Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hatchback participants, introduce yourself here!

Comments

• poortingpoorting Member Posts: 4
    Hi! I'm here cause I have an interest in small sporty cars, and like to read what others have to say, and maybe put in my 2 cents. I'm 26 and have had quite a few cars in my life. Here's a breakdown:

82.5 Firebird - 4 cylinder which eventually locked-up
    87 Sentra 2dr - nice car, but crashed it my first month (not my fault)
    82 Celica 5sp - awesome, awesome car, if you don't mind the rust
    91 Corolla - lots of miles, but ran well (I missed my Celica)
    99 Civic EX 5sp - Got me around, liked VTEC, but wanted something more
    02 RSX-S - Finally something to replace my Celica, I love this car

So if you find me posting with an Acura/Honda bias, don't be supprised.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Hi stephenbeck- Glad to hear this board has been helpful. Good luck and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Hi poorting- Thanks for your introduction. Sounds like you have a lot of insights to share on a number of different vehicles. Also, glad to hear your RSX is serving you well. I look forward to seeing you around Town Hall. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • poortingpoorting Member Posts: 4
    thanks for the warm welcome!
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    I'm new and shopping around. I've been hanging around the Matrix message board last few days.
    Question:
    I posted a note that someone responded to with a query that was off-topic. He said we could take it to email, but my profile email was protected at the time. So was his. I responded to his off-topic question on the message board.

Is this what I should have done? I couldn't see another way to reply to his question. I ended up making my email public too, which if I had my druthers, I'd rather not do.
    and thanks for your concern. Don't worry, a couple off topic messages every now and then is not a problem. Btw, all our email are set to "private" by default, so don't hesitate to let the other participant know that he needs to reset his email option. Also, my advice is to use a separate email address (i.e hotmail/yahoo) that you don't mind making public.

If you want to continue the off topic subject, and you don't want to give out your email, you could also suggest to continue the subject in a more appropriate discussion and perhaps provide a link. Also, feel free to start up a new discussion if necessary.... Hope this is helpful. See you around the Town hall! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • limpyboylimpyboy Member Posts: 26
    Hello all. I've been lurking on some, posting on other boards for a few months and thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm a graphic designer and editor in my mid-30s. I like wagons, small SUVs and I dream about pickups, but refuse to buy one again because of mileage issues.

Among cars I've owned (with some comments):
    1980 Ford Granada (Look at that half-vinyl top! Eeeewwww!
    1986 Nissan Sentra (indestructible powertrain)
    1990 Volkswagen Jeta GLI (My favorite)
    1999 Dodge Durango (bought with my ego, not my brain)

I'm ditching the Durango ASAP and leaning toward the Toyota Matrix.

Edmunds -- and its users -- just flat-out rock! There's no better auto site on the Web.
  • andy632andy632 Member Posts: 5
    Hello. My wife and I are expecting our first child. Consequently, it is time to trade in our 93 Eagle Summit 2 dr for something a little more family friendly. My wife would love to get a SUV, but the budget won't allow for it. It looks like we'll be looking to spend $16 K or less. If anyone has suggestions regarding an appropriate vehicle considering our situation and budget, I would be grateful. So far, the choices appear to be the Elantra GT, Focus ZX5, and the Protege5.
    Hi limpyboy- Thanks for your message. Glad to see you've found your way to our Toyota Matrix discussion. We look forward to hearing about your purchase experience.

Hi andy632- In addition to the "Which 5 door hatchhack", you may also want to check out our and Hyundai Elantra GT vs. Mazda Protege5 and Vibe vs. Matrix vs. PTCruiser vs. Focus ZX5 vs. Protege5 discussions. Also, feel free to start a new topic (i.e Focus ZX5 vs Hyundai Elantra) if you'd like. Good luck with your decision.

I look forward to seeing you both around the Hatchbacks & Station Wagons message boards. Happy shopping!

Revka
    Host
  • someblondeguysomeblondeguy Member Posts: 45
    I joined late last week.

I'm 25, from Ontario Canada.

I am waiting for my Mini Cooper 'S' to arrive. I currently drive a Saturn SC-1 (I'm gonna miss it very much as it's been VERY fun and reliable, not to mention dent and rust resistant). I'm gonna worry sick about the New Mini.

My second choice for a car would have been a 2002 Firebird/Camaro. My third was the Miata.
    We are looking for any woman who has recently bought or driven a hybrid car.
    If you fit this description and care to share your input on the subject, please contact Kristen Gerencher at kgerencher@marketwatch.com or Jeannine Fallon at jfallon@edmunds.com by noon EST Tuesday, March 19. Thanks for your participation.

To someblondeguy- Thanks for your introduction. We look forward to hearing all about your Mini Cooper S when it arrives. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • patkellypatkelly Member Posts: 1
    I'm car stupid, but deliver pizza's with stop, start, night driving. Looking for a cheap car that's reliable, automatic, and will go and go and go and have working air. I drive like a little old lady, so sport and power are not important. I live in old jeans so looks don't matter. A recommended re-builder has an acura integra hatchback 1987 for $2500, says he rebuilt or reconditioned(?) the transmission, and everything in good shape? Any idea?
    Here are a couple other discussions where you should also post (copy/paste) your question: Acura Integra and Used hatchbacks: got any ideas? Good luck.

Revka
    Host
  • wordartistwordartist Member Posts: 6
    Slainte' m'hath!

28, new driver, mother's a former mechanic, looking at getting a '91 323 ...details are over in the Mazda 323 forum.

First time buying a car - a little paranoid about this, but trying to be fair to the dealers.

Help? :)

-Betty-
    (My mother is a mechanic, but apparently I didn't absorb much.)
    and glad to see you've found your way to our ongoing Mazda 323 discussion. For more ideas/feedback, you should also check out our ongoing Used Hatchbacks discussion. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka
    Host
  • chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    I am 22, an engineering student at WPI right now, and driving a 1994 Chevy Lumina which I urgently need to replace. Before this car I had a 1986 Chevrolet Celebrity.
    Currently, these are my options (in order of preference):
    Mini Cooper
    Ford Focus SVT
    Saab 9-3
    Pontiac Vibe
    Acura RSX-S
    Ford Focus ZX-3
    Used Audi A4 1.8T
    I dont think I'll ever be able to decide. Let me know if anybody has any recommendations!

-Patrick
    and thanks for your introduction. Glad you've found your way over to our Mini Cooper discussion. Also, here's another discussion that I think you'd appreciate: Best Hot Hatch - Mini, Civic Si, Celica GT-S, RSX, GTI, Tiburon, SVT.... Good luck with your decision. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • libraryuserlibraryuser Member Posts: 8
    Hello, everyone. I am new here, although I have been following a couple of groups for a few days. I must say that I am impressed with the general tone here; there is a minimum of nastiness and a maximum of helpfulness.

I'm going to be trading in my 1994 Tercel soon because it has no air conditioning. I live in Los Angeles, and now that I've hit 50 (years, not mph) I seem to need a/c. I'll be buying a hatchback, but, like a lot of people here, can't make up my mind between Protege5, Matrix, and Elantra among others.

I do have a question to which I cannot seem to find an answer. Considering price, when is the best time of year to buy a car (in a place that doesn't have much of a winter)?

Thanks for any ideas.
  • poorjuddpoorjudd Member Posts: 32
    OK I'll introduce myself.
    HI , I am Me.
    I don't currently drive a hatch, even though I am very interested in getting a '88 or 89 Mazda 323 GTX, which is a great AWD 2 dr turbo hatchback. I wish someone would make something like it brand new so I wouldn't have to buy a car that old, but I am saving for all the mods that I have planned, and of course for the car itself.
    That is it.
    To libraryuser- "best time of the year to buy."

The answer will vary depending on the make/model and availability. But in my own personal experience, I've usually seen better deals near the end of the year; on the other hand if you wait too long, there may be less of a selection. My 2 cents. Btw, here's an archived Smart Shopper discussion that you may find interesting: best time to purchase a used or new car?. Good luck with your decision.

To poorjudd- Here's a direct link to our ongoing Mazda 323 discussion where you should also copy/paste your message. We also have a new member in there (wordartist) that you may want to share notes with.... Good luck with your decision.

Happy shopping!

Revka
    Host
  • lkrk10lkrk10 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,

I am a current and very proud owner of a 00 Black Ford Focus. I had previously owned a Ranger and with my new move and longer drive. I was forced to find something economical and in my price range. My ZX3 is the most fun, I have had driving in a long time. Being a previous Mustang owner I naturally went for one of them. Due to budget constraints (wife) I was forced to look other wise. I recommend to everyone we meet to drive my Focus or to go out and test drive one for them selves. Although upon getting a raise I will be forced to trade in my ZX3 and buy a ZX5.
    and glad to see you've found your way to our ongoing Ford Focus ZX5 discussion. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • d5tanleyd5tanley Member Posts: 16
    i just bought an acura rsx s-type.

lovin it so far!

-darrell
    and congrats on your new RSX S-Type! Here's a direct link to our ongoing Acura RSX discussion where you can share notes with other owners and enthusiasts. We look forward to hearing about your RSX experience.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • domingos35domingos35 Member Posts: 7
    i own a 2000 FORD FOCUS ZX3 and going to trade it in.
    my favorites
    1-HYUNDAY TIBURON GT V6
    2-FORD FOCUS SVT
    3-MAZDA P5
    4-WRX
    5-PONTIAC VIBE
    6-NISSAN 350Z (ONLY CAUSE I CAN'T AFFORD IT)

What do u guys think?
    thanks

Joe
    Judging by some of the vehicles on your list, you may be interested in our ongoing Best Hot Hatch discussion. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to rewrite your message.

Also, feel free to start up a new discussion on this board if you'd like.... "My favorites - Help me decide" might be an appropriate title to cover all your needs. Good luck with your decision.

Revka
    Host
  • willg1961willg1961 Member Posts: 12
    I picked up my RSX Type S about three weeks ago. I sadly departed with my '90 Integra GS with 208,000 miles which was the best car I ever owned by far. The Type S is fantastic...great handling and pick-up. Also, I love the feel of the seats and the interior. It's a ton of fun and just mature enough looking that my wife gave it the thumbs up. Choosing a new car was tough (I also looked closely at the GTI and WRX), but in the end my thirteen year experience with Acura sealed the deal. The service and care with my Integra were first rate and I can expect the same from the dealer with my RSX.
  • binarybabebinarybabe Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm Laurie and I'm getting rid of my Expedition! It's too expensive to fix and put gas into and our Ford dealer keeps ripping us off!! We just bought a new house and decided we'd rather put money in the house than in the car, so I've downsized my choices and have come up with the following four:

VW Golf TDI (we have a '00 beetle & love it)
    Mazda Protege 5
    Hyundai Elantra GT
    Chrysler PT cruiser

My first choice right now is the VW.

I have 2 kids (ages 7 and 4) and 2 dogs (both Airedales), so there could be the need for up to 6 occupants in the vehicle. If the kids are along, the dogs will need to go in the back by necessity.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Laurie
    Hi willg1961- Sorry, I meant to respond to your message sooner. Congrats on your new RSX! Here's a direct link to our ongoing RSX discussion where you can share notes with other RSX owners and enthusiasts. We look forward to hearing about your RSX experience. ;-)

Hi binanrybabe- Here are a couple discussions that you should check out: VW Golf and Which 5 door Hatchback? Use your copy/paste so you don't have to rewrite your message. Good luck and please keep us posted on your decision. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • carshopper43carshopper43 Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone - I'm doing things out-of-order since I've already posted a message under the saab 9-3 board. I currently drive a '96 Saturn SC2 and am very seriously looking a the 2002 9-3 Saab. Having never gone through the process I want to be sure I'm researching things well. The Saab I'm looking at is a service loaner and I can't figure out what is a fair asking price.
    and thanks for your introduction. Glad to see you found your way to our ongoing Saab discussion. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • angelbellakissangelbellakiss Member Posts: 2
    im new and i am in need of some help:) its about a 93 talon, if ya think you can help please lemme know
    I've just responded to your message in our Eagle Talon discussion. Weekends are sometimes a little slow around here, so give it a day or so for more feedback. Okay? You may also want to check out our Used Hatchbacks discussion. Good luck. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • chaltermanchalterman Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    i am new at this
    I have boought a 96 Wolksvagen Golf and I had the worst of luck Can anybody tell me if it was bad luck or the car really sucks? I really like my car but it brakes down a lot
    and also since I am new how do I find the answer to my posted message among "3000" posted messages? thanks.
    and sorry to hear about your vehicle problems. Here are a couple discussions where you should post (copy/paste) your message: VW Golf and Volkswagen Owners: Care & Maintenance. Also, try using the Board Search (upper/left) to find other VW Golf discussion throughtout Town Hall.

You asked: how do I find the answer to my posted message among "3000" posted messages?

Click on the blue "Mark" buttons at the top of the page, or along side a message, to bookmark a discussion or message. Then go to your Message Center below to find all your book marked discussions. Also, if you are logged in and you return to a discussion you previously visited, you will be at the point in the discussion where you left off. Hope this is helpful. Good luck. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • ashdadashdad Member Posts: 9
    Ho!

I'm new here. About to buy a new hatchback. I was all set to go with a Matrix when I saw an on-line comparison to the Suzuki Aerio SX. I checked it out and was not quite as impressed with the Aerio, but decided to let my 10 year old daughter test ride in both of them. She felt very uncomfortable in the back of the Matrix, so I ordered the Aerio. It seems there are problems with availability of the Aerio SX--complicated by the fact that I hate automatic transmissions with four cylinder engines. So, I am waiting.

I do generally like Suzuki's. The two I have had have been by far the most reliable, lowest maintenance cost cars I have owned--including two Mazdas and one Toyota. So why do they have such horrible resale value?
    and thanks for your introduction. Just curious, did you ask your dealer if he could help you locate one... do a dealer trade? Also, you may want to check out Edmunds' New Vehicle PowerShopper.

Lastly, here's a direct link to our ongoing Suzuki Aerio SX discussion where you can share notes with other owners/shoppers. Might help to pass the time while you're waiting. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    I am a new owner of a Protege5. It is silver, leather, sport automatic, floor mat, and alarm. It is fun and the build quality is very good.
  • idletaskidletask Member Posts: 171
    Yep, I'm a froggie. I'm very fond of cars, actually, and came to edmunds.com by pure chance while websurfing. Actually, I'm very, very impressed by the richness of this site content (what you might not be impressed by is my poor English mastery, though :p).

Just by curiosity, I wanted to know how things were going on the other side of the pond. I'm quite aware of the EU car market, which is very, very different from the US one AFAICS. Right now in EU, the (long-term) trend is towards Diesel powered engines, and I've been surprised to see that VW is experiencing with its TDI engines in the US. Hatchbacks are currently the top sales in EU, behind subcompacts, but their sales are starting to decrease in favor of mini MPVs (such as the Renault Scenic, of EU fame).

Believe me: although their rev counter only goes up to 5k rpm (with in fact a near-to-none responsiveness above 4k), Diesel engines just rock, and VW TDIs in particular. Their torque is that of a powerful gas-powered, non turbocharged V6, or even superior (the 150hp, 1.9l VW TDI scores 244 lbft at 1800rpm) while being more fuel efficient by a factor of 3 or better. Fuel efficiency is all the more important hereabouts that we pay an avg $1 per *litre* of gas (1 US gallon roughly equals to 3.7l, you get the picture), but Diesel fuel is an average 20% cheaper, which make Diesel cars even more appealing despite the heavier initial purchase price. Sure, they don't have the same hp, but hey, hp == torque * rpm. Lower rpm means lower hp, and in fact, the very conception of Diesel engines make this 5k limit the greatest challenge yet to be addressed by car manufacturers, if ever.

For those of you who are looking towards a VW Golf TDI, don't hesitate: buy it. Apart from the great engine and mileage, it also sports a build quality which is far, far superior to even more pricey cars.

I personally own a BMW 330d, not on sale in the US, which scores 183hp and 288 lbft of torque while managing a 37mpg mileage on my typical travels... Passing with such a car is a breeze, even in 5th gear and on a steep hill.

OK, enough self-congratulating :) Anyway, if you're interested in Diesel engines, you can see a post I made in the "What about the VW TDI?" discussion under this same hatchback topic (post #282).

Meanwhile, I'll continue browsing through Edmunds and penetrate myself a little more about US car philosophy :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    Bienvenu, idletask. Votre anglais écrit est très bon, comparé à mon français écrit!

We're glad to have you here, and hope you enjoy reading.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dave6977dave6977 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,I'm Dave J. Thought after all the reading i had done on this site, thought it was only appropriate that i introduce myself. I have some experiences that i would like to share, both bad and good, all good lately.
    and thanks for your introduction. We look forward to hearing about your automotive experiences.... Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • swilson703swilson703 Member Posts: 1
    hello all,

I'm new to this group, and I'm posting this both as a hello and as a help!

how do I search within a discussion group? for example, I go to the Elantra 5 door hatchback group, and there are 2000+ messages. but I don't see any way to search only within those messages.

unless it's because the search function is down (which it is.)

thanks
    steve wilson
    "how do I search within a discussion group?"

At this time, we don't have the capability to search for information within an individual discussion at Town Hall. You can search by discussion title/topic by using our Search feature on the left side of the page.

If you're looking for something specific, your best bet is to post a message at the end of the discussion. One of the regulars members may be able to direct you to a specific post... or answer your question.

Also, in some of our busier discussion, don't hesitate to post again if you feel your message has been overlooked. Good luck, and thanks for your participation at Town Hall.

Revka

Host

• scruchee1scruchee1 Member Posts: 2
    Just to let you guys know, my wife and I traded our 00' Nissan Quest for two SX's. Mine is a red 5 spd. while her's is a silver auto. We bought them because of prior experiance with Suzuki, in that we had a 86' Chev. Sprint 3 banger to pull behind our motorhome and I drove it back and forth to work daily. At 250k miles, the clutch gave up, and after discussing what to get, well the rest is history. Yes, it needs more suspension, arm rests and storage space, but what a ball to drive!!!! Also had same popping noise in front end.... found loose sway bar mount on rt. side. Fixed myself in 5 min. and off to the street races we went. Keep'em shiny and drive like hell[within legal limits of course,hee hee].
    and thanks for your introduction. Also, congrats on your new Aerio Sx's. Feel free to also join us our ongoing Suzuki Aerio SX discussion where you can share notes with other owners and enthusiasts.... I look forward to seeing you around Town Hall. Happy posting!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• scruchee1scruchee1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Revka........... Thanks for the welcome. I guess I'll be able to see the best and worst of both sides of the fence with an auto. and a 5 spd. So far we love them and are very pleased with our purchases. I have a background with Porsche in that I retired from them with 20+ yrs. as a unit tech {engine and trans. builder}. I'll try not to pick them apart too much, but I guess its just a natural curiosity on my part. The first thing I'd like to see is a heavier suspension with a V6 around the 215-225hp range. Believe me when I say, this little ride has a world of potential!!! Thanks.....see ya' later.
  • tigirl713tigirl713 Member Posts: 3
    I'm just a girl researching cars so that when I decide to buy my first car (hopefully in Fall 2004), I'll be a well informed buyer. In between procrastinating on the web, I attend college in hopes of earning a bachelors degree in Early Childhood Education/English. Right now, I commute by public transportation and my own feet because I don't own a car.

I decided to visit this website because I found the Edmunds book very helpful and figured the site would have more pictures and up to date information than the book. Hatchbacks seem more practical because they offer more cargo space than sedans and coupes. I came to that conclusion when I had to maneuver a 20" tv into my mom's sedan somehow. I was determined to bring the tv one way or another and refused to wait till my brother could come up with it (he drove an Isuzu Amigo).

TTYL, College Commuter
    and thanks for your message. Good luck with your decision. I look forward to seeing you around Town Hall. Happy shopping!

Revka

Host

Whatever you celebrate, may this season be filled with much happiness and joy! ;-)

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
    Hi Everyone - Did you purchase a new vehicle recently? We look forward to hearing about your experience in one of our new Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussions.

Also, if you scroll through the list of Hatchback discussions here, you'll notice that many of these pricing discussions are also linked back to this message board.

Try using the open search box on the left side of the page to see if there's a "prices paid" discussion for the vehicle you are interested in. ;-)

Revka
    Host