Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab Hatchbacks

marc25marc25 Member Posts: 6
Please advise me as to the bug up Saab Financial's -ss. They are busting my *0(=? though I'm pulling six figures.
Tagged:

Comments

• bananas1bananas1 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks carlady. I was beginning to wonder how this works. As the current owner of a '97 Saab 900S, I am lukewarm to the experience, although it's a blast to drive. So far, I have repeatedly had to take it in for the same problem --- "check engine" and "check gear box" indicator lights keep coming on. The manual gives these ominous warnings, so I take it in immediately. Now that I live in the city, I need a car I don't have to think about. Can anyone tell me whether the quality/reliability has improved on the Saab 9-3, because I am thinking about a trade-in, possibly returning to Honda or Acura? Advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.

bananas1
  • jtolljtoll Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in knowing the gas mileage of a 9-3 5 speed used for highway driving? Also, do you use regular or premium gas?
  • jycejyce Member Posts: 1
    I found 99 9-3 that had been taken back by the bank selling for used car price. Very good deal I think. My question is about the reliability of the car. Even Edmunds says, "spotty quality build" plus I have heard the horror stories from older Saabs. Can anyone re-assure me that I won't end up on the side of the road or paying big bucks later on. How much is average yearly service?
  • FREDERICKFREDERICK Member Posts: 228
    Marc-

I don't know where you live but I suspect that you live in the North East and that some salesman/manager at the particular dealer your dealing with has some kind of bug up their *** against you. I highly doubt Saab Financing, which in our area is Chase, even has the slightest idea what that dealer is up to.

I'd even bet that this particular dealer is just doing this to tweak you and they're lying through there teeth about your credit worthiness as far as Saab USA is concerned. I wouldn't believe the B.S. coming out of their mouths for a second.

I certainly would feel the same way as you had we been treated similarly by our dealer here in L.A. I too would have raised hell but I'd never buy a car from that dealer knowing that I have at least three other dealers in my area I could take my business to. Hell, I'd even drive to to the other end of the state to buy a car from someone else if the same thing had happened to me.

Come on Marc you know that these guys are probably just a bunch of hucksters who are having a ball over your response to this situation. Raise hell but go get your HOT 9-3 somewhere else. I guarantee Saab USA doesn't have a clue as to what these jokers are up to.
  • dwymandwyman Member Posts: 1
    In response to jtoll, mileage so far on my new 9-3 5 sp. is surprising high--nearly 26 miles per gallon in combined city-highway driving. This is for the first tank of gas and I can only assume that mileage will improve.
  • rfellmanrfellman Member Posts: 109
    usually it is exacerbated by uneven or low front tire PSIs. Try adding some air after checking the PSIs. I curbed my tire and developed a leaky stem. You might want to keep a eye on your PSIs if the problem continues or have the tire schecked for uneven wear or bad tread, or a loose belt. If the alignment is OK, its the tires. Trust me, I took the car in and until I altered the PSIs I thought I was crazy.
  • mjg17mjg17 Member Posts: 1
    I received a call from a dealer advising that SAAB is offering a $3500 cash incentive on 1999 models on Oct. 1. They say that the $1000 loyalty incentive is being replaced with the new program. Obviously it is only on 1999 models. Any one have any comments as i am seriously considering a SAAB purchase. I live in the northeast, and they will take the 3500 off the invoice price, and sell for under $28000. Any strong negative comments on the 9-3 SE auto? Thanks, Mike
    Great car but the OEM tire tread will need to be replaced with 16" snow tires in the NE. the 185 HP engine delivers plenty of performace.
  • jonahdark1jonahdark1 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 9-3SE (HOT). I use only premium (93+)gas in it as specified by the manual. I have been averaging 22.5 MPG according to the computer in the car. On a related side note the Saab has a huge gas tank 19 gal... so I seem to need to fill up every 400 miles or so. Cheers, JD1.
  • vinmartvinmart Member Posts: 1
    I recently put a deposit on a S40...its on order now however, I keep coming back to the 9-3. The interior on the S40 seems better equipped and seats are more comfortable but engine noise is definitely louder than the 9-3. Small complaint on Saab - is there is no center arm rest; anything on the after market to install?? Anyone have any comments to add as a comparison??
  • gg16gg16 Member Posts: 1
    This is my first visit to Town Hall and I feel well educated already!
    I have a couple of questions that, depending on the answers, will help me make a final decision on buying a '99 Saab 9-3. My dealer has located a car that almost fits my request (I wanted leather interior, but he can only find cloth). I'm willing to go for it because the offer was so good. Here's the deal - last week I was told that, beginning Oct.1, Saab was offering an incentive to get the '99s off the lots. My dealer offered me the 3 door 9-3, with sunroof, heated seats and in-dash CD for $24,600! After locating the car for me, he told me my final cost would be $25,500 (this included a $189 registry/insurance/etc. fee). I know this is still a good deal, but when I asked why the price jumped $900, I was first told that it was because of the options (sunroof, heated seats, CD) and then because he had to charge me for going to get the car from the other dealership (which is located in another state). Does this sound legit?
    Also, I'm basically in a position where I'm buying the car "sight unseen." When I asked if my purchase would be based on my approval at delivery, I was told that the car was being purchased from the other dealership specifically for me and that I would indeed have to take delivery whether I liked what I saw or not. Again, is this legit? Thanks.
  • maynardf1maynardf1 Member Posts: 127
    Was the $24,600 price quoted with the same options as the $25,500 model? Or is the entire $900 being blamed on transporting the car across state.
    You shouldn't pay anything more because they have to get the car. And they shouldn't be driving it there, either. It should be shipped. Ask them why you are paying the hefty transporation charge, if not to pay for the car to get to their showroom.
    Furthermore, you absolutely should be able to walk away from the deal once the car arrives. They're asking you to sign for something you haven't seen? No way.
    Good luck.
    Saab 9-3's come with in dash CD and heated seats standard. The sunroof is a $1000 option. You probably being offered only cloth seats because that is all this dealer has or because its near the end of the year and that is mostly all that is left. Believe it or not a lot of people complained about how slippery their leather seats were with exuberant driving. I had cloth seats and they were very comfortable and grippy and not near as hot in the summer.

I suspect this dealer/sales person your talking with is not being completely forthright with you and personally I'd take my business else where if you can. I went to three Saab dealers in my area and found exactly the car I wanted at one dealer even though the two others offered to do the we'll search and bring the car here for you for about $500. Turned out that the exact car I wanted was only 45 minutes away from the other two dealerships.

There is no way in @#*^ I'd sign on the line for a car that I didn't completely check out before hand. They're obviously reluctant to bring in a car at the end of the year run but that is their risk not yours.

I deeply recommend you use the pricing resource guied provided here at the Edmunds to carefully price all options on any car a dealer offers.
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    Local Suburu dealer has used 1999 Saab 9-3 auto w/ 9k miles for just under $20k. That sounds pretty cheap even for a base 9-3. Any comments? I'm seriously thinking of checking it out. Talk about rapid depreciation.
    That may be the Saab I tossed out in the desert. I mean I totalled our 99 9-3 w/ only 7K on it and numerious people have told me "oh yeh they'll rebuild it." A bargain on a rather new 9-3 is mostly likely to be a "bargain" on a 9-3.
    Good advice. The old adage "you get what you pay for" is certainly true. I'll walk carefully.
  • peter41peter41 Member Posts: 15
    Here's a question I would appreciate input on:

I can buy a new golf/GTI, or for about the same
    price (or even less) buy a two year old BMW 318ti
    or Saab 900. Obvious similarities are the
    hatchback and European engineering. Has anyone
    driven all three of these and therefore have
    real-world driving experience? Thanks.
  • jaws8jaws8 Member Posts: 2
    In August of 1999 I leased a base 9-3 during the end of year program. The car had terrible build quality and interior defects (B-Pillar Moldings were warped, Rattle by sunroof, Temp control knob broke, Driver Seat adjustments broke, Window went off track, etc..). After many complaints, Saab USA repurchased the car this week. I was then put into a 2000 SE for almost the exact same price. Roughly $340 per/month. I could not believe it. The 2000 has 205 hp and 209 lbs/torque. The Aero body treatment is great. The interior upgrades are amazing. The only negative is that the ride is much harsher because of the sport-tuned chassis and the larger tire set-up. It has been 2 days and this is one of the greatest cars I have owned. This is the Aero 9-3 from Europe.
    I must say that Saab USA and my dealer in NJ really took care of me and stood behind the product. I am impressed
    What are the specific upgrades to the interior vs. 1999?
    Glad to hear you got some saabisfaction.
  • jaws8jaws8 Member Posts: 2
    The 2000 9-3 SE compared to the 1999 base is like a different car. Obviously the dash layout is the same, but the upgrades to the comfort and Convenience items are very apparent. The 2 extra speakers and amp for the Radio/CD are great, plus the leather and Power Seats add comfort. In fact, the dual power seats offer more front leg room and steering wheel clearance because of the better adjustment controls. The Aero ground effects make it look like a much "richer" car, plus they are obviously functional during high speed driving. The engine is also a huge difference. The extra 20 hp and torque are obvious, as is the lighter clutch feel. The 16 inch wheels and michelin Pilots offer better grip, with the drawback of a harder ride. I will also take auto climate control anyday. Just to let you know, the 2000 Saab 9-3 SE 5 spd lists for $33,500.
    That under $20k 9-3 was for real and had a deposit on it when I arrived. It was a base 4-door with auto and CD player. Nice car. No stories. Trade-in on Suburu. They sold it very quickly. Talk about depreciation though, ouch.
  • jonson1jonson1 Member Posts: 1
    have a look at this http://saabtuning.com/ of
    som tundup saabs
    bostnwhalr-

I don't know for sure about the car you were looking at but something just seems way out of whack. Why was a nearly new 99 9-3 traded in at a Subaru dealership? At $28,000+ new that 9-3 saw an incredible killer depreciation scale. I'm sorry but I'm still suspect the motives behind this deal. Personally I don't think that you missed one myself.
    I live down the road in London, and I've never used snow tires on my 900 or current 9-3, for what it's worth.
    You're right. I have all-season 195's on the 15" wheel. I don't know anything about the 205 Michelins.
  • jpnwdcjpnwdc Member Posts: 42
    I just leased a 2000 9-3 SE and am very sorry I did. I test drove the car several times before getting the car. However, the test drives were all on reasonably smooth pavement in the suburbs of Wash. DC. I live in DC where the streets are not as smooth. This cars rides like a rollar skate, no exaggeration.

The SAAB Sales Manager called today and asked how I like the car. I was very honest and said I wish I had purchased the 9-5 instead because of the 9-3's harsh ride. The sales mgr. offered to switch the wheel/tire combo. for me at no charge. Instead of the 16" wheel and low-profile tire, they would put on the 2000 9-3 coupe's 15" wheels with Michelin MXV tires.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
    Its a sorry state of affairs in DC, especially when rural logging roads in Sweeden are better maintained than the urban infrastucture in our nation's capital.

Absent a move to a less corrupt and more efficient jurisdiction, I would say that you could probably keep the 16 alloy rims but ask investigate different tires. You can always store the Dunlops SPs until such time as you relocate or the DC government is cleansed of nepotism, corruption and incompetence.

I pity you for having to pay property taxes in a such jurisdiction. Research some options for those 16" rims. Those low profile tires will make your kidneys bleed if have to traverse broken pavement.
    Update to my SAAB 9-3 Harsh Ride Post:
    The dealer (Tischer SAAB in Laurel, MD) has been very helpful in trying to make me happy with the 9-3. They switched the wheel tire combo. to 15" wheels with Michelin 60 series tires. It helped although I still wasn't totally satisfied so I asked them if they would take the 9-3 back and lease me a 9-5. Since my car had less than 500 miles on it the sales manager said ok. I drove the 9-5 with the 4 cyl. engine. It definitely rode better but the engine wasn't that great. So, I decided to keep the 9-3. I miss the look of the SE's 16" wheels, but the better ride is worth it. (They took the wheels off a 2000 Base 9-3 Coupe which are actually nice looking 5-spoke alloys.)

Also, I was told that you cannot put 60 series tires on 16" wheels on the 9-3. The wheel/tire size has to be within certain specs.

Now regarding rfellman's comments on the District of Columbia, let me just say we have our problems (like most large urban areas), but the city is coming back. Real estate in DC is skyrocketing, there's new development everywhere, the roads are being rebuilt (although just to be dug up again for fiber-optic cables but that's not the city's fault), and crime is down. What city doesn't have a problem with potholes and streets being dug up for water main breaks and construction?
    This is a fascinating subject. Can you explicate as to why one can not out 60 series tires on the 16 rims? I have never heard that before. Maybe the dealer was referring to the availability of OEM tires (Dunlops). Are you telling me that you could not take the 16" Michelins found on the 9-5 which have a nice ride but lack grip onto a 9-3?
    I never investigated the compatibility of tires and rims between the 9-5 and the 9-3 so this is indeed interesting especially since I own one of each model and have though about switching from alloy rims to steel tires for winter driving.

Who can expound upon OEM and aftermarket tire and rim combos for 9-3s and 9-5s?
    It was explained to me that putting 60 series tires on 16" wheels on a 9-3 would be "out of spec" for the 9-3. The suspension system, speedometer, etc. are tuned for a wheel/tire combination within a certain range.

I did call a tire store, and indeed the specs. for the 9-3 with 16" wheels called for 50 series tires.

You have to remember that the 9-3 comes with either 15" or 16" wheels depending upon model (base vs. SE). The 9-5 only comes in 16", unless you get the Aero, which I believe has 17" wheels with low profile tires.
    I have had my 2000 Saab 9-3 SE automatic (with the High Output Turbo engine) for about 3 weeks. On my last fill-up, I determined I'm getting about 16 miles to the gallon in the city. This seems pretty poor. I had thought that one of the advantages of a 4-cylinder turbo was better gas mileage when compared to larger (i.e. 6 cylinder) engines.

Are there any other Saab owners out there who can comment?
  • jtolljtoll Member Posts: 2
    In 1600 miles I have gotten 24 tto 27 mpg with a mix of city and highway driving
    Sometimes mileage improves after 1000 miles. Another possibility is you are really having fun?
    Jack rabbit starts, mad dashes and lots of aggressive driving? Come on, come clean, we have all played with the car like that.
    My 99 9-3 gets about 19 to 24 MPG in very mixed driving. I have so much fun with the car, I could care less about the mileage. A day without my 9-3 just sucks, unless I am behind the wheel of our 9-5 SE.
    I'll give it some more time and see if the mileage improves. Is your 9-3 an SE with the High Output Turbo engine? I will admit that I have been driving a lot with the auto transmission in SPORT mode. I will leave it in normal mode and see what kind of mileage I get.

I didn't expect this car to be super economical. However 16 miles to the gallon is what I would expect with a big SUV.
    Let the engine break in sport mode. Its much more fun to drive in sport.
  • nob911nob911 Member Posts: 1
    I have 99 base 9-3 with 7000 miles. I am getting 24-25 on rush hour freeway driving in the Twin cities, with heavy sport use it drops to 19-20. On the open road the one tank was 31. On snow the basic tires work fine, I am moving better than most of the SUVs. Ice is of course ice with the normal stopping issues.
    Just test drove a 99' 9-3 SE auto, with heated seats. $22k with 13k miles. Nice car though turbo lag is typical. Seems like a good deal for a car with an original sticker of over $33k. Could get a 99' leftover for $28k but why bother?

Seems like a good deal given the features. Now we're ready to buy.
  • pappalardo1pappalardo1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1999 SAAB 9-3 3 door 5 speed. It is the worst car I have ever owned. I average a trip back to the dealer once a month (over 12 times total so far)I no longer bother. Service is poor at best. I have traded the car in and can not wait to rid myself of this Swedish piece of junk. It is a shame that SAAB can not get it together, the car rides nice, handles well and is fast...but the never ending problems quickly turn you against this car.
  • tbrodietbrodie Member Posts: 3
    I saw a vestigial '99 SE 5 door on the lot
    which is very similar to what I considered
    the last time I checked out Saabs. With
    the current $3000 incentive to dealers,
    I figure I could get a deal.

I've heard reliability has improved in
    recent years.

How tight is the 9-3 in terms of developing
    rattles?
  • bhsbhs Member Posts: 9
    My owner's manual for my 1999 9-3 says that the oil should be changed every 16,000 km or every 8,000 km if you do mainly city driving. I am definitely the latter, but what happened to the 3 month/5000 km golden rule?? Any suggestions on what interval I should change the oil at.
  • nigelphillipsnigelphillips Member Posts: 4
    Just an update on my SAAB 1999 model base 9-3 and the ongoing camber steering and assorted other problems. After several months of research here in North America as well as in Europe (thus the silence), it appears that the engine-automatic gearbox combination is in fact a tad too much for the soft suspension on the base 9-3. SAAB Canada's response is basically tough luck, and I have quite frankly given up trying to get any sense out of them. Tire pressure does not make too much difference (plus or minus 5 psi anyway). Abbott Racing in the UK offered some (expensive) fixes that seemed to involve replacing most of the front end suspension bushes, brakes, steering rack brackets, shocks, wheels and tires. It came to over CND$5000 without labor. I thought seriously about it (for all of 30 seconds), but then it's a leased car and I am over half-way through the lease and then it's over.

We've just hit some cold weather in Montreal(-12 to -15 °C - whatever that is in °F) and this appears to be too cold for the bushings on the sway bar - it sound as if the front end is separating from the rest of the body when I go over a bump (and our roads here in Montreal beat anything else in North America for bumps, pot-holes, ice-heaves and cracks)! None in stock at the dealership - everybody appears to need them replaced. The car is 21 months old, has 36,000 km, and now needs replacement front brake rotor discs - another confrontation with SAAB Canada appears to be looming along the lines of "You pay! No, no, I insist, you pay!". Anything else? Oh yes, the air bag activator switch needed replacing at 35,000 km, and there is a distinct whistle through the seals on the front doors at speeds of above 80 km/hour. Not very nice in our weather. The gearbox thunks on changing down when coming to a stop (apparently normal!). Lots of creaks and groans now coming from the body makes me wonder about the number of welds holding the thing together. The automatic audio control (the faster you go the louder it gets - maybe) has never worked, the date routinely reverts to January 1, the drivers seat cushion is collapsing (and I'm not very heavy) oh, it just goes on and on and on. Great motor with minimal turbo lag (it does has a slight tweak on the wastegate - just tell the mechanic it's not accelerating very well), but the rest of the car is just an average Opel/Vaxhall vectra (no offense, they're nice cars but then they're half the price of a SAAB with nearly as good performance and the 9-3 is in fact built on the same platform). I liked the recent comment from the person who keeps going back to the dealer. My dealership sends me Christmas cards and birthday cards from the mechanics thanking me for seeing their offspring through college (I am not joking, and thank goodness SAAB actually pays under warranty), and the receptionist greets me with "It's Mr. Phillips - it must be Monday morning". I always get any amount of coffee, donuts, a workstation to use if its a short visit (i.e., 1-2 hours), use of the telephone, and a personal ride to work and then back to collect the car if it stays with its friends overnight or for the weekend. I must have been to the dealership over 40 times in the last 18 months. I recently drove a 9-5 with the base 2 liter eco engine in England for a week. What a difference (apart from the anemic engine performance)! The car actually steers in a straight line on roads with camber. Now has anybody tried the 9-5 aero yet.....
    Oil is cheaper than engines! (ask any taxi driver - they change their oil every 2 weeks). I change the oil and filter every 3000 km, although 5000 km should be ok. I would not trust any north american oil for 16,000 km (with the exception of the sythetics, nearly all our engine oil is recycled - read the labels). Besides, it looks nicer on the dipstick.
    Camber steer is a bit of an annoyance but seriously, I only notice it when I look at the steering wheel and notice it is turned slightly when it should be straight. Just how bad is you camber steer? I assume you have had your allignment checked and rechecked. I have not experienced the same degree of problems with creaks as you have. Is it possible you indeed have a lemon? Any lemon laws in Quebec?
  • evilpancakewomevilpancakewom Member Posts: 35
    Hello, I have been looking at all sorts of
    different cars becuase the one I have right now is
    falling apart and its a 1989 Volvo 760 GLE with
    only 121,000 miles on it. I'm either going with a
    Toyota Solara SLE or a Saab 9-3. I love the way
    the Saab looks but I'm concerned with the
    reliability of the car. Does anyone know the
    ranking of this car on reliability?
    Thanks.
  • saabconfusedsaabconfused Member Posts: 1
    I have a '87 9000 with almost 200,000 mi (dont know for sure as the speedometer has cut out for the past 5 years) and despite all the problems I had in the first 6 years of the car am contemplating a new one. I return to these cars because of there great drive and handling. Also because of there reputation of leaders in safety. If, however,you look at the Euro crash test result, the FIS, Saab 93 did terribly,especially compared to the A4 and volvo S40. It seems that a lot of it is based on the fact that the 93 has a very small area around the drivers legs. (which I noticed in a loaner car when my car was in the shop) Does anyone have any info or thoughts on this?? I live in Boston where it seems accidents are a dime a dozen and safety is my biggest priority.
  • ronlevronlev Member Posts: 3
    Just had 1000mi. brake-in service. The car has been flawless from fit and finish to mechanical. All city driving has yielded 22 to 24 MPG driving like a little old lady, not from Pasadena. Ready to unwind it now though. The car is a camealeon (sp?).It is quite comfortable for a family of four although it is not a wide vehicle. The trunk/hatch configuration makes for cargo space second to none for any sedan as well as it being a station wagon in disguise, with the rear seats down. You also have the luxury of driving it as a serious sport sedan (SE/5spd) with nothing short of a phenomenal turbo-boost to enhance that feeling. There are concerns you must address and be aware of: Stiff suspension, shortage of cup holder and nook and cranny space and the fact that this is an engine (w/ the 5spd) that demands you pay attention and learn its ways.... You will be rewarded. After awhile driving it will become "automatic". So far, so good. It works for me.
  • hydroman241hydroman241 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '95 900SE with just over 50K miles. In the past year, I have had problems with the car not starting while warm and stalling out at highway speeds. After several visits, they seem to have traced the problem to the ignition switch. I also have had electrical problems with turn signals and the climate control. After the warranty expired (barely) the steering rack began to leak. (Nothing can be done except replace it.) I like this car but I am concerned about its reliability and maintenance costs down the road. Any suggestions with these cars post warranty. My current feeling is to get rid of this car before sinking more money into it.
    Yes it's bad - long trips are a pain (literally)from holding the steering wheel at an appropriate (or I suppose inappropriate)angle, which appears to be about 15-20°. Hard braking at speed in the left or right lane can be very exciting as the camber steer is exacerbated. I have been through the usual camber/caster front end alignments, and everything checks to within specifications. SAAB issued a technical bulletin last year that basically says that camber steer is NORMAL AND YOU BETTER GET USED TO IT. Unfortunately we're too far north for lemon laws.

The saga of the creaking front suspension bushings at -12°C and below continues. After being assured that the sway bar (i.e. anti-roll bar) bushings would be replaced, the fix was TEFLON TAPE! as a KIT!I didn't have the nerve to inquire any further. Now I have very loud bangs from the front suspension when accelerating (reduced load), braking (increased load) and going over bumps and potholes (plenty of those in Montreal). The mechanics comment: oops! Needless to say it will be back with its friends for the next few days. The BRAKE DISCS were ground to within an inch (0.02" actually) of their lives, thus partially solving the problem of steering vibration at speed. Latest problem is the radio antenna which insists on staying up when the radio is off. Silly.

Condensation in these cars seems to be a problem in cold weather. The windscreen defroster misses a substantial area on the drivers side, and in cold weather (-20°C) I have to alternate between cabin heating and defrosting. I made a comment to this effect at THE DEALERSHIP last week, and got talked into replacing the pollen filter. This thing is about 12 x 6 inches, consists of corregated blue paper and costs $60.00 plus installation (which I didn't pay) and its replacement DOESN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE. I should have taken the vacuum cleaner to it (but then I would have to have found it).

I naturally assume that a car designed and built in Sweden (which is probably as cold as Canada in the winter) should have a decent heater and defosting system (I gave up on the air conditioning after the second condenser didn't condense). They must really wrap up well when they go for a drive over there (I hate to think what they do in the summer). And I am really fed up with the snow that always falls on the seats when the doors are opened. And has anybody else noticed that the length of time it takes for the door mirrors to defrost is just long enough to ensure burnt thighs (and other unmentionables). Now what design genius decided to link the seat warmers with the mirror defrosters? I would really like to talk with him - or the bean counter who decided that one more electrical switch was going to cut into the profit margin. AND ANOTHER THING: The door mirrors appear to have been designed to leave a streak of debris from the screen washers on the door windows AT EXACTLY EYE LEVEL. Now we use lots of salt on our roads when it snows, and a member of the Ontario constabulary informed me on a trip down the 401 last week that unless I washed the car immediately, he was going to ticket me for DANGEROUS DRIVING on the basis that as he couldn't see in I certainly couldn't see out. Quite right too!

I promise to keep everybody informed of all the sodid details as the saga unfolds.
    Wow, must hate your car by now.
    I can offer a tiny bit of assistance. The outside mirror defrosters are activated when you turn on the rear defrost, not the seat warmers.
    You're right about the defrosting capability; it could be a lot better. To clear windows other than the windshield, you have to set the directional between front defrost and heater (aimed at feet). The side window defrost function is off when you have the air directed 100% at the front window.
    Obviously, you shouldn't have the recirculate button pushed.
    Good luck.