.0/auto 4.10 locker.

Lou
  • Lou, I have the same truck as you except mine is a short bed. When new in Oct, I got around 11.5 in town and 14 on the hiway. It now has 5,000 miles and I get 13 and 15. I heard that the mileage gets better as you get closer to 10,000 miles and for me it seems to be working. I have noticed that even small hills tends to cut mileage quickly. Hope this helps.

Stan
  • gordo13gordo13 Posts: 20
    Trucks4me2, your mileage is really good. You mentioned the mileage goes down when you climb up hills, can both of you comment on the trucks power to climb the hills? Also, do any of you tow up hills, can you give your experiences? I was looking at the diesel mainly for the MPG and range but if the 6.0 has the capability to get 15, I might be changing my mind. I will be towing around 7000lbs. but it will be up hills in 120 degree or higher summer temps.
    Thanks
  • I don't do any towing, but I do haul loads that are around 2-3000 pounds. I haven't had any problems at all with the 6.0 handling hills. I'm only at 2600 milles, but I don't think it will ever be a problem. What Stan said about hills cutting mpg makes sense. Could also explain why my milage was low on my trip. I don't think the mountains of upstate New York are that large, but you do spend a good bit of time climbing uphill. I wouldn't worry whether or not the 6.0 can tow your 7000 pound trailer uphill. Seems to me there's more than enough power to get that job done easily. Getting 15 mpg??? I'll let you know the first time I ever get in that range. Don't wait too long though, with my heavy foot I don't think I'll ever reach that kind of milage.
  • sf0383sf0383 Posts: 204
    I've actually noticed my valves pinging a little when I go uphill sometimes. Has anyone else noticed this? Wasn't sure if it was normal or if I should have the timimg checked already. 2500HD Crew cab, 4x4, 6.0 automatic.
    Gordo,
    I have a 2K 2500HD extended cab with the 6.0 and 3.73 gears, automatic. I tow a 7400lb travel trailer with no problems, get about 8-8.5 mpg in hills. I haven't had a chance to flatland tow, yet.

I know, the HD wasn't available in '00, but the 2500 with HD suspension and towing was. It falls between the current 2500 and 2500HD. As equipped, the sticker states tow rating 9200lbs.

As I have stated before, the window sticker is printed "Sierra 2500HD" Go figure...

Jim
  • gordo13gordo13 Posts: 20
    Good useful information for me to make my power choice, I'll make the decision one of these days. I'm going with the CC SWB now I just need to pick my power.
  • I have a 2001 2500 HD with the 8.1 with 900 miles on it. When I start it up cold the engine has a knocking sound, like a diesel (lifters?). It also has very high oil pressure, approx. 65 PSI when cold and at hwy speeds. Both the noise and the oil pressure seem to go away after about 5 minutes and the engine warms up. The oil pressure at idleafter warm up is approx. 45 PSI. I have written to Chevy and talked to the local dealer and they have been more than worthless. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms/problems?
  • roger350roger350 Posts: 157
    Just got back from a Dallas to Steamboat vacation. The best mileage I saw was about 14.4, but conditions were terrible for mileage, i.e. very windy, etc. Worst I saw was in the 11's. As for mountains and this truck, they mix well. I put it in 3rd the whole time I was up there. On the 6-7% grades, uphill I still had plenty of power to pass people, it just had to downshift into 2nd to do it. Downhill on those grades, 3rd gear and the 4.10 worked like a charm. I never had to touch the brakes. On a 7% grade it would coast right at 60 mph. If you were going faster it would drag you down to 60, but it took a while, whereas if you were going 50 or so, it would climb back to 60 pretty fast, but again, it was easy to control your speeds just by letting the gearing do the work, and never required the brakes. The only negative would be the 26 gallon tank! I couldn't make it out of a state without stopping for gas!
  • careyacecareyace Posts: 44
    I have the same truck you do as far as the motor,trans and gears and I too tow a large trailer and I also have the HD toys on the truck but when you said your sticker states 9200GVW that led me to relook at mine. On top it says 2000 silverado LT 2500 HD pickup 4DR But over on the options installed it says GVW RATING-8600LB.
    I would like to see a copy of your sticker and compare our trucks as I would like to see the difference in them as far as the GVW goes.Maybe the difference is when the truck was built,early or late 2000.Mine is a early 2000.Or maybe it is the rear axel.If you take off your center caps from your wheels does your axel hub stick out with bolts on it or does it stay flush with your wheel with no bolts?
    Andrew
  • I will be going from Phoenix back home to Seattle in May towing a U-haul with 4,000lbs. I will post the mileages upon my return. I bought my truck to tow my 7500lbs RV and although I haven't yet, I am POSITIVE it will do fine. The 6.0/4.10 has lots of power to spare. As far as the gas tank goes, 26 gals is pathetic. Rumor has it that transferflow.com is working on a replacement tank in the 45 gal range....I will be first in line!

Stan
    I will try to upload a copy of the sticker for comparison. I was mistaken on the header information, it says Sierra 2500. The HD is down in the options. The GVWR is shown as 7200lbs. So, does that make a GCWR of 16,400lbs? I will try the copy on the next post.

Jim
    well. That didn't work. Let me play with this for a bit and I will figure out how to get it up here.

Jim
    I can scan the sticker in as .jpg, or whatever, but how do I upload it?

Jim
  • tomh12tomh12 Posts: 240
    I believe the difference in your ratings have to do with the build date. There is no difference in the trucks. GM changed the rating criteria for trailering to bring it "more in line with industry standards" during the year. I remember reading this either in the published trailering guide or year 2000 brochure. I'll try to find where I read this.
    Tom
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    email me at ryanb0928@yahoo.com and ill send you someones email address who has had the problem with the passlock (security thing)
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    Very interesting sticker. 7200lbs was the 2500LD. Which was listed (at least by Chevy) as only available with the 5.3L, but you got the 6.0L. It took me a minute to figure out why your 2500 had a mileage rating. No mileage ratings on 8600lb + trucks.

Mike L
    00 2500 6.0L 5spd Reg Cab Longbed
    Deadhorse, Alaska 6-6-99
This discussion has been closed.