Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado Problems

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    for #2 get the steering shaft replaced it will do a worlds of wonder

for #3 check this out could be your problem

http://tommy3z71.homestead.com/spring_insulators.html

Ryan

• Ryan - thanks for the tip on the spring insulators. I printed the spring info and plan on calling the dealer (still under warranty)tomorrow to set up an appointment for the steering shaft and spring isolators.

This will be fun - the dealer's going to love this...

Mike
  • sds292sds292 Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Silverado LS with the 4.8 V8 with 8300 miles. My oil light has come on several times and then gone off after a cooling period. When I check my oil only a drop shows on the stick, but when I change the oil much more than a quart comes out. I am afraid to just keep adding oil till it shows full. Problem with dipstick? (the truck or me:})
  • 4x4man4x4man Posts: 222
    If your check oil light is coming on, it is at least a qt low, I believe that is when it comes on.
    If you only have a drop of oil on the tip of the dipstick, then it is LOW!!
    There is a spot on the dipstick that says Low or Min then some crosshatch area or a series of holes then a Max or Full at the top. You want it either at Full or somewhere in between.
    The reason more than a qt comes out when you change the oil is all 5 or whatever qts are coming out, the dipstick only measures like 1.5-2 qts or so...

Bob
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    You said when you change oil more than a quart comes out, what is the level on dipstick after you change oil & filter and add the prescribed amount?? If it reads full or within the hash marks you should be OK but the use sounds like an issue. Are you checking the oil level on level ground and at least 30 minutes after shutting off engine to allow for drainback?? What's the dealer telling you ? You could have a faulty sender unit or even a bad dipstick or worse case scenario an engine that's eating oil (if that case you should see either puddles on ground or a blue smoke trail behind you. The 5.3 motor takes 6 quarts on a complete change I'm not sure about the 4.8 but the manual tells you that.

Ray T.
  • hallcchallcc Posts: 1
    I'm happy to report that I can no longer refer to my 2001 1500HD Crew Cab as a Shakerado. Below is the letter I just wrote to the dealer I purchased it from, but won't be taking it back to. Good luck to those who are still shaking - hope this helps.

Joseph Gerrity III
    Salisbury Chevrolet
    175 Freemans Bridge Rd
    Scotia, NY 12302-3510

Dear Mr. Gerrity:

In April of this year, I purchased from Salisbury, a fully loaded, 2001 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab pickup. I chose Salisbury for two reasons. First, convenience; I live only about 1 mile away, and as I plan to keep this truck for many years, yours would be one of the most convenient dealerships for service. The second reason would be Joe Hathaway. I have purchased from him before, and my father had also purchased several vehicles from him. He had always treated us fairly, so by extension, I expected the rest of the dealership to treat me fairly as well. I'm sorry to report though, that was not the case.

Shortly after taking delivery, I began to notice a severe vibration coming from the rear end while driving on smooth pavement at speeds of 40-45 mph. I first brought the vehicle back with just over 1,000 miles on it. Your service department balanced all 4 tires and claimed it was fixed. It was not. When I brought it in for the second time, your service department balanced the tires again, and once again told me that should take care of the problem. Once again, it did not. The third time I returned, I had one of your service people ride with me, to make sure they understood the exact nature of my complaint. He agreed that the vibration was unacceptable and that they would take further steps to correct the problem. The diagnosis then shifted to the transmission. They felt that at the problem speeds, the truck was not downshifting soon enough, and therefore the engine was bucking from being in too high a gear. They down loaded the latest firmware upgrade, but that still did not help the situation. Their only suggestion was to wait and hope that Chevrolet came out with newer firmware revision that would solve this. I was not pleased with this answer, so I spoke to Joe Hathaway to see if he could be of any assistance in getting this taken care of before I took steps toward BBB arbitration.

Joe suggested that I contact Ralph Foster, your Service Manager, which I did. We set a date for me to bring the truck in (for the fourth time), which was coincident with a visit from Ralph's District Manager. When I picked up the truck, I was told by Ralph, that there was no problem with the truck. That it was a heavy-duty truck, and that was the way it was supposed to ride, especially empty. I told him that I did not expect it to ride like a Cadillac, and that I didn't mind feeling every little bump in the road. I did however object to the truck creating its own bumps on perfectly smooth roads. I also had done significant research on the web (Mine is not apparently, the only "Shakerado" out there), and tried to explain to Ralph, the additional tests (namely the use of an Electronic Vibration Analyzer (EVA) to pinpoint the source of the vibration, and a load force balancing of the wheels, which can detect radial force variations in the tires not just the unevenness of the weighting.) Ralph would hear none of this. He said that the information I gathered was a load of crap, that he would not waste his time on an EVA, and that it could not possibly be the tires. It was just riding like a heavy-duty truck (They all ride like that, he said), and that I should just live with it.

Fortunately, I decided not to just live with it. On advice from the Chevy Customer Assistance center, I took it to DePaula Chevrolet, where I'm happy to report, I was treated with courtesy and respect. By this time, an exhaust rattle had developed (I believe the excessive vibration contributed to loosening things up a bit), and I needed to have the computer reset to turn off the change oil idiot light, which the technician at Salisbury had forgotten to do. Mark VanDenburgh, Shop Forman, had the exhaust repaired, the computer reset then performed EVA as I requested. It showed that the vibration was coming from the rear wheels, and that he would arrange for the tires to be load force balanced to see if they might be the cause. While they did not have the balancing machine themselves, he offered to find one in the area. From my "load of crap" research I told him that Gil's Garage was the closest establishment with such a machine. Mark had a PO cut and I took it to Gil's where they found both rear tires measured over 50% above the acceptable limits for radial force variation. Mark immediately ordered new tires and within a few days, my truck was driving like it should have driven, right off your lot (or at least out of your service department in less than four trips!)
    I feel that as owner, you should be aware of how staff is representing you to your customers. I would like to think that this experience is not typical of your service department, but I am quite reluctant to continue with them long enough to find out. I would prefer to trade where good (even excellent) customer service is not considered a waste of time.
  • mwillemwille Posts: 15
    Just wanted to pass along a problem I had with an anoining squek for the rear. Turns out the spare tire was alittle loose and was rubbing against the under side of the bed. Hope that helps others
  • mwillemwille Posts: 15
    what happened to my spell check????
  • minikinminikin Posts: 389
    Carlie ate it!
    -- Don
  • I purchased the truck last august from a dealer in
    port land Maine forest city chevy.Iam very happy with my truck best truck i ever drove,there are
    some small problems were my speedometer is the
    glass cracked this summer when it was hot out and my a/c was on,my tranny slips every so often,my
    taillite lens cover is loose,it won`t tighten
    down and my front bumper is rusting from behind.
    I love my truck but for 26,762.00 invoice there
    should not be any of these problems,also one more
    problem my under hood lite never worked.I have
    31,000 on it already i might buy the extended
    warranty.Has any one out there have any of these
    problems please let me know,i am going to a dealer
    before my warrany runs out
  • smith53smith53 Posts: 72
    apparently you have about the same truck as i do. my under hood lite is sporadic in its operation(this is the second light,the first one was the same)why didnt they stay with the magnetic base lite on a reel like on my 96. i have the 40/20/40 cloth seats. the cloth on the drivers seat is either loose or stretched and the springs pop every time you sit down.
  • eric2001eric2001 Posts: 482
    So are you keeping the HD? BTW, hi neighbor... Live around the corner, got my CC from Capitaland, Salisbury couldn't get what I wanted, but Tommy O. was great to deal with.

-Eric
  • On a executive driven vehicle with 5,000 miles on it would the dealer pay the destination fee or would the person buying the vehicle have to pay the fee? My 02 rado 5.3 3.73 extended is doing great no engine noise yet, not bad on gas 15.83 with mixed driving only have 800 miles on it they all should be this good!!
  • I have a 2001 Silverado LS with 4500 miles and I absolutely love this truck. I had been reading about the piston slap problem but I had'nt heard it until I changed my oil at 3000. I decided to try a little test and put the old oil that came with the motor from the factory back in, and no more noise on startup. Ran this oil for another 100 miles and I drained it and went to a Ac Delco Ultraguard Gold UPF 59 and Valvoline 5W30 fully synthetic synpower oil. The start up noise is back. What does GM put in they're new motors to stop this noise? Is it just the combo of assembly lube and oil or what?
    Thanks for the reply Ray. Yes I check the oil on a level surface and wait at least 30 minutes, in fact I try to check it in the morning prior to starting or running for the day. I stopped by the local dealer before heading out of town for the weekend, and was told 1 qt every 3000 miles is normal. While I have not owned a new Chevy before I have owned plenty of vehicles and I have never thought 1 qt every 3K is normal. There is no evidence of smoke on starting or when shifting down. There are no puddles on the ground or evidence of leaks on the frame or suspension. The dealer says that Chevy calls for 5 qts on an oil change, but that it actually takes 51/2. When I change the oil the level is at the top of the dipstick, but by the time 3k is up it is all the way down to the bottom. Adding one qt brings it back up to normal on the dipstick. I also seem to have the infamous knock or slap that others are writing about. It looks like a long road ahead with many stops at the dealership.........
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    I was talking with a very good GM mechanic the other day and asked him about some of the stories I have read about how some of these engines use oil. My 6.0L uses no measurable oil between changes. His explanation was that because of the materials being used in the rings on these new engines, the "seating" process takes much longer than before. He also stated that these "oil burners" represent a very small percentage of the engines built and that GM only wants to watch them for the first 10-15K miles as most of them will seat in and stop consuming oil by that time. He also said that on the plus side, the material being used should allow much higher mileage before a ring job is needed. Now, he had no reason to blow smoke because, as I said, I have no problems. I have used this guy for several years and he has always been straight with me.

Side Note: Check the horn mounted in the right front fender, down low behind the park light. If it is pointing with the horn opening facing up, turn it around and point it down. This was a screw up at assembly and if not corrected, the horn will catch and hold water causing the horn to fail. He said they have seen a bunch of these and when replacing they always install the new horn pointing down and have no more problems.

Jim
    Thanks for the reply Ray. Yes I check the oil on a level surface and wait at least 30 minutes, in fact I try to check it in the morning prior to starting or running for the day. I stopped by the local dealer before heading out of town for the weekend, and was told 1 qt every 3000 miles is normal. While I have not owned a new Chevy before I have owned plenty of vehicles and I have never thought 1 qt every 3K is normal. There is no evidence of smoke on starting or when shifting down. There are no puddles on the ground or evidence of leaks on the frame or suspension. The dealer says that Chevy calls for 5 qts on an oil change, but that it actually takes 51/2. When I change the oil the level is at the top of the dipstick, but by the time 3k is up it is all the way down to the bottom. Adding one qt brings it back up to normal on the dipstick. I also seem to have the infamous knock or slap that others are writing about. It looks like a long road ahead with many stops at the dealership.........
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    Both of my Silverado's take 6 quarts with each oil change. When you change oil and the dipstick reads full, does it read full before you start the engine and fill the oil filter? Or does it read full after the engine has been run?

1Qt/3000 miles is acceptable oil consumption for any manufacturer. Not desireable, but acceptable.
    Most Silverado engines don't use that much, but due to manufacturing tolerances, some will.

My concern is that you are only putting in 5 1/2 qts. Then 3000 miles later you are a quart low. To me it seems more like you are getting 3000 miles to 1/2 quart.

Mike L
  • Are there any readers out there with this model year and engine? I am close to purchasing one and was wondering if there are major problems. I have heard that there are problems with cold starts and I am worried about the life of the engine. Currently the vehicled has 65k miles on it. I was able to contact the original owner and he pointed this out to me. Although this is high mileage the vehicle is clean. Also, I have seen mention of Chevy actually replacing these. Any suggestions. Would love to hear from satisfied/dis-satisfied owners of this vehicle. Thank you very much.

phishcranium@excite.com
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    may or may not help but i have a 00 5.3 Z71. Love it. Great engine
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    had a different cam from the '00 not to mention the excessive mileage. And of course it being the first model year.
  • seeligseelig Posts: 590
    the '99 is down a little on power as compared to '00 and on (although you most likely won't notice it), and not sure what you are paying for it, but a used mid year '00 is going for about the same price, and more than likely has the 4th door. there were quite a few '99s that haad a lot of nuisance problems.
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    I have a 99, and my dad has traded his 99 in (for a '00). Both trucks had no problems, the engines run great, get good mileage.

Mileage isn't much of an issue if regular maintainence is performed. Double check with the previous owner about that. If he did oil change when needed (oil minder light comes on) I wouldn't worry about it.

Mike L
    one more thing.......since you are able to talk to the previous owner, ask them about fuel mileage.......let us know.
    BTW.....by all means, avoid the 4.8 from that year with that kind of mileage.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    about the "by all means avoid the 4.8 from that year with that kind of mileage". I put over 28k on my '99 with never a hint of any problems. Great gas mileage and never used any oil. I was led to believe it was the best of the new GM engines. (although maybe in '99 that wasn't saying much)
  • Thanks everyone for the advice. I walked away from the deal because of the high mileage and the fact that I think I could get a '00 for the same price or maybe just a little more. I spoke with the orig. owner. He traded it for 15k and I got the dealer down to 16888. (Dealer put new tires on it, new headlight, and had to fix the abs) I doubt they were making much on it. Because of the issues with the '99 like shaking and the engine I had to walk away. Will keep an eye out for something else. Thanks again everyone!
    glad to see you made the right choice......
    good luck on your search for the '00.....
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Truck went in last week for squeak sound coming from front suspension when backing up slowly, seperation of the material from the seat padding, and verification of the engine knock. Needless to say none of the above were fixed simply due to not being able to duplicate, cept for the seat cover which the dealer wanted me to take it back to the upholstery shop that did the original work. So....we had a meeting in the parking lot with the service advisor, the shop foreman and an aggressive salesperson. We'll get to the salesman later. We were able to verify the suspension noise in two minutes. The knock, it comes and goes, so I told the shop foreman, since I got 100k miles, we can hold that one for another day. The seat was inexcusable. I told them had they listened to me and ordered a new seat from day one, we would not have this problem today. However, since they insist on repairing it locally they should take it back to the upholstery shop and not me. No arguments there. Here's where the aggressive salesman comes in.
    The guy wants to sell me a '01 HDCC with the GM incentive program ongoing, it seemed like an alternative. Truck, I noticed has sat on the lot for 4 months and obviously costing the company money. So we take it out for a spin and he wants me to fill a credit app. Told him I will finance through my company and to talk to his F&I guy who already knows me. Now being that salesmen don't listen to what their potential customers are saying goes back to the sales manager who sends him back to me with a credit app. By now we've wasted an hour and a half with the service department watching to see if they are taking my truck in on a trade. Well, I get up and walk over to the sale managers office, open the door, and told him that he has to be one of the most dumbest of dumba$$e$, cause he can't understand how I intended to buy the truck and his dumba$$ salesman didn't talk to the F&I manager. The GM of the dealership was walking by and I figured I may as well have a word for him too. Long story short. Truck is back in again at the service department and the HDCC is still on the lot collection dust.

Did I mention I also took the Denali in to replace the Onstar? Well, I received this memo from GM to make an appointment to have the Onstar unit replaced. Called the GMC dealer to make sure they have one in stock and appointment set for last Friday. Told by GM letter should take about an hour to do, dealer asked for four to be safe. Well, get the truck back and they state that they have to order an Onstar unit to perform the campaign. I told them thats why its in on Friday as I had called on Monday to make sure it was in. Well at least these guys didn't try to sell me a GMC HDCC.....sometime ya just gotta wonder where everyone left their brains.....so now the GMC dealer has called back saying that they have one in stock. Could it be the one that they couldn't have found last week? Dam if I know or care anymore. Will I ever buy another GM product? Hmmmm, careful thinking required on this one. One thing's for sure tho....ain't buying no POS Tundra.
    my LB with the 34 gal tank has gone 530 miles, and the guage reads 7/8 full. the service department had the balls to tell me that the fuel guage is just for reference to the fact that fuel is in the tank, and that my truck is operating within specs.....LOL........went to the owner where i deal, and he totally blew a cork. wanna guess what the results were?
    another thing that gets me about chevy dealerships is their oh so honest pricing for services. 1 dealer is 219.00 bucks for front end alignment, a 2nd is 129.00, and yet a third is 50 bucks.......needless to say, i found an independent that has been recommended by three tire dealers for the lump sum of 55 bucks.
    oh yeah, 1 of the dealers says the front wheel bearings need repacking and the other two claim the bearings on our half ton trucks are permanently sealed...makes ya wonder eh?
This discussion has been closed.