Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Attractive Older Cars and Why You Think So

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
edited March 2014 in Mazda
Those are pretty good lists, and made with a good eye, all in all, and I can live with most of them (scratch the Monte Carlo and I'd be happier) as long as I keep the word "style" in mind and don't let "size" get in the way. It's interesting that some cars only look good BIG and some look good SMALL, and when a big car is too small or vice-versa it doesn't work for me.

I think the last generation RX-7 was a beautiful car in that it was modern but restrained...not a superficial scoop or piece of phony anything on the car...just right.

Sometimes only time can judge a car's beauty...one rule of thumb I've relied on is whether a car still looks good when it's stripped and lying in a wrecking yard...like the 70s Alfa GTV sedan, a clean Bertone design that even looks good wrecked with pieces missing. Can't say that for the Monte, IMO.

Comments

• bubukittybubukitty Member Posts: 96
    I am glad that this topic was started! I think the gamut was covered on the ugly car topic!

Here are some of my favorites:

Jaguar XKE (series one covered headlight) from the early and mid 60's---still timeless
    Chevy Corvette mid year coupe and roadster ('63-'67)-absolutely perfect.
    Ferrari 250 GTL (Lusso). An amazingly beautiful car. Most of the '60's Pinninfarina Ferraris are amazing designs--too many to list here.
    Maserati Ghibli. What a car!
    Lamborgini Miura. Just beautiful.
    Iso Grifo. Italian Style with American power.
    Alfa Romeo boat tail spider (late '60's).
    Alfa Romeo 2000 & 2600 Spider (early 60's).
    Mercedes 230-250SL roadsters.
    Mustang '67-'70, including Shelbys
    Camaro '67-'68 and '70-'73
    BMW 507 roadster (late 50's)
    BMW 2800 & 3.0 cs/csl coupe
    BMW 6 series coupe

There are others than this, but these are some of the main ones I think are great. Some mentioned earlier too like the '63-'65 Riviera and the Miata.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    yep, yep, like 'em all for style.
  • tbirdtonytbirdtony Member Posts: 2
    The best looking car of all time is the 1957 Ford Thunderbird. Other great looking cars include:
    65 to 69 Mustangs.
    65 to 70 Shelbys.
    57 Chevys.
    63 Chevy Impala 2 door hardtop.
    63 Falcon convertible and Ranchero.
    66 & 67 Fairlane GT & GTA.

My opinion.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    My opinion for best looking cars are as follows:

Imports:

Mazda Miata--Wouldn't want to drive one, but they are kinda cute.

Jag XJ6/8/12/R/whatever else they call the thing--I'd have to give it to this car hands down in the looks department. Even the 80's models with the clunky black bumpers and square headlights look good.

Jag S-type What can I say, I have a thing for Jaguars!

Domestic

Late Model Taurus (Just kidding. I'm not like, you know, high on pot or anything!)

Late 70's Early 80's Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Full sized cars...Crown Vics (except they were called LTD's back then) Grand Marquis's Town Cars, the like. Also the Caddies from this period (except the one with the chopped trunk)

Buick Regal Don't know what it is about that car, but I like it.

57 Chevy Nuff said

Those snout nosed GM vans of the Early 90's (Lumina, Sillouette, ect.) I'm currently the only person I know who like those things.

58 Edsel Absolute lemon, but cool looks. (Again, see what I said bout the Lumina. I have weird taste in cars.)

95 T-Bird...I own one. What can I say?

I could go on and on, but these are the main ones.
    Well, you know what you like!
  • esneedesneed Member Posts: 16
    I'll give you credit - you have a 'different' list! But you included the Miata, and since I own one - how can I judge you too harshly?! :)

I have an odd appreciation for mid-size/full-size cars of the 70's. (Ah... the days of Landau tops, opera windows, and poorly matched two-tone paint!) Most everyone considers these cars to be the most underpowered, poorly built cars made. And admittedly, there IS complete truth to that. But when I see a mid-70's LTD, or a large Plymouth Fury, or a boat-tail Buick Riviera, there's something about these cars that fires an interest in me - they are sheer yachts on wheels. The '73-'77 Monte Carlo/Grand Prix may look like yachts today, but these cars were VERY popular for their time, and most held up better than their replacements built from '78-80 - just from their sheer bulk. Then when the downsizing era began in 1977 at GM, car styling REALLY did begin to get BORING!

There's a local guy in town who has a 1979 Chrysler Cordoba (ah, rich Corinitian leather) - gold, loaded w/ all options. Been garaged for 90% of its existence. Absolutely looks like new. OK, it's a Chrysler from the late 70's, so quality was not a strong suit... OK, so Lean-Burn technology wasn't exactly 'successful'. Yes, it makes the Queen Mary look like a small Sea-Ray in comparison. But looking at this car in mint condition was astonishing - it is truly a beautiful looking car, and it definitely stands out with the conservative styling of cars today. And since it only has about 16,000 miles on it - it truly rides like a dream (minus the whistling wind noise from the frameless door windows).

No, I don't think Chrysler should return to building these beasts once again - but isn't funny when you look at the similarities of full-size cars from the 70's and SUV's today. Look at the chrome and excess on a Lincoln Navigator - even teenage kids who would snuff at an old 70's full-size monster - actually drool over this luxury SUV. Or the sheer massive size of a Ford Excursion - it looks like an Econoline Van with a full truck cab in front!

Just MY .02!
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Well, you are still the only known person hta likes the GM "dustbuster" vans - but what the hey
    - you're certainly entitled to your opinion. Love the fact that you included the 58 Edsel. I'm in that school that thinks that is about the top of 50's excess (that and maybe the 59 DeSoto).
    Doesn't mean they can't be seen as attractive (how's that for diplomatic???).

Of course the 57 T-bird and 57 Chevy. Love the fact that esneed included the 55 Chevy - great design. How about the ol' 57 Ford - you know - Fairlaines. Nice design. Actually sold more cars in 57 than Chevy did (the only year in decades).
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • sbarersbarer Member Posts: 35
    While most Duesenberg J's and SJ's were quite nice, no two cars were alike. Clark Gable's roadster J looks nothing like Gretta Garbo's J, or a Murphy bodied J which is very distant from a LeBaron dual-cowl phaeton.

So one would have to classify in a Duesey, much like other high-end cars of the generation, which coachbuilder.

Although, my two cents enters the Talbot-Lago T150 or a Delahaye v12 (with the covered front wheels)
    Did you know that's where the expression..."That's real Doozie" comes from? Oops...should have put that in trivia!
    People seem to prefer talking about ugly cars than attractive cars by a 10 to one margin.

Anyone?
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Unlike with people, huh?

Maybe it's that people agree more easily with what's ugly than what's beautiful...but not always...I think the Viper is a mutt of a car regarding looks but some people think it's actually beautiful...go figure....

Another problem is that cars in 1999 look very similar to one another...they are designed neither to attract nor repel too strongly.....cars by Starbuck's.
  • sbarersbarer Member Posts: 35
    I almost used that term in the post, but have been shying away from it lately, because most people don't understand its meaning or orgin.

Duesey: superlative, derived from the 1920s-30s American ultra-luxury auto manufacturer Duesenberg.

Many people today believe the word to mean "complex, stumper or brainteaser"
    I love the Starbuck's analogy to modern automotive styling! Maybe one can compare the much better styling of cars in the past to Peets! (Peets makes way better coffee than McStarbucks).

Yea, the Viper is interesting looking but I don't consider it a beauty by any means. Mr. Shiftright, can you give all of us car worshipers a list of your favorites?
    Gee, I have a lot of cars I think are really beautiful, but some are pretty obscure...of the more well-known ones, I'd say my favorites (currently) are: (in no particular order)

Jaguar XK120 roadster (clean, graceful, beautiful, purposeful, and was as fast as it looked).

Jaguar XKE --a shocking car for 1961--shocking in price (CHEAP!)in performance, and in outrageous looks. It was, at the time, an absolute sensation to eyes that were used to '58 Buicks

1955 Buick Convertible, white with red leather...I dunno why, but there is something about it that I find irresistable...the only 50s American car that I personally would consider owning today.

57 Corvette---just a "classic" Corvette for me...they mussed it up in 1958.

Alfa GTV Coupe--a very pretty 1970s 2 door coupe by Bertone...the perfect little GT coupe, from which all current Japanese rocket-coupes take their inspiration.

Mercedes 300SL roadster--not as famous or as valuable as its sister ship, the 300SL Gullwing, but it's got a very muscular style and the power to back up its image....inspiration for the Cobra and Viper, I think, but much more refined than either.

Saab 850 Monte Carlo--a little two-stroke aerodynamic blob of a car from the 1960s that is a kick to drive and looks like nothing else on the road.

Mazda RX-7 Twin Turbo Coupe--clean, purposeful, not one extra piece of chrome or decoration, and blazing speed...a lovely, integrated, well-thought-out design.

1965 Corvair---best looking 4-door hardtop ever made in America.

Porsche Boxster

Austin Healey 100M --your classic British sports car--two seats, wind all over, tail swinging out fun-mobile.

Alfa Guiletta Spyder Veloce -- a cute little jewel of a car that you can wind up to outrageous RPMs for a late 50s-60s "everyday" sportscar.

63 Buick Riviera ---at attempt at sanity in an insane design environment. A Man's Car...one of the first of the "luxury coupes".

Well, I could go on and on, but I don't want to bore you all...these are some of my favorites...
    Thanks for your list. Many of yours are the same ones I chose, plus others that I did not think of. There are really a lot of special cars out there that are not only good cars, but beautiful as well. A few more weeks and I'm off to the Monterey Historics and the RM Classics auction to ogle at the beautiful cars and imerse myself in my favorite pastime!
    If you're down there, stop at the Automobilia Bookstore booth at the Laguna Seca historic races. I'll be there...ask for Joe.

Everyone who likes old cars should go at least once to Pebble Beach, if for no other reason to see such a wide range of domestic and foreign "classics", and also to better appreciate what makes a car special. Some of the restorations are way over the top (a bad American habit), but it's really great to see someone driving a 1.5 million buck car on the track at 9/10ths.
  • buttonbutton Member Posts: 8
    In addition to many of those already mentioned, I would like to add my list...
    36 Ford Cabriolet
    53-55 Vette
    57 T-Bird
    59 Eldorado Biarritz
    Any E Jag Roadster
    62-63 T-Bird Sports Roadster
    67 Chevelle SS
    76-77 Olds Cutlass Supreme
    Not much from the eighties
    Lamborghini Diablo
    Jag XK8 Roadster
    94 T-Bird LX
    Can't remember the year, but late model Mazda MX6
    Nice list, but...but...'76 Cutlass Supreme...was that a typo?
    Mr. S., I will make it a point to drop by and say hello when I am at Laguna Seca. It would be nice to meet you. The name is Rob.

I love the Monterey Historics. My wife is kind enough to go with me each year and indulges me in my love of cars. She has come to enjoy the event too and wanders around the paddock area with me. My favorite was a few years ago when Ferrari was the featured marque. Everywhere you looked were Ferraris of every year and model. I almost got whiplash from looking around so much, especially when I was wandering around in Carmel and heard the beautiful roar of a Ferrari V-12! A visual and sensory feast!! See you there!
  • buttonbutton Member Posts: 8
    Nope, not a typo. My first brand new car. Ordered from the factory, black on black on black with t-tops, and 455 cid. 4400 lb. of personal luxury and enough grunt to get out of it's own way. Closest thing one could get to a convertible during the mid 70s (you may notice from my list that I tend to lean toward open air autos). Not the greatest handling car, but a really nice cruiser. Also had nice clean lines. Would like to find one today, but the darn bodies had a terrible rust problem. Most of the ones that are still around have the rear bumper held on with bailing wire. I know I know the bumpers could be used as park benches, bit so could those on any other domestic car from that era.
  • carnut4carnut4 Member Posts: 574
    Great choices listed here. I'll add a few:

49 Cad Sedanette and Convertible

34 Fords [most models]

39-40 Ford coupes and convertibles

34 Chevs and some other GM's of same year.

39 Lasalle

61 Buick Electra Convertible [white with red leather]

61 Pontiac Ventura 2dr hardtop [maroon w/tri-tone leather interior]

31 Chrysler Imperial

33 Packard Roadster
    carnut, there are only two "classics" (as defined by historians) on your list. Can you name them?
    That would be the 31 Chrysler and the 33 Packard,right? Interesting to look down the list of true classics, as published by the CCCA. Quite a number of Cadillacs are on that list, some of them production cars [no special bodies]. I was interested in your choice of the 55 Buick Convertible. I had a friend who, after owning a 58 Impala and a 60 Corvette, bought a 61 Buick Electra Convertible, white with red leather, in

mint condition,[in 1966] for 1200 bucks. Things were different then, and that car was not one any of us coveted. But something about it. Since then, over the years, I've seen huge, white, Buick convertibles wityh red leather at car shows. I remember a 57 that was stunning-when I NEVER liked 57 Buicks. Also a 64 Electra, a 79 Riviera, 69 Electra, 64 Wildcat, and a 67 Electra. All white with red leather. And relatively cheap. I thought, what a buy for someone
    I think what appeals to me is the sheer excess of it all...it's like the car designers in Detroit int he 50s and 60s were on drugs or something (martinis?). It could only have happened in a country with lots of wealth, wide open spaces and cheap gas.
    That's it. Growing up in the fifties as a carnut kid,seeing those first wrap-around windsheilds on the 54 GM cars-and all that chrome and color. I thought all the 55 GM cars were special even then-the first 55 Pontiac I saw was exactly like the one I own now-bronze and white Starchief 2dr hardtop-even has the stainless fender skirts. The leather and chrome inside are sure different from the snap on plastic interiors of today's cars. Funny you appreciate the excesses of the flashy fifties, yet you really appreciate MGBs, for example-and smaller, more fun to drive cars. Wish my neighbor would get his 2 MGBs running....
  • classic1classic1 Member Posts: 8
    The 1962 Thunderbird.

That's my list. I want one so bad I could taste it. I even saw a 1962 Thunderbird station wagon that was fabricated (of course), but even the hypothetical wagon was a piece of artistry in motion. I think the guy wants $20,000 for it. It's in perfect running condition and earned many awards. Anyone got 20 grand I can borrow? ;-)
  • oscarawiggyoscarawiggy Member Posts: 4
    i would have to say that i have three cars that i just love to look at:
    1.- 1958 impala- my grandpa had one and i remember that huge front end pulling into our drive way. his wan't super clean or in great shape but the style shinned through.
    2.- 1963 impala- awesome! my dad had one. i turn my neck everytime i see one.
    3.- 1970 el camino ss396. this ones mine. i always tell my wife.."isn't that the coolest car you have ever seen?" she just tells me it smells like oil...welcome to 1970 baby.
  • vmanvman Member Posts: 103
    I am certainly an odd-ball lover, and I know Mr S. is going to punish me for this list, but here's a few that come to mind:

196x Facel Vega (Facellia).

1972-74 Porsche 914.

199x Dodge Viper GTS.

1970-71 Olds. Cutlass S. (I had one that I loved).

1955-60 Nash Metropolitan (saw one as a kid, and I couldn't tell if it was going forward or backwards , but I couldn't stop staring at it).

1957 T-Bird (ditto).

196x Buick Riviera (ditto).

1972 AMC Hornet, DOT yellow (gotcha!, just kidding).

195x Mercedes with the gullwing doors (somebody mentioned the model number).

1949 Ford Fairlane, red/white in and out (an old friend's father had one. What a beauty!).

I'll need Mr. S.'s help on this one, a 50's beauty that had a hardtop that folded/retracted into the trunk. Possibly a buick?

I'm sure there's more, but I'll stop now.
    Oh, the 1958 Ford retractable...interesting car, that's true, but if we're talking aesthetics here rather than technical things, it's pretty hard to take in the rear view or profile...they had to stuff all that hardware in the truck area and it's quite out of proportion. Not to my taste. They had a hell of a time with it in both design and engineering and it shows. Failed in the marketplace, too, which is a sign that I'm not alone here.

Otherwise, I thought your list was pretty good...at least most of the cars are interesting, tasteful or cute, except the Viper which I think is hideous. I don't think time will be kind to it....you know, like when we look at some of those 50s and 60s Zagato designs on Italian cars, and we say "what were they THINKING?" Probably the 914 won't look so great either in the next century...it's already kinda odd-looking to the modern eye I think, but not really offensive--it's proportional and balanced at least. Targas in general can be clunky, like that big fat chrome strip on the Porsche 911s...ruins the lines a bit, I thought.

What seems to hold up over the decades are cars with good proportion.
  • jwolffjwolff Member Posts: 19
    Here's my list (best looking not reliable)

any 911 (except the 996)
    Datsun 240z
    Jaguar XKE roadster
    Porsche 356 speedster
    Porsche 550 spyder
    63-67 Stingray vette
    Triumph TR6
    BMW 507
    Gullwing Mercedes 300 sl
    Ford Pantera
    An El Camino? And you thought I was strange for Liking GM's Dustbuster Vans! Most of my preferences are V-8 RWDs (Mostly Granny-mobiles)
    I saw one of the last Buick Roadmasters made. Closest thing to the Fifties cars we'll get this decade! I also have a soft spot for anything resembling a 1978 Grand Marquis. Of course, the big Lincolns and Caddies (even though Caddilac is FWD now). One car I like that is neather V-8 nor RWD is a Pontiac Bonneville. My grandma has a 92, and its an awesome litte car, once you get used to the car's slightly unusual looks. IMHO, bigger is better when it comes to cars!
  • TSchrammTSchramm Member Posts: 106
    '66-'67 Riviera.
    I liked the 63-64 mo' betta---more personality, more sculpture, much better rear end profile, I thought.
    I agree that the '63 and '64 are timeless. I also love the '65 when the took the headlights out of the grille area and put them under the clamshells on the side of the grill.......one of the styling themes I loved in the '60s were hidden headlights. The '65 Riviera was just perfect. I have a great sales brochure of the '65 Buicks that I saved when my parents were looking for new cars back then. Some great drawings of all the '65 Buicks, including the Riviera. Those were the days....beautiful sales brochures that were really very classy. Just not the same anymore.
    You are right-they just aren't the same anymore. I have a huge collection of these. The first one I collected was when my Dad and I went to look at the '56 Chevies. Still have it, along with all the others I collected on our annual trek to the new car showrooms to see the new models. Those late fifties ones are as outrageous as the cars were. When I go to the big swap meets, I look at all the brochures for sale-usually buy another one. 30's GM cars have some great ones. I haven't even seen a new one lately.
    Like this?

Maybe funny camera angle...looks heavy in the nose, which is not generally an attractive attribute for a car. I don't remember it as being that nose-heavy.
    Yep, that's the one Fezo. Takin the lights from the grille area and putting them under what used to be lights on the side of the grille was just the coolest look. I remember going to the dealer with my dad when he was looking at the '65 Buicks and thinking what a great car it was. Of course, could my dad buy a cool car? No way. He went out and bought a used '64 Ford Custom 500, which was the low man on the totem pole of the big Fords. Not a bad looking car, but nothing special (my dad isn't a car guy). In '72 he was going to buy a Maverick (ugh!), and I and my mom were able to talk him out of it. We ended up getting a '72 Camaro 350 in red (very slick). My mom helped with the choice.....she's into nice cars! He almost went for the 6-cyl Camaro, but some fast talking got him out of that!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    About ten years ago, I picked up a fine example of one of these. It was a one owner 65,000 mile jewel of a car! It was yellow with a black vinyl top that actully looked good on it! It had every known option including reverb, power vent windows, autronic eye, deluxe interior, and the Gran Sport package! 425 Cubic Inch/ 2 4BBL carbs, 360 horsepower.

In my humble opinion, it was one of the most beautiful cars ever produced. If would cheerfully burn rubber for a block if I wanted it to.

It also got seven miles per gallon, and sadly required an octane rating that is no longer available.

The retractable headlights were a big pain on these! Usually you'll see jammed in the open position. There are motors and micro switches, and everything has to be perfect for them to work.

Luckilly, I found an old Buick guy who fixed mine.

The gas situation broke my heart..It really needed 104 octane, leaded gas.

I couldn't stand to hear it ping so I was forced to retard the timing and use octane booster which really doesn't work.

Kind of like hobbling a race horse...Sad!

Because of this, and lack of storage, I decided to sell it!

It was, indeed, a beautiful car!
    Now I know these are supposed to be classics and they are neat looking cars, but do you think this one is carrying it to extremes?

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Do they make a lowrider version of this?
    Hm....So that's waht golf carts were like 40 years ago! Although you would think it would come with whitewalls!
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    carnut4 & oscar came close....1962 Pontiac Cat/Bonneville 2dr hardtop, soooo clean......or 1962 Chevy Impala 2dr hardtop. Beauties!

Runner up: 1959 Chevy 4dr hardtop. So ugly it's beautiful.
    I agree on all counts! I always thought the 59 Impala was the Batmobile! I'll go looking for pictures tomorrow...
    I always liked the '59 Impala roofline...thanks for posting those fezo....
    Nice pics. Brings back the memory of talking my Dad in to buying a brand new 62 Impala SS w/327/stick, when I was 16. [He'd been looking at Valiants and Ramblers]. A local guy here drives a gorgeous 59 Impala, Red in and out-been tweaked a little, but all stock appearing. Not many around!
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    design folks find the sculptures displayed above...they're gonna be in hog heaven.

Wouldn't it be great to drive the Ponton or 59 Bat Chevy around town for a weekend? Make my Poncho black, the baby blue is tooo, a well, youknow, sixties!
    Now I always thought of those 59 Chevys as Batmobiles, which I realize now is from the tail lights - kind of a horizontal tail fin. That side view looks really good!
  • stumackstumack Member Posts: 3
    I always thought just about the best looking thing that ever came out of Detroit was the 1971-72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring/Road Runner. Fantastic muscular styling - no shared components with the 4-door models. Interestingly, the loop bumper front end design was lifted almost intact from the 1961 Plymouth XNR (Exner, get it?) show car.
    I agree that the Satellite was a great looking car. I remember going with my parents to look at cars back in late '71 and seeing the new Satellites and thought that the styling was super. The build quality from what I have heard wasn't the best though, though I think this has always been a Chrysler Corp problem. Great looking cars that don't hold up that well. I think this is true today as well. When I was looking for a new car for my wife, I test drove a Chrysler Sebring. A very nice looking car but the materials used inside seemed cheap and the car had almost no noice unsulation...very loud on the road. In contrast, I test drove a Honda Accord and it was a whole new world from that Chrysler.
This discussion has been closed.