Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    My mother's Tahoe gets better gas mileage than my Rubicon and about the same as our Grand Cherokee...
  • birdjaguarbirdjaguar Member Posts: 15
    My 4 banger se gets about 25 mpg on the highway. :) Not great, but it's the only vehicle I like to drive, so what can you do? Every time I drive it, it's like a mini vacation.
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    I used to drive a Honda Pelude. Got way better mileage (obviously) but it leaked every fluid known to man, as well as exhaust. I may not win any conservation awards driving my Wrangler, but it is the most environmentally friendly vehicle I've ever owned simply because it's the only new vehicle I've ever owned.

BTW, saw some news blurbs... The next Wrangler may have some kind of modular hard top with t-tops. Two and four door models.

And has anyone else seen the pics of the H4, Hummer's answer to the Wrangler? Looks kinda cool. Can't recall where I saw it, but I'll look around.

-Mike
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Yeah, I hear ya. I only have a 3 mile commute to work, so I don't go through a whole lot of gas, fortunately. :shades:
  • cbeascbeas Member Posts: 14
    Anyone have trouble with the rear wiper blade on the hardtop hitting the 3rd brake light housing? I upgraded my spare to a 31" BFG A/T while the soft top was on. Now that the hard top is on the wiper blade gets stuck between the window and the brake light. Any ideas to fix it?

Chad
  • highdeserthighdesert Member Posts: 12
    Chad,
    The wiper blade on my Unlimited had the same problem. The dealership had a special low-profile blade that they installed. It took care of the problem.
    Dennis
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I have that same size tire and don't have that problem, so that probably means it should be easy to correct........and if yours is an Unlimited then take note of the previous post.

If not, try letting some air out of the tire first, and if that doesn't work you may need some washers under the mounting studs to space the tire away from the brake light housing a little. There is a spacer available to mount the wheel further out and down, but that's usually only needed for a 33" tire.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    I just bought a Thule Roof Rack that attaches on the Wrangler hardtop rain gutters. According to Thule, it is okay to mount on the fiberglass top, so long as you only use it with ski/snowboard racks. I just installed it carefully, and will drive with it to work tomorow to evaluate it. One of the biggest deficiency a TJ has, is the inability to carry long items, like skiis. If this works out okay, it is a big improvement. Anybody with more extensive experience with this rain gutter rack. Your input is greatly appreciated.
    Bilstein is a premium shock absorber of a mono-tube design.
    It used as a special factory off-road package, on GM and Ford and even Jeeps in the recent past. I installed one on my TJ almost 6 months ago, and have enjoyed its excellent ride/handling characteristics. It usually cost $65 each compared to the $40 for a regular SUV shock. Not many Jeep owners use it,I think it has to do with its European origins, it is made in Germany.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Hello folks. I hope everyone had a fun weekend. A quick question: Anyone from the Northeast ( or similiar climate conditions) without a garage and only a soft top? I am curious about your impressions of winter life with your Jeep. Ice on windows, heat inside, visability, etc. I am thinking of leaving the HT off for the winter and go with the soft top. No garage. Something different. Thanks, John
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I don't qualify as a Nor-easterner, but I did have the Unlimited in Jackson last January, and we do get snow and cold weather up where we are (the temp this morning was actually below freezing, finally!). We didn't have much problem with the soft top last winter, or in Jackson. The heater works quite well down to about 0 F - after that, it seemed to struggle. Ice on the windows wasn't the problem I thought it would be, and I can't explain why. I was careful when brushing snow off and the plastic windows didn't seem to get all the ice on them that I had expected.
    I saw someone with a trailer-hitch mounted ski rack on the back of a Wrangler when I went skiing last summer (skis are held in a box vertically, rather than horizontally). I thought that was the most sensible way of doing it (my cross-country skis are short enough to fit in the back, so I haven't bothered with a rack).
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Well, since my 1999 Sahara is a Daimler Chrysler product, I try to keep it ALL German. Which is why I fitted Hella E-Code headlamps, MB Quart speakers, and Bilstein shocks. :P
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Definitely a problem for me too as a surfer. It'd be worse if I longboarded but I can fit a shortboard in the passenger side by reclining the seat and putting the tail down in the footwell, as long as the board is under 6'7" or so. Not sure how long your skis are though.
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    Well, I'm from Canada, so I definitely qualify as someone well-seasoned and experienced to the cold! ;)

It's been cold here in the mornings lately, and my soft top is holding up fine (97 tj), though I should point out that the top is only a few months old (not that that should have any significance). The heater warms the car in under five minutes--I really don't notice the Jeep being any colder than my parent's (I know...lol) van or car.

Before owning my Jeep, I owned a 'poor man's jeep' aka chevy tracker with a soft top. I used it for four winters without any trouble whatsoever--also, no frost or ice on windows, which I agree is rather mysterious...

I plan on my soft top to last many winters up here in Canada without any major inconvenience. My personal experience tells me that I have little to worry about.

Ryan
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Although I'm sure I'd get by fine with my soft top, I really like having the hard top on in the winter time. It's just a nice change to have real side and rear windows. Not to mention rear defrost and wiper. I have an older soft top, so the hard top is quite a bit quieter too.

Did you notice the weather people get to say "Nor'easter" already. (there's one moving toward the northeast) I think they look forward to saying that all summer and fall. :D

-Dan
    Greetings Mtngal, my backcountry Telmarks are awkwardly long for a hitch mount rack. I used to ski over at Mt. Pinos near your area. I got a hitch mount bike rack?Anyway the Thule system worked great today, minimal noise, no damage to the hardtop rain gutters, and easy to install and remove, So I don't have to return it to REI. Anyway I removed it after driving with it today, I only plan to use it probably four times this winter for skiing.
    My downhill skis are 180 cm and the Xcountry Telmarks are 220cm. I think it is shorter than your 6'7" surfboard. Anyway the thule system I bought worked okay today, easy to install and remove, and did not damage the rain gutters of the hardtop. You just have to be very careful in the installation. Removal is a snap. The Thule website says you can mount surfboards on its racks on a Jeep Wrangler, I think that is the maximum, anything heavier will damage the rain gutters.
    I sure wish we would have some snow - while I had a lovely time hiking all over Mt. Pinos last weekend, I sure wish I could snowshoe or ski over it. Come to think of it, I didn't try to get my skis into the Sport - just the Unlimited last year, so I don't know that they would fit in it. However, they are just regular cross-country ones, not telemarks, and I'm not very big so they are pretty short as skis go.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I put the top down at 5am this morning for drive to work 23 miles .......44 outside probably 35 windchill at 70mph......this afternoon is supposed to be nice at 80 degress. Figured i could take a little face and ear freezing to get in a nice top down afternoon after leaving work. This will probably be the last before spring as a cold front hits putting the high in the low 50's and 30's for the lows of the day plus rain for next week.

Well hope all the celebrate Thanksgiving have a good one.....take Care......Jeff/Dallas, Texas
    Is that Jackson Wyoming? Oh how i love that place....been there 6 years in a row......thinking of making a winter trip up this time...dont know though would really like to take a snowmobile trip through Yellowstone.......
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    dont know though would really like to take a snowmobile trip through Yellowstone.......

You can easily do both. Yellowstone is just over an hour's drive from Jackson.

tidester, host
    Yes - that was Jackson, Wyoming. I was there for a week this fall, too (I have family who lives sort of near there). We didn't see much this last trip - I spent most of it helping to clean out a garage. My hubby got real familiar with the local landfill and several thrift stores in town!

There are outfitters who do snowmobile day trips that go from Jackson into Yellowstone - I'd love to do that. They do other trips to other out-of-the-way places around Jackson. It's a great place to visit any time of the year, and our soft top Wrangler didn't have any problems getting around (we even had the OEM tires on then and didn't feel a need for chains). The "road" into where we were is dirt, and while there is someone who plows it, it was snow covered and occasionally icy while we were there in January.
    Nice ya have someone that live close, I do not, :-( I rented a wrangler last time i was there and took that offroad trail just to the east of the Tetons but west of Snake River......it was about 17 miles long. There was only two places were yould would need a 4x4 but just to have the top down sitting with the snake on one side and the tetons on the other and seeing several eagles it was increadible....if i won the lotto thats where im heading...lol...
    Mtngal, 99tj and barn 69, I appreciate your responses. Should be an interesting winter. I was in the Berkshires (Mass. ) yesterday and came thru 4" of snow and then freezing rain. The new tires had their test and passed with flying colors. Go Easy, John
  • 06tj4banger06tj4banger Member Posts: 39
    Just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving and God bless you guy's!

-Rob
  • jeepster98jeepster98 Member Posts: 1
    Last night when checking the fuse and starting my 98 it sparked. I tried 3 times and it kept blowing the fuses. I found out this morning it's the computer, even after replacing the ignition key. What's up with that? Anyone ever had this problem. I've had my share eventhough I love it :blush: , thinking I should just sell, only has 60,000 miles.
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Drive those Wranglers safely over the long weekend!

One last thing about soft tops and hard tops in the winter. I only have the soft top on my Unlimited, so I don't have a choice about tops. It's not a big deal to go throught the winter with it on at all. However, if I had dual tops, I'd be putting the hard top on for the winter, especially if I had no plans to go somewhere I would want the top down. Not having to deal with the soft top's back window bar would be worth the aggrevation of putting the hard top on.
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Happy Thanksgiving!

Hearing all you guys talk about winter, I'm thankful for L.A. weather.

-Mike :shades:
    I sometimes wished I bought the Unlimited instead with automatic transmission. I think we won't be getting snow until late December. I now live in Moreno Valley, too far from Mt. Pinos, I have to settle for Green Valley Lake in San Bernardino for X-country, and the snow pack is not deep like in Mt. Pinos. I found a new use for my Telmarks, I use them while pulling my daughter on a sled on the local trails. I think the Unlimited will become a classic like the CJ-8. Only a 2 1/2 year production until the new 4 door comes out middle of next year.
    Well, I just learned something - I always thought that Mt. Pinos was the only place for X-country skiing in SoCal. My first X-country experience was at Bear Valley in the Sierras - lovely groomed trails, etc. Nothing like that up here.

Moreno Valley is warmer than up here - there are a couple of guys at work who live there and commute every day to West LA.

We started driving the Unlimited this week, after driving the Sport for the last couple of months. Usually when I go from a manual to an auto I reach for the clutch. This time I kept reaching for the shift. I don't know if I prefer it or not - the Sport really is more fun to drive. And the Unlimited's gas mileage hasn't improved at all (sigh).
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    My friends, I have a new Jeep Buddy. His name is Hank, and he came from the same Humane Society animal shelter that Ross Allen came from. I picked him up Tuesday late afternoon.

No dog will EVER replace my Rossie Pup. I will grieve for Ross until the day I die. He was a once in a lifetime doggy, and I don't expect any other dog to ever mean as much to me as he did. We were truly soulmates.

I know that I will come to love Hank, and that love has already started to grow. He won't take Ross's place in my heart, but he will have a place of his own.

I took him Jeepin' yesterday, and he was VERY good. I think he enjoyed it. I believe I have myself a good Jeep Dog!

I still thought about Ross and cried a couple times, though, because Jeepin' was OUR thing. Ross was with me the first time I ever went off road, and he was with me all but three times that I can think of out of all the times that I have been wheelin', which must be at least two hundred times.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?

For those who have not seen Ross Allen's website, here's the link.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay53/

Here are a some pics of Hank. He's with my little granddaughter, Payton, in the first one.

Hank's just chillin' on Thelma Jane's passenger seat in this one.

Hank hung in there with me when the left side tires slipped down into the middle of the gully and Thelma Jane was leaned over pretty good.

I'm going to let Hank be Hank. He does not have to live in Ross Allen's shadow. I'll accept and love Hank for who he is.

Tom
  • bobcat82bobcat82 Member Posts: 13
    Tom,

Congratulations on your new Jeep buddy! :)

I was thinking about you on Thanksgiving day, wondering if a new puppy would be in your future. I'm happy to see pictures of you and Hank - especially wheeling!

History doesn't change, but we do well to remember it. The future is unknown, yet we yearn for it. Today, however, we live both.

Art...
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    Tom,

Good to hear from you again, and especially good to see your new Jeep bud! You sure do have a knack for picking out beautiful shotgun riders!

I'm sure Ross Allen is looking down fondly at your new friend, and if he could, he would be telling Hank all the great things about wheelin' and how to enjoy Turkey Bay (and warning him of the temptations of McDonald's ;).

I hope you have many, many years of fun and companionsip with your new pup!

Ryan

PS: No sign of fear as Hank looks straight down at the ground as Thelma Jane shifts 90 degrees--he's gonna make a good Jeep dog, no question!
  • jeepemjeepem Member Posts: 10
    I'm finally back into looking at Unlimiteds, the local dealer has exactly the one I want, with the only exception of missing the security group.

Is the security group worth worrying about (auto dimming mirror, sentry key..) or should I forget about it and look into after-market mirrors.

Also, is this usually the best time to lease a Jeep? It seems like the winter gives you more rebates than spring/summer. (except year-end).

Last thing (i think), is having an automatic really that much better & easier than manual. I would think the manual would be more fun, but am afraid that it would get old fast, and then wish I had gotten the auto...

If I can think of any more ?, I'll post them, just want to make sure I get what I want.

Thanks
    Congrats Tom!!! Hank looks like a good dog. Seems to have good balance when Jeepin'. Have fun with your new buddy. Go fur it. John
    Auto or manual is a personal choice. I like the manual but get what makes you happy. Go Easy, John
    Jeepem:

You currently have a short wheelbase TJ, right?

The sentry key is supposed to be a VERY good theft deterrent. Mike, a member out in LA who has not posted in a long time, experienced two attemtped thefts of his Jeep, and Sentry Key prevented the theft each time.

Not sure if Sentry Key would be something the dealer could install or not. If so, you could make that part of your deal, along with the mirror as well.

That manual vs auto thing is strictly personal preference. It would depend a lot on your driving conditions, I suppose. I think it might get pretty tiresome dealing with the clutch in stop and go driving, like in a big city.

Tom
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    The mirror is one of those things that you never miss until you have one, then you can't imagine life without it. However, it's an easy aftermarket add-on.

However, the Sentry Key is a different matter. It's a very effective theft prevention device which is virtually impossible to bypass out on the street. It will often get you a discount on your insurance as well. It can be retro-fitted by a dealer, but it's expensive in both parts and labor.

Manual vs Auto is a purely personal thing, with the very long list of pros and cons about equal.

Finally, for the last few years no logic can be applied to the discounts available on new vehicles. Just get the best deal available at the time you want to buy.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    My roommate, with the help of some relatives, finally got around to installing the hard top for the winter on his 2001 Wrangler Sport. Problem is, it seems like the rear wiper and defrost were plugged in incorrectly or backwards or something. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the Owner's Manual any more, so I don't know what to do about this--don't want to go through a Chicago winter without those working. Anyone have any experience with this? I imagine it's an easy fix, but I don't know what I need to do. Any help is appreciated.
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Just check the plug very carefully. It's kind of a pain to get the plug from the top to the body apart, and I would imagine very easy to break it. If you have a tester, you can check for continuity on either side of the plug. I've never had to do this, but it should be fairly easy since the wires are accessible.
  • jeepemjeepem Member Posts: 10
    Right now I have an Explorer. I had ordered an '05 Unlimited in May this year, but had problems getting it. The dealer said it fell off the truck, something electronically wrong with it, or something. So I've been busy with work and haven't had time to start looking again.

I was looking at other options (Durango, Mountaineer, Milan), but I can get the Chrysler employee price, which makes the Wrangler even more appealing than all others.

I'll ask about the mirror and key, but as someone said, it may be expensive and I may have to order the thing again(see above).

I'll have to test-drive both, but I'm concerned about manuals, b/c I haven't driven one in years. like riding a bike hopefuly....

Thanks
  • jritzenjritzen Member Posts: 2
    Saw your reply in the forum and thought you could help :confuse:

I am looking to install fog lights on my 04 wrangler and understand just about everything except: 1.) Where and how do I connect the white wire-- do i splice into the headlight wiring and if so, which wire and where? 2.) Where in the dash area do I mount the switch that comes with the kit? 3.) Do I feed the wires from under the dash via the available hole with the rubber stopper in it?

Thanks! :)
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    Speaking as someone who has a 04 sport with the new 4 speed (overdrive) automatic transmission; I believe it is an individual thing. I live So Cal so I like the auto because of the traffic. I own property in the local mountains and I am in the planning stage of building a home and have had to make a number of trips up and down the hill. I turn off the overdrive and use the different gears and have no complaints about the auto.

The manual may be more fun, but I enjoy the auto as well. Plus I do not have to worry about the clutch when I am in extreme driving conditions. As a side thought, I would not have this opinion if DC still used the 3 speed transmission they used to use.

Glen
    I haven't been around much on this Thanksgiving weekend, I've been visiting family. Now that I'm crawling into Baker (it's not even noon and the traffic is mostly stopped going into Baker) I have some time to talk about a couple of things.

Tom - your new buddy is very cute. It looks like he's not going to be as big as RA was, but he's definitely cute. How old is he?

Auto vs. manual - driving a manual is more or less like riding a bike - it doesn't take much to get back into the habit of driving one (we had had autos for at least 5 years before we bought the '98 Sport with it's manual tranny, and we didn't have any problems.

It's a personal thing (as others have said). But right now I'm REALLY glad we're driving the auto Unlimited! I can't believe I didn't take tomorrow off so I could avoid the I-15 parking lot/crawl between Vegas and LA!
  • yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    I must be wired backwards, but I prefer my manual YJ in traffic rather than my auto tranny minivan. In the minivan I continuously shuffle between the gas and the brakes - can't seem to find a speed that crawls along slowly enough. In the YJ, however, I just choose the proper gear (sometimes first or second) and idle along. First is so low that I can use it without the clutch even if the traffic is just inching along. The minivan just won't go that slowly at idle. From my motorcycle days, I know enough to slip into neutral and let up the clutch if I have to stop for more than a few seconds (and I turn the motor off if I think the stop will last a minute or more). I enjoy rowing through the gears - it's the auto tranny that gets old quickly for me.

Since you got me to respond, I might as well refer back to post 20312. "Birdjaguar" noted up to 25 mpg in his 4-cylinder wrangler. I thought I was the only one getting anywhere north of 20 mpg (my best is 24-25 mpg, also in a 2.5L I-4).

And Tom, congratulations on your new Jeep buddy. Nothing can take the place of RA, but you will find room in your heart to accept your new pal. Hearts are bigger and more capable of love than we give them credit for.

All the best to all of you in this forum.

Bob
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    Have you tried putting the minivan into first gear?

When I come down the mountain I will use my lower gears to avoid using the brake too much.
    Tom, that's really great. I have no doubt that Hank will be a great companion to you. How did he handle Buttpucker Gulch?
    Go fur it...KB2 always a card...