Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Problems

Comments

• ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    but the Avalanche is not really a Toyota Tundra Problem is it? That's why threads like these go haywire...
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    As an unbiased bystander, my observation is that Bamatundra and Modvptnl are BOTH guilty of unsportsmanlike conduct and should cease. I don't believe you need claims of ownership to participate in any forum. I, for one, am considering buying a truck. I know it will be either a Tundra, Silverado or F-150, therefore I belong on ANY forum having anything to do with the three. I'm getting information to help me with my decision - I'LL decide how much credibility individual posts warrant!

Additionally, I own a Toyota Sienna, and many on those forums complain about the ABS clunk. I've decided to believe the clunk is due to shifting brake pads and ABS self-test, depending on the situation. I don't notice it on my van, though.

As for clatter, Lariat1's explanation is the best. MOST cars do this when cold. My VW Jetta certainly does, but after a short warm up, the little 1.8T engine is silky smooth!

A hint about cold starts and warm up. The old practice of starting a cold engine and letting it idle up to temperature is actually potentially harmful! It's prefered to start up and drive the car immediately but at more sudued rpms. Why? Because this better distributes oil to the engine and brings it up to temp better. Just idling increases the time it takes for the oil to get all through the engine.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    fischda, thanks for that advice! I have a 2000 Jetta, and it has been sounding pretty ugly the past few days with the outdoor temp at 14 degrees. I had considered letting it warm up like my parents used to do... but then again, they also used to pour hot water on a frozen windshield.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

It's a VW trait, the engine noise should smooth out after a mile or so. I got one better than pouring hot water on a frozen windshield. A neighbor in Chicago put a work light on her engine, a blanket over that, and shut the hood for the night. Result - car-b-que!!

As for the Tundra, it's 20 degrees today - think I'll go to the dealer and test drive one - see if it makes noise on start up!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    That's a classic! I'll use it soon and claim it as my own :)

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bugwizrbugwizr Member Posts: 50
    Here is my take on the Toyota Tundra problems. I have the 2001 4X2 Limited, snugtop, sunroof, flowmasters, K&N filter, Westins, etc.

Too much sway in the truck. Feels really sloppy.

Armrest (on the right side) too short for an arm. Especially for a left hander like me. I drive with the left hand and tend to try to rest my other arm on that silly armrest.

Console is too low. Raise it up and it could be like an armrest on the bench seats.

The clock-kinda stupid location, but not a real deal breaker.

The "pump it up" lumbar support. Ineffective. I've had more support with an air mattress.

Back seat small- who cares? I ride in the front.

Steering column shifter. Does anybody else find it to be rather stiff? I feel like I am going to break it by forcing it.

Nowhere to sit the cell phone. It rattles around in the cupholders, and the top of the console won't remain propped open. It slams shut. Console also is a big rattle trap.

CD holders in the console are gimmicky as well as the coin holder. Amateur.

The garage opener/sunglass combo. Maybe okay, but my garage holder doesn't fit, and the door is too old to work with the programming. I'll try the sunglass option.

Windows really rattle when partially open.

Stuff in the back seat really goes flying across the leather when I turn. Between the sway and the leather, nothing stays on the seat.

These items are really minor, but I wanted to concur with what a guy said on a previous post.

Mostly the armrests. I can't get comfortable in the captain's seats.

Anybody experiencing any REAL problems though?
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    Nope, I would agree with you on most points. I do think that the captains chairs are mighty comfy though-even the cheap armrests.

My garage door opener does fit and it's real nice just touching that tab to open the door and not have the opener clipped to my visor.

I have a cell phone rattling around in my cup holder quite a bit. I don't know too many vehicles that come with a cell phone holder built in though.

Steering column shifter on mine is no stiffer than any other auto trans car I've driven.

I have a 2000 SR-5 4x2. 29,000 miles on it-only been to the dealership for oil changes and one vibration problem with the brakes (at around 10k miles).
  • hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    Well let's see...when I drive with my window half open it rattles a little bit. When I'm going 80 on the interstate it only feels like I'm going 50! Otherwise no real problems
    I know what you mean. It's hard to keep the thing at 65. I can't imagine having any severe problems with my transportation. I wouldn't know when to cut bait with a truck that I owed a lot of money on. A chronic problem, but not a Lemon? I'd drive it over a cliff.
    It's funny, I was looking at the chevy silverado problems forum and there are something like 1700+ posts in there but only 259 in here in the same time frame. Heck, there's a seperate discussion just for gm engine knock.

I don't understand why people defend a manufacturer of junk like that.
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    In the Chevy Problem forum isnt a Toyota Tundra Problem...

No problem with my Tundra.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    ...on the Tundra please.
    Just an observation from a problem free Tundra owner. That's all.
  • losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    My only Toyota Tundra problem is .... the fact that i dont have one ... yet = )
  • controlgodcontrolgod Member Posts: 14
    When I got into work this morning, our outside weather station reported that it was a balmy 0.4 degrees outside... ;). I did not notice any clatter when I started my truck. It had been parked in my unheated garage at home and I definitely would have been able to here anything. I guess that maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

I've had my 02 SR5 4WD TRD for just over 1 1/2 weeks and about 300 miles. Nothing to complain about yet, except that I didn't get the Red Ribbon that I was promised if it arrived before Xmas, or the cute Santa's helper that was going to help enjoy the new ride. Oh well, you can't have everything and if this is as good as it gets, I won't complain.

Everyone have a Safe and Happy New Years. Leave the roadways to the Rookies tonight.

Tony K. aka Controlgod
    No Tundra yet. I raved about my last test drive (47 miles worth) in other Tundra discussion. I actually prefer the front bench over buckets, and will probably stick with cloth over leather. Have leather in my Jetta, and while it's quite nice, it's not all that and a bag of chips.

I thought the TRD suspension was levels above Ford and Chevy's - it's right for the truck!

I wish Toyota would offer heated mirrors, lumbar in front 60/40 seat, and leather wrapped steering wheel in SR5 - I may have to go to Limited for that. Both my Jetta and Sienna have leather steering wheels and it makes a great big difference in grip.

Solution to cell phone problem - velcro tape!!!
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    "I don't believe you need claims of ownership to participate in any forum."

I don't either - I do believe that people should not post in a Tundra forum bashing all other Tundra owners. This is known as trolling.

"Additionally, I own a Toyota Sienna, and many on those forums complain about the ABS clunk. I've decided to believe the clunk is due to shifting brake pads and ABS self-test, depending on the situation. I don't notice it on my van, though."

Like you - I don't have any clunk due to the ABS on my Tundra. I do highly recommend the ABS - I drive in the rain a lot with the bed empty and the ABS makes for some perfectly smooth, short panic stops.

My younger brother is closing a deal on a Tundra today. He found a deal on a 2WD SR5 extended cab. It has the convenience and TRD packages, LSD, 3 in one stereo and captains chairs.

He is getting it for invoice. He also got 3 year 0% financing. That makes for a $711/mo. truck payment - OUCH!! At least it will be paid for in 3 years. He plans on keeping it for a long time (like me).
    A dealer copied and gave me a pretty comprehensive '02 Tundra book. From what I gathered, the regular differential and LSD has the same gearing - 3.909, I think. What, then is limited slip and how does it differ than the standard diff?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    A limited slip differential refers to the construction of the device (called a carrier) that the ring gear mounts on. The lsd carrier has small (less than 3" dia.) friction plates, held together by the force of little springs, the purpose of which are to keep the axles turning together. They offer a small benefit on level surfaces like iced roadways, where the traction or weight is nearly equal on both sides. If one wheel is up in the air, a lsd is utterly worthless.

A better alternative is the locker differential from Eaton. http://www.torquecontrol.eaton.com/prod6.htm

• wheeldogwheeldog Member Posts: 39
    The full locking differential is much more effective than the LSD, but it also tends to produce a lot more noise, chatter, etc. during normal on-road driving. Unless a person is doing a lot of off-roading, the LSD is a lot more practical.

I think that an LSD can be made to work (sort of) with one wheel off the ground by getting on both the brake and the accelerator. I've never run one, but that is what I've heard.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    The Eaton locker doesn't make any noise during normal on-road driving.
    Many Tundra owners have installed this and are happy with it. Read this thread:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/showthread.php?

s=aa3c69f74873c0329bc13f6520f319f4&threadid=6007&highlight=powertrax

You will have to join on the last part of the link, Edmunds does not allow links longer than 115 characters.
    Genius. Velcro! I'm going to try it.
  • jmsintxjmsintx Member Posts: 41
    "If one wheel is up in the air, a lsd is utterly worthless." No, with an open differential this statement is true. The LSD allows limited slip, then sends torque to the other wheel.
  • jmsintxjmsintx Member Posts: 41
    This may help you understand how a lsd works. No thanks necessary, regards.

http://www.tpub.com/basae/126.htm

You got to forgive Quad, he is out of his depth (very shallow).

He calls DOHCs "thingies". Does this tell you something?
  • jimedwardsjimedwards Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 SR5 Access cab vibrates between 55-65 mph. Whenever the brake pedal is pressed down, the steering wheel shakes back and forth. The dealer performed the tsb for warped rotors, and new pads at 13,000 miles. It seemed to be okay, but the steering wheel shake returned within about 5,000 miles. There also seems to be an excessive amount of brake dust on the front rims. The dealer says this is normal, but I don't think so. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed with the brakes on my truck. While it stopped well at first, the right front wheel has a distinct tendency to lock-up on rainy streets. It nearly caused an accident when I veered into an adjacent lane at the light.

My only other regret is weak leaf springs. If I put more than about 800 lbs in back, it sags and bounces over freeway expansion joints.
  • ak4x4ak4x4 Member Posts: 126
    Gosh seems you guys are having alot of problems with your "perfect" Tundra's. Since everyone can out peform my 2001 Rado I guess when your brakes fail ou can really beat me. I guess It also means towing you when you leak Glycol everywhere. But you guys are just so fast!. I guess your blazing speed down the road 55-65 mph will have you flying past me but how many lanes will you be in??? Do I ne to watch out for steering shaft's flying out at me. And after you pass me and I roll down my window to say hi, should I watch out for yours falling or going down without reason(Real good to know about while driving through a bad hood) And I am not trolling, I am merely stating all the things that make a Tundra a Tundra, Since I made a mistake buying my Rado and it is a POS compared to The Tundra.
    If you're wheel locks up on you take it back to Toyota!. This can be due toa improper code to the ABS or the brake system itself. Dust, etc should not effect this. And did this problem occur befre or after your TSB and rotor fix?? The Dealersip may have messed up your brakes.
    Toyota just came out with new rotors and brake pads for your 2000 Tundra. The fix is either on the way to the dealer or it is already there. Get in touch with your dealer and see if he has the new brake fix.

The brakes were a known problem on the 2000 Tundra only. It was a brand new truck back then and it had some toothing pain.

Read this thread. It will give you an idea about the new fix

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8878&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

• mfaudmfaud Member Posts: 2
    my 2001 tundra has the warping brake problem also. the dealer machined the rotors, and installed new pads. i think they all do it.
    Hmm, I had a brake vibration at around 10k miles. The dealer did replace pads, turned rotors and replaced a star adjuster on the rear brakes. I've never had a problem with lockup and haven't had any more vibrations since (I have almost 30k miles on my truck now).

Sounds like your dealership messed up the job.

BTW-Does your truck have ABS? Mine does not.
  • sdainesdaine Member Posts: 1
    I think they all do it also. At first, they tried resurfacing the rotors. Last time I got new rotors and pads. After 3 trys now, and problem always returns. A $29,000 truck should NOT have this problem, PERIOD.

- Stewart
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I know of at least one Tundra owner whose brakes have been flawless....care to comment Bama?
  • utahblaine357utahblaine357 Member Posts: 1
    I will be looking for a new pickup this year and have narrowed my two selections to a Toyota Tundra or Chevy Silverado. I know The Reliability of Toyota and the seats and interior are not great, but what I really need to know is the towing and handling under load.I live in steep hilly country and will want to pull a 2 horse trailer up hills only a few times a year. anyone out there who uses there pickup to tow please give me the scoop. Randy p.s. trailer and horses no more than 6,000. lb
    Let me correct myself. the 2000 Tundras and some early 2001 were known to have the problem. My 2002 does not have it. But I do not have alot of miles on my truck. Time will tell if my truck will develop a brake problem or not.

One way to solve this problem. Is to get a new pair of rotors and have them cryotreated. I have use crytreating on the rotors for my race car and they work great. No warpping or cracking under intense use.

I will do that on a set of Tundra rotors if mine get warpped.
    Here is your answer about the towing ability of the Tundra. Enjoy the read.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=86238#post86238

Actually, the captains chairs in the Tundra are great. Most comfortably truck I've ridden in and I'm 5'11" and 180lbs.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    I know that you can't tell someone's tone over the net so I want you to know that this is NOT a flame.

How could you race cars and cryo parts etc. and not know what splines and yoke are???

Just curious.
    I detect a lack of belief on your part that I actually race and mod my car. Here is my proof. A detailed web site of the mods I have done to my car and the track events I have been to.

http://www.geocities.com/n_dahi
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    You've just said a few things over the weeks that have made me wonder about your mechanical knowledge.

To try to keep on topic, one of your comments on the "dry" oil filter on start up causing start up clatter on the Tundra made me raise an eye brow.
    If you do all this racing then why do you only own a 4x2?? Just curious. I would have gone for the 4x4 and not been cheap. Also why don't you trymy car sometime. It's just a little BMW, but I m sure you will beat it. Slight mods. Just an Active Autowerke conversion. But then again I'll just race ya on my 1100 and we'll see who wins. So when ya going to add the "type-R" stickers to your car and truck??
    Would you happe to havea "Real world" Dyno test for you car??? Just curious what it makes.
    no turbo? NOS? hmmmmmmmmmmm.

BTW, ak4x4, the remark about the type R sticker was definitely uncalled for.
    I was not making a rude remerk toward him. Many cars and even trucks seem to have a "Type-R" or type "SI" sticker on em. And yes I do know what the real versions of these car look like. It is a fact that most "Racing" type imports do have these stickers. Fact is I had one before I gave it to a pal whom put it on his Eclipse. But it is a funny sticker to seeon a Neon or I have even seen one on Tacoma. But he was taling about Drag racing a Tundra. For more downforce at speed you would need a rear wing in the bed or on the roof cab, and you wold nee "All the Mods" to make it go fast. That is a fact. But I guess you can do without the Type-R sticker if you want since everyone else has one on their Neons'.
    I'm assuming you're referring to the Integra
    Type-R.....kinda confusing as it has nothing to do with trucks....so I figured you was trying to be a wise [non-permissible content removed]. Excuse me if I'm mistaken.
    Usually you're a little more literate in your posts.

I couldn't help but notice the time of your post and the really poor grammar and spelling.

I'm just concerned is all, you may have a problem.
    It has nothing to do with being cheap. I got a 4X2 because I do not NEED a 4X4. I live in SoCal. Little rain and no snow. Plus a 4X4 needs more maintenance and makes the truck more complicated.
    You live in Alaska and a 4X4 is a MUST.
    There is no way I can race you since you live far away. I do road course racing only. I do not drag race.
    And yes you can race me.

I will be shipping my M3 up here from Miami thi summer. It was going to go through L.A. then onward to Seattle, then on a boat up to the port. I could make an acception as I do have family in L.A. and San Diego. But I don't think an M3 and a 200SX is a fair match. Unless I can compete against you. I don't know if you are even in the same class as me(Racing wise). I use to race SCCA in my Miata and saw some 200sx's and alot of Acuras and VW's. You tell me. If I can't compete due to rules then I guess there is no point. But I can make MIA-L.A. in two days. Done it before. Just worried about I-10 though.
    If you are really interested we can do some time trials at ButtonWillow raceway. I am will be their on the 26 & 27 of January. The event is held by http://www.wurthmotorsports.com/ You can register at their web site and meet me their.
This discussion has been closed.