Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Problems

Comments

• cub4cub4 Member Posts: 11
    Learned the hard way that Tundras use 6.4 L of oil instead of the normal 5L. I should've read the manual but who reads the instructions anyway? Spilled oil all over the place. Still cheaper than paying $30 to jiffy lube.
    Changing the filter is also a major hassle. Has anybody tried relocating the oil filter with one of those relocation kits? Where did you put it? Any risks to using one of those?
  • bugsplatbugsplat Member Posts: 30
    Just happened to be cruising the site for some info to help a friend out and saw the discussion on the gas. Not an expert, but having dealt some with fuel suppliers from a tax perspective it is my understanding that all of the gas in an area will basically come from the same source. However, most of the terminals where the tankers fuel up have additives that they will add to the fuel when pumped into the tanker, not at the retail station, such as the "Techron" additive for Chevron, etc. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it is not very likely that a tanker which stops at a chevron, shell, or other major brand advertising a special "additive" would stop at an independent station unjless that station sells gas under that name brand. Once you get away from the major brands that have their own special "additives", yes, the tanker may fuel up several stations under varying names. Also, it's my opinion that there is really no such thing as "cheap gas" as it call comes form virtually the same source. However, fuel can become contaminated even after it reaches the stations. All those in ground fuel tanks that stations get into trouble for leaking fuel out also have the potential for stuff such as water leaking into the tanks. Excellent point on fueling up while the tanker is there. Don't do it.

Now as to why I was cruising the site to begin with. Friend has the Tundra Xcab 4wd V-8. On a few occasions after disengaging the 4wd, the 4wd dash light will begin flashing. He's tried engaging, disengaging, etc. to get the light to stay on or off, but to no avail. Usually, after the truck has been turned off and set for a while, the light re-sets. Toyota has already replaced the "actuator switch" but this hasn't cured the the problem. Anyone else experience this?
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Is your friend engaging 4HI or 4LO? Getting in and out of 4 hi is pretty easy. Just put it in 4HI when going <60mph and take it out when stationary.

Getting in and out of 4LO is not quite as easy. There is a sequence you have to follow which is contained in the owner's manual and is also printed on the driver's visor. If you follow these instructions it works every time (at least it has for me).
  • bugsplatbugsplat Member Posts: 30
    Has happened in both. Followed the sequence in the manual to a "t". It seems as if the 4wd is disenaging, but something is still amiss as the light just keeps flashing, and then you can't get it back into 4wd. It is an intermittent problem, but he was able to re-create it for the dealership, and that's when they replaced the "actuator". Doesn't seem to have solved the problem though.
  • duckcallerduckcaller Member Posts: 107
    I have no problems like yours. When I got my Tundra a year ago I immediately played with the 4WD button and had to read the visor instructions regarding getting it in and out of 4 LO. 4 HI wasn't any trouble, but LO required a complete stop and a shift to neutral to go in or out.

I believe Toyota's 4WD sensor (that would make the indicator light turn on solid or blink) is located at the hub - not the actuator. Could be that your friends Tundra has a bad sensor at one or both of the hubs or that either of the hubs is not engaging or disengaging properly.
  • reddogreddog Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know what the tire size limit on the Tunrda V8 4x4? Will this affect the MPG if I install tall wheels and tires? (+) or (-)MPGnumbres?Will taller wheels and tires restrict the turning radius? I would like to install 17 or 18 inch wheels.
  • dano44dano44 Member Posts: 1
    My buddy and I both have new 2001 Tundras (stop me now from waxing lyrical.......), but we've got a question for you experts. He's got 6000 miles on his (I just got mine and only have 400 miles) and decided to change the transmission fluid. He drained it and got a tad more than 4 quarts out. He checked the book and it says it takes 2.1 quarts to fill! He called 6 different dealerships and, you guessed it, got 5 different answers - the two who agreed suggested to go by the dipstick. When he did that - he was able to put in a bit over 3 1/4 quarts which got it to the top "cool" mark (obviously checking the level when it was cool). He asked me to check my level since my Tundra is only a week old. My factory level was about 1 1/4 inch ABOVE the cool mark (yes, the engine was definitely cold).

So, what gives? 2.1 quarts, 3.3 quarts or 4+ quarts? And, wonder why the dealer service guys didn't give the same advice? Oh, when he called Toyota - they said he needed to call one of their authorized dealers who would give him the right answer!

Thanks.
  • chirravuchirravu Member Posts: 106
    Folks:

The only problem with my Tundra is - it never gave me a problem though it ran 40K mostly hauling miles. No wonder its the best Full size pickup

http://www.jdpa.com/studies_jdpower/pressrelease.asp?StudyID=517&CatID=1

--

• jwhaelen1jwhaelen1 Member Posts: 27
    My tundra can't tow squat. Final answer.
  • suncarriesuncarrie Member Posts: 8
    I am thinking of buying the limited 4X4 Tundra. I know that Toyota is know for its reliable trucks but I was wondering what the case is on these trucks (since they haven't been out too long). I love the look and I liked the way it drove. I would like to hear what anyone else has to say about them (espeically if you own one). It will be used to drive around town, tow (two large jetskis) and I will drive it skiing. Also, I would like to hear what people get for gas mileage. My other option was a Dodge Ram 25000 Diesel 4X4 mainly for the gas mileage (I like the look too). Any information anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    The Tundra will certainly haul your jetskis with no problem. I have a 2000 SR5 and I have 19,000 miles on it. It is very smooth, has excellent brakes (best I've ever felt on a truck) and a gem of an engine. I know some people have complained of vibration problems and a thunking problem. I haven't experienced any of these though. One thing though, the dealer recommends you rotate the tires with each oil change (every 5,000 miles) which I have adhered to.

I did take my truck in for the brake vibration TSB at around 8k miles. They replaced pads, turned rotors and replaced the star adjusters (I think) in the rear brakes. I haven't had any other problems with the truck.
  • suncarriesuncarrie Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the input. What kind of gas mileage do you get both around town and highway? Also towing if you ahppen to do it.
  • johnmeijohnmei Member Posts: 44
    Folks- I need some honest advice. I am sold on Toyota quality, reliability, OK. Currently own an Avalon. My wife and I are retired and live in Maine. We need to know how good the Tundra 4 x 4, V8, automatic is in snow/icey conditions. I noticed at a dealer that the off road package has different tires with more aggressive threads. Better in snow? We live where we must go up and down a fairly steep hill with one switchback and a 90 degree turn. We are considering a Tundra vs a Subaru Outback with snow as the ONLY consideration. Would also like to know the Tundra's true gas mileage experience, highway as well as around town.

In advance, I thank you for your time and responses.
    John (jmeisten2u@clinic.net)
  • tk314tk314 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone else had a problem with the headlights being stuck on? Even with the headlights and iginition switches both off, the headlights on my 2000 Tundra remain on. Had to pull the fuses to save my battery. The dealer is looking at it and says that it doesn't appear to be an easy-to-find problem.
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Did they disconnect headlight switch? If not try it yourself. If the headlights go off, problem in switch, if they remain on, sorry, have to get further into it (try the headlight relays then?). Hope this helps.
    -Eric
  • kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    Even though it is smaller, it has the same ground clearance. Don't really know, but from what I've heard, it is almost impossible to get a Tundra with limited slip rear. I drive and have driven 4X4 Ford trucks in the mountains of NM for over 20 years. In ice and snow - with some weight in back - they are great, assuming they have the rear limited-slip and good traction tires. Without a rear limited-slip, would opt for the electronically sensing Subaru. They are fuel-efficient and work well in snow/ice unless you get into so much snow that you need some real power and then you probably needed chains anyway.
  • notthemamanotthemama Member Posts: 11
    Had my Tundra LTD 4X4 for about 6 months now with a few minor complaints, and wondering if anyone else out there has seen the same things:

1. The driver's side seatbelt assy. makes a "creaking" or "clicking" noise at my left ear during driving, but I can't duplicate the sound when I pull on the belt by hand. Guess I'll have to have the thing replaced?

2. Almost anything placed in the top center console section rattles. Seems like Toyota would have made this area a bit more noise-proof.

3. Seen similar postings, but VERY disappointed in Toyota making ABS so scarcely available on the Tundra. This is standard equip. by almost every other truck manufacturer.

4. The ledge along the driver's window isn't wide enough for me to comfortably rest my lazy arm/elbow when I'm driving with my left hand......and eating with my right.

5. The height of the center console could have been raised (like in the LC) to a height where you could rest your right arm.......heck, how does Toyota expect anyone to sleep while driving this thing!

Don't get me wrong, just little fish here. I've owned numerous Toyotas over the years and over-all, couldn't be happier with the Tundra.....even about to go into 10 years debt on a new Sequoia this week. If someone can't float me a loan, then I'll have to sell-off my first born.
  • gr8ful40gr8ful40 Member Posts: 1
    I have just bought a 2001 SR5 4WD Access cab with TRD. I have noticed that the truck seemingly jerks when revving between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM in each gear. It is like a vacuum secondary on a 4 barrel opening and closing a few times in this range. Before and after this RPM range, it runs very well. If you feather the pedal, it will accelerate fine, but near the floor it jerks. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Also, the truck is not a streamer off of the line at all. I cannot get it to break traction at all from a dead stop (like in the commercial :p ). Does anyone else have this same problem as well? Other than that, the truck is great and I get 15 MPG thus far.
    The problems you have with acceleration between 2000 and 3000 rpm are definitely not normal. My Tuenra V8 accelerates like a bat out of He** in that rpm range. No problems.

I suggest you see your service advisor ASAP
  • notthemamanotthemama Member Posts: 11
    I can't say I have a jerking problem in the 2,000 - 3,000 RPM range you described, but my Tundra LTD 4x4 is "weak" if not hesitant from a dead stop and I don't break traction either unless I'm turning a corner or its wet! It doesn't exactly throw your head back. However, after the initial weak start, it accelerates adequately and smoothly through the RPM range.

I've seen other postings at tundrasolutions.com about lack of low end torque so you may want to check there. Hopefully, Toyota is reading this stuff and will offer some solutions going forward if not modifications to exisiting vehicles. I know a superchager for the tundra is in the works, but I don't know how much this is going to improve the first split second of a full throttle start - maybe that's the fix? FYI, I have 15,000 miles and avg. 16.5 MPG overall.
  • nachnach Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone buy the V-6 Tundra 4x4?? I'm in the market for a new truck. Drive a F-150 now with a V-6 with no problems. Why do I need a V-8. F-150 is heavier than a Tundra. Any advice??
  • frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    unless you have a VERY heavy foot, you will be MUCH happier with the V8. the V6 when pushed hard will get the same mileage as the V8. you need the larger motor with this 4000 pound truck. buy a V8 with the 4 speed auto: the best combination in light trucks.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    There is nothing wrong with the V6. It makes the truck cheaper (in price).

My V6 gets along find and my gas mileage is 17 - 20.
  • nugget55nugget55 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a Tundra v.8 4X4 to tow a 2-horse trailer. That would be about 6,000 lbs. Anyone have any experience hauling horses with a Tundra. Can you accelerate on the highway OK, can you use the AC while towing?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    "Fully loaded to its gvwr, the Tahoe would be way too heavy for the Tundra and we'd need a much higher-rated tow vehicle to safely manage it."

This can't be true can it? Hot diggity dang!!
    You can read!

The Tundra was towing 6500lb during the test - which it did very capably. And no - the Tahoe was not loaded to its max GVR.

Nugget was asking if he could tow 6000 lb. According to this article, it does it very capably and:

"That said, the Toyota pulled as well as any of its Big Three counterparts"
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 01E041000

Component: EQUIPMENT:OTHER PIECES:TRAILER HITCHES AND ATTACHMENTS
    Manufacturer: TOYOTA MOTOR CO., LTD.
    Mfg. Campaign #: 01E041000
    Year: 2000
    Make: TOYOTA TRUCK
    Model: TUNDRA
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 70717
    Manufactured From: To:
    Year of Recall: '01
    Type of Report: Equipment
    Summary:

Equipment Description: Trailer towing wire harness converters which integrates the vehicle's tail lights, brake lights, and turn signal lights with those equipped on the trailer. Manufactured between May 1, 1999, and August 31, 2000, these converters were sold for installation on 1999-2000 Toyota Tundra and Tacoma vehicles. Affected part numbers are: PT207-34000, PT207-34002, PT207-04981, and PT214-04985. In the Tundra vehicles, the circuitry utilized in the converter was inadequate to properly manage vehicle and/or trailer-side voltage spikes. If the converter is exposed to a voltage spike, it may cause an electrical short or open circuit within the converter.

Tacoma vehicles, due to deficient waterproofing and improper installation location of the converter, which is mounted in the lower portion of the tailgate cavity of the vehicle, an electrical short circuit will occur if water enters the converter housing.

An electrical short or open circuit can cause a fault in the converter and a non-operational condition of the trailer lights. A vehicle crash can occur, possibly resulting in personal injury or death, if the vehicle is driven without operational trailer lights.

Dealers will notify the customers and install a redesigned trailer towing wire harness converter free of charge. Owner notification is expect to begin August 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Good luck on this one now!!
  • tundownertundowner Member Posts: 12
    I noticed in your July 5th posting that you are having problems with your left seat belt making noise while driving. My '02 does the same thing. What did you do to stop it?
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    Lots, if not most, of trucks that plow snow also spread salt.....Think this might give them a little more exposure to salt than your average vehicle?????
    Good luck on this one, now.
    Tom
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    Until you post something to the effect of "The Tundra was rated below the industry average for..." your points will be considered null and void.

The fact is the Toyota clearly exceeds the industry average for build quality and reliability, despite the spam you may post.

Good luck on this one now!!
    My last post consisted of a recall on the Tundra. I posted it under the Tundra problems topic. So please tell me, what is the problem with that? I didn't mention not once about the one star side impact rating of the Tacoma. Figured the owners of those years already either had it fixed or sold it.

It's a good thing that the Tundra owners will read the recall as to not implement the fix may cause serious injury...similar to your Tacoma.
  • jhm4111jhm4111 Member Posts: 3
    Have experienced persistent rattles in the dash and right rear door of my 2000 SR5 2WD. Worst one seems to come from the area of the passenger side airbag. Truck is never driven off-highway or subject to any hard use. This is unlike any of the 4 previous Toyotas I have owned. Avoiding this kind of problem is the very reason I have stayed away from domestics for the last 25 years.

Anyone have similar problems and maybe a solution?
    I would check for loose items. Sometimes I have had small items fall into the gap between the dash and the windshield. I would also check for loose items in the glove compartment. Lastly, I would check both the front and back storage bins on the doors for loose items. My daughters are always throwing things into the door pockets which I have to clean out.

If these don't fix your rattle, definitely take it to the dealer for warranty repair. This is an unusual problem with a Tundra.
  • jbraconnierjbraconnier Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone out there help me? I am buying a new p/u within the next 3 weeks. First purchase of anything new,and have decided that I need/want a p/u over a car. But....I cannot decide between a Tundra with a v6 or a tacoma double cab with a v6. It may help me to know whether or not the v6 is enough to drive the larger tundra body (gas mieleage as well is a factor) I do not expect to be hauling anything larger than a U=Haul trailer this Spring, and in the future a mid size holiday trailer. I am leaning toward the larger tundra configuration because of the extra incab space. I need to lhave space in back for two small grandchildren and their carseats:) I am female and feel very vulnerable to predacious salespersons, so I am turning to Tundra/Tacoma owners for help. Thanx!!! PS/"Town HAll is a great service to potential p/u customers, thanx to all who contribute.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    I would test the car seats in the Tundra first some car seats are a tight fit back there. Last year I was in the truck buying mood and one of my requirements was the ability to place a car seat in the back seat, for the car seat I have the Tundra wouldnt work. You may be better off with the double cab tacoma but then you are limited to 5000# towing which may rule out towing the trailer.
  • jhm4111jhm4111 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Quadruner 500. Thanks for the advise on my rattles and the links to TundraSolutions. I have a rattle free Tundra for the first time in two years, all fixed under warranty.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    a war but have any of you heard a knock in the tundras v-6 engine?

I heard one this morning. Brand new tundra. It wasnt a cold start knock either the truck had been running.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I have never had a knock in my engine.
  • lman333lman333 Member Posts: 10
    Well, yet another piss poor design by Toyota. I have a 2001
    Tundra. I purchased a LeeR Camper Top. The problem is that when I travel off road, the sides of the tailgate have a
    heaping gap in it. This allows a tremendous amount of dust
    into the bed. Of course, it is within Toyota's spec and they have been ZERO help. After one trip on a dirt road, the bed was just covered with dust. Thank goodness there was nothing but the black rubber mat I bought from Toyota...which is now completely reddish brown.

I have talked to many people, and they all say, "well, there is
    an aftermarket product, but I don't know where to buy it".

I called Pep Boys, and they said just add the weather stripping like the stuff that is inside the cab doors. That should do it. Well, the question I have is two fold:

1. Is there really an aftermarket product that someone knows
    where I can purchase it?

2. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you
    resolve it?

Thanks in advance,
    brent
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    There is a product that I found for my friend who has a Tundra. He also has the "gap" problem. In the newest Cabelas catalog they have a tailgate seal I dont know how good it would work though it is only 3/16" thick and 1" wide. It costs $20 for a 10' length.
    Another solution that I know of is to use some preformed pipe insulation. If you cut it in half and glue it to the truck bed your tailgate will seal fairly good. I did this to my old 94 ranger, the one time I took my topper off I found out that the seal could hold about 2.5" of water.
    Anyway good luck with your truck and dont have to much fun in the dirt.
    Ed
  • junebugjunebug Member Posts: 8
    I have a question about altitude. I've decided to surprise my husband with a new Tundra -- he's wanted one for awhile, but can't bring himself to do a car payment again. We're moving from Maryland to Colorado in the next couple of weeks and I really don't like to see him drive his current vehicle (1983 Land Cruiser) that many miles. It's just not reliable anymore.

Anyway, I seem to remember something about mountains and engine power. Are the trucks they sell in Colorado different from those sold in Maryland? Is there a reason to wait until we get to Colorado to buy the vehicle?

If not, I'm going to call a buying service this afternoon and get the process going so I can hand him the keys by Friday.

Any advice?
    One suggestion make sure you get the color/options he would like.

Maybe he is different but me as like with many guys we would like to option out our truck and if you forget one small thing that could be a bad thing

On the altitude question the trucks will be the same whether its in colorado or maryland.

Good luck!!!

Ryan
  • junebugjunebug Member Posts: 8
    I'm the one who's picky about vehicles. He would be thrilled to have me do all the details and, if I'm satisfied, I'm confident he'll be happy. We've been married a LONG time and I pretty well know what he likes. And, we've been out test driving Tundras on a couple of occasions -- he can't wipe the smile off his face. I just really want to do this for him.
    Go out and buy one then. Sounds like its the right idea.

Maybe I am wierd but I wouldnt want anyone buying me a truck. I like planning it through and stuff i guess.

Ryan
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    Identical vehicles may have differences (oxymoron) regarding the location it was shipped by the manufacturer...

I think emissions control would be one of them. In AZ... dealers claim the batteries are different due to the high temps we get in the summer.

Gave my Tacoma to my brother in NJ and he was told by a 'body' guy that the under carriage protection would be toast through one winter time.

Things I was told and wasnt aware before.
  • coastaleddycoastaleddy Member Posts: 1
    I have a V6 engine with automatic trans. With only about 500 miles on it, it seems to me that it is a little too noisy. Has a roar going through the first couple of gears. Is this a typical "truck" roar, is it the V6, or just my imagination?
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    which engine are you picking for your husbands new truck?
    i know my wife would have a hard time with this, because depending on what the truck is being used for, the engine could make or break the usefulness of the truck. not to mention that rear end gear selection and tranny is also important.
This discussion has been closed.