Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Jeeprokee:

Welcome to Edmunds Jeep Wrangler.

Please, do us a favor and post in lower case letters. You are considered to be shouting when you post in all caps.

Jeeps have very little in the way of insulation, so road noise and heat can easily enter the cabin. I would have to go look to be sure, but I believe the catalytic converter is located below the passenger seat, and that is probably the source of the heat.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    The catalytic is under the passenger seat, as is most of the exhaust. if you have no insulated carpet, you WILL feel the heat. If you have lined the inside of your Jeep with LineX or something similar, the heat will really transmit. It is also possible that the heat shield above the catalytic may have been removed (if you bought it used). It looks like a sheet of metal and not very strong, but it does help.

-Paul
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    Drewmeister,

You should also consider the weight of the new trailer (loaded, of course) and any other load you may tow. I opted for a hitch with a 3,500# tow rating (I have an Unlimited as well) because all of the bumpers with integrated receiver state "not designed for towing" or something to that effect. Some are likely as strong or stronger than my hitch, but it is impossible to tell w/o at least inspecting them first hand. A bumper manufacturer may be willing to give you an estimated tow capacity over the phone, but I think it is unlikely that they would tell you in writing due to liability. My hitch does theoretically affect departure angle, but its tough and I'm not in rocky terrain, so I'll just bang away. Just my $.02. Good luck!

Mark
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Seriously, it's like watching my worst nightmares come true. People trying to evacuate in Texas, only to sit in dead stop traffic for hours and run out of gas. This is why I was exploring storing extra gas cans and affixing them to the Wrangler. And we discussed always filling up at half a tank, which I now do. But I'm not sure there is an answer. The extra 5 gallons you take with you might not make any difference. And I go thru my Wrangler tank of gas pretty quick. I would anticipate the freeways in SoCal would be an even worse disaster making it darn near impossible to vacate the area. People I talk to shrug it off; "It'll never happen." Yeah, except we've seen it happen in two cities in two weeks. If you've never seen L.A. when it rains, even a drizzle shuts this city down. A real natural disaster would be catastrophic.

I gotta tell you, in the event of an emergency, I might swap out the Wrangler for my parents' Accord because of fuel economy.

Just thinking out loud.

-Mike
    but the Accord won't take you places or get you around obstacles like a Wrangler could.

Why they haven't opened up both directions on the highway to one way (north) is beyond me. Alabama did it for Katrina on I-65.

-Paul
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Yeah, I figured up to 250 now for the bumper, carrier later. However, the Warn isn't rated to tow at all. Since I'm not fully comfortable there, I checked out the Jeeperman. It's mighty impressive for $249. Plus, I could probably sell my factory rear towhook and maybe even the factory bumper for a little bit and get the shipping covered.
    I like the Hanson too, just not sure if the budget goes that high. The good point is the Hanson can be prepped for a carrier later, without having to buy a new bumper. That's a plus.
    but that doesn't mean it can't be used. It is just removing them from liability.

-Paul
  • rebeccadrebeccad Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone!
    I just purchased my very first Wrangler I am pumped to say the least. Anyway I hoped someone here could give me some advice. What product should I use to clean up the bumpers and fenders? Originally they were all black but have faded to a grey color. This area is plastic and just needs some type of topical black stuff.
    Any ideas? Also what product do you use to clean the soft top windows?
    Thanks and Happy Jeepin'!
    Rebecca :)
  • utahjeeputahjeep Member Posts: 24
    I do a lot of work in the Emergency Preparedness field. I'm glad someone here mentioned this. There are a LOT of lessons to be learned from Katrina and Rita on multiple levels.

A Honda Accord will just have to sit in the traffic and wait it out. A Wrangler can go off-pavement and get you the heck out of dodge. Did you see the folks going off-road around the bus that caught fire?

If you are stuck on the freeway in such a situation and need to get away, a Wrangler gives you a ton of options. An Accord will give you fewer. You can always strap on some extra 5-gallon fuel containers. There are several makes of j-can holders for the Jeep. I am trying to see if I can round up a couple to do a how-to article like those for the Tuffy products we did.

Where I live we have a lake that could flood, a depot with tons of really nasty chemical weapons that could have a problem, and lots of train tracks with trains carrying hazmat. We also have a high-order earthquake possibility. Flooding would give people plenty of time to evac, the other problems might not.

With my Wrangler, I can go WAY off road to get away if necessary. We do it for fun all the time. In a stuff-hits-the-fan situation, we know our limitations.

Always keep a good distance between you and the vehicle in front of you - especially when stopped. You want to be able to turn to go around them if necessary.

Never park where a building, trees, etc can fall on and destroy your vehicle in an earthquake. Easier said than done in some areas.

Keep a good kit in your vehicle with 4 cans of fix-a-flat, water, food, clothing appropriate to the climate, a Hi-Lift jack, etc. Your off-road supplies may come in really handy.

Here is a link to info on my Jeep. It's setup for SAR and emergency communications (VHF/UHF, and HF). There is also some emergency prep info on the site.

http://www.commtechreview.net/jeep
    First of all. WELCOME and congrats on the Jeep.

We'll be glad to help, but you need to tell us more about the specifics of your jeep. Pics of it always help too! :)

As for the faded flares, some have used Forever Black, but I hated it. Probably the BEST solution besides replacing them would be to get some Krylon Fusion Black paint for PLASTICS and repaint them. You can take the flares off or just mask around em. The KF paint does a good job of flexing when the flares get hit. I've used it on my license plate frame and other parts with great success. (I replaced my flares as they were pretty messed up).

-Paul
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I used Penetrol (a wood stain) last year and it really helped but now they are faded again so I better hit them again.

Clean soft top windows with the softest wet cotton rag you can find. Air dry only. That's it.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I just let the black fade - makes it look well used. My '98 Sport Wrangler is black and it sort of has a two tone look to it now. I haven't decided what I'll do about the Unlimited yet - I'll think about it when they start fading.

One thing on the soft top windows - do NOT use glass cleaner on them. I've been using mild soap and water (actually Maguiar's car wash stuff - hope that's not bad, but it doesn't seem to have caused any problems). Also, don't roll up the windows if they are dirty or sandy.

Emergency preparedness is important. As far as LA getting hit with a hurricane, it did happen once (long ago - I vaguely remember reading an article that mentioned that it happened some time in past history), just like it snowed here once (I think that was in the '30s - I've seen photos of UCLA with a dusting of snow).

For anyone with an electric garage door opener - I was reading an article in our local paper about someone who fell off a ladder during a power outage (caused by a brush fire over Labor Day weekend) while trying to get their garage door rigged so it would open manually. That's one of those little things that could cause serious problems in an emergency.
  • rebeccadrebeccad Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I have a lot to learn it seems. It is a 2002 4.0 - 6 black with black top. Nothing too extreme. I love it. My dad drove quite a few CJ-5's and 7's but would never let his daughters have one. His only mistake was teaching me how to drive a 5-speed. Ha! Well I am glad to have found this site. I would attaach pics but I am not exactly where that is done.
    So I can pick up these products at the local automotive shop?
    Thanks again!
    Hey does anyone know where to ride off road in the DFW metroplex?
    Rebecca
  • mowranglermowrangler Member Posts: 4
    Mothers Back to Black--wonderful stuff
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No one is going to suggest creamy peanut butter for those flares?

Steve, Host
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Yup, use smooth (as you said), not crunchy. It's the oil that does it. You can also use a heat gun or propane torch, but you have to be both quick and careful! ;)
    Really? Peanut butter works? That sounds so easy that I might actually try it on my Noble Black Steed (most of my car care efforts go into GiGi).

I wish I could remember what the person from Jeep said last year at Camp Jeep - I asked someone and they had recommended a Mopar product and a chamois cloth. I don't remember what the Mopar product was now, but IIRC it wasn't something that had a dye in it.

Another thing that I keep saying I'm going to order is 303 - a UV protectant that is good for soft tops.
    I've heard about using creamy peanut butter for years around here, and it still cracks me up.

No one has complained about a black bear gnawing their flares or cladding off, but I wouldn't be too surprised.

I like 303 and Vinylex myself. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    I expect those peanut butter flavored flares may attract a lot of squirrels too. :)
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    303 will also keep your flares from fading. It is really a sunblock. They advertise it as SPF 40 for your stuff.

Terry
  • krazyjeepfankrazyjeepfan Member Posts: 1
    is there a way to do away with the airbag steering wheel in a 98 Wrangler?
  • jeeprokeejeeprokee Member Posts: 2
    First of all sorry about the capital letters, i didn't know that but i apologize and secondly thank you for your answers. :)
    Could someone tell me where can i download a map, plan (i don't know how it's called) where i can see how a jeep is built, I need to find out exactly what got so hot to burn someone like that. I have to take my jeep again to a hard trip and i am afraid someone could get burned again and i want to have it fixed. And if it is possible to find any paper (offical paper) where explains the jeep wrangler can get hot inside.
    I would appreciate your answer very much.
    Thanks again
    The easiest and cheapest thing to get hold of would be an aftermarket workshop manual, which will have diagrams and pictures of how the exhaust is routed. The hottest part is the catalytic converter and if its heat shield is missing, or if the passenger side carpet has been removed, then the floor will get very hot indeed.

As far as I know, there's no documentation available from DC regarding this matter.
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    Good Day, All....

Yesterday, I pulled along side a Wrangler, and said "hey" to the driver. Then, I noticed what appeared to be, at first glance, a tailpipe protruding from the driver's front fender, extending approximately one foot above the top.

Puzzled, I said very cool-like, "what in heck (I used the other variation!) is that?". I must have had that deer in the headlight look because he chuckled and said, "It's a snorkle".

Well, right away I knew what he meant by that (amazing for me). I was dying to ask him some other questions, but the light turned, and off we went. The snorkle exited approximately where the newer Jeep's "4X4 Trail Rated" badges are, right in front of, and above, the drivers' side top door hinge.

Was wondering if anyone else has one? I certainly don't ever (EVER!) plan on dirtying eXcalibur up enought to ever go submerged (bearing in mind what Tom always said about what mud and water can do to parts I don't even know the names of).

Just thought I'd pass that on. Hope anyone/everybody here on or around the Gulf coast is safe.....Tom, still thinking of you during your time of grief.....

Randy
    just like it snowed here once (I think that was in the '30s - I've seen photos of UCLA with a dusting of snow).

It snowed in the San Fernando Valley in 1989. Our very first -- and only -- snow day off of high school!!

-Mike
    Did you see the folks going off-road around the bus that caught fire? If you are stuck on the freeway in such a situation and need to get away, a Wrangler gives you a ton of options. An Accord will give you fewer.

All true, but in L.A. there are, by & large, no off-road scenarios I can think of. I'd rather have the mileage. Plusses & minusses both ways. Also, wondering how cool the police, sheriffs, national guard will be with fleets of 4X4s using "alternate" roads (will they really let me drive on the beaches instead of Pacific Coast Highway???) And even as I'm writing that, I'm realizing that in L.A. the likely scenario is a devastating earthquake; there may not even be standing freeways to speak of. Then the Wrangler becomes an advantage.

Good that we're all thinking this stuff thru ahead of time.

Thanks,
    Mike
    You mean an ARB snorkel like this?

Much more useful for letting the engine breathe clean air on a dusty trail than for running underwater. ;)
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    Cheaper than Mac's suggestion to buy a manual ( although I think everyone should have one) is to crawl under your Jeep and see what is directly below where your passenger says its getting hot.

Jeff
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    Yep...that's it. Shoot....."snorkel" to me means breathing underwater. Shows what I know! :confuse:
    I always wondered what exactly the snorkels would be good for - I thought that by the time the water got up to the air intake, there would be too many other things that would affected. Trying to breathe over the dust makes lots of sense - so this really is something practical. Thanks for the info, mac.
  • pbmaverick03pbmaverick03 Member Posts: 7
    unfortinatly not till she graduates from college but it pisses us both off the her dad wont let us till she s done but its not like he hates me the guy calls me all the time just to c whats up. and it was his idea to give me the jeep
  • gdh3gdh3 Member Posts: 28
    I have finally figured out how to improve the look of those annoying bumperettes. It is an inexpensive and simple modification. :)
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a156/gdh03/IMG_0548.jpg
    Check it out and tell me how you like it via email.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay53/

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Awesome Tom. Keep it up!
    Did we park a little too close to a horse's posterior?
    Also, on the YJ's, snorkels would be installed on the driver side, not the passenger side like on TJ's.

Not sure about CJ's.

mtngal, just go to the RV shop in Santa Clarita for some 303. It is pretty common at places like that. I got mine at the RV shop in Lancaster before I moved out here.

-Paul
    I see 303 at the hot tub place (for the vinyl covers) and the kayaking stores (for drysuit gaskets). I've yet to see it at an autoparts store, but I found my Vinylex at a parts store.

It usually costs a buck an ounce around here and a bit less for the Lexol flavor.

Steve, Host
  • I like it!! Funny, you didn't give us the exact steps to make that modification but for some reason it seems to be rather intuitive just showing us the finished modification! If you don't mind, I may try to make a slight variation with less dried-grass/straw and more pebbles/rocks but I'll be sure to honor your overall idea by applying plenty of mud and dirt. Thanks for the tip! :D
    Paul - I never thought of the RV place - it's right next to Wal-Mart, and I need to stop there this week for some things. I have no idea where a kayaking store would be, though I'm sure there are hot tub places somewhere around. It's been one of those things I keep saying I'm going to order, but just never quite get around to.
  • pbmaverick03pbmaverick03 Member Posts: 7
    i have a questions that you guys can help me with do i buy bogger LTBs on rockcrawler II wheels or do i buy by girlfriend a 1/2 cart diamond ring and make everything official. i dont know what to do. :cry:
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I buy 303 from boating supply places, boat sales stores and marinas.

Terry
    If your girl is a Jeeper, she'd understand if you get mods for the Jeep and a pull-top ring to make it official. If not, then do you really want to marry her? LOL - well, it made sense to me now that it's so many minutes after my bedtime...
  • moharamohara Member Posts: 16
    OK, preface this by saying i know little about engine mechanics, but i am slowly trying to learn. today i came out to my jeep to find a hose hanging down from the front of the engine. looks like it runs off the front differential, so i assume it is a venting hose? where is it supposed to go, and what effect will it have when not hooked up? the vehicle doesnt seem to run differently, but the check engine light is on since it happened. thanks for any help.

michael
    If it's the axle vent hose, the end should be secured up by the right side top of the radiator when viewed from the front. The hose is attached so that the axle won't be contaminated by water when fording.

There's no link between your 'check engine' light and the vent hose. Go to Autozone or similar to have the codes read to see why it's come on.
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    I'm going to assume you already decided she's the one. Since that decision is over with, buy the ring.

Here's my logic: The tires will wear out. The ring never will, so you'll only buy one. (That's assuming the answer is and remains yes to the question above, which we are certainly not qualified to help with on this board ;) )

One ring now may get you enough good will to buy lots of stuff later...

Personally I've owned three Jeeps now, and each time I sell it for a more practical car/truck, and then go buy another one later. My very patient wife has allowed me to do this three times and still has the ring I bought back when I was working for $6 an hour, because it isn't the cost that's important. If I ever can afford it, I'll upgrade that ring all she wants!
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    Well,,

I don't have a wife or girlfriend, but I do have an engagement ring, a jeep and a set of swampers.

I can honestly say that I'm happier with my Jeep than I was with the one who was wearing my engagement ring.

I know I'd be much happier with a wife that could appreciate ( or at least tolerate ) me having a jeep.

BUY the ring, your girlfriend may get tired of waiting for a "modification to her left ring finger", then neither of you will be happy . The jeep will sit and wait patiently for her modifications.

jeff
    I'm getting around to narrowing down which Bilstein shock I need for my stock '04 Sport.

A sidebar link on the Bilstein site breaks down shocks by general category (comfort, heavy duty, etc). The heavy duty description fits me best. Road driving, with occasional hauling / off road. (And to be honest, many of L.A.'s "paved" roads might as well be off-road).

When I enter in my make/model, a list of several shocks comes up that I'm having trouble deciphering; which shocks for what, etc. Basically breaks down as the silver shocks and the yellow/blue shocks, front and rear, with different sizes. The product descriptions shed little light.

Also, the steep price of the shocks on the site...I'm guessing that's list price and that they can be had for cheaper out in the retail world.

This is the page link for the shocks in question:

http://www.bilstein.com/mistore/ymm_productf.php?company_id=100484&year=2004&makes=JEEP&mo- del_id2=1614&model_id=&brand_id=&profile_id=&storeYMM=storeYMM&storedimg.x=44&storedimg.y=- 12&storedimg=1

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike
    There are only two shocks listed on that page for your stock '04:

Front and Rear

The rest are all for lifted suspensions. If you do a little searching you'll see them available for about $65 each.
  • clay1clay1 Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,

I just got back from Iraq and I've bought the new 2005 Bright Silver soft top Unlimited I've been dreaming about while I was gone. I can't tell you how much fun I've had driving it. Everything y'all have been saying about wranglers is true. As a bonus for me, having been driving a Miata for 5 years, the ride in the Wrangler is plush by comparison. Now all I need are a few accessories I've been looking at and a trail to try (something easy for my first shot at wheeling in the Wrangler) and I'll be all be set.
    By the way, this is a great forum and it really helped reading all your post while I was gone. It reminded me of home and why we were there in the first place so keep it up.

Semper Fi,
    Clay
    Welcome back, Clay! Glad things worked out with the Unlimited - and where are you now? Wherever it is, there should be a nice forest service road or other dirt road to try.

You do have to admit that the Miata's top is easier to put up and down. My other half, who only half gets the Jeep thing, says that he would prefer to have a top that goes up and down with a button. But that's not very rewarding, is it?

Yesterday I got to drive through a surprise hail storm, luckily pretty brief. The soft top was a whole lot noisier than the hard top is. It also got me wondering just how much the factory soft top can take of such things. It came through the pea sized hail without any problems, but I wonder if anyone has had their soft tops damaged by hail, and what size (if any) would cause it to tear.