Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Oby, you say you prefer the Borla's (wise choice I'd have to agree) over the PV's ?? Then why did you install the PV's? I know you have had a couple different systems on, Gibson & Flowmaster.

Blackmax,

Nice web site, thanks for all the info on Silverado now I don't have to buy that expensive service manual for the mundane things that need doing.
    Rhode Island is a great state to visit, I went often as a kid w/family to Mantunik Beack/Point Judith/Newport, ahhhh the memories.

Ray T.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I like both systems. However, chose the PV based on performance increase and actually having the opportunity to talk to the person who developed the PV and reading the comments of people who had just installed them. Yes, I had the Gibson which I cut in little pieces with my torch for revenge on its resonance.
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    what were you gonna say?
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..bring more beer??

- Tim
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Don, that's terrible. Saw the pictures from DIA. That hail really bashed up some stuff. Sorry about your truck. The last big hail storm you referred to was July 1990. That one nailed me.
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Out in Los Angeles this week. Driving 2001 2wd LS Xcab Pewter 5.3 auto rental vehicle. Gas is $1.93/gal, down $.10 since I was here a month ago.

My underseat storage bin was more in labor than materials as is was laid up by hand with quite a bit of hand finishing.

matthew
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    $1.27 for gas here.

I switched over to mobil gas and the truck seems to run better (quick acceleration etc.)

Ryan
    clean the exhaust pipe with an SOS pad. My tailpipe was looking pretty bad (dirty/tar) Used an SOS pad sunday and it is again very shiny and silver (still have tar but less than i did)

Ryan
    You are too anal babs!

LOL

- Tim
    I was bored had nothing to do. GF was at work. What else am i gonna do sit on my butt watch tv and drink beer like you? HAHA
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    Jim, I've used Flowmasters on all my trucks since 1988 (350's and one 454) and love the sound. I like the sound of a Borla but not the cost. The aluminized will last plenty long enough. I used the 50 series used prior to the new X-cab body in '99. I tried it but tooooo much resonance, so switched to the 70 series per suggestion from Flowmaster. I called Flowmaster before doing my 2001 and they are using the 70 series with a resonator on thier catback system. I wanted a louder note than the 70 offers so I went with the 50 series and a resonator and am extremely pleased. Nice sound out the back and very little resonance inside. Feels like more power but who's to say. MPG? Maybe a little better, but I do it for the sound! BTW....21 mpg on 500 mi round trip at 70 - 75 mph. That's a 2001 x-cab, 2wd with 5.3. (3.42 gears)
    Come on over to help me and Mike in August.....we will show ya how to work grasshopper.

....and I don't watch TV...just drink beer

haha

Next time ya need something to do....Uncle Bingo has a whole lotta crud on his "honey-do" list around here to do....

Jump in the 1500LD and come on over.....(if it can make it?)

- Tim
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Ryan, you could take a course to spruce up your HTML skills so you could script a 'rado website without pop-ups...
    BWHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

matthew
    grrrrrrr take a course? ok ill fit that in between my other 2 summer school classes

to cure my boardness after i washed the truck i played some bball

Ryan
  • michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    Hey all, back from vacation. This place hasn't changed.

Pulled a 2000 lb trailer load for about 1000 miles on the highway with the 1500 Z71 xcab 5.3L. Mileage from normal driving only dropped about 0.6 mpg. The rig ran great, didn't mind the load at all.

I love these Silverados!!!!
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    on the exhaust tip cleaning, use a small amount of kerosene, or gas on a rag-that'll remove the tar. Not to be anal about cleaning the tailpipe, but it,s noticable if neglected too long and it looks like heck when the rest of the truck is spotless. Also, what brand of gas did you run before running Mobil? just curious.
    you don't dare drive around with a dirty tailpipe, especially the little honda jobs with the mondo beer can size exhaust.
    coffee can red

I ran shell gas.

I can tell a difference with the mobil gas seems to have more OOOMMMPPPPHHHH get up and go.

Ryan
    shell gas has sand in it. a friend of mine (actually the REAL Lurd as i know him) once told me this. i didn't believe it until i had taken a sending unit out of one of the tanks on my bikes. it made a vibrating sound that had to be fixed. took two tries to fix it, and the first time i took it out it was clean inside the tank.(had been running Union76). put back together and filled with Shell. annoying noise was still there. ran tank almost dry, and dissasembled again, only this time i found sand inside the tank. never ran Shell gas again.
    dehumidifier to keep the gas dry......

Remember the Shell man with all the answers....
    but believe me, the stuff that came out of my tank was granules of sand. two machanics i know have said the same thing. could also be where it comes from out here as well.
    remember, stay away from the sand.
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    Sorry about the delay in responding, but I had to go down to America for eight days. I don't have the part numbers handy anymore, but in any case, I'm sure you wouldn't want that nice GMC logo on your Silverado!!!

Just saw a new Avalanche tonight. Dealer was already closed so I'll stop by tomorrow and check it out. I'll ride my bike so they'll be more receptive to me. They'd know I wasn't a serious buyer if I drove the '01 in!
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I could not find any Zaino Brothers products anywhere this past weekend, so I decided to go with the Mothers "The Ultimate Wax System".
    Phase 1 (Pre-wax cleaner)
    Phase 2 (Sealer and glaze)
    Phase 3 (Pure carnauba wax)
    I washed my truck (white/pewter) first with Dawn liquid dish soap, and have applied Phase 1 & 2 only so far. Hope to apply Phase 3 tonight. Even without Phase 3 yet the truck shined up really well.
    Has anyone else used the Mothers "The Ultimate Wax System" before, and if so how happy are you with the results (short term and long term)?

-David
    Zaino is mail order only

- Tim
  • dpayne1dpayne1 Member Posts: 8
    Ok guys I have decided to purchase a 2001 ext 4x4 LS with no options. Sticker is 28,731.00 Invoice is 25,230 per edmunds. What is a fair purchase price?
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Tim,
    Zaino....mail order only, now you tell me. That's ok, I'm pretty happy with Mothers.
    How does that old Karate Kid movie go....Wax On (left hand), Wax Off (right hand)?

dpayne1,
    I'm no master, but you should never-ever pay more than $500 over invoice for any new vehicle. A lot of people here have purchased their new trucks for between $100 and $500 over invoice.
    The way I see it, the sales persons gotta eat, the dealers gotta eat, the people that work at GM gotta eat, and I gotta eat too.

-David
    I got my 01 excab Z71 for $0 over invoice by being willing to wait for a custom order to arrive. (It took 5 weeks, but I got EXACTLY what I wanted.) No lot time for the dealer to absorb, and the holdback was adequate for his effort and profit.
  • punjabpunjab Member Posts: 102
    Back in January, I got my 01 xcab Z71 LT that a dealer had to trade for at $300 below invoice. Had 18 miles on it cause other dealer was 15 miles away.

By the way, the dealer, sales person, and GM employees were all still able to eat and buy a 12 pack on top of that.
  • whitevette01whitevette01 Member Posts: 79
    On another forum got this discussion going.
    who is the blame Ford explorer or the Firestone
    tire. Most blame the tire. think they need a
    3rd group, the people, probably have tires under
    inflated, vehicle over loaded and from the news
    shots seen on local - worn tires. Not to mention
    soccer mom maybe driving to fast with a cell
    phone to her ear.
    that it is FORD who is to blame.....they are the ones that told them to lower the pressure.

- Tim
    pockets and the million dollar propaganda team is gonna win. Doesn't matter who's to blame...cause it's gonna fall on the one that can least afford it.

Hmmm. Come to think of it...hey...the attorneys win.
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    "professional" mudflaps on my amateur stripper Silverado. I guess you got the upscale leather mudflaps and all I really need are the stock vinyl type. I guess I'll have to try JC Whitney where I belong. :):)
  • hartwick1hartwick1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at getting the New Crew Cab but have 3 Questions:

-One, have found conflicting info on towing capacity. is it 5k or 10k?
    -It has a new 6.0 engine. Is this a new engine design, 1st year?
    -What is the gas milage?

any help appriciated

Paul
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    It's fairly new, but based on the LS1 first tested in the '97 C5 (Corvette 345 hp), and 98 and up F-bodies (Camaro and Firebird). It differs with a cast iron block compared to the all aluminum blocks used in the cars. It's been used since '99 in trucks.

The LS1 is the most advanced small block design that still relies on pushrod simplicity. It achieves best in class fuel economy in the sibling versions, rated by EPA for 1/2 ton trucks, the 4.8L and 5.3L.
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    the 6.0 engine is in its 3rd year of production now. It now has aluminum cylinder heads for 2001 vs. the cast iron heads used in '99 and '00. Torque is also increased from 355 to 360 lb-ft (big deal).

The advertised tow rating is 10K, but based on my experience with my 2000 model, it won't pull anything close to that, except going downhill at sea level.
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    pickup. If a dealer wants you to pay more then walk away. Check the TMV here on this Edmunds site for a rough idea of pricing in your area. I would guess at least $500-$1000 below invoice is possible, especially since we are at model year end. Read the Silverado problems site if you have not already done so. Personally, I would think twice about the new 4.8 or 5.3 LS style V8s before buying your new LS. Buying a new truck with an engine knock or ping for $25K would bother me - but each to his or her own. I think the 4.3 V6 does not have this problem, if you can live without the extra horsepower of the V8s.
    Both engines are just fine. I wish more of you all would convince your friends to buy 2500s though, so the demand for 1500s would go down...
  • btate2002btate2002 Member Posts: 64
    My dad's 99 Sierra has the 5.3 and I have no clue what ping you guys are talking about. This truck is rock solid as far as the engine goes. Only 2 fit and finish problems. It's a great truck!
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    Just read about your trailer towing. Was it a travel trailer? If so, what size, weight, etc. Looking to purchase one later this year.
    thanks,

Jerry
    Naw, it was a Bayliner boat.

I'll tell ya what though. With all the camping gear we had (for six people), we would've never gotten it in one of those Tundras. No way.
    Called yesterday and left a message (i had work and school mom told me this morning)

I guess they are calling me about the nasty sevice review i gave them because they overfilled my tire by 27psi. (max is 65psi and they put in 82)

Should i call back? I dont want to really ticks me off they cant even fill a tire (only thing i told them to do was LUBE the chassis and check the differential fluids which i dont even think they did)

Ryan
  • 4x4man4x4man Member Posts: 222
    I would call 'em back and give 'em hell!!
    I had a similar issue with my old truck (97 Silverado) took it in for one of their free oil change services (for buying the truck from them) and they overfilled the oil by about 1/4 qt of oil, they said the belt was ok, yet it was cracked and damaged and they stated they checked the air in the tires. The tires were at 4 different pressures!! Not to mention the fact that when I popped the hood to check the oil level they didn't even put the damn oil cap back on it was on the radiator shroud!!!
    Needless to say I gave 'em hell!! They offered me another free oil change and I told them to stick it!
    Of course the dealer probably didn't care about me or the fact that I was upset about their crappy service, but at least I vented at them instead of the wife......
    I work on my own vehicles, but thought I would let the dealer change the oil that one time being as that it was free...guess I learned my lesson, however NO ONE will touch my new truck!!!
    Later,
    Bob
    They have pretty good service. They always take care of me. The foreman who always works on my truck is really through. i dont really want anything free or &$#%^*&# at em. I ran about 80 miles with my rear tire overfilled. I was doing 65-70mph what if that tire blew out. Im probably not sitting here today talking to you guys. I just want them aware. I was jyst lazy to lube the chassis so i took it in. WIll i ever pay the $11 again? NOPE ill do it myself. I was thinking of having them change the rear diff fluid soon (i will be towing) but after this HECK NO they wont. Id rather mess it up than them. Ill probably drop in today and visit them.

HMMM just thinking wonder if my mom would let me raise the garage and add a lift (one the truck goes on not body lift) to make maintenance easier?

Ryan
    Last time I checked 65+27= 92. Wassup with that?
    Obyone

I run 55 so thats how i got 27 over

In actuality it was only 17psi over

Ryan
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    I had a freaky thing happen. When I pulled into the driveway the other day I ran over my block heater cord! I don't know how it got down there, but it did. Has anyone ever traced theirs out? I don't know if it's routed in a wire loom or if it's separate and just tie wrapped off. I know some of the aftermarket units have a separate cord that plugs in right into the heater. Does the factory heater have such a cord and is there a replacement available at the dealer? If nothing else, I'll splice a cord in and I'll route it to a retractable power cord, which will make it much easier to use in the winter, since I won't have to use a separate extension cord anymore. Any ideas on where to mount such a thing? Thanks.

Erik
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    I believe the b.heater cord is separate and goes diectly to the block heater.
    ..I remember yawl saying about Diamond plate tool boxes for your trucks. I may have a lead on one or more?..brand new....I assume aluminum diamond plate. have to find out if it's in the box or over the rail type.

Somewhere between $75 and $150....brand new.

Lemme know

.....you could come get it in August Ryan?

- Tim
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    Wanna buy a Rolex???? LOL

Ryan, sounds like they could use some more help carring that Corian up the stairs! And someone to operate the Widgets.

Tom
This discussion has been closed.