Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Problems

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    The point is that I copied and pasted the numbers into my post from his post. So what does that mean ak? It means that YOU provided the numbers and not me.

You best take a second look. Ask a friend. Maybe there's something missing cause everyone else sees it but you....and you posted the numbers...not once...BUT TWICE.

Seems like the village has two of them....and both are missing...eh pluto?
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    What do your posts have to do with the TUNDRA? Please keep chevy topics in the chevy thread. Is that too hard to do?
  • losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    This is pure comedy. Ya know, i used to be able to figure out who stood for what in here, so much for that. It's beyond confusing now. A big thank you to Oby / Mod for doing a little 1st grade math and figuring out that AKs figures are fuzzy. I was hoping that I wasn't the only one in here that noticed that. Ya never know anymore in here, what ya see isn't always what ya get !!!
    Powerman, ya kinna scared me there for a minute. Glad ya got that noise figured out = ). Anyone else had any problems with their new 2002s yet ??? Really hoping not.
  • ak4x4ak4x4 Member Posts: 126
    Read:

You just quoted me the difference between the Rado 4x2 with 3.42 gears which has a 6600 lbs tow rating

The 4x2 with 3.73 gears has a 7600 lb tow capacity

the 4x4 with 3.73 gears has a 7300 lb tow capacity
    and the 4x4 with the 4.10 gears has a 8300 lb tow capacity.

How many of you guys have a 4.10 rear end?? I do so that's what my truck can pull. Maybe if you "experts" would look at your "Tundra" Brochures it would explain it. More Torque=More tow capacity. But you are not getting off that easy: If you look at the figures you will see that the 2wd Tundra beats the 4x4 in one category. But since all your Tundras seen to be falling apart I guess you won't be towing anything anyway... And LAEMT, I buy new unlike that used POS 95 that you have. has less HP and tow out of all of us. Besides dosen't LA county pay u guys fairly well??Plus you are a Rado owner also so keep the comments to yourself. And smartguy Obyone, If you are going to quote me do it in proper form. I mean since everyone thinks any 4x2 can outpull a 4x4. And can anyone answer my question: If you run an engine up to say 5,000 rpm do the pistons stop before going back up?? I would love to hear some of your D.A. answers on that one. And ho many have made service appts yet
    for all your perfect trucks that have so many problems. Yeah nice 17,000 dollar wrench they use to put em together.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    So what is the towing limit of a 4X2 with 4.10's??

Be willing to bet it's a few hundred pounds greater than the 4x4 as it is all the way down the line.

It will be hard teaching you something since you pretty much know it all, but I'll try.

Every vehicle has a GCVWR. This is different than the GVWR that's on the door. The "Gross COMBINED vehicle weight rating" is the max the TOTAL vehicle, including payload AND TRAILER, can weigh.

Regardless of a vehicle's tow rating it still cannot exceed the GCVWR. If your half ton has a GCVWR of 14,000 pounds and your truck and payload weigh 7700, the biggest trailer you may tow legally would be 6300 pounds, EVEN IF IT's RATED TO TOW 8600.

Now, since a 4x4 ALWAYS weighs more than a 4X2, that weight of the truck subtracts from the gross.

Just simply state that you're wrong and you may be able to save some face.
    He doesn't see the picture.....

ak I'll do this one more time.........

When comparing hauling and towing specs....you need to keep the read ends the same as they impact the limits....WHAT does this mean?

You need to compare a 4x2 with 3.73 with a 4x4 with a 3.73 and NOT 4.10s. What is so hard to understand?...I'm done with this

Where is this village anyway?
    AK in regards to your previous comments ...

" And LAEMT, I buy new unlike that used POS 95 that you have. has less HP and tow out of all of us. Besides dosen't LA county pay u guys fairly well??Plus you are a Rado owner also so keep the comments to yourself "

First off, if you would have paid attention you would realize that i said it was my ROOMMATES Silverado. I posted to Chev. board to call in the experiences and knowledge of people such as Oby/Quad, and others. I cant help find it funny that you also refer to my roommates older Rado as a POS, when you yourself drive the same model, must be your idea of brand loyalty.

Secondly, yes L.A. County guys get paid very well. You ASSUMED I work there which i dont. I work for a private ambulance.

As far as keeping commments to myself ... If we all did that, there wouldn't be any forums would there. We are blessed to have our 1st Ammendment right, and to be able to share in here our differences and likes. I myslef was a lead mechanic for a few years in an auto shop specializing in engine overhauls, and other related work. I also have been working on cars for 10 years in general. Not to mention, 8 years on a fire engine and now almost 2 years on an ambulance. You crunch numbers and rely on your limited knowledge of truck accidents and the damage done. I've probably seen more accidents than everyone in this room combined. Si im very well qualified to speak about how these trucks hold up on the road. This is the type of thing I share in here, and I learn from others just the same.

I STILL cant figure this out though AK , please explain. How are you comparing the tow capactiy of trucks with different gear ratios !!! I guess this factor means nothing in the performance of the truck. According to your own fuzzy math, the 4x2 tows more than the 4x4, yet you still persist that its the other way around. So I'll patiently await an intelligent answer, even if it does come from someone else, which is pretty likely.
    do all these posts have to do with the TUNDRA? Please take your little war to a CHEVY thread.
  • lasher5lasher5 Member Posts: 22
    I'm sure that the tundra is reliable but Toyota can make mistakes. I owed an 89 Supra with the DOHC six that blew head gaskets constantly as anyone who owed a supra or cressida will tell you. The problem with the tundra is that it looks small and is small inside. In our shallow world looks are everything, dependability counts very little. Just ask GM.
    These are things regarding the tow capacity of Tundras according to AK, he brought em up , he can answer
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/keepup/b07-383940.htm

Someone posted this link in the "Import cars over-rated" topic. It's a very interesting article on Japanese car/truck manufacturers and the domestics.

• powermanpowerman Member Posts: 20
    The noise had me a little worried too, at least until I found the can rattling around in the back!

I couldn't figure out what the noise was, or where it was coming from. The truck has been great so far!
  • frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    own one. The ideal size for my garage: it FITS. Not all of us need to look like we are Mr. 18 Wheeler. ;-)
    I was giving you guys the benefit of my mistake. From my former post read it.

Also: I went to Toyota today and spoke with the head service tech. He said that depending on towing conditions the 4x2 will outperform the 4x4 and vice-versa. And I did not know that Toyota did not have gearing options(That's funny!). Most of the Rado's I know of have the 4.10's just like mine. In Alaska more people need the towing power. Now Toyota needs to give an option for those gear ratios. And to those of you who don't think any 4x4 will outperform and tow a 4x2 I have something you should read:Think of a 4x2 as one axle spinning two wheels. That's the power you get to the two wheels only. Take a 4x4 what's the difference?? You have another 2 wheels engaging power. What does that mean?? I think it's self explanatory. When you have power going to two wheels you ONLY get power going to THOSE wheels. Maybe all you super Tundra guys out to take a Tundra 4x4 out to see what I mean. Do any of you guys really think that you could out tow a 4x4 in rain or Icy conditions. Also give Toyota a call at 1-800-331-7331 and ask them about the Piston delima. If you have better pistons then should you have more HP and Torque? And LAemt you're saying that if any truck or car hits you percious Tundras that there won't be the same or more damage then a simular size Pickup?? The advisor from Toyota said that they are about the same. And here's my answer. I think it's funny that Toyota does not offer any options for gearing. If they want to stay in the game they need to do this. And LAEMT why don't you tell us how many accidents are attributed to Cell-phone, Tuning the radio, or putting in a CD?? Just curious since all you guys have to have those options. ANd for Now I guess that GM and Ford can out perform the Tundra on wet conditions. Also what is the ratio for a Tundra 4x4 and a 4x2(I assume it's the same)...
    More problems with the "perfect truck" seem to be arriving daily. LMAO...
    WTF did he say????

I knew cabin fever can screw with some people, but this is ridiculous!!!
  • smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    I used to think the biggest nut lived in a hut in Montona. I think he has moved to Alaska. You can pull more with 4wd!!! That is one of the funnier things I have read in quite sometime. Wouldn't it be easier to just admit you were wrong? Why drag it out and make yourself look even more misinformed?
    .....maybe his bed is welded to the frame and that adds towing capacity too???
    The Tundra final gear ratio is 3.91. And you are correct Toyota does not offer other gear ratios. That is fine by me. I think 3.91 is ideal.

Please move on and leave us TUNDRA owners with our MAJOR problems.

Wondering where the hell Bamatundra disappeared.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    I'm worried about you boy.Are you ON something?
    kip
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    People here and on the GM pages don't agree on which truck's the best but there's a overwhelming majority in both places (myself included) who know by looking in thier owners manual that you don't have a clue about towing!Quit embarasing yourself .
    kip
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Please try to be a man and admit when you are wrong. GEEZ! you are beginning to sound like AK!

1. No - I will not prove that you don't know what you are talking about. It is readily apparent to any sentient being (except you). You have ADMITTED that you were speculating about Tundra pistons being forged! (They are actually cast). Why should I have to post that you don't know what you are talking about when you have already admitted it! MAN!

2. I have no idea about any noise Tundras do or do not make. As I have posted many times - mine does not. Do you want me to speculate? What good would that do?
    You are full of crap

So you do not know what pistons the Tundra runs, yet you are sure it does NOT run forged pistons. You are full of it. you come on this board and criticize peoples' knowledge of cars, yet you fail to provide one iota of information to support your positon. Until you show me otherwise, the pistons of the Tundra are forged.

So just because your tundra does not do it, then all the other Tundras do not either. WOW. Since you are such an expert, please help us mere mortals by speculating as to why there is start-up clatter in the Tundra. 62% of us have the cold start-up clatter and we are seeking your sage advise.
    AK , I wasn't sure if you admitted your mistake or not, couldn't tell. If you are reconsidering what you said, then I can respect that. As far as me saying that the Tundra is superior as far as crash safety goes, well that wasn't my point. My point was that after responding to hundreds and hundreds of accidents, my observations are the following ...

The vehicles I most often see that don't fare too well are the Ford products in general. They seem to crumple in odd places when considering the mechanism of the accident to start with. Does that mean they all do ? No not saying that, just most of them that I've seen over past 10 years.

The Toyota products and more specifically the trucks seem to hold up better. Not every model of every year , but a good portion of them. The trucks seem to do a good job at containing the crash to the area of impact. Most of the head on wrecks i've seen, contained the collison to the engine compartment with very minimal cab intrusion which is key in many wrecks.

I will say that the GM trucks , moreso the latter years have also done a pretty decent job holding together. Not quite as well as Toyota, but Ive seen some, usually the heavier duty ones, that did an excellent job beyond all makes. Every make and model will have a weakness in one form or another, thats what makes our trucks unique. I prefer Toyota, as I've had the chance to tear apart their engines and related parts and was impressed wih what I saw. As well as their safety rating, and the overall smoothness, quietness and reliability that Toyota has come acustom to offering.

In regards to your cell phone , CD player comment. Its very true that many of the wrecks are caused by people talking on the phone while driving, and/or watching T.V. which isn't legal. Many have admitted to it suprisingly. It is proven that driving on the phone impairs your judgement similar to being intoxicated by alcohol. Not safe, but many will continue to do it. On that subject, I know youre not a big fan of luxuries in trucks. Toyota though, as attested to by many, probably has the smallest selection of these options. So I think the GM / Ford products are geared more towards luxury.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's get away from the personal comments OK?

Back to the trucks.

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

"You are full of crap"

No need to post personal attacks just because you are WRONG.

"So you do not know what pistons the Tundra runs, yet you are sure it does NOT run forged pistons."

No, actually - I DO know what pistons the Tundra runs - cast.

"you come on this board and criticize peoples' knowledge of cars, yet you fail to provide one iota of information to support your positon."

Hmmm. I am still waiting for you to show any evidence that they are forged. You have admitted that you don't know.

"So just because your tundra does not do it, then all the other Tundras do not either. WOW."

I never said this - YOU DID.

"Since you are such an expert, please help us mere mortals by speculating"

As I have said before - What good is speculating?

"62% of us have the cold start-up clatter"

No, 62% of people who responded to your fatally flawed poll claimed they had clatter. We don't even know if they own trucks. All I know for certain is that they have email addresses.
  • thetrojanman03thetrojanman03 Member Posts: 8
    4x4s put less power to the ground, that's partly why the 4x2 can tow more, assuming there's no rain, ice or mud. Cars and trucks loose power through their tansmissions, a 4x4 has 2 transmissions so they loose more power. Also, 4x4 adds weight, also cutting down on towing capacity.
    "No, actually - I DO know what pistons the Tundra runs - cast."

Where is the evidence? Show me a link to a reputable site that supports what you are saying. Saying it does not make it so. It is just like me saying that the Tundra runs forged pistons. Your assertion is not better than mine.

You are in such denail. You are willing to call 62% flawed rather than admit that the Tundra has cold start-up clatter.

Fine, forget about the poll. My Tundra has start-up clatter. Care to explain to me why it does it? I would like to hear your explanation for the clatter. I use an OEM oil filter and I run the recommende oil. Please tell me why I have the clatter.
    One of our rental cars (when I managed an office in Wilshire) was in an accident with another car, a head on collision. It was a Toyota Corolla (early 90s model-fairly small car) and I was amazed at how well the car fared. The front end was toast and the car was totalled but there were no intrusions into the passenger compartment. I was impressed.
    LAEMT: I was admitting to my mistake. Seeing as I have a 4.10 gear ratio I did not know that Toyota did not offer this option until yesterday. I was comparing it to mine. So My truck has more while the others with different gearing have less. Yes In Rain, or ICE conditions a 4 wheel drive will provide better traction and power to what you are hauling. The thing that makes the Tundra hard to compare to to any other 1/2 ton is the fact that the HP is less but the torque is more. The Chevy 5.3 only puts out 300. But where the torque prevail HP does not. I wold like to see the how the Tundra would do against any 1/2 out there. Any mag or net articles??

TROJANMAN: You say this:4x4s put less power to the ground, that's partly why the 4x2 can tow more, assuming there's no rain, ice or mud. Cars and trucks loose power through their transmissions, a 4x4 has 2 transmissions so they loose more power. Also, 4x4 adds weight, also cutting down on towing capacity.

"Assuming" what if there is rain, or ICE??? Yes the 4x4 adds weight. But consider this if it does add weight which it does,then in rain or ice conditions the 4x4 is putting MORE power to the ground. 4 wheels are getting traction in any condition correct?? Yes the full HP and torque is
    Mainly going to the rear, but you still get a bit of power in the front.

NDHAL: and BamaTundra. I posted Toyota's number to call. I suggest you guys call it.

BAMA and NDHAL:Bama if you were running forged pistons from an engineering standpoint you would have more HP and Tourque then anyone else. NDHAL is correct and I will stand by his Cast statement. If yours is indeed different for some reason(It might be) You may have somethng special. It's just the way you react that put's me in doubt. If anyone remembers the Acura type-R the pistons were polished to a mirror finish. This increasedHP to 195HP from 170HP. Just think of that example..
    Where do you get your wacked info????? Forged pistons in and by themselves cannot add horsepower. Forged pistons will take more abuse for power adders and such but they don't magically add horsepower.

Polishing pistons may help alleviate hot spots and deter detonation or pre-ignition but it's highly unlikely they'll magically add horsepower. The R's have different compression ratios, cam timing and a host of other features that increased the horsepower.

Your 4WD statements are still ignorant. If you want to say that towing in 4WD during icy or wet conditions may be safer, we might accept that. Stop saying it's because of the power or whatever BS you keep trying to save face with. The bottom line is exact equipt trucks where the only diff is 2 or 4WD, the 2WD truck is rated to tow MORE. It has nothing to do with the less power output from the 2 transmissions as someone else mistakingly said.
    I have not been at it for 10 years but from what I've seen your opinion seems to be very subjective(that would be S on the SOAP chart)

There was an accident a few weeks ago that killed 2 women in their Camry where the truck that T-boned 'em was barely doing 20MPH. I've seen all brands where nobody should of lived and people walked away. It is impossible to predict the type of impact that will cause the injury.
    Bad day at Burger King?? Yes compression does play a role in it, but I think you need to go learn something about cars. And as far as you say "May" be safer?? Take your Tundra out in the rain or Ice and put a trailer up to it. You'll se that on Ice and rain the rear wheels lose grip. More so on Ice as in Rain. But let me guess, you have some sort of "Magic Tundra" that the rear wheels don't slip in those conditions. If you have that, then you just outperformed every single rear-wheel drive car and truck out there. And I never claimed any answer to the question buddy. Since the head service techs at Toyota don't know the answer. I would advise you to put your Tundra in a garage and sit on is for a while. Since your truck does not slip in rain or ice at all. Funny alot of other Toyota and big 3 owners would disagree with you.
    Are you TRYING to say????

You said earlier that a 4wd has a higher tow rating than a 2WD. After nearly EVERYONE on this board told you you're FOS you CHANGED it to some song and dance about snow and ice. I don't tow in snow and ice, don't know what it looks like, could care less. Gee Wizz, Wally, a 4WD will tow more on a sandy beach too! I guess it's settled, 4WD is rated higher. The ratings of the vehicles speak for themselves. Just admit you're wrong.

Your "polished piston and forged piston adding power has to be one of the most ignorant posts (of many) you've ever posted. Now you're gonna come back with, "polished pistons in snow create more power."

Dude, you're over your head when it comes to car knowledge. Just kick back and learn a few things and try to be humble when you're wrong instead of making scenarios up.
    You pretty much just re-stated what I said
    For your piston problem, I offer a direct quote from the Edmunds.com review of the new Acura Integra type-R -- "When you run the gutsy Type R to 8,000 rpm, just short of its 8,500-rpm redline, it delivers a street-racer worthy 195 horsepower, mostly due to its hand-polished intake and exhaust ports and a high-flow exhaust system." -- I see comments regarding intake and exhust ports and a high flow exhaust system, nothing about forged or polished pistons. Forged pistons do not give an engine more power than cast pistons. However, they can withstand more power and higher cylinder pressures than cast pistons as they are stronger. An engine with say . . . 150,000 miles on it with forged pistons might put out SLIGHTLY more power than a comporable engine with cast pistons besause they are more durable and will not wear out as quickly.
    Good post. He confused polished intake with pistons!!! Oh well.

I'll respectfully disagree on cast vs forged on longevity. A forged piston will take more abuse BUT is USUALLY set up a little looser than a cast piston. In a truck application I believe a forged piston will withstand higher stresses due to extra heat from towing or pre-detonation and other outside forces but a cast piston being tighter to begin with will not wear out any faster. A cast piston is more susceptible to pinging and damage but it may actually last a tad longer, if not abused, due to the tighter original clearances.

As far as the Tundra is concerned, my guess is that it runs cast pistons for one main reason. It is an LEV motor and the tighter to begin with tolerances actually contribute to this(another long explanation)

As far as 4X4 vs 4X2 and towing, I'll give odds that the EXACT difference in towing is EXACTLY the curb weight difference of the 2. With the 2WD obviously having the higher rating.
    I will agree that its very difficult to predict impacts vs. injuries, but that wasn't what I was commenting on. My post and opinion may seem subjective, but it's based on my experiences with all makes of autos/trucks over many years times in many different areas. Im not predicting a thing, im taking into consideration 10 years of real world experience. The numbers may agree or disagree, but I've never been a number cruncher.

I wasn't a Toyota fan many years ago to start with. I found it easier to work on GM stuff especially Chevy, at least from a mechanics standpoint. Over many years time, I was able to observe/dismantle many makes of autos and formed my opinions accordingly. I still prefer workin on GM/Chevy products for the most part. Although over the years, I've come acustomed to Toyotas reliability and overall performance. I took into consideration what I was seeing on the fire engine everyday and formed my opinion from that, not other way around. That is why I favor Toyota. I have seen the overall results involving safety and I choose Toyota. Yes it's very true that all makes have strengths and weaknesses, and certain types of crashes are gonna affect each differently. As a second choice I like Chevy, based on real life experiences.
    "As far as the Tundra is concerned, my guess is that it runs cast pistons"

I'm glad that we put all of this forged piston foolishness to rest:

The only problem is that Ndahl will come back and STILL claim it is forged. Oh well!
    A picture!!! That is all you can come up with!!! Where doe it say that this is a picture of a CAST piston? How do you know that this is a picture of a CAST piston?

I saw these pics on Tundra Solutions. They belong to Dude Boy and even he could not tell is they are cast or forged.

Listen little boy, you need work on your verification skills. LMAO
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Take a look at the picture. See the seam? That is a cast piston.
    -Eric
    "The only problem is that Ndahl will come back and STILL claim it is forged. Oh well!"

So sad. AK - I mean NDAHL You are completely unable to admit when you are wrong. If you cannot see the casting marks inside the picture of the piston - you should not be posting about pistons.

AKDAHL:

"I saw these pics on Tundra Solutions. They belong to Dude Boy and even he could not tell is they are cast or forged"

Actually this is from a post Dude Boy made a year ago:

"Toyota says it's because of "hypereutectic" pistons. "
    Only a moron would tow something on ice. Especially, up to the limits of the truck. You would have to have rocks in your head.
    That's very true....

"You would have to have rocks in your head."

Then again...it could be nothing in the head....
    MOd: First off I never said snow. And due to your contrasting beliefs that a 4x2 will perform better in these conditions then a 4x4 you need work.

F1:In Alaska everyone tows in any condition. Alaska is not a regular state as it would be in your mind. Just speaking freely if you had a 4x2 in Alaska it would be a waste of your money and you should have bought the Honda.

So the way I see your comments everyone in Alaska should have a 4x2 Tundra,ford, etc cause according to two guys on an Edmunds review board there 4x2 will be better on Slick or Ice and snow covered surfaces. Take a look you can't even mount a snowplow on the front of a Tundra!!!
    Go to this thread. I have been asking the question about cast vs. forged pistons on the Tundra and no one can give an answer even with the damned pictures. Please read beofre you snatch a pic off a board. Dude boy posted the pics and he did not once claim that the pistons are Cast.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8390

Dude, you have to be the most dense human being on this board. When have I said, "a 4X2 will perform better in these conditions then(sic) a 4X4"

I told you I could care less about your scenario.

The bottom line is you wrongly said that a 4WD is rated higher than a 2WD for towing. You added the slick conditions later after being proven wrong.

YOU even posted towing figures that proved you were wrong.

I'm sure there are no separate towing figures for slick conditions.

Look, you've made some stupid statements. The GM antifreeze ruining the rings causing a knock had me rolling. Your polished pistons or forged pistons adding horsepower was another joke. And the fact you won't admit the RATINGS are higher for a 2WD for towing is starting to make you look, well, foolish.

Of course you need 4WD in AK. Of course I'd rather tow in a snow storm with 4WD but the bottom line is the RATINGS give a 2WD more towing ability. PERIOD

Now this is a question that I honestly don't know. Other than the auto trac, can you even tow on the highway at higher speeds in 4WD. I would worry about binding if it was a standard system that didn't have the traction sensing abilities of an auto system(which I believe AK said he didn't have the auto trac)

So to sum it up(for the ??? time)

A 2WD is rated higher for towing than a 4WD all else being equal. A 4WD OBVIOUSLY will be safer during slick conditions, towing or not. Ak, if you'll just repeat this 10X's I think you may get it.
    You're soooo confused now, you don't know if you're coming or going.

Hyper pistons are CAST not forged.

Why do keep making the statement hypereutectic are forged???
    --------------------------------------------------
    Why are you asking these ????

1. Are all hypereutectic pistons forged? (no, silly. none of them are)Can you have hypereutectic pistons that are cast? (Duhhh, all of them are)

2. The author seems to suggest that hypereutectic forged piston....(author said no such thing because there is no such thing)

actually have less thermal expansion than cast pistons. this means that you can run cylinders with less tolerances. This is the complete opposite of what is being said on this board. Here is a quote:

"Most hypereutectic pistons also undergo less thermal expansion than conventional cast pistons which means they can be installed with somewhat tighter tolerances than conventional pistons to improve cold sealing and reduce blow-by. Closer tolerances also allow quieter operation because piston rattle is reduced."

To his credit he does say MOST. Does that mean that the Tundra has forged hypereutectic pistons(no, the tundra does not have FORGED hyper pistons, thereis no such thing)

that undergoes MORE thermal expansion than other similar pistons?

Then he adds:

"Some people think that the same thermal characteristics that allow forged pistons to run cooler also causes them to swell more as they heat up. Consequently, there’s a common misconception that forged pistons always require greater skirt-to-wall clearances. This is a notion that isn’t necessarily true because clearances depend on the type of alloy that’s used in a forged piston, the design of the piston itself and the application in which the piston will be used. Some forged alloys actually have a lower coefficient of thermal expansion than the alloys commonly used in conventional cast pistons!"

To me that suggests that if the Tundra is using hypereutectic forged (how many times do I have to tell you they're not using pistons that don't exist)

pistons there should NOT be any piston slap on cold start up since these types of pistons resist thermal expansion and allow you to run tighter tolerances.

But at the begining of the article he says:

"Piston rattle or slap when an engine is cold indicates too much clearance between pistons and cylinders. This may be due to excessive assembly tolerances or worn cylinders. Some forged pistons have a higher rate of thermal expansion than cast pistons, and may require slightly greater cold clearances to compensate. This, in turn, may produce some unwanted piston noise when a cold engine is first started, but it has no effect on piston performance, durability or longevity."

The aonly way I can reconcile all the contradictions in the article is to believe that there are TWO types of forged hypereutectic( No, dimwit there are many types of CAST pistons with hyper being one of them)

pistons; the ones that expand more when they heat up and the ones that expand less when they heat up. Am I correct?(HELL NO)

If that is the case it seems that the Tundra uses the forged hyper pistons(aghhhh, That would still be NO!!!)

that expand and that means bigger cylinder to piston tolerances are needed when the engine is cold.

Please make this clearer for me. I really want to learn more about this. (You sure do need to learn more. How to read an article would help)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-06-2002 04:16 AM
    Many late model engines today are factory-equipped with hypereutectic pistons. You’ll find them in Ford’s 3.0L V6, Ford’s 4.6L V8 and the 1.9L Escort engine, the General Motors 2.3L Quad 4 and the 2.5L "Tech 4" (formerly known as the "Iron Duke"). You’ll also find them in many late model Japanese engines.
This discussion has been closed.