Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• mikeb31mikeb31 Member Posts: 25
    That most of the time they will close the road when the conditions get that bad. I've only seen them ask for chains a couple of times and it was on the back roads goint to Northstar? I don't really remember what ski area, but it was a two lane mountain road. Most of the time 4WD is enough (probably all the time if you know how to drive and use it properly). Did chain up a CJ5 once driving into Mammoth lakes one year, about 2-1/2 feet of snow on a side road to the condo we rented that that wasn't plowed yet. Drove the Jeep a couple of times back and forth to knock down the snow and then led the three cars in our group to the condo, worked good. Funny thing a guy with a station wagon saw what we were doing and tried to follow us, but he had only one tire chained and got stuck. We pulled him out and told him he wouldn't get traction and not to try it again, well he tried again and got stuck. Pulled him out again and the idiot tried a third time. This time we told him to walk the two blocks to the gas station and get a tow truck.
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    on the bedliner paint removal thing. They did a quick, light scuff on mine before spraying in the Line-X. I suspect anyone using a grinder (?) or disc sander is being lazy, stupid, or both.
    -- Don
    Haven't had a set since I got my first 4-by in '75. Always relied on good tires and common sense, with a hi-lift jack and shovel as back up. Also carry a good tow strap and practice looking pathetic, just in case; but haven't needed either to get me pulled out yet. Sorry about CA law; hope Colorado never gets there.
    -- Don
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    you have such a way with words.....LOL
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    2001 1500 LS ExtCab Z71 on my way home, the gal ahead of me in a Suzuki Grand Vitara (same as Chev. Tracker) locked up to avoid a deer. I had to stand on it to keep from plowing into her. Nowhere else for either of us - deep concrete culvert on right and oncoming traffic to left. I know my trucks from the last 4 decades would have hit her, but these brakes are great. She hit the deer & let's say the Suzuki isn't so Grand anymore.
    It was a big one for these parts (150-170lbs) and I was already figurin' freezer space, when it stopped its thrashin', got its feet under it, and ran off. Still no deer blood in the Chevy bed. The young gal was pretty shaken, even though she did everything right, so I checked hood latch(OK) and coolant (no leaks), gave my name as witness for her insurance & followed her about 10 miles to make sure she got back OK.
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    comment on the spray type liners. What difference does it make if they do anything to the paint, the liner covers the area and is warranted for as long as you own the vehicle. Oh well, I'm happy with mine.

Dano
  • kanton1kanton1 Member Posts: 41
    I just came across this link. Some might be interested.

Kyle

http://alldata.com/recalls/index.html

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
  • kanton1kanton1 Member Posts: 41
    for trucks with the dual battery option to be built, it appears that the constraint has been lifted. According to wheels.com on the assembly line page the dual battery delay is no longer listed. the only thing listed still is the dmax.

Kyle
    I'm with you on this one. Probably doesn't make much difference; except for when some fool starts cutting metal in the process of scuffing up the paint. Ever see how fast an idiot with a grinder can thin out convoluted sheet metal? Also doesn't hurt my feelings to at least have the factory primer intact. Not sure that it really matters, but it makes me feel better -- sorta warm and fuzzy ya' know?
    -- Don
    so this issue is resolved finally! (i hope)...(:o>
    -
    Ryan- thanks for posting that link. sorta overides the preceeding (and outdated links). glad to see someone is on top of things in here.
    im always on top of things

hey guys give me suggesions on some songs to download. Im at like 75 and i cant think of any more :(
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    heard it on the radio this morning on my way to work. Paul McCartney did it first "Band on The Run" but it's been updated w/his blessing to represent a more pressing matter "Taliban on The Run".

I'm sure you read/heard about the plane crash the other day, I had a buddy who's a volunteer firefighter helping with the recovery and loading the body bags, he said it was horrible. He said he saw what was left to a new Silverado in the area that took a hit. And now they think part of the cause was from "jetwash" caused by the 747 that had taken off 2 minutes before hand ! I don't fly often but this sure makes ya wonder if driving might be the better way. I am going down to World Trade Center "ground zero" on Saturday to survey area since I finally got clearence to do so, had some aqaintances that lost their lives there.

Ray T.
    I agree!
    Resolved, see above.
    Thanks for the link. I changed 2000 to 2001 and it shows the 2001 information. I'm wondering though, just because there is a bulletin it is possible some updates were completed before the truck was delivered to a dealer. I'll check the site if I notice anything strange.

Dano
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    >heard it on the radio this morning on my way to work. Paul McCartney did it first "Band on The Run" but it's been updated w/his blessing to represent a more pressing matter "Taliban on The Run".<

Adding that to my collection asap.
  • mikeb31mikeb31 Member Posts: 25
    Just took it in, 2002 ex cab, ls, 5.3, 5.73 trailer package, snug top, bed rug. 3085 mi. 1 month (driving fool). Went over to the parts dept and they had an Escalade instrument panel on display and one in the box to be installed today. $429 installed Connell Chevrolet in Costa Mesa CA. So far no problems with the truck, didn't use any oil, no noises, just wish I wasn't working so much so I could wash it, last wash two weeks ago.

Bought some Zano, hopefully the next week or so I'll get a chance to put it on, but the holidays are coming up and Thanksgiving is at my house this year. Got a turkey fryer for Christmas last year, going to give it a try.

Mike
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Good Luck with the new truck !
    You'll need about 5 gallons of cooking oil for that turkey fryer but what a difference between oven cooking !

Ray T.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    Good luck at work.
    i was fortunate to be able to drive out to the coast last night and meet Matt (Blackmax). i can now say i have met two awesome people that have been regulars to this thread. although i consider all the regulars in here to be friends i feel fortunate to actually meet at least two from this board. Matt is an exceptional individual, and i want to say thanks for being there Matt, and for spending the time to show me what it is that you do that keeps you from home during the week. hope you had a safe flight home.
    Mike
    Thats awesome!!!

Wanna fly to indiana to hook up a sound system in my truck for me? haha
    aand after meeting and talking with him, i'd probably feel safer if he was there to doing aany thing related to work on our trucks. the man knows his stuff. one excellent tip i'll pass on to ya though, AC Ultra Guard filters, are the way to go. when you hear what i heard, it makes a lot of sense to spend a little more.
    where do you get them?

I have like 10 PF-59's left in my garage cabinet
    Finally went and got the Husky liners today. Very nice fit and the coverage in the rear is complete. Local price was a little more than web price but I got them right then, no shipping delays.
    The Dell is being built according to their order status page. The ship date shows the 4th of December but I doubt it will take that long. It will be nice to have something faster than my 200MMX Micron. This was top of the line 3 years ago.
    Glad to know trucks don't depreciate that fast!!

Dano
    HAHA Sounds just like me. I kept checking the status whenever i could.

You will love it trust me. My new one is amazing.

Did you order the zip drive?

I kinda wish i had now i am looking for an external one (might be better then i can use it on my other computer also since i drag that one back and forth to school now)

Ryan
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    At one point I had thought that it was a cutting edge company. Last order placed for a desktop in January took 3 weeks to build and ship. If you go to their forums and see the amount of online complaints about delivery times being delayed for months at a time....one begins to wonder.

Upholstered front buckets....dealer sent them out to get reupholstered for third time saying that this was the best solution other than ordering new seat. Seat came back and installed into truck. Took a look at it and had to laugh. Doesn't look anywhere near what it used to look like NOR what it is supposed to look like. Being that they had three times to fix this deformed seat....I wonder if they'll give in order a new one?
  • mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    Why would you want a zip drive? The cartridges are expensive and small. Why not get a CD burner (you should have gotten an internal). You can get a USB CD burner for a little more than a zip drive and store 600 MB on a $.15 CD-R.

Peter
    bring your truck to my dealer, he'll do it right......j/k...{:-)
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    The guys that hang here are top of the notch! Mike and I hooked up last night in CA...now picture this...the road from where he lives to where we got together looks like an angry snake on the map. I can just imagine the conversation Mike had with his wife..."we'll go 2 and a half hours in the dark one to meet this guy I have never talked to before...and oh by the way I'll buy you diner by the Pacific Ocean in Monterey"

I want to tell ya'll Mike keeps his equipment in absolutely beautiful condition. His wife's 'rado looks like it just came off the showroom...(not off the back lot...the SHOWROOM!

They are both neat people and we have the good fortune of having seelig among us...

As time goes on I'm sure that some of our paths will cross and that makes life neat!!

Mike, cutting board is now wrapped with a bow, wife's birthday is 12-15...thanks again guy!

Got 4 hours sleep last night, Courtyard-SFO was $165/night, and flight was good. BTW guys NO MORE friendly skies! Guardsmen with assault rifes at security entries...plan 2 hours before flight time to get your stuff done!

matthew
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Hey, it's Friday! Just a reminder that the Friday Freeway Chat & Trivia Game chat is on tonight (5-6pm Pacific/8-9 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/freewaychat.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

i have a burner but that doesnt help saving files at school and transfering back and forth
  • doverarjimdoverarjim Member Posts: 23
    Ryan get a zip drive I've got a 100, wish the 200 was out when I put mine into my computer, I have it set up to back up our e-mail about every 10 minutes that way when windoze crashes any e-mails we have gotten will be saved from any loss.
    Ryan has XP...it's not supposed to do that!!
    BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA

matthew
    Does that mean xtra paint? Just kidding.

Oby, That is why I will not buy a computer myself. I have always had one supplied by the company and until last year when we were bought it was always current.

Ryan, does you school not have USB capable machines? Zip is OK if that is your only option. I'll check my old stocks and see if I have anything to use.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAA.....<:-()
    our school have usb?

Well the computers in the lab you cant hook anything up. Many computers already have zip drives installed. A few of my engineering labs have old and i mean old and slow computers. Many of the newer labs have 1.8GHZ dells which are wonderful

Also truck related: Jumped on the amber DRL bandwagon. I am replacing mine tomorrow to the amber bulbs. I guess i am in modification withdrawl. Gotta do something. Oh and also lube the chassis im due for that

Ryan
    check around and you might find some blue bulbs for the DRL's........you've come this far with blue, no reason to stop now........;-)
    Ok before I go and get paranoid you guys can help.

Just went outside with the wife and she started the new truck and poof, large plum of light blue smoke from the exhaust. Should I be concerned or just watch it and hope it doesn't mean anything bad? I haven't even made it to a 1000 miles yet.

DRL's, how do you get to them to change the bulbs?

Dano
    blue smoke i have heard the pvc valve needs to be changed it has cured others who have thios problem

Take out the headlights to get to the bulbs its easy only &*#^&&^# problem is i cant pull out the headlights all the way because of my grill guard. I need those torx screwdriver bits to remove the light guards. Dont have the correct size so i gotta wait till tomorrow.

I did lube the chassis however
    side shot of truck no more chrome on mirrors LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER!!!

Oh yea i am also getting a better digital camera for xmas so the pics after then wont suck as much

LAZY BUM

took a nap back there today

• txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    on changing a headlight to see how to take it out. Just two pins to rotate and pull out. Then pull the headlight up out of the way being careful not to scratch anything. Then rotate and pull out the DRL, pull the bulb out and replace with amber.
    "blue smoke i have heard the pvc valve needs to be changed it has cured others who have thios problem"

You mean there is more than one owner with a pvc problem? Doh!! Should we use some pvc glue?
    Did the manual also say not to touch the glass portion of the bulb? Cause the oil contaminant on your fingers could cause the bulb to explode when used?
    Dano, this bears watching to see if it continues...

I am guessing that it may have been a one time occurance... The valve seals in the new engines (5.3 et all) are vastly improved over the old small block (5.0/5.7)engine, but it is new and it may need some time to seat everything together.

My ElCamino starts up and looks like a Mercury outboard at first, but only goes through 1/2 qt of oil between changes... When I was building racing engines, we really never worried about that stuff, because we figured the upper valvetrain was getting lubricated at least. Samee thing with the puff we would ocasionally see out the exhaust at around 9000 RPM.

Watch it, if it should continue or get worse, have it checked.

matthew
    opps sorry bout that
    it was a "pcv" doohickee........~:-)
    Old, classic, high mileage valve seal symptom often coupled with plugged/restricted drain holes in the head; but certainly shouldn't be doin' it in a new engine. How long had it been sitting and has it done it again?

Also, anybody know what's with this PCV valve business? This only seems to be a recent issue. Did GM maybe just get a bad lot of valves that have only affected some 2001s or what? Anyway, easy to check/fix since it's a 2 buck part aftermarket; at least I assume it still is.
    -- Don
    I must be a lot older than you are. I remember back when 10,000 rpm was the small block holy grail and a "puff" of smoke at 9,000 meant run like hell and hope you didn't get personally punctured by something out of the following cloud of shrapnel.
    -- Don
    let me know if the board doessn't match the new granite. feel free to pick a different color and i'll get another off to ya......glad to see you had a safe trip back.
    are you still experiencing tranny problems?
This discussion has been closed.