Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo 850 Wagons

Comments

• lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    Run. Run away.

The owner can't produce service records, and it needs tires and brakes badly...that points to a poorly maintained car, which means I'm willing to bet that the timing belt's never been replaced. In these cars, a timing belt failure means catastrophic engine failure (the cost of which would exceed the purchase price of the car.)

850s can be great cars...if they've been maintaned. There's certainly no shortage of 850s out there, so wait and find a good one that you won't immediately have to sink money into.

I say look elsewhere in this case, but a properly maintaned 850 can be a great car for not a lot of money.
  • Hello all. I'm getting my license in a couple of months, and my parents have... bittersweet feelings about my new independence. Of course, my own means of transportation, but the worries that come along with it. For now, I practice on my dad's '00 Solara SLEV6. I was looking at the 850 wagon for my first car because they seem to be highly regarded as safe vehicles (something my parents are definitely looking for). Plus, alot of upperclassmen at my highschool have them, and they kinda have this retro (coolness) aura about them. I just wanted some feedback on this car. Would a used '94-'97 make a good first car for a safe driver (or I'd like to think) :p like myself? What are the pricing that should be expected? (Leaning towards $11.5k or less) PLEASE post replies! Thanks.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    See my above post. 850s are great cars...if they've been maintained. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy one for my kids (driving is a LONG way off for them, though...) and $11.5k could move you well into S/V70 territory. It'll certainly be more than enough to find a fine example of an 850...keep in mind that the sedans go for a good bit less, if you want to save money (and what teenager doesn't, unless it's their parents'...)

Good luck.
  • Love my 97 850glt wagon. While not happy about last year's "fluke" (quote from Volvo NA) cracked cylinder head at 75K miles, bit the bullet and repaired. Not so happy about today's "broken" manifold intake hose (labeled as "rare" by Volvo). Has anyone else had either of these problems? NSH
  • And now (see manifold note) am told cv boots are going/gone - and that 550 is what it takes to repair them. I never thought a Volvo would turn out to be such a money pit - it was a great first 5 years though before it became a sinkhole.
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    I spray the CV boots once a year with silicone so that they stay soft and flexible. None have cracked yet, I have had to replace CV joints when they started clicking at 150,000 for passenger side and 200,000 miles for driver side.
  • I don't have brake problem,accept it makes squeaking noise when applied.My pads look good.I change new rotors and apply untisqueak.Any suggesting to make my brakes quite?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Hose off the calipers once a week.

Gets rid of the dust that accumulates.
  • What if i install (ceramic or kevlar) brake pads like "EBC GREENSTUFF".Are they produce less dust and could be a good replacement?
    Well, that depends.

Cost of the pads then becomes an issue.

Also, how well do the pads perform?

Volvo brake rotors are thinner than most, if the brake pads don't disipate heat effectively they will warp the rotors.
  • I have just started shopping for a 95-97 850 wagon, and went to look at a couple today. One of the things that struck me is the apparent lack of a retractable cargo cover for the rear as I have in my Yukon and my wife has in her Liberty. Have the cars I've looked at just been missing the cover, or does such an animal not exist?
    If memory serves, the cover was optional.

YOu should be able to get one through your dealerships parts dept.
  • How essential to change brake fluid?Manual sad:to change every 2 years.
  • Thanks very much. I have since looked at three more, and two of them had the cover and the other did not. I just have to get lucky and find 'The Car' and hope that it has one (or spend $250 and buy one....)
  • I've determined that the 850 has the best combination of safety and price for my daughter's first car. Had decided on on 1997 until I found that it required premium gas.... now looking at 1995s.
    Does anyone out there use regular gas in their 1996-1997? Any problems?
    After reading as much as I can find on problems and repair costs for this car, I'm not so sure I've made the correct choice.
    Would appreciate all advice!
  • Last night I was driving back from VT in my 97 850R Wagon...on the mountain it just died. Let it sit for 10 minutes, started right up and died three miles later. Almost got killed waiting for police and wrecker (never thought I'd see the day this was getting towed). I had an 85 RX Turbo (subaru) and had a similar experience, in that case the turbo overheated.
    Is the any experiences out there that sound like mine? Could it be the fuel (93octane) or a sending unit perhaps? I am stuck.
    Volvo recommends premium for all 850's.
    You can use lesser fuel, but you will get less performance and worse mileage.
    Its up to you.
  • rcrearcrea Posts: 1
    Most any scrap yard will have a cd/fm radio in thier lot. This is a plug and play replacement. A unit from a 96 and up will work. Make sure you obtain the set code for the unit otherwise it is useless. A respected volvo deal will decode the serial number and give you a code
  • strobelstrobel Posts: 1
    I'm 23 years old and for Four Long Years I have been saving for a Volvo 850, and Driving my Volvo 240 Wagon, with well over 450 thousand miles on it. Which starts at any temp outside.

Its a 1995 850 MT Base Model. I bought in Florda, and on way north to Minnesota, this past week as the outside temps are only aound 30-50 in the early am hours it will not start. But when I break for lunch during school around Noon-1pm its 60+ outside it will start. But if its Raining or below 60 or so it will crank and fire then die right away.

I bought it to the Volvo Dealership, when the check engine light came on and, Payed 375.90 to run the codes and do a tune up. The check engine light has gone out after that, then at 3:30 am when I leave for school the next day no start, and the check engine light came back on, back to square one.

Thank goodness I live only 70 miles from a Huge Volvo Salvage yard, so I have replaced the following hoping to cure the problem: New OEM Cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plugs, battery, Mass Air Flow Sensor, Cam Postion Sensor, RPM Sensor, ECU. I'm about broke with the parts and the many trips to differnt repair shops.

I need help with the Car! Like I said it will not start in the am around the time I go to school, but when I come home for lunch at noon or so and it 60+ outside cranks ups great and loves to be driven.

Could it be the Fuel Pump or Filter?
  • techcoordtechcoord Posts: 2
    I am the guy whose 850R broke down on Easter Sunday...it turned out to be a bad fuel pump. $379.00 for the part, $75.00 for the tow and $50.00 to put it in. Car runs awesome now.
    This is a safe and reliable vehicle. I wish there were a better indicator of a failing fuel pump but overall this car is worth every penny (I mean dollar) I dump into it. Keep the faith.