Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    To any Rado owners,

Has anyone installed a Flowmaster muffler (or similar brand)?

I am wondering if you noticed any increased horsepower, but more importantly gas mileage. If anyone has any feedback, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Are you asking about the muffler specifically or the cat back system?

Either way, I wouldn't recommend the Flowmaster or Gibson. But that's just my opinion.

A little more expensive but with an increased value, again my opinion.

www.borla.com

www.pvmufflers.com
    Just took a look. Why is there no picture. I even tried right clicking on it and it refuses to display the pic.

And be careful with the links....the hosts are really sensitive to this type of thing....speaking from personal experience.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    you a MS front page 2000 guru?

i dont know why the pic wont display

Ok here my problem email me if you can help

I have what you seen i want to open a web so i can edit and add navigation bars.

I cant figure it out really ticking me off

SORRY PF if i violated any rules i have been trying along time to trey and get my site up. I need to see if its working for anyone

Ryan
    If you right click on the pic, you can get the address, I know you know this so my only other question....is there a picture on the other side of that link to the picture?

Getting back to topic, anyone with experience buying from tirerack or discounttire? Was thinking of getting some rims for this old truck of mine.
    Thanks.. I will check out those sites!
    the pic is coming from my C drive is that the probleM?
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    this is the address:

http://members.home.net/ryanbabz71/Truck%20Stuff/Truck%20Pictures/General%20Truck%

that seems like it's on the web....but if it is on your C drive....then only you can see it pal!

move it to the web space.....and import from there...also do tools...recalculate hyperlinks...for a possible fix..

Good luck on this one now!

- Tim

• vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    I've found the best way to trouble shoot Frontpage is to do View, HTML. Then you can see what is actually going on. Even if you don't know HTML you can often figure out path name problems and such. Tim is correct, you need to move the picture file to your web server. Then you can call it without any path if it's in the same directory as your .htm file.
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    I've never mail ordered tires and likely never will. I have a new set of BFGs that I've had trouble with and the shop, America's Tire, has been very good about helping me. If I had bought them on-line what the heck would I do then? It took three visits to the shop before they decided to replace all of them. Would I have to ship them back to TireRack three times? For this type of item I prefer a real store.
  • mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    Where is my site - www.gearheadsanonymous.com in your collection?

If you want, email me your .htm file and I will fix it and email it back to you.

Peter MCIWD*

*Master Certified Internet Webmaster e-commerce Designer
    I have a bunch of stuff to add to it. I wanted another page with all the links one with my pics but i cant do it.

I need some time to sit down and work on it. Maybe this weekend.

Dont worry thats not the finished product NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Just a rough very rough draft
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    #3450 of 3462 Flowmaster Muffler by jaguar0027 Jun 20, 2001 (03:23 pm)

I installed the Flowmaster 70 Series, single in, dual out. Slight increase in horsepower (no better or worse mileage), good low rumble, absolutely no resonance. I would do it again.
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    Thanks for coming into our alignment shop on Lakewood and Alondra. Hope the new shocks are working well for you. I told my son about changing the torsion bars and said that you had it aligned afterwards. He told me that your truck appeared to have negative camber, and that if it was aligned they did not do the camber as some plastic ( I don't know what he was talking about) had never been removed since it was new. You might want to check on that. He was busy raising the 1 ton dually crewcab Chev and was involved with flipping the axle when you were there. Sorry we didn't mention that at the time. The crewcab was so low I could look right over the top of the cab. We put it back to a normal height so the guy could haul his 5th wheel. Don't know how you got all the way to Bellflower, CA, but I enjoyed talking with you.
    cowboyjohn
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Vince, I agree with you about problems encountered with online purchases. However, I did order a set of tires from Tirerack to replace the original tires(45k miles) with the same type. Their price was 50% cheaper and I had them installed by a friends shop for free. Thankfully I have had no problems with them. I guess if I had I would have had to ship them back for a replacement. Either way, I still would have saved.

Dano
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....but I'm here to announce the new Silverado Owners Club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Pickups.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • mtrammellmtrammell Member Posts: 125
    Just got a TPW of 7/30 for my new 2500HD CC Duramax/Allyson LS. Should be riding high by mid August. Anyone in the market for a 2K 1500XCab LS 5.3 White over Pewter w/20K miles. Dealer has offered $21K for tradein on the new truck. Still don't know what the new one is going to cost - prices not in the computer yet. Should be somewhere around $34K.
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    is an excellent retail tire store. I bought probably 6 sets of tires for various vehicles over the years. When you go to one of their stores they are always packed - people are standing in line wating for the doors to open, and others are still waiting for their tires after they lock the doors - because they are the best tire stores in town for bargain hunters. All of their employees really hustle, which is something you don't see much of anymore. The last time I bought tires several of the employees were staying late after the doors closed to take care of all of the customers. Most stores would tell their customers to take a hike and come back tomorrow. Most recently, I bought 2 cheapo Fisk tires for the front of my old 3/4 ton beater. I paid something like $162 for both mounted and balanced and with all the AZ excessive taxes. Tires look, ride, handle load great. However, dealing long distance might be another matter. I would just say that Discount is a stand up company. Good Luck.
    Thanks for the info....unfortunately Hawaii doesn't have a Discount Tire outlet....

On the other hand, I got my Michelins at wholesale price under the warranty provisions for my rado. $95 each for tires that retail close to $135-$140. Of course they gave me a trade in value of $25 per tire wholesale pricing for my new Generals....

Actually, I'm looking for some aftermarket rims and both stores have some decent ones once I get over the $150 shipping charge....

Ryanbab-

Guess what I've found. Check out this site dude...I bought a pair of blue ones for the rado. After a little over a year in the Hawaiian sun, my wipers were getting toasted. Just got them delivered today and will install after I get off the puter. Not bad at all....with 5 year guaranty.

http://www.sspinc.com/wipers.cfm

• eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Also try www.1010tires.com , especially if you like the BFGs. Since they are a Canadian company, they are not forced to sell them at the US licensed prices.

On the other side, though, I haven't ordered from them, so I don't know how they are to deal with.
    -Eric
    Obyone those are pretty cool let me know how you like em

Ryan
    thanks for the tip. will check it out.
  • 87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    Ryan, Are you giving up on picturetrail or just spreading your pics around for a wider audience?
    Picturetrail will stay for the time being

I swtiched because picturetrail wont let you post pics in forums like these. Thats why you get the little box with the red X.

They are no longer doing this and the new site does.

Once i get all my pics into the new site ill probably cancel the picturetrail account

Sorry

Ryan
    Just caught the detroit autoshow edition (tv)

They showed the new K5 concept. I didnt like it in pics but seeing it on tv (doors open) it looks NICE!!!. Only thing that i dont like is the open back (window)

If they make it id consider it. (back seat is small but it looks sharp)
  • grnsilveradogrnsilverado Member Posts: 23
    Hey Ryan, I bought the Husky toolbox this week and noticed that the black husky, diamond trend is $239. I bought the silver one. I also bought DeeZee rail caps and stainless steal wheel well moldings. My truck looks so damn good now. The stainless steel moldings really set the truck off. I need to use someones digital camera and get some pics posted on the web so I can bragg some more.
    You didn't buy the stainless reil caps and tailgate protector to match the wheel moldings?
    Thanks for the information on the flowmasters. Is your 70 series on the quieter side?

Oby - What is the advantage of going with Borla over Flowmaster. Also.. let me know how your new wipers are. They sound kinda cool!

Thanks,

Jim
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Jag...don't mean to butt in here, however, Oby has the PV system on his truck...he likes it a great deal...He will probably post the link to their site once he eradicates the worm out of his 'puter and puts on his fancy wipers...hehehehehe On a serious note the sun and heat eats up wipers!

Dusty and I have the Flowmaster catback system on our trucks. I like the definate exhaust note without it being obnoxious and ABSOLUTLY NO in cab resonance on an xCab truck. You may check the installation on my site:

http://home.att.net/~m.prendergast-alliedsignal/silverado.html

If you e-mail me I will send you a couple of .wav files, but they are big...like 1meg...make sure your ISP will handle attachments like that.
    matthew

I prefer the Borla simply by its tone and build quality. When I first saw a Borla system, it was built with high grade stainless. You know the system will last as long as your truck.

We had installed a flowmaster force II system dual exhaust on an employees '00 rado with the 5.3. It performed a lot better than stock. Since I had my truck with me, we removed the flowmaster and installed the PV system on his truck. The difference cannot be measured as we do not have a dyno. I can say that the employee was looking for someone interested in a flowmaster.

Previous to the PV system, I had a Gibson sweptside which having nothing to compare with thought it was pretty good. Quiet at idle and not too loud on WOT. However it had a horrible resonance between 1500 and 1800 rpms which is where the revolutions are at 60 mph on the freeway.

If you do decide to go with the flows, check out the Venturi system after a few weeks. Flow owners have installed these on their trucks with very satisfying results. BTW, the venturi is made by the same people who make the PV system.

For more info on the flows, the venturi, and the PV system, go to the Pacific Audio forum. Do a search on the PV system, flowmaster, and venturi. The search feature is on the top right when you get to the website. The forum has a lot of former flow owners who have opted to change to a PV.

http://209.35.112.209/performance/discussion.html

http://www.pvmufflers.com

and Matt, you could have done the links posting for me ya know.....lol

• minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Remember our last really great hailstorm in, what, '91 or '93? I was in DC this week and my truck was parked at DIA Wednesday night. Storm was bad enough to take out 32 UA aircraft; instant out of service. Couldn't get in the parking garage when I got to the airport so truck was out in the open in the economy lot. Guess what my hood and roof look like? At least the Access cover and Line-X saved the bed and bed rails, the glass survived, and I have a good insurance company.
    -- Don
    Thanks so much for the info on the muffler/cat back solutions on the Rado's. This is something I definitely want to get done, however not in haste and end up being unhappy. I talked to a local guy here (I live in NJ) and he suggested NOT putting on flowmasters but a Vortech muffler? I am not sure if that is the correct spelling. I am curious if you have heard of this brand name. Anyway I agree with you on the quality of the borla mufflers and I will have to check out the PV system.

I am looking to get better performance (HP), gas mileage, and just that great throaty sound. You both have been very helpful and I thank you very much. I will keep you posted on what I end up doing, as Im not sure if I will get it done b4 year end or maybe even next year. I just wanted to get started on my homework... LOL

Regards,

Jim
    Where did you get the toolbox from?

I went to home depot and couldnt find any

Ryan
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Want one of them storage bins that go under
    the back seat. Found your site but lost it.
    Post it again please..Is it on ryans site ?
    Ryan do u know it ? Thanks.........Geo
    check: post #3481 above for the link to my site with a some 'rado info on it. Don't mean to make you work for it...just trying not to be too guilty of self engrandizing.

Dean, you are again the man! The experience with exhaust systems you have is extensive enough that we all have an opportunity to benefit...just hope ya dont get tired of answering the same questions over and over....he he Now Ryan on the other hand is the fender flare expert...and he is tireless...hehehehehehe

matthew
  • grnsilveradogrnsilverado Member Posts: 23
    Maybe the Home Depot in your City doesn't carry them, but I'm sure you can order it. It is a Husky Brand, so Look by the Husky tools and you should see it.
    home depot. So unorganized. Maybe thats why i work at menards (maybe still might not go back in august)

Ryan
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    then we'll see you at tim's bar party in august. WooHoo, you hear that tim, Ryan's gonna make after all.
    to believe that one when i saw it!

..you getting my e-mails Mike?

- Tim
    http://members6.clubphoto.com/ryan392464/

check it out

i took a few pics of the toolbox i have under my rear seat

Ryan

• redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    just need some time between the family visit to answer them pal. he he........can you say New Castle or Guinness time a dozen or so..........
    :)
    ....well.....It's gonna be tough....but I'll give it a try

- Tim
    Ryan, I had a box similar to that under my rear seat, and what you have done is a great idea, but everytime I had to hit the brakes hard, which was often, it would slide out from under the seat. Now, I am not too annal, but it drove me nuts everytime one of my daughters or their friends got in the back seat, because I had to push it back under the seat. PITA! So that is why I built the fiberglass one that is pictured on my site.

Hope it works out for you, but if not...

matthew
    I really like your toolbox.

Mine was $13.99 from sears

How much did your you made cost?

I have zero problems. I have a blanket rolled up and i put it on top of it so the toolbox doesnt move (blanket touches bottom of bench and top of tool box)

Ryan
  • lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    Saw the pictures of the box that you built for under the seat good looking set up are you selling them yet? I don't have any experance with fiberglass except as an insulation so am wondering if I can get one from you. email me and let me know please. lwittorf@hotmail.com thanks Louie [I hope it was you that had the fiberglass box under the seat I just went back 350 posts and couldn't find it what is the # of that post?]
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    You're living dangerously! GF's mother riding in the back and you have a "concealed blanket" and a "tool box" under the back seat. LOL

Good luck on this one now!

Tom
This discussion has been closed.