Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    They do that all the time on New York State Thruway, my buddy a retired N.Y. State Trooper, says it's one of the easiest speed enforcement tools out there, just sit on side of road or in median drinking coffee and catching up on news. The mear presence of the car is enough to make us all look down at the speedo and slow down cuz ya don't know if the chase car is around the next corner. I for one rely on my Valentine One detector, it has saved me numerous times while others fly by and get pulled over.

Ray T.
  • erikf2erikf2 Member Posts: 100
    Point is, folks who weren't even speeding were applying the brakes just 'cause the trooper was there, thereby causing the backup. I don't know how many times I've seen people doing the speed limit, or even UNDER, and they STILL hit the brakes when they see the trooper. I don't mind if it makes the people who are 10+ over slow down, but why do you have to slow down even more if you're already at or under the limit?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    better to be safe than sorry.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    what happened to discussing fender flares nerf bars etc?

AHHH I CANT TAKE IT
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    The blue mirrors. LOL
    -Eric
    the BFG's, the Rhino Liner and the Bilstein's!! LOL

OK back to truck stuff, had rotors turned to solve pedal pulsation, I wanted new, dealer says they get turned first if problem returns they replace then, told him I'd see him in the spring for the new ones. The cold & snowy N.Y. winters will shurely do them in now that they took even more heat dissipating steel off of them.

Ray T.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Hello all,

I'm new to this forum (though not to Town Hall), so I checked back over the last 50-60 posts for some basic info, but unfortunately what I need to know isn't there. So, would someone be kind enough to bring me up to speed on some very basic stuff? I'm considering a 1500/2500 HD LT, so:

1: How is pricing in relation to invoice at the moment?
    2: I picked up on the steering shaft problem in earlier posts. Any other current issues I should be aware of?
    3: What sort of time are factory orders taking to come through?

TIA for your consideration.
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    the pulsation is probably coming from some runout in the rotors from rust flakes that fall between the inside of the rotor and hub flange, cocking the rotors in relation to the axle centerline. this may happen when you loosen the lug nuts to rotate the tires. The last time I rotated mine I noticed that the New England winter (along with the fact I live by salt water), had started to cause some flaking.

To avoid the runout this might cause, I took the calipers and rotors off, and cleaned the snot out of the inside of the "hat" section and the face of the flange. Then used my dial indicator to check the rotors on the flange to make sure they were "0" runout. (actually, closest I could get on a couple of them was .001) Had to make up some spacers to go between the nut and rotors to hold them on the flange while doing this.

Now, NO tire shop is going to take the time to do this and dealer mechanics often forget that runout leads to thickness variation and pedal pulsation. If there is as little as .004 of runout it will allow the rotor to hit the pads and wear the rotor unevenly. The uneven wear is high and low spots about 180 degrees apart on the braking surfaces of the rotor. As little as .001 of "Rotor Thickness Variation" (RTV) will cause pedal pulsation.

What makes things worse is the rotors are "phase matched" during assembly at the factory, and if the tech machining the rotors doesn't mark the original alignment of the rotor position on the hub in relation to the wheel studs, AND doesn't use a dial indicator to verify that the rotors are running true to the perpendicular centerline of the axle, it may come back with the pulsation within 2 to 12 weeks.

Yes, rotor mass has some bearing on the heat absorbtion and disapation, but warping due to heat becomes runout, and that leads to RTV and pedal pulsation. No matter what the reason for developing the runout is, the majority of pedal pulsation is caused by rotor thickness variation.

BUT proper servicing will prevent an unnecessary repair!!

I used to spend a great deal of time discussing this situation with technicians and installers all over the country, until my headquarters office moved from here to Detroit...so now, after 20 years with Bendix, I guess I will have to find someone else to pay for my services.

Hope this might help explain the, why it is happening, and how to avoid having it repeated.

matthew
    remember my brake dilema (squeak ones). I had my rear rotors turned and pads replaced and 2 wks later squeak at low speeds came back.

Well i took the tire off and sanded off the surface rust (very light coat) myself put the tire back on and a few months have passed with no more squeak.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    1: How is pricing in relation to invoice at the moment?

That depends on your dealer. I deal through the fleet department, because I know what I want far better than the salesman does. Invoice or under right now.

2: I picked up on the steering shaft problem in earlier posts. Any other current issues I should be aware of?

Steering shaft shouldn't be an issue on a 2002.

3: What sort of time are factory orders taking to come through?

Again, it depends on your dealer, and if he has an allocation from GM for a pickup. No allocation = no order. Nobody claims to understand the system. Ask your dealer if he has an allocation. If he does, he should be able to get you an order number in a week or so. If not, try another dealer. My dad went to one dealer and ordered and waited 6 months, while I went to a different dealer and ordered and waited 6 weeks.

Mike L
    Thanks, Mike L.
    Matt, I'm open to the wisdom of those who know & taught it too, anytime, thanks for the explaination. I doubt very much the GM Tech at the dealer marked the rotor in relation to stud it came off for the "phase match" done at factory, I wished I had known I would have done so myself and double checked when I got truck back. I'll cross my fingers at this point that it does not come back. I just remember all the past rotor problems GM used to have in the older trucks. I did not notice any rust built up in the "hat" section or vents, I think some very hard braking going to fire/ambulance calls is what heated them to the point of warp, my guess. Most of my mechanical wisdom was passed down to me from my father who was a machinist and later tool/die maker for Texaco Research Center in Glenham, N.Y.

Mac, Ditto what Mike says and additionally to #3 when I first ordered my truck the dealer told me he had an allotment, after 12 weeks of waiting all of a sudden they did not have the allotment, they lost the sale. I found a dealer who did have allotment and verified by watching the order get placed in GM ordering system computer with a confirmation of order shown on screen and printed out for hard copy. First thing you need to know after that is TPW (target production week) that you can get from GM Customer Assistance or your dealer after about 1-3 weeks after order, from there truck is built then shipped whenever. I placed my order 2nd week of December 1999, went thru 2 TPW's before truck was built week of 2/7/00 in Pontiac East Plant and I took delivery 2/26/00.

Ray T.
    Thanks Ray T. Must be almost as frustrating for the dealer/salesman. They make nothing if you have to buy elsewhere.

Mac
    Ray, will be going to Nickel City for Christmas, have to use the station wagon as the kids like to sprawl, and don't ride well in the Xcab after 2 hrs. Not looking forward to the projected weather report for the thruway around Syracuse either.

It would be good to mark the rotors and studs with a small center punch mark to a primary stud the next time you rotate the tires.

matthew
    R.I. to Syracuse, that's a bit of a haul for ya, especially with kids. The "snowbelt" can be brutal on the thruway if you catch the storms, a good set of snow tires I hope you have on that wagon cuz the all-seasons won't cut it.
    We pass that way every year, take thruway at New Paltz to Rte. 81 then off to the north country for our trip to Ontario but it's during the camping season not snow shoe season. LOL
    Now Rhode Island, hmmmm spent many a summers at Matunik Beach and Point Judith while growing up.

So I take it throwing the kids in the bed of Rado so they can sprawl out when they get ansi is outta the question? LOL

Have a safe trip!

Ray T.
    Hey Ray, you got some over there? Send it my way, please! The rain-way seems more fitting currently :(
    -Eric
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Hey Hannibal ny here exit 4o (weedsport) off the
    thruway 19 miles east (rt 34)off exit.
    Not any snow !! Dying to try out my new
    2500 and snow plow ! If your in Syracuse
    and need a break.. call we can have a cold
    one at the Hannibal Hotel 315 564 7355
    .........Geo
    Yes I am a glutton for punishment. Lived there for 5 years, worked the area for 8 years, '77 & '78 winter paid for my '75 GMC 2500 w/plow in 3 months. LOTTTTTSSSS of snow that year...like 174 inches! Plowed every night, 38 nights straight...couldn't believe it...truck was dead in 3 more years though.

Hey Eric, Weather Channel says snow is up in higher elevations, but you're gonna have rain for a while.

matthew
    Hey sorry but could you possibly email me the link to your site? I lost all my bookmarks during the excite@home fiasco.

Thanks

Ryanb0928@yahoo.com
  • acastlemanacastleman Member Posts: 23
    Hello

Can anyone tell me how to find out what kind of inventory local dealers have WITHOUT having to go through a dealer?

Thanks

Al
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    http://www.gmbuypower.com

Enter your zip code, and then "search" inventory on local dealer lots. You can view the VIN number, and copy of the window sticker, with all the options, and MSRP price.

• quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    And have a Happy, Happy Silverado!!!

Hittin' the highway along with all the other holiday travellers, delivering Christmas presents to all the good girls and boys in my Silverado HD.
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    is a great way to go. I was getting ready to order my new truck when I checked it out. I saw a truck that fit the bill perfectly. When I asked to see it, I was told it was in transit. I put down a deposit and picked it up a week or so later, before anyone else had a chance to test drive it. So you are not only seeing the current inventory, but also units ordered but not delivered.
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    Does anyone have the FW1 (ride & handling control) option with the Z71 package? Does this shock absorber control all four shocks or just the rear ones?

Thanks
    Ralph Coos
    Happy New Year everyone
  • tonyytonyy Member Posts: 26
    I am considering the heavy half chevy and perhaps lifting it 3 or 4 inches to accommodate larger dia. tires. This x-tra clearance would be nice for the rugged mountian terian I hunt. Any advice on this truck or lifting would be greatly appreciated.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    There are several 4 inch kits out there,just don't go too high or you wont like the way it drives on the highway.
    kip
    Didn't know what to do next with the truck...so I ordered the exterior Escalade handles and the interior Denali ones......
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    or just color-coded? I''ve never noticed.
    are chromed...the exterior are painted smooth.
    What about upgrading the guage cluster? I am starting to like the Denali version...
    -Eric
    but figured I'd get the matching handles and mirrors done at the same time...making the exterior of the truck look a little better. Actually since my truck is black, the door handles are hardly noticeable as they are......
    I like the denali gauge cluster

how much those run?
    the Whipple? Or a paxton or Superdyne... Something for a smile factor.
    Try JP's site. I tink he had links to another site which listed prices. Something around $250 if I recall.
    will warrant everything besides the motor. Current argument with dealer is that SC will void powertrain warranty...motor I can understand...trans and rearend...well let's just say it's still open for discussion.
  • michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    Hey all...been gone a while. Hunting season, hockey season, and a brand new son take up a lot of time.

Q: How do I know when I got enough grease into a zerk?

Stupid I know....but just trying to make sure my observations match what is correct.
    2-3 pumps of the grease gun or till the boot gets firm
  • mpalombompalombo Member Posts: 186
    So I created a picturetrail album. If anybody is interested in seeing it, it's here.

http://www.picturetrail.com/nh_mark

There are only 3 pics right now, I'll add more as I get them.

Also, what do you guys think about displaying pics of your truck with the license plate visible? I figure it doesn't matter since anybody can see it when I'm driving around anyway. At the last minute I decided to blot it out, I figured "better safe than sorry".

-Mark

MICH congrats on the new baby

Mark what kind did you get? I got an HP318
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Can someone please re-post the web link that shows some pictures of all of the zerk locations on a 2001 Silverado ext-cab Z-71.
    Thanks.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    That's the one.....thanks Ryan.
    I got an HP215. I was not even expecting it, it was a great surprise.
    Sounds cool.

I originally got a 1 megapixel dcs3200 kodak but i took it back (rebate expired) and got the 2.3 megapixel HP for a little more money.
    Cool. I also got a scanner (HP2200c) so I can also post pics that I take with my film camera. I figured I'll use the 215 for a while and if I really get into digital photography then I'll upgrade.
    I bought a microtek scanner beginning of december to use for lab reports for school. Its a good thing to have even if you use it occasionally. It was only $60
    Twisted arm...ordered a cluster...from gmpartsdirect....$240. Hopefully they will combine with my door handle order...LMAO!!
    Let me know how difficult it is to install. I am really contemplating it. Is it the same as on your Denali?

And how much was shipping? Thanks.
    -Eric
    Dean, are planning on paying to have the mileage altered on the new dash? I really don't see the point, but...
This discussion has been closed.