Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Tom, my deepest sympathies, I am so sorry for your loss and that you had to make such an agonizing decision. You did the right thing.

--Mark
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I remember watching Johnny Carson years ago when Jimmy Steward came on and read his poem about his dog (link).

Seems a fitting tribute to Ross Allen, although Ross Allen was better mannered.

Steve, Host
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    I laid in the floor beside him with his head cradled in the crook of my arm, and I put my face down on top of his head. I talked to him as they gave him the shot. I told him over and over what a good dog he had been and how much I loved him.

Well, 53 years old and that part, other than just the event itself, had me in tears....

I certainly have been there, and your very loving and emotional description of Ross Allen's final minutes is very poignant. Tom, he knew of your unconditional love for him, and believe me...he was peaceful hearing your voice and feeling you breathe next to him.

Time will heal your hurt, but Ross Allen's love will never leave you. Just remember that...

With Sympathy and Admiration,

Randy
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    Tom,

My dearest sympathies. I know I'm not on here too often, but you (and everyone else here, for that matter) are all great 'friends' of mine, no question. As a fellow dog lover and friend, I could not help but shed tears for you and Ross Allen--I'm 24 years old, so refer to randyace's post and you can see the spectrum of generations you and your beloved dog have so dearly touched not just lately, but throughout your years here. I greatly admire your courage, and you forever have my outmost respect--you made the right decision, and don't be fooled--Ross Allen knows it. I couldn't imagine going through such an ordeal with my beloved boxer, Casey. Everyone is here for you always, Tom...be strong and anxiously await (but patiently!) the day when you will no doubt be reunited with Ross Allen. The Jeep community has certainly lost of its most adorable and enthusiastic friends. Rest assured, Ross Allen will never be forgetten amongst us.

While the prayers were many, just know that they will NOT cease now for both you and Ross Allen.

Tom, take care and be strong.

Ryan
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    By the way, Tom, I forgot to mention...

Congratulations on the new, healthy granddaughter! Best wishes for the baby, mom, and family.

You see, God does work in mysterious ways...

Ryan
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You have our condolence. Know that our best bud will always be in our hearts.

tidester, host
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Tom and Ross Allen, you're both in my thoughts and prayers.

Be sure and tell your beautiful new grandaughter lots of RA stories!

-Dan
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    You and Ross Allen will continue to remain in our prayers. I know that it is never easy to lose a devoted friend like Ross Allen. Please know that we all grieve with you. I am so, so, sorry.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    leafchild posted a story several years ago when I wrote about losing my hiking buddy (a 10 year old Golden). It was a lovely story and you might want to go to post 9381 - it was very comforting for me. (I'd do a link to that post, but I don't remember how to do such things anymore). My prayers are with you right now.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
  • chiefusnchiefusn Member Posts: 20
    Right now, Ross Allen is tellin' his buddies up there at the 'Bridge' that his Dad has a lil white Wrangler and that he was Tom's co-pilot every weekend.
    God Bless Ross Allen and all the other furry lil guys up there now. We're all gonna see em again someday. :)
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    I know I'm late on the Ross topic. Having lived my life with several, who lived both relatively long and short lives, I can only humbly offer a quote-

"A good dog never dies - he always stays. He walks besides you on crisp autumn days when frost is on the fields and winter's drawing near, his head is within our hand in his old way." - Mary Carolyn Davies
    Most clubs will not allow you to join a trail run without a full-size spare. I've seen plenty of Wranglers with the roller-skate lift (huge wide street tires on offset wheels) with a stock or no spare on the street, but never on the trail.

If you're too strapped to get the spare, maybe waiting a while would be best. On any lift, and please ask anyone who's done it for confirmation, there will be a 25% surcharge in time and cost for things you didn't think of when you bought the parts.
    "Rollerskate lift..."

I absolutely cannot stand that look on any vehicles, much less Wranglers. There are several here as well, and I always shake my head when I see them. I always visualize those spacers or whatever collapsing and the wheels just flying off of them. And you're right, they always seem to have the 28" spare on the back. I hate that!
    on my Canyons and they barely stick out from the flares, but they don't rub. I'm on 30's now, but will be running 32's as soon as the 30's wear out.

I checked the lugnuts on the spacers 100 miles after installing them and after 500 miles. Verified with a torque wrench and they have not budged. I've taken them offroad and been offcamber with them and have had no issues with them whatsoever. My only gripe is that once they get dirty, they don't look all pretty and blue (not that you can see them anyway).

-Paul
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    When my daughter was about seven years old her dog, Taffy, past away. Taffy was in our family since my daughter was around two or three, so she took her death very hard. We all did. Fortunately, we had a picture taken of my daughter holding Taffy just a few days before Taffy’s passing. In order to help my daughter get past Taffy’s passing I superimposed the poem “Rainbow Bridge” onto a picture of mountains (very peaceful). I then framed the poem and the photograph taken of Taffy and my daughter and hung them in the family room where we could look on to them and remember Taffy is always in our hearts.

To this day when we miss Taffy we look at poem and photograph and fell better.

Tom, you may want to consider doing something similar to help in your healing process.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    As kind as all of you have been to me through this time of sorrow, I felt that I owed it to you to check in and let you all know how I am doing.

If you have posted a message of sympathy or sent me an email and have not received a reply from me, please forgive me. I think I have answered all the emails, but I might have missed a couple. I probably have not responded to very many of the posts, but I truly appreciate all of them.

I am definitely hurting. This house seems so empty without Ross Allen. For the last ten years, he has been here with me, never far from my side.

I got very little sleep last night, even though I thought that I would really crash. I was so emotionally drained that I thought it would be easy to go to sleep. Sleep just wouldn't come.

I'm going to be experiencing a lot of "firsts" for a while, and they always hurt.

Last night was the first night that Ross Allen didn't sleep on the floor beside my bed.

This morning was the first morning that Ross Allen didn't come up to me with his tail wagging and put his head on top of my thigh, wanting to be petted as I sat on the edge of the bed. Of course, he couldn't do that any more after he got so sick, but up until then, that was our morning greeting to one another.

Tomorrow will the first time, except, of course, after he got so sick, that I will come home from work and won't get my usual greeting from Ross Allen.

I have fits of crying, and I guess that will go on for a good while, but, hopefully, less frequently.

I feel that a big part of me is missing, and I guess that's because it is.

All who knew Ross Allen fully realize that he was one of a kind. I may have another dog someday, but there will never be another one like him. I felt unworthy to be the human that belonged to Ross Allen. I often wondered what I ever did to deserve such a wonderful dog. There is no doubt that God brought us together.

Please, keep me in your prayers. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to endure. Thanks again for all of your expressions of sympathy.

Tom
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    If you're too strapped to get the spare, maybe waiting a while would be best.

The real point here is what happens when you get a flat. Fitting an mismatching sized tire to an axle with a diff is going to cause expensive damage in a very short distance, even more so if the diff is a limited slip.

I wouldn't mind betting the cost of repair would be greater than that of a new correct sized tire. ;)
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    Tom:

Looks like I'm late replying as well. Just logged in for the first time in a few days. These have been a very tough series of posts to read dry-eyed. Maybe impossible, especially for anyone with special pets.

When our family was in the process of moving from Indiana to Oklahoma, I spent some "ahead time" out here while my boys finished 5th and 7th grade with Mom. We had a chocolate lab (mix) who was a great, "people-pleasing" dog whose only vice was escaping from the back yard and roaming our neighborhood from time to time. She had acquired us through some friends of ours; she was aptly named Traveler.

One Thursday afternoon, I got a call from my wife that Trav had been AWOL again, but showed up in our front yard later in the day. Trav seemed really sluggish, so my family carried her to the car to see the vet. Friday's call was really rough, something about possible kidney failure - - probably due to ingestion of anti-freeze somewhere. Needless to say, there was a flight home, my own trip to the vet on Sunday to make the same difficult choice you had to, and more than a few tears all around. Traveler was still a young dog, and I don't know where she got into anti-freeze (not our home) but it's deadly on kidneys. I know there are "bitter" versions designed to help with this problem; people just need to be aware.

You know we're with you in this. "The Rainbow Bridge" is something I plan to share with pet-loving friends everywhere.

Take care!
    Gary
    People, some of you may not know that Ross Allen came from the dog pound. My daughter went and got him without asking permission to get a dog.

This beautiful, intelligent, and sensitive dog could have been put to sleep at the pound. Most likely, some or all of his litter mates met that fate. See what wonderful potential those poor animals that are being euthanized at dog pounds have?

People, spay your pets! When you want a dog, go to the pound and rescue one.

Tom
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    For anyone who may have just recently wandered onto this site, it might be somewhat confusing. We have tons of regulars to this forum, even more dedicated "lurkers", and a few key contributors. I won't begin to name them because I know I'd leave some out inadvertently. We're open to all.

You would be hard pressed to find a better group of people anywhere. The fact that we have a common bond in Wranglers is merely a coincidence, and served as the catalyst to get us here to begin with. (I think there is another school of thought that there are no "coincidences"......)

You have to bear with us for a while as we pay tribute to one of our fallen colleagues, which should be clear if you read the posts from the last week. Go ahead and fire off any questions or comments relating to Wranglers - - we'll offer support there as well!

Y.H!
    Gary
    I think it's time to get back to Jeep stuff. I appreciate our hosts and all of you members here allowing the posting to be mostly about Ross Allen and me. It was off topic, but not entirely off topic, since Ross Allen was most defintely a Jeep dog.

I have begun the healing process, and time will ease my pain. I still ask that you keep me in your prayers.

I thank each and every one of you for the kindnesses you have shown me throughout Ross's illness, his death, and my initial grieving.

I firmly believe that dogs go to Heaven, and I know that I will be reunited with my sweet puppy again.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep(dog) today?

P.S.

God has blessed me with a beautiful, healthy new granddaughter, so there is joy for me in the midst of the sadness.
    I think one or more of your grandkids needs to become a Jeep wheelin chick in a car seat! :)

-Paul
    To get back to Jeep stuff I'll post this for those of you who have removed or hate your floatie bumper ballon end caps. For some 06 models, like Xs and SEs Jeep is sending them with these new much better look caps. I ordered mine from Wyckoff-Chrysler online. They seem to be the only dealer who knows the correct part number. Front and back caps together only cost $25. Here is a pic from their page:

Here's the link to the website: End Caps
    Wow does that ever look better! And, their survivability off-road should be many times better. I think that might do until I can get the Mopar Armor bumpers...
    Did you say this is the 06 factory setup?
    Yeah, but not on all. Sports and Rubicons and special additions still come with the balloons. The balloons for front and rear are like 3 times more expensive.
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Those do look better. I do have to say, however, that the bumperette came in handy recently. I found that mine had been bent back, presumably because someone hit it / backed into it in a parking lot or the like. If the bumperette hadn't been there to absorb the impact, the offending vehicle might well have hit my tire, or fender.

-Mike
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Just to follow up on the hands free discussion we were having recently, this article discusses a proposed nation-wide ban on cell phones for new drivers, and also lists states that already have similar legislation enacted.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050920/ap_on_hi_te/teen_drivers_cell_phones;_ylt=AoOLA08ndpmd- - algXcu92Mwys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg-
    They won't do squat against a determined tree. :) I now have a dented fender - I'm hoping to flat fender it! :)

Armored flat fenders + corners + rockers = good thing :)
    -Paul
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I got these on last night, and I couldn't believe how much better they look. Of course, I took the front balloons off after I bought my Jeep, but it looks so much better with the caps closing in the bumper. I wasn't sure how the back would look, but I was very pleased. It looks much, much better. I'll try to posts some pics at some point.
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    These look great, thanks for sharing. I ordered a set online this morning, but they are now on backorder.

Mark
    I'm not surprised. The guy at Wyckoff said they seriously underestimated the demand for them. I think they initially told me it would be 3 to 4 weeks but I got them in two.
    Time to order a new bumper for the Unlimited. I have a chance to buy a cheap cargo trailer, and I need the receiver anyway. I can add a receiver only, but it would just drag off-road, so I might as well get a new bumper.

Quadratec has some choices with a receiver in it for < $250. I kind of like the Warn, but eventually would like to get one that I could add a good tire carrier to. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Most aftermarket bumpers are designed to either have a carrier or not. Adding later isn't something easily found, but you may try Jeeperman or the Warn bumper that is prepped for the carrier.

Hanson Enterprises is another option.

Keep in mind, for a good quality rear bumper (and carrier), you may be looking at quite a bit more than 250.00

-Paul
  • pbmaverick03pbmaverick03 Member Posts: 7
    i recently perchased a 2000 wrangler that someone bent the front bumper and i cant fix it. but while i was at a junk yard i found a 1989 with an after market bumper but i dont want to buy it if it wont fit does anyone konw if it will fit or will i have to make new mounting brackets.
    i can get this one for 50 bucks
    and im pretty good with a welder
    Why not try eBay? Pages of them there from $10 and up. Here's an OE Rubicon one currently at $10 with $15 shipping click me. Lots of aftermarket ones too.

To answer your question.................not without modification.
  • mowranglermowrangler Member Posts: 4
    Hello

I have not posted in a while but am reading the forum almost daily. Tom-so sorry to hear about your loss--have comfort that your separation is only temporary.

Well earlier this week I noticed a squeak emanating from my 2004 White Rubicon with 10,000 miles. It began around 20 mph and went up to highway speeds and beyond. It sounded a lot like crickets and it was driving me nuts.

I am lucky to have a two mile stretch of empty straight blacktop at work so I experimented a bit. Here is what I did:

Got up to 40 mph--shifted into N--turned the motor off and coasted--the squeak still there.

Braked, turned left and right, went off road in 4 hi--the squeak still there.

So I went to this forum (man I love this forum) and looked up the word 'squeak'. I found a post from a guy who had a similar problem in that the squeak appeared not to correlate with engine speed (as in rpm) but rather with drivetrain speed. The diagnosis for his jeep was a joint and seal on the drivetrain at the front of the transfer case that was dry. The solution was lubrication.

Well, I aparently have the same problem and a wonderful tech at the Jeep dealership informed me that the lubrication method was only a temp fix and that the problem would not go away. After the warranty expires, you are on your own and the driveshaft could be comprimised in the long haul.

Well, they are putting in a new driveshaft for me under warranty and I guess that is a good thing. But I have some questions for those of you who know much more:

1. Is there a different stock driveshaft on the Rubicon than on the other Wrangler models? The dealership told me all Wranglers have the same driveshaft.

2. Any concerns/discussion on gear ratios. I.e. is it tough for them to set it to the 4.11:1 it came with. How do I know they did it right? Thanks for any replies

Adam
    this is my first jeep and it is good to know that there are so many complete strangers out there who at the drop of a hat will still help someone . Also its good to know that it wont fit ill have to see what i can find. The story behind the inital bend is that it was my girl friends and she hit a tree trail riding ( I know what a women) but since my bronco died she said here while im at college so now its mine plus i just asked her to marry me and she said yes so it will be mine anyway. but i will have to get one of myown soon anyway,
    I won't swear to it, but from memory the Rubicon has the same front propeller shaft as the other Wranglers, it's the rear that's different. The squeak is not uncommon and it comes from a lack of lubrication in the double cardan joint. The fix is to strip and lubricate or replace.

The propshaft has to be replaced in the same alignment as it was removed, but it doesn't have to be set differently with different axle ratios (if I understand your question correctly).
  • lockworkslockworks Member Posts: 1
    You are missing a grommet...! I know it sounds crazy but I had the same noise (or at least the Rubicon did) and the mechanic said it (I) was normal but the lack of GROMMET lets the sound in. I thought BS and let them Grommet my Rubi. Long story short, if you can't hear it it's no longer a problem(FIXED!) . I have the paperwork PM if you need the code. Jeff
    Congratulations! When are the wedding bells gonna ring?

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • pcolpcol Member Posts: 3
    Guys, I have a new Wrangler 05 with 600 miles now. I've noticed a leak on the garage floor and when I looked seems like it is coming from an area behind the oil pan and on what appears to be the transmission. There is an area that looks like the bottom end of a circle (a seal maybe) where the fluid is coming from. Anybody seen this before? Has not been off the highway yet - 6 speed manual. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • mowranglermowrangler Member Posts: 4
    Those crazy grommets--not just for shower curtains anymore. If this elaborate changing of the driveshaft does not do it-I will definetly bring up the grommet. Thanks
    Rear main seal perhaps? Whatever, it's not your problem, it's a warranty issue.
  • pcolpcol Member Posts: 3
    Yep, that's for sure. I just wanted to know if anybody else had see this on a new model.
    It happens, but it's not a common problem. Probably a damaged or poorly installed seal.
  • jeeprokeejeeprokee Member Posts: 2
    DOES ANYONE KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET BURNED WHILE YOU'RE SITTING IN THE RIGHT FRONT SEAT OF A JEEP WRANGLER? IF A JEEP LIKE THIS WORKS TOO MUCH (GOING UP AND DOWN VERY STEEP MOUNTAINS) CAN GET REALLY HOT SOME PLACE IN THE FRONT SEAT? WHAT IS EXACTLY LOCATED ON THE RIGHT FRONT SEAT? THE EXAHOUST PIPE, TRANSMISSION? AND WHAT CAN GET SO HOT TO BURN SOMEONE'S FOOT? CAN ANYBODY HELP ME PLEASE?