Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Problems

Comments

• capt2capt2 Member Posts: 57
    Have you done anything to yours to effect mileage? Any mods at all. Are you 6 or 8 cyl?
  • losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    Guys it was never my intention to single anyone out in particular in any of my statements. I like to use these boards for what they're worth, which for me is knowledge and experiences. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who can share either or both of those is always welcome with their thoughts. I think there may be a small few who have other motives in mind, but as long as nothing turns personal and we can stay within reason of topic, then no harm.

Bama ... I admire your loyalty to your truck. I share many of the same feelings. The big difference for me though is the quality and reliability Toyota has consistently shown. I looked over the NHTSA board again the other day, and I just absolutely could not believe all the Rado complaints of late 90s-01 years. Now this is where the domestic guys remind me that theres 4 times more Rados on road than Tundra's which is true and I'm fine with that. Yet I dont care if there were 100 times more Rado's, the documented complaints are without a doubt unacceptable, in terms of quality.

Shoot I haven't even made it to the See-Error section yet. The overall quality of the GM interiors is sub-par at best ya know. That doesn't mean all of them are, but a good portion are, which doesn't seem to be in proportion with other auto makers. In addition, there have actually been quite a few people injured in Rado's/See-Errors due to defects/poor designs. I'll take the cold knock on a Tundra anyday, which probably isn't going to injury me anytime soon.

Bamm I'm chompin at the bit to get into a Tundra. My Ranger is hangin in there like a trooper, but just isn't big enough and not my idea of the kinna truck I want.

One last thought ... I believe Toyota in making the Tundra a little smaller and different than the domestics, did so to target a different crowd. I don't believe they were targeting the hard working ranch hands or heavy machinery guys. The truck is definitely a blessing for some of us guys in huge crammed cities. Not fun driving a land yacht in downtown L.A. .

In the same token however, I dont think it's fair to say that it outperforms all the other 1/2 tons. The Tundra wasn't designed with brute performance solely in mind. Given it's ratings, I feel it's certainly possible to be running at the top, but I believe deeming it superior to all is slightly inaccurate. As long as we all remember that no one truck will do everything best, we leave the door open for a more constructive discussion.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Well said. I think that anyone who posts accurate information relevant to the topic should be welcome. When people start posting misinformation or start bragging about their Big2 trucks in this topic, well - I think that is another matter.

In the Toyota 3/4 ton topic some ill-informed Big2 owners were posting misinformation about Tundra valve adjustments. When confronted, one of them fabricated a quote from a Tundra manual. This type of behavior is reprehensible to me.

I know the Tundra is not the perfect truck for everyone, just the best all around 1/2 ton truck. There are some Big2 loyalists which will never listen to reason - that is OK by me.
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    Believe me, you did not have to tell us "I haven't called anyone sir my entire life." Some folks, especially those from the South, and those with a little grey in their hair, use the term "sir" and "Mr." to show respect. Others, learned to use the terms while serving our country to protect our freedoms. (Thank you all very much). Still others learned to use these titles while serving as policemen, or firemen. Others learned them from their mothers and fathers who cared enough to teach their children good manners and respect for their elders and people in positions of authority. It is a shame that all of us do not show the civility to each other that Mr. "urkillingme" has shown in his brief time on these boards. To mock him as having "feelings of inadequacy" based on his use of these terms only shows how inadequate YOU are.
    Tom
  • urkillingmeurkillingme Member Posts: 22
    Thank you for the kind, insightful post. I proudly fit into at least two of the categories listed.

I do respectfully ask you not to be too hard on the Toyota owner. The one with the harsh tongue and obvious "mad at the world" attitude. Something terrible has happened in this person's life for him to lash out at everyone and to always have to be right.

I've noticed certain cliques here on Edmunds, I see that one particular poster is even shunned by fellow Toyota owners. I'm sure if we all just humor this poster he will come around and learn to be civil.

Again, thank you.
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    I doubt it.
    I've been away from the shop a few years now and haven't been able to work on any Tundra's. What was the final verdict on valve adjustments. I'd hate to think that someone such as yourself who owns one and has looked in a manual wouldn't know the truth. I remember a few other posters who were non Tundra owners, saying that they needed to be shimmed and so on, is this right ???
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    The Toymota I-Farce V8 uses shims under buckets. The "final verdict" is that setting the valve clearance is so difficult, most engines will never get this service until after the valves are already leaking, or the engine frags when the timing belt brakes. YES...the 4.7L is an INTERFERENCE engine that self destructs along with the rubber bands that hold it together.

Proof? http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=981&location_id=540

Download the timing belt replacement guide, Adobe Acrobat document. Look up the Tundra, see the asterisk * next the the 4.7L denoting interference design.

Please don't let this deter you. Toymota lovers LIKE high maintenance. Look at what they go through with high brake maintenance, complicated oil changes, ridiculous driveshaft spline lubrication procedures, "lug centric" wheel balancing etc. I'd rather be driving. The toy habit will keep a smile on the face of an eager do-it-yourselfer like you! Who could ask for anything more?
    I guess the Chebby owners are right - Wait a minute!

The Chebby owners say that the Toyota Tundra has shims under buckets and that the cams have to be removed.

I am not surprised that the Chebby owners have this wrong. The Tundra comes with two different engines, one is shims over buckets and one is shims under buckets. One requires camshaft removal, and one does not.

I will leave it to the Chebby Tundra experts to tell us the WHOLE TRUTH. Geez - This is like pulling teeth!
    I am sorry if I offended a certain Ford owner's delicate feelings. I am glad that he/she is not representative of all Ford owners.

I think that if the nameless Ford owner would just stop whining and post correct information relevant to the topic, all would be well.
    You mean I have to change my Tundra timing belt at 90,000 mi and then drive it for another 90,000 miles! When I reach 180,000 miles I will look around and see how many '00 Chebbies I see, - They may be collector's items since virtually all of them will be junked by then.

D'ya think that Chebbies will still be running the original timing chain (or anything else)? Flappy traded off his Lemonado in less than two years - did he make it to 180,000 miles? - You be the judge.
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    The fact that the Tundra has a timing belt instead of a chain is no big deal. The big problem is the 4.7L is an interference engine - which means if the belt breaks the pistons and valves get to know meet each other - up close and personal. The result is turnig a $500 timing belt replacement into a $4-5,000 engine rebuild.

I would not feel good putting 90K on a belt that is so vital to the health of my engine.
    I replaced a timing belt on my '87 Acura Integra(an interference engine) at 80,000 miles. The belt I took off looked like new. I honestly think that I could have adjusted the tension on the original belt and drove it another 80,000 miles.

A relative of mine had his GM's timing chain jump. It bent all of his pushrods, and the valves also. Is this superior design?

Geez - does this means that the GM is an "interference" engine? Oh, Well!
  • urkillingmeurkillingme Member Posts: 22
    I'm very pleased that a certain Toyota owner has at least finally admitted that there is an adjustment and it requires shims. We are making progress.

I am curious on how one would "adjust" timing belt tensioners. The only two I've seen are spring loaded or hydraulic loaded. I'm always willing to learn new techniques.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    All the Chevy boys in the Tundra threads whining just like their transmissions!

What they conveniently neglect to mention here is the difference between SCHEDULED and UNSCHEDULED maintenance. And this is where the See-Error/Lemonado both take a good kick straight to the nads by every reputable automotive publication such as CR, NHTSA or Edmunds.

CR and NHTSA both have basically "blackballed" these trucks due of their horrific unscheduled maintenance history because they're so problematic. At just 36K miles, Edmunds' long-term Sierra had amassed TWICE as many problems as ANY vehicle they ever tested - problems that included clunking transmissions, leaking transfer cases, seriously malfunctioning brakes, shaking steering columns and self-destructing interiors.

Seems like a 36K mile Chebby probably sees more maintenance than a 180K mile Tundra!
    Spama calls me a liar, and now admits I'm not telling the "whole" truth. ROF!

He constantly cites the woes of his relatives who didn't follow his advice and instead bought Chevies, passing on his toymota 3/8 pint "work" ethic.

If I recall, (and my memory is better than his) Bama's brother bought a used tindra but he never posts here, or if he does won't admit Bama is related. His father-in-law owns the Chebbie. He must be ashamed of his daughter for this one. I can't imagine the Hatfields and McCoys sharing a conversation at the dinner table.
    FYI, definition of maintenance:

Unscheduled -> You don't need it.

Scheduled -> You DO need it.

Simple as that.
    "Unscheduled -> You don't need it."

Why don't you go tell everybody with their problematic Chevys that they "don't need" to get them fixed.

Simple as that.
  • twowheelertwowheeler Member Posts: 89
    http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us129734.htm

I found this article on timing belts and chains. Seems pretty good. Both designs have their pluses and minuses. Looks like Chevy's 3.4L uses timing belts too. The article suggests most timing chains will go up to 100k or more, but not always. Just a guess, but I would think the cost of changing a timing belt is less expensive than changing out a timing chain/sprockets. What do you think?

• scrottscrott Member Posts: 1
    As far as shim under or over bucket, you need to check the clearance of the valve lash. This does not require taking off any cams. If the valve lash is within specs, then you can just put the cam covers back on.

Most fast motorcycles have this type of lash adjustment, it is the price you pay for performance out of smaller motors. Adjusting the lash if over bucket, would require you to just push down the bucket, and pop out the shim, and replace with the correct one (shim over bucket motors can spit shims at high RPM). If it is shim underbucket, you remove the cams, then replace the shims, and then install the cams (better design for performance).

As far as pushrod motors.. well, lets see.. how about high valve train wieght resulting in either stronger springs and more friction or floating bending valves at high RPM. Most of the Chevys have 2 valves per cylinder.. high valve wieght, compared to the superior 4 valve design of the tundra. If you dont beleive it, look at the new I-6, overhead cams.. no pushrods, and 4 valves per cyl.

Its about time that a truck, made in america, had variable valve timing, dual overhead cams, 4 valves per cyl, and can be supercharged at the dealer with no detriment to the warranty, not to mention that it makes 240+ horses stock, with great torque curve, and makes 325+ horses blown, with the same great torque curve.

Its O.K., I understand your love for 45 year old engine designs, but I prefer ford flatheads in my old stuff. No pushrods, no bent valves on over revs, and a sound that the chevy can never make.

Scotty
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Stop with the name calling and personal fight here.

This is WAY beyond old and needs to stop.

Stop using these topics to try and prove that your truck is better or the other guy's truck is worse.

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• weasleweasle Member Posts: 24
    Tundra SR5 V8 2wd, Line-X, Roll Top (no mileage increase), light foot (well, most of the time), no engine mods at all. The 50 mile commute on rural roads helps alot, and I try to spend as little time in the city as possible.
  • drgodrgo Member Posts: 13
    I stumbled on this site a week ago and have been very grateful for the advice and entertainment. I've been driving a Toyota 92 pickup extra cab, 4 cyl, 2wd, with ABS. It's got 152K miles with minimal problems. I would like to put another 150k miles on it but it is now time for a bigger truck with airbags. I've mainly used my truck as a commuter car which has plenty of room for my surfboards and snowboard for the trips to the beach and occassional mountain. While it would have been nice to have 4wd and V6 on a couple of occasions these last 10 years, the 4 cyl has worked out just fine. I do enjoy the better gas mileage and reasonable speed, i.e stay out of trouble.

While a Tundra SR5, V8, access cab, 4wd, ABS, will be very nice, I'm wondering if I will really need it for the kind of use that I will be needing. I don't plan to do much towing (now or in the future) and am wondering if the 4wd is really needed for the occasional dirt/snow road or will the LSD do. Then again, the extra power (but worst gas mileage) and 4wd will be more reassuring when I do go skiing or am somewhere on a Mexican dirt road in Baja on a surf trip. All this would be much cheaper and more convenient than a fancy SUV that my wife tells me to get. (We could actually afford either or both.) What are your thoughts/advice before I go see the dealer for that test drive? V6, 2 WD with LSD and ABS, or V8, 4wd, with ABS? Aside from gas mileage, won't the 4 WD cost more to maintain down the road?

Bama, LAemt, Ndahi, plutonius, Arkie, et al, you guys have been great. It has, however, gotten quite annoying and incredibly old with the other nonTundra dudes. They should just go elsewhere.

Thanks for any advice that you can spare me.

Craig
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    More advice from A Silverado owner. You shouldn't limit who can post, if you listen you can learn a lot. Believe it or not, there is some truth in many of these post, some just over emphasized.

Last time I went to buy a Toyota Tundra I could not find a base model with ABS. Toyota seems to think that only the guys that spend 25k should get it. Do you have 4 wheel ABS on your 92? I was not able to get it on my 90 Toyota 4x4 truck.

I think that all V-8 Tundras have timing chains, all V-6s have belts. I know GM uses roller lifters, does the Tundra?

As far a OHC and push rods, typical OHC have more power at higher RPMs and push rods have more torque at lower RPMs, not sure why this is. Say what you want about GMs engines, but most people that drive them love them, and they usually are the favorite of ANY comparison.
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Understand what you mean about the belt looking good at 80K - I put 60K on a timing belt - looked like new, but since I had already paid to have the motor torn apart the $35 cost of the belt was minor. The problem I had was not the belt but the tensioner - it was not replaced when when new belt installed - at about 90K it spit bearings and the result was the same as a broken belt. I was lucky, mine went out while I was at a stop sign. No internal damage.

I have no problem with belt or chain, both work fine.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    what does all this discussion about belts vs. chains and shims vs. hydraulic lifters has to do with TOYOTA TUNDRA PROBLEMS. I have not read one post from a Tundra owner compalining about the timing belt on his truck or the shim adjustment. so why are the chev guys creating such a fuss!!!

I beg the chevy/ford guys not to post in this thread unless they are trying to help a TUNDRA owner solve his/her problem.

You do not find me or bama (to my knowledge) posting in your chevy rado engine knock threads. We had an agreement to satyu away from each other's threads. Please honor your part of the bargain.
    >I think that someone who posts a half truth is either ill-informed or a liar. Sorry, Flappy.<

Isn't that what you do? Now wait...you were demanding that Kip (kg11) prove to you where he got his information about valve shims, when no proof was needed. Sorry Spama, your spots are showing.

If someone tells you the Earth is round, do they have to prove THAT to you? Pathetic!

Just a reminder that our Town Hall chat happens on Wednesday (5-7pm Pacific/8-10 pm Eastern). This week, our topic will be:

Import Trucks: Can they compete with domestics?

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/newsviews.html

PF Flyer

Host

"what does all this discussion about belts vs. chains and shims vs. hydraulic lifters has to do with TOYOTA TUNDRA PROBLEMS...why are the chev guys creating such a fuss!!!"

I think threads like this one (Toyota Tundra Problems) suffer from a severe lack of subject content, forcing some people to post nonsense just to keep the discussion going. But you have to give credit where credit is due. I do commend the Chevy boys for conducting excellent discussions regarding Chevies and their problems. Seems like those threads are overwhelmed with never-ending subject content.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Hey dude...Remember Pluto and LA emt
    DO NOT OWN A TUNDRA !
    SO tAKE their advise carefully !
    Me sure i own a Chevy now but have owned
    2 toyotas too............Geo
    I'm not gonna speak on behalf of a Tundra owner because I don't own one lol. I might wait until the 03s are out but not sure yet. I can only speak from my experience in the shop rebuilding engines for many years. The import engines for the most part were cleaner looking and usually structurally sound upon tear down. Even the 150K + stuff looked great. With that and further experiences, I concluded that I was going to get the best reliability and good quality from a Toyota, with Nissan and Honda trailing close.

I however have a 120 mile commute to work round trip and really didn't need the V-8, so was looking at a ext. cab V6. I have nothing to tow ... YET, and I do light construction work on the side so the V6 Tundra made sense. Liked the Tacoma but wanted four doors and didn't like that new doublecab thing they pitched out.

Theres 4 other guys at work with Tundra's and none of them have had any significant problems at all. My old partner had a 01 Sierra which broke down too many times for his liking and I believe he was doing the lemon thing with it. Couple of F150 guys there with no problems and a Ram owner who's happy.

I defer any comments of performance and so on to Bama/Wheeler/Ndahi/Arkie and others who have used their trucks for a while, and in different capacities. I dont think you'll go wrong with any model of Toyota. I see your current one has fared well, so good luck in the future.

BTW - Carsdirect.com has been known to offer some pretty low prices on Toy trucks. I struck a deal with them that was 1200 less than the best dealer price around here in L.A. . Their dealer invoice price seems to be even lower than some of the dealerships state, so it might be worth a look.
    Wisdom? As a former toyota owner and
    a current GM owner. As they say "once
    bitten twice shy". Just my opinion but
    I guess that and $1.00 will buy ya A cup
    of coffee !...................Geo
    I was just wondering - what useful information have you ever added to this topic? It seems that you are just trying to stir things up. If so, could you please do it in another topic? Thanks.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    "I was just wondering - what useful information have you ever added to this topic? It seems that you are just trying to stir things up. If so, could you please do it in another topic? Thanks."

Perhaps you should practice what you preach!
    I'm trying to remember - what did Jag post to this topic that is useful. Wow! Jag didn't post anything? Oh, well!
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    I just post facts. Like the fact that all you like to do is stir up trouble. How old are we again Bama?

Hmmmm 16 perhaps. That is how old you act. You should try growing up like the rest of us. You know wife, kids, family, jobs.. Quit listening to Blink 182 and praising your Toy truck and dissing the Rados.. It does not do anything but make you look like more of a jerk than you already are....

I have no comments on the Tundras. I do not own one, you do. Therefore why dont you post something constructive, instead of starting things in other topics NOT related to your truck. I just stopped in to give you a taste of your own medicine. Do you like it? Obviously not.... You will not see me back here, I will stick to the Rado topics.

You know where to find me......

Jag
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    ROTFLMAO!!
    Tom
    If people want to persist in this personal spitting contest, they are going to find themselves on the outside looking in at what's going on here.

Time to drop this NONSENSE and grow up a bit boys.

PF Flyer

Host

thread with its drivel speaks for itself. There are very few significant Tundra problems to be discussed - lack of subject content. Thanks goes to those (you know who you are) for driving this point home!

If reading about REAL truck problems is your thing, you will enjoy the numerous Chevy problems threads.
    www.tundrasolutions.com
    Quite A few unhappy owners over there.
    Cold start knock, brake probs,...etc.
    Read what REAL tundra owners have to
    say. Not BS from certian non Tundra
    owners......................
    http://www.gmpistonslap.cjb.net/

http://agmlemon.freeservers.com/

Again, if you enjoy reading about REAL truck problems, nothing satisfies like GM!
  • kcowboykcowboy Member Posts: 33
    Why do so many non Tundra owners post here, when there is so many problems on their chevy lemon site that need to be discussed and dealt with. I mean the General Maintenance Curse (GMC)problems they have is amazing!. But yet they want to post in a site where there is no problems except the ones they create and also about a vehicle they don't even own. I think the problem deep down is they realized they bought junk in a make thats known to have all kinds of problems... I think they know that nameplate buying just don't cut it, and that you have to buy products that will hold up. Not on image because its the cool thing to do. I guess you can call it ENVY or JEALOUSY.
    Remember I have owned 2 toyotas !
    I can be the first to tell ya about
    rust, headgaskets poppin, and at the time
    my 1 year 12k mile toyota warranty !
    ask a few of these know it alls postin
    here IF they even own a tundra aka pluto,
    laemt etc HECK even ME ! How about some
    of the toy fellas postin on the GM threads !
    OH well nice day in Alex Bay NY..77 degrees
    now. Time to go fishin !...........Geo
    The fact of the matter is !
    for every Toyota lemon made,
    there are 20 GM lemons made!
    Assuming you're being truthful!
    you were just the unlucky guy
    who got the Toyota lemon! Hey,
    I think that's great! I'm glad
    you were the statistic, not me!
    BLAH BLAH BLAH....is that you
    whining or your transmission?
    Lol ... man what Toyota did you have with a 1 year 12K warranty. Maybe that was before my time lol. Just curious, which vehicles had the rust and head gasket problems ??? Thinking some of their little 2WD pickups had a few probs like that.
    Naysay ...whatever you want.....
    Why do you think toy offers a longer
    warranty now than they did in the laTE
    70S AND EARLY 80 s...............
    now stop and think ! Sorry forgot
    u guys don't own a tundra either !
    ok by me as a former toy owner....geo

BTW fishin was awesome today...I dropped
    off a couple sandwiches and sodas under
    the bridge today...did u guys get em' ?
    Why do u think Toy offers longer warranty
    NOW...instead of the 70s and 80s ?
    1 year 12 k mileage ?
    geee kia had the same probs and now
    offers 10 yr 100k warranty ?

GOOD luck on this one now !
  • kcowboykcowboy Member Posts: 33
    You need to read post #791, that link on GM piston slap is outright embarrassing. I would hate to have paid that much money on something that makes so.... much noise! By the way why can't gm make lights that work, everytime I see one of their trucks there is a light DRL burnt out. Do you thinks its because all the shaking and vibration problems messed up the electrical connections are was it because the mexican workers putting it together took too long of a siesta.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I'm glad you read it. Now you know 50% more than what you did at the beginning of the day. Congratulations!!

As far as mexican workers, I'm not familiar at all with them. My truck was made in Ft. Wayne, Indiana and last time I checked it's no where near Mexico. Best be askin Pluto on that one.

Good luck on this one now!!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    obyone

my truck was born at the same place. My good ole home state
This discussion has been closed.