Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado Problems

Comments

• seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    especially when going through drive throughs, but i quit worrying about it, cause GM fixed me up with one of there 5/100k shut him up plans. LOL.............fine for the '00, but it'll be sold before it hits 100k miles. my '01 however, is quieter, but has this annoying thing called ping-a-long. dealer said same thing, some do it and some don't. ha...........now i'm told that the prom in the computer may be off..........wants me to go for the extended warranty from GM on this one too. i'm thinking buyback or new truck is more the answer. good luck with yours, but if the dealer will back you up on the knocking, you might give the BBB a try. when they get involved, GM suddenly clears their ears.
  • greyfox99greyfox99 Member Posts: 5
    I would like to hear what service/repair I should Insist on having the dealer perform on my '99 based on TSB's and your knowledge of problems reported here, etc.

I had my '99 Silverado Lt Extended Cab 4WD in for Service today. With 20 Miles left on the Warranty.
    I asked them to check everything out and especially anything they would have done to it if it were their truck based on past problems they have seen and TSB's. Maybe that's nieve of me but, the service Guy has been straight up with me in the past and not recommended any crapola, so dare I say I trust him?
    Based on some postings on this board when I took it in I did note:
    #1 Rough Running at Start up when cold ( so I left overnight and they put a monitor on it and fired her up next day and said no problems noted)
    #2 Wind noise in rear passenger windows - to which
    they indicated they "Tightened" some molding behind driver side
    #3 A finicky heater control (difficult to get comfortable either too hot or nearly cool) - they tested temp on full half and another position and said they had variable temperature readings thus OK
    #4 Noted the "clunking" though this has only occured once since the "Fluid Flush refill" and asked for the new Yolk - On Order to replace when it arrives.

Well I picked it up today and the darn thing stalled out on me at a light 8 miles form the dealer (first time anything like this has ever happened) - Called the Service guy on the phone and he said may be due to injection cleaning (not dry?) and he told me to let him know if not Ok tomorrow. Does anyone know if that could have been the cause? (And was I a sucker for spending $90 on this??)

But my primary question is this,with my warranty near expiration, what do I want to be sure gets corrected?

I am going back through the posting now but a slow process, some of you experienced guys/gals can probably rattle the main ones off.
    Any guidance is appreciated!! Thank you

Other background on me and the truck..
    My first glimpse of a Silverado was about (May/June?) of '98 on the Chevy web site when they sneak previewed the new body style, sort of masked with a bunch of add ons so you couldn't really tell what it looked like (if my recollection is right it looked more like the avalanche in those previews), I kept checking and reading until they finally released the "real" pictures and colors, knew I had to have one and special orderd it in Feb '99 got It in May '99.
    It's been great so far, with just the inconvenience of the few recalls, seat belts, brake pipe, etc. But really Love it it and have babied it. The only "service" I have had has been the standard recommended stuff. I hope this is a truck that will last as long as my '91 S-10, which now has 192K but is about pooped, fouling plugs, and burning oil etc. but hey I've got my money's worth out of it!!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Here's one for ya:

File In Section: 08 - Body and Accessories

Bulletin No.: 99-08-48-001A

Date: September, 2000

Subject:
    Wind Noise from Body Side Quarter Window (Replace Body Side Quarter Window Assembly)

Models:
    1999-2000 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Extended Cab Pickup Models (Silverado and Sierra) Built Prior to February 1, 2000

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2000 model year, remove service procedures, and change the part numbers. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-08-48-01 (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment on wind noise coming from either of the body side quarter windows while driving with the quarter windows closed. The wind noise may be more noticeable at speeds over 56 km/h (35 mph).

Cause

An insufficient seal of the window frame to the body or an improper window latch length may cause this condition.

Correction

A new body side quarter window kit is available to correct this condition. This window kit includes the window frame and glass, three frame centering screws that reinforce the sealing of the window frame to the body, and an instruction sheet. The window frame also features a reinforcement latch tab to improve latch efforts and function.

Replace the applicable body side quarter window on affected vehicles. Use the appropriate part number listed below.

Refer to the applicable Service Manual for quarter window removal and additional installation procedures. Also refer to the instruction sheet provided with the window kit for installation information.

Parts number:

Parts Information

Parts are expected to be available from GMSPO on 9-18-00.

You can check here for a list and see what matches.....

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/11/991136FY.html
  • hrobinsonhrobinson Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2002 Silverado extended cab with a 5.3 engine. Is there anything I can do to get more horsepower from this engine and make it run better.(ex cold air induction) Has anyone done anything and did it help?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    one option is a K&N fipk gen 2. It says itll add alot of HP but dont believe it. I doubt you would see a large increase if any at all.
    but at least it will make a loud sucking sound....
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    a reeeeal loud sucking sound..........i thought you picked up ponies after installing one of Ryan's special stickers.
  • frontier3frontier3 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2002 Silverado LS w/4.8 , it has 1100 miles on it, I bought with 5 miles on it, just took it in for the first service call. Since I have driven trouble free for 20+ years driving compact Toyotas and Nissans, I decided I wanted a bigger and more powerfull truck, however I have to say when driving the imports off the showroom floor , I never took them back for anything other than a oil change, maybe I got lucky. I generally keep my vehicles for 80,000 miles. Anyway, to my questions.
    1.) During the first 5-6 miles of driving the truck doesn't want to shift into over drive and when it does, it gradually shifts( not like my dad's 92 that when it shifts it will jar your teeth. Dealer tells me that this is normal because the tranny needs to warm up.
    Is this true??
    2.) When it is cold (below 28 degrees F) when the truck reaches a speed of 25 miles mph the tranny seems to whine, kinda of like the sound oversize tires make on a rough road, after you accelerate through it it goes away, after the vehicle is driven a few miles and is warm the problem won't repeat. Also if you acelerate quickly you don't hear the whine either, but since I don't lay rubber in my driving habits the whine rather annoys me and summer is a ways off.Has anybody else experienced this? Since I haven't bought American since my Chevy Vega fell apart 28 years ago, I thought I would re-vist the domestic scene.
    PS: to the Tundra guys, I think the Tundra is a bit crampy and the "Rado is much more comfortable, but hey, what do I know, I've been in a compact for so long I didn't know how nice it felt to stretch out.
    1. True
    2. True
    all normal. It does this to let the tranny warm up. Causes less damage. It runs in a "safe mode"

Has been happening on my truck for 2 yrs with no problems just gotta let it warm up
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    and noticed it took a long time to hit OD. Dealer couldn't tell me why, but that's kinda what I figured after I realized it always did it.
  • frontier3frontier3 Member Posts: 3
    Would like to Thank those who repsonded to my transmission questions. Overall for my first month of service I really can't complain about the truck. It rides smooth and the 4.8 has plenty of power for a guy coming out of a 4 banger.
  • greyfox99greyfox99 Member Posts: 5
    The bulletin on wind noise and the additoinal list, it is most helpful....Service guy here said that the main body man was out sick or something and that I would be better off to try back next week. While I still belive there is noise comming from that rear window, I believe the nuisance noise I am hearing may be comming from the driver's side door moulding, going to check it out and try a few things to see.
    Still wondering if that Fuel injection cleaning was worth the $90? But I guess that's sunk now anyhow.

Thanks again,
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    My 4.3 V-6 is making a lot of noise at idle again in my 99 Blazer. I posted in the Blazer and S10 section but did get any help and I think this is a common problem. When it was under warranty the dealer replaced a tensioner or pulley last time it was making noise. I can't tell from the paper work what was replaced last time. I should the swap parts off my 2k Silverado!! My question is, what goes bad, the idler pulley, the tensioner pulley or the tensioner?
  • truck96truck96 Member Posts: 22
    I am new to the forum, so 1st I'd lke to say hello and 2nd ask a question about my 1996 350 vortec engine. I have always heard of the knocking problem but my truck didn't have enough of a knocking sound to bother me, UNTIL recently it just hit 60,000 miles and oil pressure has not changed but when cold the knock is getting more pronouced and the knock sound speeds up with engine rpm as you are taking off and stops shortly after warming up. It sounds more like piston slap to me and the sound is worse when it is cold outside. I live in the south so it ain't to cold and I have always used 10w30 oil changed at 3,000 miles. Is this a serious problem or will it last a long time. Like I said since about 55,000 miles it has started to get louder and last longer than the use to be 3 to 4 seconds now seems to be like a minute or so.
  • prd1prd1 Member Posts: 4
    i bought a 2000 silverado new after selling my 92 corolla big mistake. its now got 18000 miles on it and am starting to see some things like rattles engine knock 4.8. tranny slip elec problems driver side window not working sometimes. power steering whine that is driving me nuts.
    have you taken it in to the dealership for any of the above problems?
    no not yet but i need an oil change in the next 1000 miles and will address them when i go. i understand that new vehicles have some bugs but there seems to be alot of them on these trucks i did have a few problems on my toy but not untill after about 98000 miles.
    after reading all the stuff in these letters its funny that i dont seem to have the same problems as most other owners are having such as wind noise and vibration problems. hope i dont later.
    on my '99, but all I have with 'he '01 is the notorious expansion joint "Bounce". 1 yr+ and 15,000 miles.
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    To reduce that bounce, you might try to get some feed or dog food sacks, put about 75 pounds of sand in them and put them in the back of the bed. They are easy to move out if you need the space for a load. Even if you leave them behind, you have lost nothing. I carry about 300 pounds and it significantly reduces the bounce. I went to Calif. at about 7000 GVW and came back with 7500 GVW - not all due to sand - and it was not a bad ride at all.. I have a Line-X bedliner and those feedsacks have never moved - maybe I haven't hit the brakes hard enough yet. I keep detailed records and I can't see any difference at all on gas mileage.
    cowboyjohn
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    RE Post 1820
    TSB #00-07-30-006 for Stall/Surge at Stop or When Shifting to Drive or Reverse (Install Updated Calibration)
    The geocities site does not seem to work anymore for some reason.

Ray T.
    that crackeregg site no longer works. Many people think GM had something to do with it. They stepped in and shut it down

&*^$#*&#^#*&^$
    cause it gives dealers the fits when you give them the TSB. First question asked is where did you get this.....course some dummy probably told the truth.

A/T - Stalls and/or Surges at Stop

File In Section: 07 Transmission/Transaxle

Bulletin No.: 00-07-30-006

Date: May, 2000

TECHNICAL

Subject:
    Stalls/Surges at Stop or When Shifted to Drive or Reverse (Install Updated Calibration)

Models:
    1998-2000 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Models and G Van with Hydra-Matic 4L80-E Transmission (RPO MT1)

This bulletin is being revised to include additional model years and new Correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 87-71-63 (Section 7 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition

Some owners may comment on an engine stall or a slight surge at a stop or when the transmission is shifted into drive or reverse.

Cause

The transmission calibration may not be optimal for the best engine/transmission performance.

Correction

Install the latest new calibration.

Parts Information

The calibrations listed are electronic calibrations and are NOT available from GMSPO. Calibrations will be available from Techline starting January 2000, on the TIS 2000 Disk 2 CD ROM.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

LaborOperation Description Labor Time
    J6355 On-Car Reprogramming. Use published
    Transmission labor operation time
    obyone you should start your own site

I have scanned the nickel plated slip yoke tsb and the one for new 4 door latchs (ext cab doors hard closing when cold)
  • mwillemwille Member Posts: 15
    my 00 2500 Extended cab 4X4 6L loaded 8' box now has 44k needs a third set of rear tires.chevy checked everything frame,etc.says every thing is ok.I have lost control several times with the rear end fishtailing.(had some damage to the truck). Also has the engine knock. Has been to the dealer alot of times. BBB who't help(milage to high)GM hot line is a joke(talked to them aleast 20 times).HELP PLEASE anyone know GM'S "CEO" home telephone number.Thanks
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Can you post the TSB's for the slip yoke and the doors?

Thanks!
    I gotta rescan them then i can email them to you

Send me an email to remind me ok
  • mugstermugster Member Posts: 16
    Is the TSB on the nickel plated slip yoke the current TSB telling dealers not to install it?

Last I heard was that GM is advising not to install it and that they were working on a third fix.

The nickel plated yoke works for about 3000 miles and then the noise comes back. Similar to greasing the splines.

Here is the original TSB

Info - Discontinue Flushing and Replacing Transfer Case Fluid Due to Bump/Clunk Concern #99-04-21-004A
    Discontinue Flushing and Replacing Transfer Case Fluid Due to Bump/Clunk Concern
    1998-2000 Chevrolet and GMC K1-2 Pickup and Full-Size Utility Models

1999-2000 Cadillac Escalade

with NP246 Automatic Transfer Case (RPO NP8)

This bulletin is being issued to cancel Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-004. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-004 (Section 04 - Driveline/Axle).

This bulletin is being issued to advise dealerships to no longer flush and replace the transfer case fluid when a customer comments about a "bump" feeling when the vehicle accelerates from a stop.

When Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-004 was issued, a new transfer case fluid had just been developed to correct this condition. Currently, a nickel-plated slip yoke is being developed that will correct this condition. A new bulletin will be issued as soon as parts are available.

Please share the information in this bulletin with customers who may inquire about this condition.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
  • mannwimannwi Member Posts: 29
    Hi all and Ryan,

I originally posted #1738 on these problems and went to the dealer in January. The hydraulic lifters and the limited slip are "live with it" sort of things. The limited slip is a design thing. The hyraulic lifters have been a complaint with other customers, but the dealership has not been able to fix, even after taking one engine apart. So, if the lifter does not make the noise all the time....live with it.

The muffler is a different story. They believed me about the "oil can" problem and ordered a new one, indicating that others had the problem too. The "oil can" noise is what you hear once when the muffler is heating up, and again once when it is cooling down. It probably helped that I told them what I thought was wrong inside the muffler, based on having worked for a muffler co. for many years. Well the new one has "loose insides." Parts inside the muffler rattle a lot when cold. You can hear the parts rattle when you tap the tail pipe or muffler with your fist. We are waiting for another replacement muffler.

Mannwi
  • heathwheathw Member Posts: 2
    My 1998 Chevrolet extended cab Z-71 transmission just went out at 86,000. This truck was never mistreated and all maintenace was done as recommended in the manual. I knew it would be a shot in the dark to try for any assistance from the Chevrolet Corporation but it never hurts to ask. They did admit that a transmission should not go out after 86,000 miles but they would not give me any assistance because of mileage (I didn't really expect it). All of my budies said that my transmission would go out at 75 or 80K as theirs did, so I am guessing this is a widespread problem. Also, I asked for a stat on how many trucks like mine have had this problem and the lady said they don't have that information. I don't believe that, does anyone have any info.
    anybody ever get a rattle in the passenger side airbag cover? i live in phoenix so it only gets in the 30-40s but thats when it happens when it gets cool.
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    I am working to get rid of my 2000 Sierra due to numerous problems. I know a couple of guys who have told me "if you have a GM with auto trans, you had better be driving by a repair shop when you hit 100K miles because the trans will conk out then".
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    My last Chevy truck trans lasted 40K easy no-tow miles. Cost $2325 to replace. Chevy dealer was so helpful to point out that if reliability was important to me, I should have bought a Toyota. Dealer was Bayside Chevrolet/Toyota in Prince Frederick, MD. I don't go there anymore, YMMV.

A lot of us use Mobil 1 or other synthetics in our engines - but I don't worry about the engine -it is most likely going to last much much longer than the GM tranny. Anybody have a auto trans fail after using synthetic trans fluid? Should we all start "GM tranny savings accounts"?
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Forget about writing to GM CEO, I did that when I was first trying to buy my Y2K 2500 Silverado from a dealer who could not get an allotment for the truck, Got NO reply to my letter what so ever. If you still insist on writing go to the GM web site and thru there you can track down the CEO and his corporate address, that's how I got it.

Ray T.
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    My 99 silverado 5.3 auto is doing what I call 2nd gear starts again, only intermitantly but about once a month. From a stop it is sluggish then clunk its in 1st and then it goes normal.Does anyone know if there is a cure or is this one of the "normal" things these trans. do? I'm a week away from warrantee expiring and would appreciate any info. Thanx Todd
    has your dealer updated your trans programming? Might want to check into that. Other than that, when did you service your trans last? Just curious on the second question.
  • rich32rich32 Member Posts: 9
    I'm wondering if anyone has this problem and knows what might be causing it: When I start my truck, 5.3l, when it is cold in the morning I get an annoying buzzing sound that seems to come from the engine compartment. It goes away after the engine comes off fast idle. The noise is fairly loud and my guess is that something in the engine compartment is vibrating against a part of the chassis or body.
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    I had it at the dealer for this and they gave me the old "can't duplicate problem".So as far as I know no reprograming was done. The truck has only 26k miles on it so I haven't serviced the trans.
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    Is it more like a shudder? I thought I saw a tsb in the past for a driveshaft replacement on the 2wd models. Going from a 2 piece to a 1 piece driveshaft? You might want to check with the local dealer.
  • crash269crash269 Member Posts: 9
    I have an '02 Silverado and love it...first "new" vehicle purchase. Today though, as I was letting her warm up and defrost the windows, I noticed the fan was starting to make noise. I'm sure the fan itself is out of balance or has come loose somehow to cause it to lose balance on the higher fan speed settings. I was wondering if anybody else has ever had a problem like this. Other than that I've already got about 8500 miles in about 2 1/2 mos. and don't have any other probs.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    >as I was letting her warm up and defrost the windows, I noticed the fan was starting to make noise.<

The fan has a built in thermostat. It free-wheels when cold, but engages when more cooling air is needed through the radiator, at which time it will make more noise.
    bedcover on over the weekend and currently have four wheels in boxes in the bed. Definitely seemed like the "bounce" was less this morning with the extra weight.
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    I'm glad you could notice a difference. I also have a hard bedcover on mine from Gaylords in Bellflower CA which I really like. They put it on, so I am not sure how heavy it is. However, even with the "lifts," it isn't light. I think that a 2500HD is built to be loaded, so we can't expect an empty one to ride like a Cadillac, but we can reduce the bounce a bit. I am really happy with all aspects of mine - and really like those seat heaters on days like this - 24 degrees.
    cowboyjohn
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Look in your owners manual under cooling system - a section about fan noise may explain what you are hearing.

"You may also hear a fan noise when you start your engine. It will go away as the fan clutch partially disengages"
  • ak4x4ak4x4 Member Posts: 126
    24 degrees??? That's warm weather for us up here!! And camon seat heaters ROFLMAO!. Wish I had that option for my rear end! But I guess it all aboyt the person... Now was it -24 or 24 degrees?? Just wondering? How long them seats take to heat up anyway??
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    I believe that the fan noise mentioned by crash269 refers to the heater/defroster blower, not the engine cooling fan. Sometimes you get a bad one. Should be a simple enough fix by replacing it under warranty.
  • stef7stef7 Member Posts: 22
    I had this fan noise when my '99 silverado was new, this was caused by water entering in the fan by the firewall and freezing up when cold. I could hear little pieces of ice flying around and make the blower out of balance. I tried really hard to find the source of the leak but never did. It clogged itself with dirt, I guess, after a couple of weeks. Good luck.

Stef
  • crash269crash269 Member Posts: 9
    Yes it is the heater/ac/defrost fan, next time i'll clarify it a little better. I haven't had much time to look at it myself, but it definitely sounds like it's out of balance as the vibration increases as you turn the fan speed up, and ice would definitely cause it to be out of balance, but it never gets that cold where i'm at for that to happen. Warranty should cover it...I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for the replies though.
  • jmessz71jmessz71 Member Posts: 6
    I seem to be getting random chips in the paint of my 2000 Z71. The paint appears "thin" compared to previous vehicles I've owned. Has anyone else had similar problems and possible resolution?
This discussion has been closed.