Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Problems

Comments

• hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    I'm not sure what the dealership used to re-balance the tires. I'm taking it in next week to have a scratch removed that was put in the tailgate when they removed the dealer decal. I'll ask then. I have inflated my tires to 31F 30R maybe I'll up the front a couple of PSI. Thanks for the input. That "other" website ndahil2 mentioned is starting to charge a fee... so I'm not sure I'll be visiting there much anymore!
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    Tundra solutions is charging a VOLUNTARY fee. I am still a TS member but I did not pay the fee. I can still post anywhere on the site.
  • nukesnukes Member Posts: 8
    Just got a 2002 Tundra. Great truck. My only beef is that there is too much non-adjustable Lumbar Support. Did anyone else have this problem? Did your seat break in a bit?

Thanks,
    Mark
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    Heated mirrors, heated leather seats and a rear window defroster instead of that useless sliding rear window!
    I have Captian Chairs and I love the lumbar adjustment. I always have back pain from cars/trucks w/o such support. I only had my truck for 1200 smiles :-)
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    I have a 2000 Tundra I purchase new in 9/00. I took it in for a brake vibration at around 10k miles. I have almost 30k on it now and haven't had it in the shop since for anything other than oil changes-no more brake problems yet. Oil changes every 5k miles-the oil is still amber in color between changes at 5k.

V8, SR5, extended cab. It's as smooth, powerful and as comfortable as the day I bought it.
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    It's funny how people come to rely on ABS. I've owned and driven so many cars without ABS that when I finally got one with ABS I worried that I wouldn't react properly when driving it. Then when I bought my Tundra (non-ABS) I worried a bit about that. It's really not that big a deal. I've towed many times with trucks without ABS (towing in excess of 4000 lbs) and on occasion I've had to make panick stops with them. If your truck is set up properly and you don't do anything stupid you won't have a problem. If you get into a situation like black ice though, forgetaboutit, ABS won't do you any good anyway.
  • tundownertundowner Member Posts: 12
    I have had my Tundra for about 4 months now. It does not have ABS. (TRD Limited '02) I still hear the "Clunk". I have come to presume that this is normal. Everything else is great. I have seen several posts about this. Does anyone know for 100% sure what this is?
  • argabrightargabright Member Posts: 2
    I also have the clunk when you first start the engine and take off. It only happens one time per start. I was told it was the blend air door whatever that is. I believe it has sometning to do with the breaks.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Okay, I don't own a Tundra, but we do have a 1999 Avalon that does the same thing as most of you have described. It has become especially noticeable in warm weather when you have the windows down.

I am very, very sure that the sound is being caused by the rear brakes. It happens every time the vehicle is stopped, then moved in the opposite direction. If i just slightly apply the parking brake, it won't do it.

Since the Tundra has rear disc brakes (I think) and the design is similar, I thought maybe it might be worth mentioning.

My theory is that the pads are shifting inside the caliper or the caliper itself is pivoting slightly. When the brakes are applied in one direction to stop, then move the vehicle in the opposite direction, the pads or caliper shifts position causing this noise.

Good Luck.

Dusty

P.S. I'd never have another car with ABS brakes!
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    As stated in an earlier post, I believe it to be the ABS self test.

I've garnered this info from my Lexus dealership after complaining about the noise on my '02 Lexus.

Dusty, unless toy changed the Tundra rears, they were drums in '01. According to some toy owners drum brakes are better than discs!!!

Since the oby/pluto show keeps going around in circles, I'll start some new, worthwhile heated debate.

If Ford or GM had this ABS clunk, would it be accepted or would the toy boys have a field day with it???

P.S. I'm very annoyed at the noise in my car.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    What does it matter if GM/Ford has an ABS clunk? I have ABS on my Tundra and no clunk.

I don't remember anyone ever saying drums were better than disks. I have often said that Toyota has the most powerful brakes on ANY 1/2 ton pickup.

The bottom line is that the Tundra loaded with 1350lb outbroke an empty Silverado in the Jun '01 Truck Trend comparison test. Seems like some trucks can have 4 wheel disks and STILL have weak brakes.
    from a toy owner about a toy problem.

I'll never prove it, but it most certainly was you who stated drums were better. You said something about OTR trucks(big rigs) having rear drums. Quad will remember.

BTW, like knocking motors, I find this clunk unacceptable.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    SOME drums are better than SOME disk brakes. The bottom line is brakes are for stopping, and I fail to see the value in disk brakes if they can't stop you as fast as half disk/half drums, like the Tundra's.
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    I agree that drum brakes are more effective than disk. Drum shoes have more surface area than do disk pads, thus more stopping power. The advantage of disk brakes is that they are lighter and easier to maintain.
    "Predictable response from a toy owner about a toy problem. "

Still trolling? You need to get a life! LMAO!
    Please do not turn this thread into a war. Thanks
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    We KNOW what everyone's position is... let's not go through it all again!

Hey, it's Friday! Just a reminder that the Friday Freeway Chat & Trivia Game chat is on tonight (5-6pm Pacific/8-9 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/freewaychat.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    >>If Ford or GM had this ABS clunk, would it be accepted or would the toy boys have a field day with it???<<

Okay, here's one opinion. I think it would be more acceptable by Chevy owners, then somewhat less by Ford owners, then much, much less by Dodge owners, and even way less by everyone else.

There is a certain emotional attachment by some people to automobiles, a blind religious-like allegence to a corporate marque. Its referred to in sociology as "American tribalism." When emotionally attached to a name and not the reality of the product itself, hearing about and recounting negative examples of other car companies is a way of validating one's own intellectual superiority. After all, ego wouldn't let a person admit a mistake on a $30,000 purchse, would it? When a person is committed to always buy a particular brand, they must establish ways to constantly re-enforce the irrational believe that regardless of the problems with their car or truck, the other products must always be worse. This eventually leads to abject dishonesty about the real service that the product is really providing.

Dusty
    If we keep bickering, then the moderator will close this thread. Those who have a problem with their Tundras, please list it. Those who do not own a Tundra, please post consturctive comments ony. Let us not turn this thread into "mpg and ride thread." I know I have participated in that one and I am sorry I did.
  • argabrightargabright Member Posts: 2
    I Have a 2002 Tundra with about 4500 mi. My oil gage reads between the 1/2 and 3/4 mark when on the highway after its warm and idleing it drop clear down to the first line and sometimes below is this normal I've never had this kind of flucuation in any other vehicle. I also believe the knock at start is unaceptable.
    Happy hollidays
    Others have experienced the same oil pressure guage fluctuation. As I understand, it is a quirk among toyota trucks.

The start up clatter is also normal. out of 105 Tundra owners, 60% percent of have it. As long as the clatter happens when the truck is cold and does not last more than a couple of seconds, then it is normal. If on the other hand your Tundra clatters/knocks under load and when warmed up, then you have a problem.

If you are really concerned about the clatter send an oil sample to an oil lab for analysis. If it comes back with high levels of metal content, then the knock is causing wear and tear in the engine. That would be a problem.
    I may not own a Tundra but I have experienced the toy clunk on my Lexus. Much less of a "troll" than you on a GM site starting crap.

Dusty, I humbly disagree on some of your statement. What I'm seeing on these boards is the opposite. When a Ford or GM has ANY kind of problem there are a few toy zealots that jump on it like the second coming.(You did say that)

What I'm seeing here is toy owners accepting start up knock or clunking ABS tests as normal.

I do agree on the ego statement.

The only reason I came to this topic is to see about the ABS clunk. I'm not accepting it as I would not accept a noisy motor on start up. My DOHC Cobra does not clatter on start up. my SOHC V10 doesn't either and my DOHC Lexus does not clatter on start up.

The only reason a vehicle, IMHO, would knock on start up is if the tolerances are too loose(current GM, past Fords and toy???) or if the oil filter drain back valve is inferior or faulty or the design is faulty allowing the oil back into the filter after stopping. The engine noise, even for a few seconds, is NOT right and is metal to metal or maybe a chain slapping a timing cover. Either way, too much wear.

Fischda, there is so much more to it than that. The Drum shoes have a leading and trailing shoe. Very little trailing shoe gets used on a forward stop. The heat dissipation is not even close between the 2. If drums are better, why would the majority of higher end vehicles, toy included, run 4 wheel discs and the lesser vehicles run drums on the back??

Pluto, that was 1 test. Were the tires equal? were there repeated panic stops done? Was there a long down hill grade thrown in? One test does not make a whole system better.
    You came onto a Tundra site insulting Toyota owners. You STILL are. When have I gone onto a GM site to insult GM owners. Can't find it - can you?

On the brake issue - I will always pick the truck that stops the best and has the best brakes. I really don't care if it is disks or drums. There have been numerous tests done by AMCI, Consumer Reports, Truck Trend, Motor Trend, and Edmunds. They unanimously show that the Tundra has the best brakes.

As I have said before - no cold start knock, no ABS clunk, just 2 years of flawless truck ownership. I am sorry that you have such a hard time believing this, but it is the truth.

If you want to insult truck owners, why don't you try it on another site? Just a little insecure? Jealous of Tundra owners?
    "The only reason a vehicle, IMHO, would knock on start up is if the tolerances are too loose(current GM, past Fords and toy???) or if the oil filter drain back valve is inferior or faulty or the design is faulty allowing the oil back into the filter after stopping. The engine noise, even for a few seconds, is NOT right and is metal to metal or maybe a chain slapping a timing cover. Either way, too much wear."

We can sit hear and name cars/trucks that knock/do-not-knock on start-up till the cows come home. The best way to find out if it is affecting engine wear is to send an oil sample to blackstone labs. If there are high levels of metal in your oil, then you have wear. If not, then you have no problem.

Here is an engine builder that says that it does not cause any problem.

"Piston Slap
    Piston rattle or slap when an engine is cold indicates too much clearance between pistons and cylinders. This may be due to excessive assembly tolerances or worn cylinders. Some forged pistons have a higher rate of thermal expansion than cast pistons, and may require slightly greater cold clearances to compensate. This, in turn, may produce some unwanted piston noise when a cold engine is first started, but it has no effect on piston performance, durability or longevity."

Here is the link to the quote. http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar80125.htm
    Little sensitive, are we? Do we feel insulted?? I certainly haven't insulted anyone on this thread. Also glad your toy is perfect. Why you here then??? I'm here to try to get a clunk that seems to be shared among toy/Lexus products fixed.

Nd, what's contradictory about your post is that earlier you said it was an oil drain back problem. Now it's a forged piston problem. Are the toys pistons forged??? BTW the last 5.0 I built runs the tighter clearance forged pistons(.003).........no knock, even with the pistons in backwards to gain some rod length. (offset piston pin)

The fact remains, if there is excessive clearance now, there is that much less to wear out before permanent knock or no oil ring seal.

The other strange fact is that some do it and some don't, why is that???

The reason bama is upset is that he has scoffed at GM owners that have said to accept start up knock. he has even brought up 2 year old articles when Ford had the problem(which they replaced motors) now that toy owner(s) say it's normal on toys, he's not criticizing. Strange indeed.
    "Predictable response from a toy owner about a toy problem. "

Yes, I think that you were being insulting and no I'm not kidding.

Still trolling? Are you lonely? Need attention? You should get out more.
    86 of 194 I Don't get it!!! by bamatundra Nov 27, 2001 (05:13 pm)
    Frey is telling BRAND NEW truck owners that their engines SHOULD KNOCK!!! I have always said - LOW EXPECTATIONS.

Is this what Chev meant by "like a rock" - Like a rock rattling around inside your engine?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    So now that nd has said that a lot of toys do it, what would you call that???

Sorry about that, my opinion on the motors is known, I would not accept it. I'm done with that.

HOWEVER, I am upset about the ABS clunk and will biotch about it till it's fixed or my Lexus is gone.
    Sometimes the truth does hurt. When toys do it it's no big deal but when a GM or Ford does it it's unacceptable. Your quote in my previous post shows this quite clearly......case closed.
    Don't play dumb. (Maybe you are not playing?) If you truly wanted to find out about problems with your Lexus - wouldn't you post to a Lexus topic? Because they would laugh you off of it?

If you owned a Cavalier would you go to a Silverado topic to find out about problems with it? Nope. Just trolling as usual.

As far as Tundras knocking goes - all I can say is that my Tundra does not knock. I also know of 3 other people personally that own Tundras and none of their Tundras knock.

Ndahl is claiming that 60% of Tundras knock. What was his source? A website. Don't make me laugh! I personally think that it is ludicrous.

The Tundra engine is basically the same engine used in the Lexus 470 and the Landcruiser. When Toyota publishes service bulletins about engine knocking, then I will believe it - not sooner.

GM has published TSBs about engine knock and Ford has also. I consider that incontrovertible proof.

My father in law just bought a GM truck with a knocking 6.0 liter engine. I consider this incontrovertible proof that at least one GM engine knocks.
    I have posted on the Lexus site. No help but some people have it.

So Ndahl is a liar???? Wow, you're even turning on your fellow toy brethren.

What I don't understand is that you criticize me for being here even though I own an upscale toy product but yet you troll the GM sites with no ownership ties. What gives??? A little hypocritical are we??
    I've shown your insults on a GM site that you claimed didn't exist.

I've shown that you "troll" on GM sites yet accuse other people of "trolling".

You now have called fellow toy owners liars because they post their problems on the net.

I have posted on the Lexus site to no avail. Wasn't laughed at at all, seems to be a common prob. (Gee!!! wrong again there bam)

You're looking a little silly about now!!
    Why don't you be a good little boy and go back to your Lexus forum. (Everyone knows that Lexus is junk)

I never called anyone a liar. I said that I don't believe that 60% of Tundra owners have engine knock problems.

If Ndahl wants to believe this it is fine with me. I just don't believe that 120,000 Tundra trucks are knocking and that Toyota would be totally silent on this issue. I consider my sources and believe very little that I read in these forums unless there is some substantiation. I personally have a lot of respect for Ndahl.

I don't troll on GM sites. It is well known (and GM has admitted that there is a serious knock problem with GM trucks.) I objected when one GM owner was rude and insulting to another.

When you buy a real truck like the Tundra - please come back. You might have just a little more credibility.
    "Ndahl is claiming that 60% of Tundras knock. What was his source? A website. Don't make me laugh! I personally think that it is ludicrous."

I put up a poll on Tundra Solutions and I am just reporting the results. You can see the poll and read about the owner's comments here

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8715

Now please stop bickering

From the GM engine knock site:

#95 of 197 Ray by bamatundra Nov 30, 2001 (01:17 am)
    I know that you may not agree with my opinions, but resorting to personal attacks makes you look juvenile.

I was responding to a GM owner who was attacking other GM owners for posting about problems with his truck. This has NOTHING to do with the fact that I don't own a GM truck. I would post the same response if this was a Ford, GM or Toyota forum.

By the way, I apologize to all the readers of this topic for my "Like a Rock" comment. It was intended more for the poster I was responding to than all GM owners.
    --------------------------------------------------

Why were you on the GM site??? Only you can "troll"??? Or is it not trolling when you do it???

A real truck?? The Tundra may be a fine vehicle but it'll never do the WORK and towing of my Super Duty.

Everyone knows Lexus is junk??? Until I see a toy TSB stating this I won't believe it. LMAO @ bama!!!

Thanx, nd. I doubt he'll believe you though.
    How many of the respondents to your poll were Tundra owners? Truck owners? Chevy, Dodge or Ford truck owners? How many are old enough to drive? How many posted more than one time? All it takes is an email address to respond to the poll.

It seems funny to me that over the two years that I have been following Tundra Solutions that there have been so few posts about engine knock if 120,000 Tundra owners had this problem. Why don't any of the 4 Tundras I personally know about have it? Are we just lucky? Why would Toyota remain silent on this issue?

Do you really believe the 60% figure you threw out? If not, please tell me how many Tundras REALLY have this problem? 50%? 5%? .5%? .05%?
    You don't know - do you?

This is what I mean by credibility. I do not personally believe that you have adequately substantiated your claim.

For Mod's benefit:

DISCLAIMER: This is just my personal opinion - I am not attacking Ndahl personally.
    You are sounding like Oby. Just repeat the same meaningless babble repeatedly. At least you are good for a laugh!

Now be a good little boy and troll some other topic!
    You're right about the laugh part. Since my posts contain your quotes that you never made, it is "good for a laugh"
    You just don't get it (and never will) I explained the reason why I posted in a GM topic many posts ago - yet you keep repeatedly accusing me of trolling GM topics.

Rewind
    Repeat
    Rewind
    Repeat
    Rewind
    Repeat
    You don't own a GM product, therefore you shouldn't be there. These are your rules, son. But I guess they don't apply to you??? Come to think about it, since your toy is so perfect and this is a toy "PROBLEMS" thread......I guess you're trolling here too. My God, bamatroll, find a topic that you fit in !!!

I, on the other hand, have a toy product that has a clunk that seems to be evident in other toy products. Sorry if I have caused you any embarrassment by bringing up something that may be a toy flaw.
    "How many of the respondents to your poll were Tundra owners? Truck owners? Chevy, Dodge or Ford truck owners? How many are old enough to drive? How many posted more than one time? All it takes is an email address to respond to the poll."

I do not know if there were any Dodge, Chevy, or Ford owners trying to mess with the poll. That is a valid concern. I take it on the "honor system" that those who responded truely own a Tundra and their Tundra has clatter on COLD start-up.

You are also correct that there might be people with multiple handles that have participated in the poll.

"It seems funny to me that over the two years that I have been following Tundra Solutions that there have been so few posts about engine knock if 120,000 Tundra owners had this problem."

Actually, I have seen a number of threads discussing this even before buying my Tundra. I did not prevent me from buying one, because it is a none issue. It has no impact on engine performance even if it happens in a Chevy :-)

"Why would Toyota remain silent on this issue?"

Because it is a none issue. Engines make noise when you start them cold in the morning. I would worry if they did not make noise.

"Do you really believe the 60% figure you threw out? If not, please tell me how many Tundras REALLY have this problem? 50%? 5%? .5%? .05%?
    You don't know - do you?"

I did not throw it out. Look at the first post. I said out of 103 (now 106) Tundra owners 60% report having the start-up clatter. That is all that said. I simply reported the poll results. But as you said, there might be dishonorable people who want to skew the results one way of the other.

"This is what I mean by credibility. I do not personally believe that you have adequately substantiated your claim."

Again, this is by no means a scientific poll. It is an internet poll. It does not say more than it does.
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    as well as all other legitimate Tundra owners, don't fall into (wink wink)'s position on anything, as we all know he's up to destroying this topic.
    what he should be reading is the "engine sludge" topic on the maintenance board. there are some pretty unhappy Toyota owners there, but a majority of them are Lexus owners. seems that the engines in the Lexus are built to take on water.
    haven't seen any posts related to the Tundra though. Ndahil is right, don't let some Bozo ruin this topic.
    all that's happening here is would be Edmunds members see this garbage and move on to other sites.
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    If you want to hear the knock you need to turn the radio off & put the seat belt on before you start the truck. The seat belt warning bell will drown out the noise, by the time the bell stops the engine noise is gone.
    I only hear mine when I start the car COLD in the first time in the morning. I have to leave the door open to hear it. And I wait until the warning chime goes away before I start the truck. If I close my door, put on my seat belt and start the truck I do not hear the clatter/knock noise.
    Rewind.
    Repeat.
    Rewind.
    Repeat.

"You don't own a GM product, therefore you shouldn't be there. These are your rules, son."

Well - NO, Mod, I never said that. I said that you shouldn't go to GM forums and post insulting the owners in that forum. Sort of like you did here. Man! You sure are being dense on this one.

"Come to think about it, since your toy is so perfect and this is a toy "PROBLEMS" thread......I guess you're trolling here too."

The only person I have heard complaining of any of my posts to this forum is a Ford Superduty pickup owner. Sound familiar? Maybe he should be out "working" it!

"I, on the other hand, have a toy product that has a clunk that seems to be evident in other toy products. "

You claim you own a Lexus! Your vehicle has not one part in common with a Tundra. I doesn't seem too smart to be posting in a Tundra forum.

Mod - Let's get the facts straight - you came into this forum referring to Tundra owners as "Toy boys". I called you on it. Why don't you tuck your tail between your legs and go troll on another topic?
    You most certainly insulted in the GM owners site. Here is the quote;

86 of 194 I Don't get it!!! by bamatundra Nov 27, 2001 (05:13 pm)
    Frey is telling BRAND NEW truck owners that their engines SHOULD KNOCK!!! I have always said - LOW EXPECTATIONS.

Is this what Chev meant by "like a rock" - Like a rock rattling around inside your engine?

--------------------------------------------------
    Talk about dense!!!

Sorry if I hurt your delicate and sensitive feelings with the "toy boy" comment. I apologize from the bottom of my heart. Please no more crying. You know what's funny, bama? You originally said my "insult" was the "typical response from a toy owner" comment.(read post #227) I must have hurt you sooo deep that you can't keep your story straight.

How do you know that the ABS module on the Tundra and the Lexus are not the same??? There was an Avalon owner here that reported the same noise. I guess since you claim to know everything else I'll just have to accept your statement. Didn't you say the V8's on the toy and Lexus were based off each other??? wouldn't the V6's be also??? Not one part????

I'm not having any problem with the car other than a clunk that some tundra owners(and now Avalon owner) also hear. It's not motor related for me at all.

There are Tundra owners here that have had motor noise on start up. You say if it's Ford or GM it shouldn't be accepted. You say the toy owners that have the noise are not being truthful. Do you believe any one??? Did your parents not give you any attention while growing up???

Here's a re-cap for the comprehension impaired(read bama) I came here to find out more on the clunk after the vehicle moves forward a few feet that some tundra owners reported on. I asked a simple question if these owners would accept the problem if it was on a GM.

You then accused me of being a troll. If being a troll is researching what may be a common problem with toys. What the hell does that make you???

What exactly do you bring to the discussion other than instigating crap. Your insult to ndahi in the GM forum RIGHT NOW is a perfect example. Why are you insulting a toy owner in a GM forum. Trolling maybe????

It's cool, since none of the toy owners here have come up with a fix for the clunk I don't need to be here anymore. I'm wondering why you'll need to be in a "toy problems" board? Oh yea, don't get too close to seelig(redsilverado) he'll want to have a sleep over like he did with his other GM buddy....be careful.
    Mod - don't get so defensive just because you were caught!

Now why don't you just run along in that Ford Stuporduty of yours?
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    The clatter sounds like it would be normal noise. If you think about it when you start your engine cold there is no oil on the top of the engine, the result is a second of valve clatter until the oil gets there. I thought there was something wrong with my Ram when I got it until I started to investigate and I found it to be valve train noise. Most people dont notice it because of other noise when they start their trucks.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Get OFF the personal comments. What is SO hard to understand about that?

If you can't agree to disagree when you need to, then I suggest you find someplace else to tear into each other. There are plenty of places on the web that allow you to do just that. Town Hall is NOT one of them.

We're heading into a new year... this nonsense is NOT going to make it into 2002.

Back to the trucks!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    As a very happy Tundra owner I'd just like to say the the Avalanche is ugly...thank you
This discussion has been closed.