Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V40 - Information & Experiences

Comments

• matt108matt108 Member Posts: 2
    I am a happy owner of a 2002 V40, however, I was wondering if anyone had trouble accommodating a rear facing child seat, and an adult front seat passenger at the same time. I have tried several different car seats, but in every case, the front passenger's seat must be moved far forward, and without being reclined, in order to get the child seat to fit. This makes the front passenger seat uncomfortable, and almost unusable for full size adults on long trips. Has anyone else had this experience, and if not, what type of child car seat are you using that fits with the front seat in a comfortable position?

Thanks for your responses.
  • zsebbencszsebbencs Member Posts: 1
    I've been trying to have one of my rear speakers fixed since I bought my car. At fairly high volume, it produces a crackling noise. The particular speaker and the radio already have been replaced but I still have the problem and my dealer tries to convince me that the radio is just not meant to be listened to that loud. As he says, the speaker is not able to handle such a high volume. I find this totally stupid: why would they install these speaker with this particular radio if they don't work well together and also: why only one of my 8 speakers do this? I didn't accept my dealer's explanation and now he wants me to meet a Volvo factory representative. Before I do that I would like to gather some information. So please let me know if you have ever encountered the same problem or just give me some feedback about your experience with your stereo.

Thank you.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    Then sign the petition at:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/vs4ds100/petition.html
    so far, there are 87 signatures. Add yours and maybe Volvo will build the car. Also join in on the Volvo S100 conversation under Future Vehicles.
  • pzp1pzp1 Member Posts: 2
    Apologies if this is off topic. If you are in the DC/Baltimore area, stay away from Koons Volvo in Owings Mills, MD. They agreee on one price for a V40 with us, then upped it by $1500 when we were ready to sign the paperwork. We walked out and they lost a sale. The experience was similar to the worst nightmare "used car saleman" tactics.
  • vault2vault2 Member Posts: 31
    pzp1,

Did you purchase your V40 yet? Drop me an e-mail.
  • joe_rjoe_r Member Posts: 1
    I will appreciate any help on this decision. A colleague has a 2000 V40, 45k miles, fully loaded (premium sound, sports, leather) in excellent condition for sale at 10K. It has the usual brake issue, dead battery, fluttering noise from moonroof, noise from right front window at 60mph, etc. But it is in excellent condition. Should I do it? TIA.

joe
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    "It has the usual brake issue, dead battery, fluttering noise from moonroof, noise from right front window at 60mph, etc. But it is in excellent condition."

I guess if you can get those things fixed before purchase (or get a hefty discount due to those items) it wouldn't be bad. Otherwise, I'd pass.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Price is 2k below Kelly Wholesale.

By brake issue I take it you mean the Volvo Soft pads, no big deal there.

Put a new battery in the car.
    The car might still be under warranty so the window and roof could be fixed by volvo
  • pzp1pzp1 Member Posts: 2
    We have just bought our new V40 (everything possible except the child booster seats). Got a great deal--$700 under invoice! Obviously, too early for any conclusions, but so far, the car is great. I am particularly impressed by gas mileage. This comes from someone who has been driving a Honda Civic up until now. Most of my driving is highway and I have been getting up to 33mpg.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and congratulations on your new Volvo V40! We look forward hearing all about your ownership experience.... ;-)

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • carshopper17carshopper17 Member Posts: 2
    When I bought my V40 it was very good. It ran well, accelerated well and so forth. Now, after 4 years and 52K+ miles I can shed more light on the V40. First, the running lights. I had to replace the bulbs every 6 months until I had the
    local dealer turn the running lights program off.
    No problem since I had this done. Then, innumerable rattles started making their presence
    felt. My lowly Mazda Protege does a better job here. Virtually everything made out of plastic in the interior of the car has broken and virtually every part in the interior is made of plastic! The car is noisy. Noisier than my Mazda Protege. The windshield wipers are a cruel
    joke. It does have adequate power and adequate
    passing power. It is spacious. Considering that I use high octane gas, it is really not that
    economical to run. Plus, the brake pads need to be replaced frequently. And consider this: it takes a lot more money to maintain a Volvo than even a Lexus (comparisons with my friend's RX300). Would I buy another V40? No.
    Would I buy another Volvo? Probably not. So, to those of you who are considering a V40 - there is much better value out there for the same money!
  • billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    I am seriously considering the purchase of a V40, BUT am having second thoughts after reading some of the negative comments above. Any advices pro or con would be very much appreciated.

Bill H.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Honestly, I'd say wait until the redesign next year, if you can. I've heard much good press about it. As much of a Volvo fan that I am, I really don't see where the V40 compares favorably to a Legacy GT or a Passat (or even a CPO Saab 9-5.) But, drive what you like.
  • carshopper17carshopper17 Member Posts: 2
    I agree with lancerfixer. The passat is a much better value. If you want a luxury car, buy a Saab, Lexus, Infiniti - I have colleagues who own these and are very happy...unless, of course, I can interest you in a used, but very well maintained 2000 V40 from sunny CA!
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    I also am considering the V40. In searching the Volvo website and looking through the on-line brochure, I did not find anything about recommended fuel for this engine. Is anyone running on regular gasoline? If so, do you notice a difference in performance between that and premium fuel? Thanks for any comments on this.
  • wez88wez88 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my V40 (1999 model) 2.0 litre petrol engine 2 years ago, now the milage is 30K+. A strange knocking noise started to appear from the rear wheel when I drive over speed bumps or road pits.. I took the car to my trustworthy mechanic (not the volvo dealer who is a rip off) and told me there was nothing wrong.. he checked everything.. I am not convinced yet.. anyone experienced the same problem? could it be the anti roll bar? the axle? suspension/or anything else ? and what about the cost? Help please...
    sounds like either the suspension or sway bar bushings are worn or cracked.
    Tell your tech to take another look under there.
  • byebyev40byebyev40 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 V40 Sport Edition on 3 year lease and was initially happy. My Volvo dealer experience is less than satisfying. The car itself has too many problems compared to other makes. 2 of the Goodyear Eagles had slow leaks from the beginning and wore badly requiring replacement at 15,000 to 18,000 miles (15 inch V rated tires are not always immediately available). There are only 3 dealers in San Diego and only 1 with Saturday hours. The Saturday staff is never right for the service required on the V40. The 15,000 mile service is over priced compared to other brands. The lights do burn out frequently and you will learn to change them. As I found out the hard way, the rear brake bad life is criminally short (Yes, gone in 15,000+ is Ok with Volvo Customer Service - mine 23,000). I have never replaced pads on other brand (Honda, Nissan, VW, Jeep) 3 year leases. I am quoted $460 to replace rear pads and rotors 2 months before car return. Ordered the parts for 25% less than the Dealers Part quote online and will have the local mechanic install. The air conditioning unit gets mixed up and surges full blast in the off position. The cargo bed floor covering the spare is flimsy and permanently warped by carrying a carton of paper from staples. It is some type of cheap plyboard 3/8" that does not even set flush when new. I almost forgot the Oil Pan gasket leaks terribly at 23,000 and covers the garage floor. Basically, a lot of small problems, issues, $'s and time consumption that has not been required with other cars and brands. Thanks and good luck!
  • alexhalexh Member Posts: 1
    I am a dissatisfied 2000 V40 owner. I bought the car used from my local Volvo dealer about 2yrs ago and have had nothing but problems since the beginning. Some of the chronic maintenance issues are well documented such as: Check Engine light, Premature Break Pad wear, Ratteling Noise issues in the cabin, Bulb replacement every 6 months and poor customer service at local dealership. But, what has prompted me to write this message is my latest problem of the car sporadically not starting. Luckily I have an extended warranty on the car and road side assistance which I have now used twice to tow the car to the nearest dealer. The dealer clamis it is a faulty immobilizer chip inside both ignition keys but won't replace it until it's completly ruled out. I have been going round and round on this issue now for 3 months, and finally today they agreed on changing a relay in the ignition system to see if it solves my problem. Any one have similar problems??
    This is a real shame, the car only has 17,900 miles and is in immaculate condition. As a first time Volvo owner, this has been the worst car experience I have ever had. So new buyers be aware.
  • nomorevolvonomorevolvo Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 V40. The lease will be up in Nov. 04. I like the ride, layout and looks. I am very unhappy with everything else. Had to change dealer for better service. Had dealer playing Volvo against me etc. on the unresolved transmission problem (shifts, frequently, into false neutral when upshifting 3 to 4). Never had such an unreliable car. Makes my son's 1993 3.8 L Taurus look like a winner. Towed twice, would not start. One week per year extra service visits while waiting for diagnostics and/or parts. UNSAFE car when electric brake booster pump dies (no indication) and one tries to brake right after cold engine start, there is no boost support at all. So far 2 pumps failed, the 2nd one after 4 weeks.
    List of problems: 1.at 12k front oxygen sensor failed 2.at 14k rear oxygen sensor failed 3.at 20k brakes had to be done 4.at 25k driver seat frame back broke 5.at 30k, 60k, 90k headlamps burned out (like clockwork) 6.at 45k driver side mirror fell apart on highway 7.at 48k car out for 2 weeks, would not start, waiting for engine speed sensor shield and cable even though a bulletin had been issued for those in summer 2001 (before car built date) 8.at 80k car would not start, again, engine speed sensor and cable assembly 9.at50k lost plastic center inserts in several rims 10.original tires dead at 30k, replacements still good at 95k (same tire make and model, go figure)11.since 45k transmission shifts into false neutral, occasionally, when upshifting; reproduced by dealer but never fixed as Volvo and dealer play me against one of them to first invest over 1000$ in transmission flushes, software updates and other BS 12.at78 k had to buy extended warranty as I would not be able to afford all thsoe repairs, $1800 down the drain 13.at 55k check engine light, thermostat had to be replaced (warmed up too slowly) 14.brakes are very good performance wise, but last only one winter after which, specifically the rear rotors and all pads, are grovved, worn, and garbage; brakes all around $1300 at Volvo dealer 15. at 97k the large rear door plastic piece (plate holder, lamps etc) cracked around rear center latch, will need replacing 16. I forget the rest (and am happy about it)
    Since Volvo does not fix the tranny I use avery opportunity I get to drive people in my car and point out the crappy tranny as "acceptable to Volvo". My comeback to Volvo is to talk as many people as I can out of buying one, so far succesfully done 4 times.
    First and last Volvo ever. All I really wanted was a nice, somewhat fast and solid car, and pay a small premium if needed. I sure paid the premium. Seven months left on lease...and feeling better every day.
    Yes, I have the same problem. Occurred in the 3rd winter. Will get replaced under extended warranty. Sure looks like poor design.
  • arbeaupainarbeaupain Member Posts: 1
    My daughter's 2000 V40 is making a fan like noise that will not turn off after turning engine off.
     I finally had to disconnect the battery.
    The noise appears to come from the left front end, behind the head light.
      If any body knows the reason and solution I would greatly appreciate it...
                          sincerely, frustrated
  • volvononovolvonono Member Posts: 1
    Replaced the brakes at 22K miles...I DON't ride on the brakes.

Replaced front bulbs at 25K

front strut needs to be replaced...

What a piece of junk.
  • rgmurphyrgmurphy Member Posts: 4
    Same with me except I have 11 months of hard time left on my lease and hope that the second set of new brakes will last that last 8000 Miles before Its returned to the rightful owners.

Same issue with head light bulbs blowing out and cost $20 per. Also rear bulbs blown out and replaced.

Factory tires are criminal as they wore out after 24000 miles and are unsafe due to side wall flex.

I will celebrate when this lease is done and expect Volvo to hose me at the end with closing fees.

I would not buy the new volvo V50 if you paid me due to the more than likely costly issues ahead. Read the early posts which were all positive and now see the truth come out.

Good luck. Volvo get a life!

rgmurphy
  • bigmaxspinbigmaxspin Member Posts: 1
    I am ready to lease a new s-40. Is there anyone who can say anything posative about this model?
    Don't use the brakes andy you'll be fine. :>)

Other than that V40 and S40s are nice to drive.

Get a Nissan or something reliable is my recommendation.

Cheers
    Actually he was asking about the new car, not the old one.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi bigmax. Since this is the V40 discussion (focused on the wagon), you probably want to check in at the Sedans Board for discussions on the S40 sedan.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and Wagons Message Boards
  • www1www1 Member Posts: 1
    OK, sounds these cars are nightmares... I'm looking at a 2003 V40 with 29K miles and leather. Seems like a nice car. I can buy it for $15K. Should I stay away from it?
    www1

Ask one question of Volvo (Ford).

Do you warrantee the brakes? Go from there.

This will be the first question I would ask in buying any Volvo. Expect the same answer and the same results.

Near great cars with no brake life.

I guess Volvos slogan should be.

"Volvo for no brake life". heh heh heh (so bad you have to laugh)

Low reliability cars with high maintenance costs.

Cheers

RGMurphy P.Eng
  • j_ninej_nine Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2002 v40 with similar problems. In fact, my speakers gave out within the first 2 months of car ownership. I had them replaced by the dealer after having someone crawl around my car to listen closely to my speakers for 20 minutes. I mostly listen to npr so, there is no explanation for the poor quality other than shoddy equipment. Good luck!
    Returned the V40 on Dec. 1. This after having more trouble with rearview mirror, crankshaft position sensor (poor/no starting), fuel pump (poor starting), the ongoing transmission trouble etc. etc. "Volvo for Life" is over for me, sure does feel like it.

Summary: a hoot to drive, gas miser, maintenance too expensive (brakes, e.g.), very unreliable (3 tows in 4 yrs), no value for money; must have backup car if you live in the boonies.

Anyway, done and over. Yappadappadoo.

See also message 148
  • discodocdiscodoc Member Posts: 3
    Have wanted a V40 since I first drove one but due to poor ratings, have stayed away. 2004 V40 did best of any. Am due to replace my old Subaru Outback and considering a 2004 V40 ONLY.

Can anyone speak to whether the 2004's have the same brake/light/plastic/random problems I have read about repeatedly here??? Consumer reports gave good ratings to it but who knows...

Any 2004 owners out there?
    The 2004 V40's were fine cars, no light problems.

The brake issue isn't a defect but rather a side effect of the brake design.
    The V40's brakes are smaller than any other Volvo's. In order to assure safe stopping more work is done by the rear brakes than in any other Volvo. Consequently, the brake pads tend to wear out sooner. Also, since the rotors cannot be turned they also have to be replaced sooner rather than later.
    If the extra maintenance on the 40 series brakes bothers you you might want to consider the V50 instead.
  • discodocdiscodoc Member Posts: 3
    Appreciate the reply and the explanation for brakes. Hard to know if it will bother me. Any idea how often and how much we're talking about with regard to brake servicing?

Other than that, anything I should know or realize if buying? Competing vehicles are 2003 LL Bean Outback or new 2005 Outback XT Ltd. Have always had a soft spot for V40 but don't want to make a decision I'll regret. Husband who is SUPER practical will get to say "I told you so"... ;-)
    How often is dependent on driving habits.
    Could be every 10-15,000 miles or every 30-40,000 miles.
    Now, if you are also looking new, the V50 bears looking at. Much nicer car than the V40 IMO.
  • msonniermsonnier Member Posts: 1
    did you ever find an answer, i'm going thru the same experience
  • mugster1mugster1 Member Posts: 34
    Wonder if anyone else has had trouble with their steering wheel pealing/ bubbling

I own a 2004 V40 and the dealer advise me that it must have been by a ring ?
  • skthomskthom Member Posts: 1
    No peeling steering wheel on our 40K mile 2003.

We have also had the rear brakes replaced at 15K and my wife has been complaining of occasional weird shifting that the dealer claims to not be able to reproduce.

The brake thing doesn't bother me, but I wish the "stealer" would own up to the tranny thing before our warranty is up.

We really love the care otherwise and plan on driving it for a long time.
  • pixelpixel Member Posts: 1
    I'm going on 4 years with my V40, and I love it. My front brake pads wore out at 15K, but I replaced them with Mintex pads and they have been going strong for 20K miles with no sign of giving up yet. The only problem I have had with the car was a transmission problem - would seem to get stuck between 3rd and 4th on the upshift for a moment, and then lurch to where it was supposed to be. Volvo reproduced the problem and replaced my transmission for me (at 25Kmiles). No problem since. I love the way the car drives, and I hope it runs forever. Other than standard maintenance issues, like oil, brakes, tires, and headlamps, my v40 is a gem...
  • llgllg Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 v40 lse and my steering wheel bubbled and peeled at about 23,000 miles
    it was covered under warranty, thank goodness.
  • barndoctorbarndoctor Member Posts: 4
    Here's a new V40 problem. Mine is a 2000 model year. My turbo cuts out unexpectedly - I'm told that it's the camshaft valve that gets stuck ($200 to fix). And without the turbo, it can feel like you're pulling a trailer. My local newspaper in Colorado states that the NHTSA is investigating this problem in Volvos. Does anyone else have this problem? It throws a "check engine" code - P0013 on my scanner.
  • meh22277meh22277 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 2000 V40 tonight and I've tried to do all the research I can. It's a great price and has just had a brake job. Any thoughts/advice on this?
  • barndoctorbarndoctor Member Posts: 4
    I bought the same year V40 new 5 1/2 years ago. Look at message 159 for my latest problem. If I could do it again, I would have bought a Subaru, Toyota, or Honda. Yes, the car is fun to drive, but it's higher maintenance than other makes. If you're good with cars, own an OBD II scanner, and don't mind tinkering with the car from time to time, it may be fun to own. If not, I'd look elsewhere.
  • sharyl1sharyl1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 V40 and just recently noticed that the gear shift panel does not illuminate (P, R, N, D, etc..) and it makes it very difficult to see at night when I'm trying to put my car into gear. I hardly drive at night which explains why I probably never noticed this before. My dimmer knob it set at the highest setting. In addition, I also noticed that the the radio control indicators above the knobs are also not illuminated.

I'm wondering if this is how the car is supposed to be or if I need to take this in to the dealer for repair.

To be honest, I don't particularly like going to the dealer because they have a way of dimissing small problems and making me feel like I don't know what I'm talking about!

Any input about a similar problem would be most appreciated!
  • cczccz Member Posts: 1
    Good idea if you want to know all the Volvo mechanics on a first name basis and you'd rather spend $500 a month on repairs than on a new car payment. :lemon:
  • calvin7calvin7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 V40 with 38k miles on it. I have had many of the problems people here have been talking about. Here is my list:

-The leather on the steering wheel just started bubbling and peeling away. Took the car to Volvo and they replaced the steering wheel.

-The leather on the seats is wearing away also and I predict that I will be forced to either have the seat re-upholstered or buy a new seat by next year.

-The paint is not very resistant to nicks and dings... or the clear coat is of low quality. I have a 97 4Runner with over 150k miles on it and it does not have near to the amount of nicks in the paint as the 1 year old Volvo does.

-When first starting the car in the morning (I park my car in the garage every night) The breaks barely work. The first time this happened I took it into our dealer and they said they could not find a problem. The problem still persists. I have found there is a 'RECALL' for this exact same problem.

-For some reason, at various times, the steering wheel shakes/shimmies. Does not appear to be out of alignment. When I let go of the wheel the car maintains a straight path. Feels like the front end is shaking or almost like the engine is working very hard.

-The head lights have both been hit by rocks and at near to $500 a light... I can not really afford that, waiting for one to end up in a junk yard or 3rd party light. I did find that Volvo sells a plastic cover for the lights to help protect them from this. If your lights are still in crack free, you might want to rush out and by these 'sticker' type covers. I am hoping for some kind of after market hard plastic cover someday.

-I live in a wet area (Olympia, WA)and taking off on a hill, the front end slides out. I have not predicted a time when using the 'W' button in advance before starting off and spinning tires on the street. Also if the road is just a bit wet or even slippery, the front end will give out and so far I've managed to gain control before crashing (so now we drive very carefully in these situations)

-I have one break light that keeps burning out. I burned out my first one after three months; Volvo replaced it and checked the electrical. Good to go until about 7 months of ownership. Took it to Volvo, replaced it, good to go. Now at 13 months of ownership the light that says my break light is going out goes on occasionally. But the break light is good. I don't understand.

-There was this plastic piece that sits on the end of track that the seat slides back and forth on. It fell off and I guess it broke off. That was after 2 months of ownership. I think they ordered a new one?

-I was disappointed that I was not notified of the recalls to my vehicle. I will call the number on Monday.

-One of the rear seat belts is having a problem at the buckle. 3 out of 5 attempts to insert the belt into the buckle results in a fail to secure.

-The dealer in Fife, Wa. has always been excellent. But the dealer in Olympia (which has won all kinds of awards for customer satisfaction) has been miserable and unfriendly. I agree with an earlier post that if you are unhappy with one dealer go to another. I drive a good 40 miles to go to the Fife dealer where the Olympia dealer is about 10 miles away.

-Fuel Economy is also decreasing, the trip meter says I am getting from 28 to 32. But on paper, it is closer to 18 to 24. Normal Driving. I have been on time with every service interval.

-The factory radio is dangerous while driving because you MUST look (not just a quick glance) at it when making adjustments.

-The 12 Volt DC receptacle can only handle 20Amps and I wish it could handle 30Amps so I could plug in 30Amp DC to AC converter that I bought from Radio Shack. AND I can not find one that is less than 30Amps

-Some times the door locks on the car just open. And other times, the rear door locks will not open with-out pushing the lock and unlock and lock and unlock sequence on the button.

-The plastic on the key is breaking over the buttons.

At times I like the car and at times I don't. I did like it when I drove it off the lot, but a little over year later, I am not very happy with my choice. If the car was 5 years old, then I would be more understanding; thinking wear and tear. I don't think I will be buy another Volvo... Nor am I recommending them when people ask me my opinion. I tell them my experience with my V40. I admit I mostly bought the car based on Volvo's reputation and I am disappointed.

I understand this is a long entry. I contemplate daily now if it will be worth the effort writing to Volvo expressing my experiences, disappointment, and troubles I have had with my V40. This blog came in handy in clearing my thoughts. AND this is my own account with my V40 that cost me $28K (A lot of money for me).

I have been very satisfied with the service I have received from the Volvo Dealer in Fife, and this next visit will be the first time I will have to pay.

Enough for now...

Perhaps after next week when I take my car to the dealer and get ready to fork over the big bucks for a one year old car for things that normally don't go wrong on a one year old car with 38K miles on it, I will post the results here.
  • jared1024jared1024 Member Posts: 1
    is there a way to get the code for the reason that the check engine light is coming on without going to a mechanic
    Not really.
    You could buy an obd-II reader and pull the code. There are some universal codes, but alot are Volvo specific.
    Some auto parts places will pull the code for you free of charge.
    You would still have to have a mechanic correct whatever is wrong
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    As I recently lert a long-term career as an educator to become a Volvo sales consulant,i of course found your post disconcerting.

I have always felt that none of the European brands are as reliable as perhaps one would hope. My own experience with a VW and an Opel(Catera) bear this out. European cars just seem to have a desireabitity that the Japanese brands lack. And Volvo is no different...I don't own one yet(just two months into this),but the cars do strike me very favorably. Ergonomically they seem perfect....And I do believe they are the safest brand on the road. And I can believe that they might have many niggling problems such as you have reported....They do seem very durable all the same...I've seem many recently pushing 250,000 miles.....
This discussion has been closed.